Nah....Andy Welsh
    At least Andy Welsh was a true winger, and scored a goal for TFC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    You are giving Vanney an out with that comment, It's Vanney's tactic, always, pass pass pass, not shots, Stupid
    False. I get people don't like the product right now but this is false.

He has consistently told the media about the team not being decisive enough in the final third.

He has talked about the team passing aimlessly from side to side.

He talked about the team not making incisive runs & not recognized the opportunities to do so.

The aimless back passing is a product of timidity in some players &, in my mind, an overreliance on Bradley as the playmaker. Guys don't try the incisive pass enough. In my mind, Delgado & Auro are the worst at this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

He has consistently told the media about the team not being decisive enough in the final third.

He talked about the team not making incisive runs & not recognized the opportunities to do so.

The aimless back passing is a product of timidity in some players &, in my mind, an overreliance on Bradley as the playmaker. Guys don't try the incisive pass enough. In my mind, Delgado & Auro are the worst at this.
    I guess you may be right to a degree, it is just frustrating to see the tactic on the field to always recycle the ball, It has only come out from Vanney now that the players are not playing the way he wants them to, what about last year, it was the same recycling of the ball and then losing possession. It also seems like we are afraid or don't have the confidence to take a strike at net, you have to shoot to score, and the opposition defenders and goalkeeper aren't going to move out of the way to tap it in. Just random thoughts about 90% of TFC games these days

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess you may be right to a degree, it is just frustrating to see the tactic on the field to always recycle the ball, It has only come out from Vanney now that the players are not playing the way he wants them to, what about last year, it was the same recycling of the ball and then losing possession. It also seems like we are afraid or don't have the confidence to take a strike at net, you have to shoot to score, and the opposition defenders and goalkeeper aren't going to move out of the way to tap it in. Just random thoughts about 90% of TFC games these days
    I have actually seen/heard this from Vanney off & on much longer, and it has worried me in the past as well. I remember during the stretch a few years ago, when TFC kept dropping points after the other team went down a man (or two). And the team wasn't always going for the jugular in other games as well. A couple of times I heard Vanney say things during pre-game or half-time interviews, about how the team needed to play or change. (In fact, there were cases where folks on this forum were defending the team against complaints here on the forum, when people were actually posting things similar to what Vanney was saying.)

But immediately after these interviews, the team would often not execute what Vanney was suggesting. I think that's on both the players and the coach. Vanney has improved in a number of ways since then, especially when he has good players available. But when things aren't going well, he still seems to be lacking as a motivator and/or disciplinarian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

This is crap. While dealt a rough hand in terms of available players (get off your ass Curtis), Vanney this year is failing tactically and as a motivator of people.

What Vanney asks of his players does not match the capabilities of the players. Why are we playing this broad, expansive style when our CB's are a sore point? Why do we ask backup strikers that need help to play up top by themselves? Selection is somewhat baffling too. If playing everything through Bradley is a problem, why didn't they consider introducing Fraser earlier? He can clearly be a second pivot capable of moving the ball. Why did it take a massive unavailability of players to get Laryea a shot in a wide role? It's obvious he has the pace to play there and given his greenness defensively it's a more sensical choice than fullback. We have also been crying out for wingers. Was that not an obvious solution to a problem that should have been explored earlier? This is classic Vanney. Problems are thought of a conceptual as opposed to in a practical way. If the exact tool he needs isn't in his cupboard, the problem to him is that he doesn't have the tools, not that he needs to find a way to work with what he has.

Now let's rewind to the start of the season. This team started punching way above its weight given what we saw at the end of 2018. It somehow found ways to put up points despite the loss of 2 of our best players plus the short term unavailability of Altidore. Management should be pretty grateful for that because, as we can clearly see over a longer period of time, these players can't sustain that level of performance with regularity. Now the wind starts blowing in the other direction and the coach trots out in front of the press and drops "we talked about X". Basically, what this says is, "I'm blameless here, my players can't do a job". It's very thinly veiled to the point of being obvious. If i'm one of the guys on this team that doesn't normally start and that's what I hear from the coach, I'm completely demotivated. If I play better than expected it will quickly be forgotten and if i play worse than expected I'll go under the bus. And on top of that, I don't see any inkling of thought from the coach that maybe when we lose he plays some role in what the results are too.

I think we are getting close to the point where a new manager makes sense. The issue is I don't partially trust the people who will be finding a new manager either.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 06-02-2019 at 02:36 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Vanney has improved in a number of ways since then, especially when he has good players available. But when things aren't going well, he still seems to be lacking as a motivator and/or disciplinarian.
    I think you have an important point here.
    He wants to be a motivational coach in style. However he has a naturally "cool" personality. Motivational coaches that do well fall into two camps:

(1) the coach you are willing to die for. This is the coach that everyone loves to play for and will do anything for. The players love him and they will give their all.

(2) the coach who terrifies you. This coach will make you run endless laps for discipline and you don't dare complain. The players are motivated to play for him because he's hard ass and they perform or else.

Vanney doesn't fit either of those styles. That's ok when he has players with experience and a professional attitude. If his team is stocked with a Bradley, a Vazquez, Jozy, Giovinco and a supporting cast like Moore and Beitashour you're fine.

If you have a lot of inexperienced players or players who don't automatically give their all he can't get them to perform.

It still comes back to Curtis, either he has to rebuild the team with the right kind of players, or he has to get a coach that works with the players we got.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 06-02-2019 at 03:22 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great night at Joe's, anyway.

Anybody else hear that side comment on Extratime that Vanney is expected to be the USA Coach when he's done with us? Interesting. American vs Toronto perception. Meh.

Carry on
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Great night at Joe's, anyway.

Anybody else hear that side comment on Extratime that Vanney is expected to be the USA Coach when he's done with us? Interesting. American vs Toronto perception. Meh.

Carry on
    I figured something like that, especially forcing us to play with everyone on the USMNT. Good image, young, etc. and his links to MLS FO and a lot of other programs.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    I figured something like that, especially forcing us to play with everyone on the USMNT. Good image, young, etc. and his links to MLS FO and a lot of other programs.
    This has been talked about before - Vanney is the likely coach in 2026. This is why I think the Vanney out talk is going nowhere as that would only happen if we don't get in the playoffs.

Which is where I remind people I think we won't make the playoffs so....yes I think it likely we have another manager next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is Michael Bradley’s team. It has been since he arrived. The impression is that he is the one who cracked the whip. Not the coach. Manning’s policy of forcing DPs to play out their contract before renewal might well be having an impact here - even someone as professional and immensely hard working as Bradley isn’t immune to normal emotions and doubts - and even if he is, his command of the dressing room isn’t the same when he hasn’t been re-signed.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 06-02-2019 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least Andy Welsh was a true winger, and scored a goal for TFC
    If I recall correctly.........you were the President of the Andy Welsh Fanboy Club!
    Andy Welsh was not a true winger.........because he couldn't cross the ball to save his life. All he did was run aimlessly up and down the wing.

That 'goal' he scored was beauty.......he jumped up for a header and completely missed the ball, luckily, it bounced off his shoulder and into the net. Those truly were some dark times...........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have nothing against Michael Bradley (quite the opposite), but if Liam Fraser can play like that then do we need to spend DP money on a defensive midfielder?
    I actually though Delgado had a good game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/ma...-fc/audi-index

I know there's lots of reason to be skeptical of this sort of thing, but Fraser tallied the best ranking on the field, with only Pozuelo and Delgado being close. (DeLeon got a lot of ranking in his short shift, but 75% of his points are straight out of the goal, so...) Opta lists Crepeau as Vancouver's best player on the day, which feels about right.

I'm with Lil' John, I thought Delgado wasn't bad at all (in the context of what was a pretty dreary game). I'm in no way a fan of his - I've wanted him benched for a fair bit of this season - but the last couple of games he seems to be emerging from his fog.