Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So two games in and we have scored 6 goals. Now we have Jozy back and Pozuelo in..I think our goal scoring situation is going to be OK for now. I’d be careful moving Bradley from a DM position while our CB situation is still very fragile. Ciman and Mavinga are a long way from reliable form. The main focus should be on keeping a clean sheet on Friday. We will score goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nobody asked this the presser today.
    is tfc going 4-3-3 on Friday?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevep View Post
    nobody asked this the presser today.
    is tfc going 4-3-3 on Friday?
    I didn’t watch the whole thing but I’m gonna guess, Yes.

Aside from formations, I’m a believer in playing the best 11.

1) Pozuelo
    2) Altidore
    3) Bradley
    4) Mavinga
    5) Morrow
    6) Akinola (sounds crazy I know)
    7) Osorio
    8) Moor
    9) Deleon
    10) Auro
    11) Ciman
    12) Delgado
    13) Hamilton

Etc

4-4-3

Akinola-Altidore-Deleon
    Osorio-Pozuelo-Bradley
    Morrow-Mavinga-Moor-Auro

These are our best 10 players in my opinion. This lineup can compete. Top 4 lineup in the east

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    I didn’t watch the whole thing but I’m gonna guess, Yes.

Aside from formations, I’m a believer in playing the best 11.

1) Pozuelo
    2) Altidore
    3) Bradley
    4) Mavinga
    5) Morrow
    6) Akinola (sounds crazy I know)
    7) Osorio
    8) Moor
    9) Deleon
    10) Auro
    11) Ciman
    12) Delgado
    13) Hamilton

Etc

4-4-3

Akinola-Altidore-Deleon
    Osorio-Pozuelo-Bradley
    Morrow-Mavinga-Moor-Auro

These are our best 10 players in my opinion. This lineup can compete. Top 4 lineup in the east
    It’s possible, but pretty imbalanced.

I see Pozo playing under Jozy and Ayo or playing off Jozy with us lining up fairly similar to how we normally do.

Testing the 4-3-3 with a player just being integrated against a direct rival and Eastern team who could burn us doesn’t seem to be the best idea, but who knows...

Seems more like they’re looking for acquisitions and will test out the 4-3-3 when it doesn’t hurt us. A 4-4-3 would be awesome though... if they threw Big Ben (where did he end up?) on no one would notice him so I’m sure it’d be fine.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we are more likely to see a 4-4-2 with a diamond in the midfield.

-----Altidore - Akinola---

-----------Pozuelo-------

-------Osorio - Deleon---

------------Bradley-------

Morrow-Mavinga-Moor-Auro
    Last edited by Bluenose13; 03-26-2019 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Sp
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post

Morrow-Mavinga-Moor-Auro
    This is more along the lines of what I was thinking. I think they will be pretty cautious with the 4-3-3 implementation and this is maybe not the game to do it. Vanney said he was going to have Pozuelo play the same position as he did in Genk so it should be an easier integration into our team. Anyone know where he was and in what formation for Genk?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    This is more along the lines of what I was thinking. I think they will be pretty cautious with the 4-3-3 implementation and this is maybe not the game to do it. Vanney said he was going to have Pozuelo play the same position as he did in Genk so it should be an easier integration into our team. Anyone know where he was and in what formation for Genk?
    Answer to my own question....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the back 3 more. I would go with a 3-4-1-2.

————--Ciman Moor Mavinga

Deleon/Auro Osorio Bradley Morrow

————————Pozuelo

——————Akinola Altidore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    I like the back 3 more. I would go with a 3-4-1-2.

————--Ciman Moor Mavinga

Deleon/Auro Osorio Bradley Morrow

————————Pozuelo

——————Akinola Altidore

Ciman hasn’t been great out of the gate but more importantly after these 3 CB’s there isn’t a whole lot of quality CB depth on the team. They may want to be careful with their minutes and rotate them as you know an injury will happen at some point

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Ciman hasn’t been great out of the gate but more importantly after these 3 CB’s there isn’t a whole lot of quality CB depth on the team. They may want to be careful with their minutes and rotate them as you know an injury will happen at some point
    That's fair but the team had played better with three at the back so far. Give ciman more time before benching him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zavaleta needs a start soon. Also if its a 2 up front Hamilton is likely due to hold up play. But that diamond makes sense to me given Vanney's past decisions and personnel available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Zavaleta needs a start soon. Also if its a 2 up front Hamilton is likely due to hold up play. But that diamond makes sense to me given Vanney's past decisions and personnel available.
    Zavaleta needs no starts and shouldn’t see the pitch unless it’s against a CPL team or due to injury.

Why would Hamilton start over Akinola in a front 2 with Jozy? Jozy is the hold up player in that scenario.

Won’t be surprised to see Pozo playing off Jozy and slotting in up front considering his quality and form. Seba was initially playing an AM role too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i’d try this

---------Jozy

Oso ---Pozo-- Deleon

---Bradley Delgado

Morrow Mavinga Moor Auro

I’d be tempted to bench Mavinga for Zavaletta or Ciman after that insane penalty tackle/assault. At this stage I’d be more concerned about putting a few clean sheets on the board.
    Last edited by Hamilton_Red; 03-27-2019 at 11:03 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    Zavaleta needs no starts and shouldn’t see the pitch unless it’s against a CPL team or due to injury.

Why would Hamilton start over Akinola in a front 2 with Jozy? .

The only reason we think Akinola is worthy of starting is the one game he got a shot in this year. Based on last year, nobody thought either Akinola or Zaveleta deserved a game.

IF Zaveleta works hard enough in practice to deserve a shot, he'll likely come of the bench at some point. Like it or not, at one point this season we are going to need a 4th CB & until we get another one in a trade, Zavs is it.

He regressed last year - can't tell if that's permanent until he gets into a game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The only reason we think Akinola is worthy of starting is the one game he got a shot in this year. Based on last year, nobody thought either Akinola or Zaveleta deserved a game.

IF Zaveleta works hard enough in practice to deserve a shot, he'll likely come of the bench at some point. Like it or not, at one point this season we are going to need a 4th CB & until we get another one in a trade, Zavs is it.

He regressed last year - can't tell if that's permanent until he gets into a game.
    If I recall correctly he did better with Moor beside him too than when he was with Hagglund so supporting cast around him will also be crucial if and when he sees the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would recommend people curb the expectations for this game.

NYCFC has played Orlando, LAFC and DC. All teams kicking off a good early start.

Toronto has played just two games both teams with multiple loses. In fact New England has scored just 3 goals in 4 games now.. 2 of them against us.

NYCFC will steam roll if the boys come out with the Form we saw against New England.

The Attack will be better though rusty I'm sure. The Defence though is a mess because once again for the second off season in a row we have done nothing to actually improve it. We literally replaced a young CB with an old one and lost a RB without replacing him at all really. Oh and of course we lost 2 forwards 1 starting and 1 depth and midfielder and replaced 1 depth forward and the midfielder.

So over all we are two pieces down at front and back and no better in any other role. That means we need to really curb our expectations and hope the defence steps up.

Honestly I see this being 3-1 for NYCFC I know that is a downer but I'd rather be surprised by a win or a tie rather than disappointed by the likely loss.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    I would recommend people curb the expectations for this game.

NYCFC has played Orlando, LAFC and DC. All teams kicking off a good early start.

Toronto has played just two games both teams with multiple loses. In fact New England has scored just 3 goals in 4 games now.. 2 of them against us.

NYCFC will steam roll if the boys come out with the Form we saw against New England.

The Attack will be better though rusty I'm sure. The Defence though is a mess because once again for the second off season in a row we have done nothing to actually improve it. We literally replaced a young CB with an old one and lost a RB without replacing him at all really. Oh and of course we lost 2 forwards 1 starting and 1 depth and midfielder and replaced 1 depth forward and the midfielder.

So over all we are two pieces down at front and back and no better in any other role. That means we need to really curb our expectations and hope the defence steps up.

Honestly I see this being 3-1 for NYCFC I know that is a downer but I'd rather be surprised by a win or a tie rather than disappointed by the likely loss.
    So just expect to lose every game then...then you are not surprised if it happens and pleasantly surprised when it doesn't. Seems like a good recipe to never be disappointed. I myself can't take that view though. Your post makes it seem like we will be lucky to tie or win this one but I just can't see it that way despite some of the shaky moments. When I watch other games with other MLS teams they are also having shaky moments. Not solely a TFC thing. Just early season MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any indication of whether pozuelo will start?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post

Why would Hamilton start over Akinola in a front 2 with Jozy? Jozy is the hold up player in that scenario.

Won’t be surprised to see Pozo playing off Jozy and slotting in up front considering his quality and form. Seba was initially playing an AM role too.
    Zavaletta needs a start so he is ready as depth, and as a test of ability. Vanney spoke about rotation. Hamilton is a hold up player. Jozy can but it isnt the best use of his talent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Zavaletta needs a start so he is ready as depth, and as a test of ability. Vanney spoke about rotation. Hamilton is a hold up player. Jozy can but it isnt the best use of his talent.
    Now isn't the time to start zavs. When the schedule gets busier then you can plug him in the starting lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Now isn't the time to start zavs. When the schedule gets busier then you can plug him in the starting lineup.
    I am not saying he should start. I am saying he needs a start, and Vanney has spoken to rotation. So I think he will start, if not this game, soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Any indication of whether pozuelo will start?
    Pozuelo said he's ready to play on Friday, so I think it's fair to say he'll be starting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Pozuelo said he's ready to play on Friday, so I think it's fair to say he'll be starting.
    Of course it’s likely, but new acquisitions often start from the bench. So not certain.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The weekly training ground interview with Vanney hinted at a few things.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/0...?autoplay=true

They won't start rotation of players yet - but its coming in May
    Poz may or may not start (Vanney's not going to tip his hand)
    Bradley is going to play
    Vanney changed things up the first 2 games from what the team is going to play in order to get results while waiting for the team to all get together (i.e. Jozy healthy & Poz in the fold)
    NYC is not going to change how it plays for just its one new player - he expects them to want the ball and to look to create spaces to move into & exploit
    Mitrita sounds a lot like Piatti - comes in from the left & operates in space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The weekly training ground interview with Vanney hinted at a few things.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/0...?autoplay=true

They won't start rotation of players yet - but its coming in May
    Poz may or may not start (Vanney's not going to tip his hand)
    Bradley is going to play
    Vanney changed things up the first 2 games from what the team is going to play in order to get results while waiting for the team to all get together (i.e. Jozy healthy & Poz in the fold)
    NYC is not going to change how it plays for just its one new player - he expects them to want the ball and to look to create spaces to move into & exploit
    Mitrita sounds a lot like Piatti - comes in from the left & operates in space
    Héber is supposed to miss this match (or NYC now has next level mind games planned), so we can probably expect how they’ve been setup so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    So just expect to lose every game then...then you are not surprised if it happens and pleasantly surprised when it doesn't. Seems like a good recipe to never be disappointed. I myself can't take that view though. Your post makes it seem like we will be lucky to tie or win this one but I just can't see it that way despite some of the shaky moments. When I watch other games with other MLS teams they are also having shaky moments. Not solely a TFC thing. Just early season MLS.
    Or maybe we should actually work on our defence?

11' 19' 35' 48' 53' 79'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post

Morrow-Mavinga-Moor-Auro
    I like this. Akinola deserves to start again in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because why the hell not ...

[

IMG][/IMG]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Odds for tfc win increased nicely today
    they opened on Tuesday at around 2.15 tfc win now down to 1.95 tfc win

what does this mean??? is pozo starting??

i predict by time starting lineup is announced odds will drop to 1.80 tfc win

TFC TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets not forget the fact that Chris Penso is in charge of this game. How he still has a job with PRO is beyond me.

In lighter news I hope both Jozy and Pozo get the start tonight. I can't wait to see their link up play.