Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know how we don't score to win at the end. Chicago was playing insanely recklessly (since they had to win). We should've buried one.

Disappointing game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disappointing that we continue to fall just short in games that are there to be won.

I don’t get Vanney’s in-game management. Never have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a wild half. Both teams clearly knowing a draw wouldn't really do anything and just going all out.

A home game is still possible but we would need DC to not beat Cincy at home and even if that happened and we went to fourth I don't know how Pozo is going to find the energy to keep going

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Games played on cow pitches usually look like what the cows plop on them.

EVERYTHING about this game follows from that. Every complaint about passing & people looking tired etc. can be put down to playing on a long grass gridiron pitch in the rain (that's who uses it now during the week - high school football)

I take absolutely nothing from that game in terms of tactics & player capability except for watching Bono shank that one out.

As for the home game in the playoffs, it would be great and it is now unlikely but I fancy us against any of the teams in the East away. Especially after 2 weeks rest for all but the international call ups. We get into that cup competition and see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seriously, just how bad is Auro. Painful to watch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it just me or is anyone else happy that Crew are beating Philly which would make it a nice possibility that if Atlanta beats NE at home next week, they will play each other again in Round One (and we can avoid a trip to Atlanta in Round 1), and if the higher seeds win next week (DC at home to Cin. and NYRB at Montreal who have nothing to play for now), then we can finish 6th and play at Philly which seems way more desirable...again, a move to 5th is the other less desirable option to me along with going to Atlanta in Round 1. (maybe Mtl steals a point? I can't see Cin winning at DC even without Rooney).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think Gallargo and Benezet change the outcome of this game if they had of appeared. for all of Endoh's progress this year he is barely marked on the pitch and rightfully so. Gallardo/Benezet at least pull players away and that create space for Poz which was seriously limited for him today. im not convinced Endoh is mls quality, one more game to get some rhythm with the wingers, maybe rest Altidore and Pozuelo next sunday and charge into the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Red View Post
    Seriously, just how bad is Auro. Painful to watch.
    Hes not bad at all. Actually hes been ranked as the 4th best player on whoscored all season on tfc. That goal wasnt his fault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Games played on cow pitches usually look like what the cows plop on them.

EVERYTHING about this game follows from that. Every complaint about passing & people looking tired etc. can be put down to playing on a long grass gridiron pitch in the rain (that's who uses it now during the week - high school football)

I take absolutely nothing from that game in terms of tactics & player capability except for watching Bono shank that one out.

As for the home game in the playoffs, it would be great and it is now unlikely but I fancy us against any of the teams in the East away. Especially after 2 weeks rest for all but the international call ups. We get into that cup competition and see.
    Good points

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I don't know how we don't score to win at the end. Chicago was playing insanely recklessly (since they had to win). We should've buried one.

Disappointing game.
    True. But Chicago also could easily have scored 2 or 3 more, especially in the first half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2-2 was fair. But i still cant see why Jozy's goal was called back. And why Gaitan didnt get a red.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcfans View Post
    Is it just me or is anyone else happy that Crew are beating Philly which would make it a nice possibility that if Atlanta beats NE at home next week, they will play each other again in Round One (and we can avoid a trip to Atlanta in Round 1), and if the higher seeds win next week (DC at home to Cin. and NYRB at Montreal who have nothing to play for now), then we can finish 6th and play at Philly which seems way more desirable...again, a move to 5th is the other less desirable option to me along with going to Atlanta in Round 1. (maybe Mtl steals a point? I can't see Cin winning at DC even without Rooney).
    agreed, i have kind of estimated the odds of next weeks games involving tfc, nyrb and dc. from this i was able to estimate the probability of tfc finishing in 4th place.
    the probability of tfc finishing in 4th place is around 7%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i will be really disapointed in the mls if bradley, jozy and oso play in international call ups when they could be resting for the playoffs.
    for me it would really sort of invalidate the whole season. it makes the whole season kind of a bad joke.
    its almost like you cant take this league seriously, just enjoy the home games for entertainment sake but don't place all your emphasis on winning the mls cup because these guys and the league sure dont. it is just a job to them

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished watching the game on tape delay, and it was pretty disappointing. Our chance to get a home playoff game and we let it slip away from a Chicago team that just wasn't that good. Now, I do think that 6th is a better place to start the playoffs than 4th or 5th, but sad that me, my son and my dad will likely not get to see a playoff game at home now. Seems like there are any number of TFC teams out there this season (LAFC, tonight, etc.), and coaching that still makes me scratch my head.

Now, while I can live with finishing 6th (rather than 4th or 5th), I cannot live with finishing 7th, so we better win next weekend!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    agreed, i have kind of estimated the odds of next weeks games involving tfc, nyrb and dc. from this i was able to estimate the probability of tfc finishing in 4th place.
    the probability of tfc finishing in 4th place is around 7%
    DC and NYRB both lose and TFC wins. Then TFC is 4th. Not very likely, but possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    DC and NYRB both lose and TFC wins. Then TFC is 4th. Not very likely, but possible.
    i will have the real numbers around wednesday when odds have come out and settled to what they are going to be
    i believe these numbers are fairly accurate but again hard figures i will have by wednesday

lets asume tfc has 65% chance of beating columbus
    lets assume dc has a 30% chance of not winning at home vs cincinnati
    lets assume nyrb has a 62% chance of not winning at montreal

.65*.3=.2
    .65*.62=.4

.4*.2=.08 both events have to occur, nyrb not win and dc not win, so you have to multiply each event by each other

8% chance of 4th place

correct me if i made a mistake in my math

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you did. All three events need to occur, but TFC only has to win once. It should be .65*.3*.62 = 0.1209 or 12% chance.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

disappointing to see this end in a tie but yes it could have been worse with all the attacks they had in the first half.
    Jozy seriously looks like he's in a world of hurt right now. However i think his first goal should have counted, i replayed it over and over and didn't really see much besides the grabbing and the ref had a great angle and called it right away. (first thing that popped in my head was someone earlier said this is a conspiracy and they want Chicago to win their last game at the stadium haha). However his goal that did count came off a great steal by delgado and an actual pass that made it through to Jozy. He hit a career high for assists now even though his passing is questionable at best, but glad he has put in the work this season. Jozy should have had a few more as he had the other chance in the first half. somethings up with his final touch..even on the goal he chose to try and slip it through the keepers legs...

Anyone else see Benezet on the sidelines on their corner kick and he wouldn't get out of the way, even after he was pushed by their player. wish we could have seen him on the pitch!

as for the play on westburg that was terrible, he had no chance of getting the ball and just put our keeper in danger..has anyone got a report on how he is doing?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    Anyone else see Benezet on the sidelines on their corner kick and he wouldn't get out of the way, even after he was pushed by their player. wish we could have seen him on the pitch!

as for the play on westburg that was terrible, he had no chance of getting the ball and just put our keeper in danger..has anyone got a report on how he is doing?
    Benezet is the exact type of little feces sort of guy I want next year if we do play a Mexican team or to in the Leagues Cup.

As for Westberg, Vanney said after the game that the Chicago doctor made the call to pull him off - as per league protocal, that doc can make that call - as Westberg was saying at the beginning of that concussion check that he had double vision, the best thing in the long run.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so...I am pretty sure I already know the answer to this (and it didn't happen, but it could have). Let's say we had already used our 3 subs, and then this happens with Westburg...and the home field doctor decides he's got to come off. Who do we put in nets since we cannot make the substitute? Should there not be at least some type of concussion protocol where if your goalie has to come out that you can have an additional sub just for that. Players are different you can go down to 10 men and continue playing but goalie is a fairly critical role...? thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so...I am pretty sure I already know the answer to this (and it didn't happen, but it could have). Let's say we had already used our 3 subs, and then this happens with Westburg...and the home field doctor decides he's got to come off. Who do we put in nets since we cannot make the substitute? Should there not be at least some type of concussion protocol where if your goalie has to come out that you can have an additional sub just for that. Players are different you can go down to 10 men and continue playing but goalie is a fairly critical role...? thoughts?
    He's tall, a centre back, can kick accurately, and is very athletic. not sure anyone else from our outfield would be better between the sticks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i will have the real numbers around wednesday when odds have come out and settled to what they are going to be
    i believe these numbers are fairly accurate but again hard figures i will have by wednesday

lets asume tfc has 65% chance of beating columbus
    lets assume dc has a 30% chance of not winning at home vs cincinnati
    lets assume nyrb has a 62% chance of not winning at montreal

.65*.3=.2
    .65*.62=.4

.4*.2=.08 both events have to occur, nyrb not win and dc not win, so you have to multiply each event by each other

8% chance of 4th place

If we win on Sunday, according to this site (http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/TorontoFC.html), we have a 22% chance to get 4th place. However, this is not taking into consideration the DC and NYRB results. They all overall assessment for all the TFC results and it is 12% to get into 4th place.

Regardless of the results, the chances are slim to have a home game in Round 1.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pfk View Post
    If we win on Sunday, according to this site (http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/TorontoFC.html), we have a 22% chance to get 4th place. However, this is not taking into consideration the DC and NYRB results. They all overall assessment for all the TFC results and it is 12% to get into 4th place.

Regardless of the results, the chances are slim to have a home game in Round 1.
    early odds are out on oddsportal. https://www.oddsportal.com/soccer/usa/mls/

TFC win 1.64= 1/1.64= 61% chance win
    NYRB win 2.52= 1/2.52 =40% of win, 60% chance not win
    DC win 1.54=1/1.54=65% of win, 35% chance not win

.61*.6*.61*.35=7.8% man am I good I was so close yesterday.

NE 6.51 = 1/6.51 = 15% NE win

NE win 15% TFC loss 39%

for NE to get 6th place they need to win plus tfc to lose which is 0.15*0.39= 6%
    Last edited by stevep; 09-30-2019 at 11:03 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An outfield player goes in net. That is all they can do. Knowing Bradley he would take that on. I still remember watching a EPL game where John Terry went in net for Chelsea for this exact scenario. Hardly happens but it does happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.61*.6*.61*.35=7.8% man am I good I was so close yesterday.
    Actually, TFC still only has to win once. .61 * .6 * .35 = 0.128 or 13%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Actually, TFC still only has to win once. .61 * .6 * .35 = 0.128 or 13%
    man you have got me intrigued now. oldtimer said my math was correct

here was my assumption

(tfc win NYRB loss) and (TFC dc united loss) (.61*.6) X (.61*.35)

they are two separate events no?? this is like the monty hall problem, love it!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

so i multipled the two separate events together.

did i do it wrong?? its been over 30 years since i took year 1 statistics
    Last edited by stevep; 09-30-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(tfc win NYRB loss) and (TFC dc united loss) (.61*.6) X (.61*.35)

they are two separate events no?? this is like the monty hall problem, love it!!

so i multipled the two separate events together.

did i do it wrong?? its been over 30 years since i took year 1 statistics
    You are very close!

You are calculating this correctly (2 separate events): (tfc win NYRB loss)
    and, separately, this correctly (also, 2 separate events): (tfc win DC loss)
    But what we actually want to calculate is 3 separate events: (tfc win NYRB loss DC loss), which is simply the odds of each event multiplied.
    Last edited by Graeme; 09-30-2019 at 01:18 PM. Reason: most explanation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    You are very close!

You are calculating this correctly (2 separate events): (tfc win NYRB loss)
    and, separately, this correctly (also, 2 separate events): (tfc win DC loss)
    But what we actually want to calculate is 3 separate events: (tfc win NYRB loss DC loss), which is simply the odds of each event multiplied.
    Yes. Brain lapse on my part

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    An outfield player goes in net. That is all they can do. Knowing Bradley he would take that on. I still remember watching a EPL game where John Terry went in net for Chelsea for this exact scenario. Hardly happens but it does happen.
    I remember this happening for TFC. I think that Hagglund went in net.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    We have completely lost the winning mentality. MP reason for us to expect a win or a significant play off run.