Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two things are odd here, these are also facts not rumours.

1. Nesta was a sitting in the Impact booth.
    2. He was with Corradi and Ferrari.

Now I could be totally wrong but I would think there would never be a chance in hell that the Impact would let TFC invite Alessandro Nesta to a match in Montreal and then sit him in the Impact booth with two Impact players. I want this Nesta rumour to be true but everything points it to not being true. The blog post states two player agents said its "highly likely" Nesta would sign with TFC and that an Impact insider said he was a guest of Toronto. Doesn't sound too promising to me.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ I was thinking that as well, unless he was a guest of MLS and where he may end up is still unsettled.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Horrible, Nesta is nowhere near what he used to be even two years ago. In 2010, this might have been a good signing as a DP, but right now, I would find it hard to believe that Nesta could beat out a defender like Kevin McKenna in MLS. If anything it would have been better business to attract a centre back like McKenna to TFC on a DP contract in 2013. This is just a ploy to sell the brand. Should of just gone out and signed a Korean striker. I would have accepted Long Tan from the Whitecaps just to build depth behind Koevermans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love Nesta even though I think he's lost a few steps.

I just don't know why (if both Montreal and Tfc are interested) he would ever choose TFC.

It makes no sense.

Every logical reason would indicate that he'd sign with Montreal.

Familiar players
    Closer style mentality

I think he could Help our young cbs immensely but don't see why he'd want to play here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It makes more sense to me that he would go to TFC than Montreal. Montreal don't need him to sell tickets, TFC do. Montreal are pretty settled at the back. We're not.

I bet Nesta is seriously looking at this. He is probably here to have a look around. But Nesta could easily wind up at Juve, or somewhere of that stature.

His agent probably leaked it as part of working the price up in Italy of his Serie A options.

This is probably strictly about money, as his Serie A options are probably one year rentals.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post

I just don't know why (if both Montreal and Tfc are interested) he would ever choose TFC.

It makes no sense.

Familiar players
    Closer style mentality

I think he could Help our young cbs immensely but don't see why he'd want to play here.
    That's true, but stranger things have happened. TFC wasn't exactly setting the league on fire when Frings and Koevermans signed. Besides, T.O. has a larger Italian community than Montreal, and Nesta would be treated like royalty if he signed with TFC.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no expert on MLS. . I have been watching for only 6 years. . . but it seems to me that few of the 'BIG' names or former great whatever you want to call them have a massive impact on the squad and change the fortunes of the team.
    apart from Henry. . and possibly becks.

still takes a team to win.
    we can all agreed that JDGs salary can be better spent elsewhere though. . . . right?

Nesta? hey sure why not.
    Im not against ANYONE who wants to sign in Toronto.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post

It makes no sense.

Familiar players
    Closer style mentality

I begrudgingly agree. It stings like a kick in the cajones but the city, the players, the teams state...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS. were are going to blow DP money on a defender.

seriously. . we need to score.
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by [NBF] View Post
    Horrible, Nesta is nowhere near what he used to be even two years ago. In 2010, this might have been a good signing as a DP, but right now, I would find it hard to believe that Nesta could beat out a defender like Kevin McKenna in MLS. If anything it would have been better business to attract a centre back like McKenna to TFC on a DP contract in 2013. This is just a ploy to sell the brand. Should of just gone out and signed a Korean striker. I would have accepted Long Tan from the Whitecaps just to build depth behind Koevermans.
    McKenna. Man, if that happens I'll be happy but brace myself for the anti-Canada caution.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know how much allocation space there is? I think we have a fair amount so the Burgos wave means more about the spot than the money in my mind. As well I know a lot of people are incorrectly assuming certain cap hits with some of the players we picked up.

I have heard this about Nesta from a few different places now, but nothing is for sure until they call the presser. Lots of things change very fast in the world of player signings.

edit: nevermind about the spot, he counted as a US player.
    Last edited by Phil; 06-29-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    PS. were are going to blow DP money on a defender.

seriously. . we need to score.
    8 goals in the last three games isn't quite enough for you?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Anyone know how much allocation space there is? I think we have a fair amount so the Burgos wave means more about the spot than the money in my mind. As well I know a lot of people are incorrectly assuming certain cap hits with some of the players we picked up.

I have heard this about Nesta from a few different places now, but nothing is for sure until they call the presser. Lots of things change very fast in the world of player signings.
    Agreed. It was the space, not the money.

Allocation is the key I think. A long run in the CCL means some allocation money from the league. I wouldn't be shocked if they advanced us some. TFC is an embarassment to MLS at the moment and if they can help us in a way such as this, I wouldn't put it past them.

TFC has a bit of an aroma to it right now and I'm sure they'd like to open a window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tha Poopius Maximus odour

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    Duane Rollins and Kurt Larson are good journalists who cover the footy beat and have brought a lot of insight into the local scene which in my mind has been undeserved at times. Canadian Soccer News, Red Nation Online etc have found a good spot in the world of footy journalism to call there own. Chasing stories is the nature of the buiz and sometimes you get it right, other times wrong and then pieces of something different to come.

I always have believed that when a writer is having a story pushed on them or a something told to them, there is an agenda, an angle per say and it is their job to separate the fact from fiction.

I enjoy their insights and their writings bring attention to the team - which is an important part of Toronto FC. We used to scream for coverage of soccer - now it's here and we should support them as we do our team!
    Kurt, Duane - THANK YOU

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Horrible, Nesta is nowhere near what he used to be even two years ago. In 2010, this might have been a good signing as a DP, but right now, I would find it hard to believe that Nesta could beat out a defender like Kevin McKenna in MLS.
    If that's true, it's worrying.

I mean, we once signed a former "MLS Defender of the Year," Nick Garcia. By the time Mo brought his old (with emphasis on "old") buddy Nick in, Nick was one of the slowest defenders in the league.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    8 goals in the last three games isn't quite enough for you?!
    ITS NEVER ENOUGH!
    goals!
    goals!
    GOOAAALLss!!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OfficeGuy View Post
    I enjoy their insights and their writings bring attention to the team - which is an important part of Toronto FC. We used to scream for objective, fact-based coverage of soccer - now we have Kurt and Duane!

- THANK YOU

Fixed your post
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ian Holloway/Blackpool effect Goals and more goals, I say attacking football

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    If that's true, it's worrying.

I mean, we once signed a former "MLS Defender of the Year," Nick Garcia. By the time Mo brought his old (with emphasis on "old") buddy Nick in, Nick was one of the slowest defenders in the league.
    Whats the worst part about this rumour, is that if they sign him and he barely plays above Adrian Cann, he might get purged in the offseason, if they purge him he will give TFC a bad name. If he stays as a DP and his skill level drops to Nick Garcia levels, he will be a DP and be the 2013 version of DeGuzman. They might sell a few t-shirts by signing him, but they're digging a hole for themselves and its the same mistakes from day one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find this ludicrous. Even accepting the durability issue. Do you even watch Serie A games? Nesta had injury problems last year, but when he was healthy, he played. He was Milan's first choice CB.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdc 77 View Post
    Now I could be totally wrong but I would think there would never be a chance in hell that the Impact would let TFC invite Alessandro Nesta to a match in Montreal and then sit him in the Impact booth with two Impact players. I want this Nesta rumour to be true but everything points it to not being true. The blog post states two player agents said its "highly likely" Nesta would sign with TFC and that an Impact insider said he was a guest of Toronto. Doesn't sound too promising to me.
    Would it really be THAT strange? It's a single entity league and teams tend to help each other out. Let me put it this way: If Nesta said he wanted to go to the game in Montreal to sit with Corradi and Ferrari, are you going to tell him no if your TFC?

It isn't exactly celtic-rangers here.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I find this ludicrous. Even accepting the durability issue. Do you even watch Serie A games? Nesta had injury problems last year, but when he was healthy, he played. He was Milan's first choice CB.
    I like what you said better. I hope it's true.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I have not seen the guy play that often.

But I agree with you that playing for a top team in the Serie A says this guy has some serious ability. I guess the big questions are health and how much speed has he dropped. I'm sure he's dealt with much faster and skilled players. His ability to read the game and play positionally well can offset a drop in his own speed - to a degree. Then it just comes down to how durable he is to play week in and week out.

A guy like Nesta can make any team better. Just depends on the cost for him and how many games a team can get out of him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    To be honest, I have not seen the guy play that often.

But I agree with you that playing for a top team in the Serie A says this guy has some serious ability. I guess the big questions are health and how much speed has he dropped. I'm sure he's dealt with much faster and skilled players. His ability to read the game and play positionally well can offset a drop in his own speed - to a degree. Then it just comes down to how durable he is to play week in and week out.

A guy like Nesta can make any team better. Just depends on the cost for him and how many games a team can get out of him.
    Good summary.

Like I said, I think he will be expensive, and yes, he could easily break down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Would it really be THAT strange? It's a single entity league and teams tend to help each other out. Let me put it this way: If Nesta said he wanted to go to the game in Montreal to sit with Corradi and Ferrari, are you going to tell him no if your TFC?

It isn't exactly celtic-rangers here.
    Exactly. Joey wouldn't say no to that. Nesta, Corradi and Ferrari are Serie A alumni. I'm sure they would have enjoyed each others company although I would imagine that Corradi is a bit distressed at the moment. A torn ACL at 35 does not make for a bright future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nesta has lost a step, still reads the game well(one of the best ever in his position) but the physical aspect of the game is leaving him year by year.

It would be nice, but its a gamble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Nesta signing will benefit both Toronto and the CMNT. Even if he turns out to only be a shadow of himself, Doneil Henry will be learning from a player that was once one of the best central defenders in the history of the game. In fact, Nesta in his prime was THE best central defender imo. Top 3 in history at least.

As it is right now, Henry is learning from Frings, a midfielder, and/or Adrain Cann?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadlocks View Post
    As it is right now, Henry is learning from Frings, a midfielder, and/or Adrain Cann?
    As I kind of pointed out in the other thread, don't under estimate the ability of mediocre players to be great mentors. All-world players aren't always the best when it comes to teaching other people. Off the top of my head, I can think of more top players who credit lesser knowns colleages for their success than players of a similar ilk.

I don't think mentoring is the reason we should be using to justify a signing such as this.