Page 86 of 191 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136186 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Sao Paulo is zeroing in on Soteldo after bouncing back and forth between him and Costa.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess Gio could play right wing... I still hope a defender first.

Last edited by Bushmancan; 01-06-2022 at 06:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Luca Petrasso and Kobe Franklin are apparently signing homegrown deals
    Worthy signings. I watched a bunch of TFCII games this year. I've predicted those two signing homegrown deals on here a couple of times.

(I could also see them signing Vaikla as a third keeper - won't be considered homegrown though. Other prediction is signing Hugo Mbongue [Priso's brother]. He's 17 [turns 18 in July]. Didn't play much for TFC2 [was on amateur deal, not pro deal], mostly played with TFC3 in L1O, but team may want to sign him [ala JMR] before he turns 18 so they don't risk him leaving for free)
    Last edited by rydermike; 01-06-2022 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I wonder if Bradley will ask him to stay forward a lot more? He is gonna burden so much of the offensive burden here in Toronto and I think BB will be asking him to play in the free floating role he gave Carlos Vela at LAFC.
    Something has to give somewhere though as I would call Pozuelo about 60% on tracking back. He’s not entirely slack like Giovinco but sort of leaves the impression he’d rather not be doing it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Worthy signings. I watched a bunch of TFCII games this year. I've predicted those two signing homegrown deals on here a couple of times.

(I could also see them signing Vaikla as a third keeper - won't be considered homegrown though. Other prediction is signing Hugo Mbongue [Priso's brother]. He's 17 [turns 18 in July]. Didn't play much for TFC2 [was on amateur deal, not pro deal], mostly played with TFC3 in L1O, but team may want to sign him [ala JMR] before he turns 18 so they don't risk him leaving for free)
    I will be curious to see how contracts are handled for TFC II and all the teams in MLS Next Pro, will we see a number of additional development spots added to the MLS rosters or will there actually be a separate MLS Next Pro contract? In the past TFC typically had around a dozen signed to an actual USL contract, the rest of the game day rosters were either first teamers or academy callups.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It’s interesting how far back Insigne drops, he is regularly in a MF winger position. Does anyone who watches Serie A know how typical that is for him?
    Insigne covers a lot of ground. Often tracks back to basically a left-back position. He leads by example but I don't see him wanting to do so much defensive work here, and that's OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I will be curious to see how contracts are handled for TFC II and all the teams in MLS Next Pro, will we see a number of additional development spots added to the MLS rosters or will there actually be a separate MLS Next Pro contract? In the past TFC typically had around a dozen signed to an actual USL contract, the rest of the game day rosters were either first teamers or academy callups.
    They had 22 players on professional USL deals this year, basically a full roster, then used some first teamers on loan occasionally and the odd academy player (Hugo 10 times and Kwasi Poku once)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Looks like Sao Paulo is zeroing in on Soteldo after bouncing back and forth between him and Costa.

The sooner Soteldo goes the better. His DP spot is more important to move than Jozy. They can cut Jozy anytime before Insigne touches down but they can’t put themselves in the same position with Soteldo. They have to move him when they get the chance.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    They had 22 players on professional USL deals this year, basically a full roster, then used some first teamers on loan occasionally and the odd academy player (Hugo 10 times and Kwasi Poku once)
    Did not realize it was that high for signed USL deals. Was anyone allocated to TFC II in 2021 to open up a first team spot?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    The sooner Soteldo goes the better. His DP spot is more important to move than Jozy. They can cut Jozy anytime before Insigne touches down but they can’t put themselves in the same position with Soteldo. They have to move him when they get the chance.
    In a buyout situation do they need Jozy's approval if they simply give him all the remaining money, in that case can more or less be cut?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ali Curtis will tell us in two weeks….

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a buyout situation do they need Jozy's approval if they simply give him all the remaining money, in that case can more or less be cut?
    When I say cut I’m assuming they will pay the salary owed this season and use their one buyout allowed. His remaining 2022 salary is all they owe if he stays or goes. 2023 is an option year.

There’s rumors he’s angling to get paid for the 2023 option but that rumor is silly and I simply don’t believe it. If they had two candidates maybe but they don’t
    Last edited by Webdogg; 01-06-2022 at 07:57 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Figured it out, I hope...
    Back in the day...
    Here's a couple of great friends having some fun at the expense of a good friend and national team mate.
    Criscito on bed filming... Balotelli enters... C- It's hot in here... M- I'll turn on the AC...
    C- No it gives me a headache, just open the window for me...
    https://fb.watch/anhBag-IrS/

By the way, everyone better start brushing up on their Italian and learn the expression 'tiro a giro'.
    Got that feeling will be saying and talking about it a lot.
    https://youtu.be/vCn1MSnrAXs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I say cut I’m assuming they will pay the salary owed this season and use their one buyout allowed. His remaining 2022 salary is all they owe if he stays or goes. 2023 is an option year.

There’s rumors he’s angling to get paid for the 2023 option but that rumor is silly and I simply don’t believe it. If they had two candidates maybe but they don’t
    There is no "angling" involved. This is a black or white question. Either they owe him for the option year per the terms of how buyouts work, or they do not. Anyone know?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is no "angling" involved. This is a black or white question. Either they owe him for the option year per the terms of how buyouts work, or they do not. Anyone know?
    There’s absolutely angling involved. If they come to a “mutual” agreement then TFC can keep the buyout for someone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I know, in general terms, a buyout is only for guaranteed years.

Jozy has a no trade clause in his contract so there could be some specific terms in there surrounding a buyout/termination.

We probably won't know till if/when it happens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Likely entitled to full sum in case of a buy-out, but in practical terms he would never see that money because TFC is 0% likely to take up the option, hence the negotiation. Jozy has leverage because he knows the club has the money and needs to buy him out, the club has leverage because if they call the bluff Jozy won’t get the full amount anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC 2022
    @Total_TFC
    ·
    30m
    Eyes Andrea D'Amico was the intermediary for Toronto FC in the Insigne negotiations. He now says TFC was focused on Insigne as their main target, but they also have 5 or 6 other targets and will soon start working on more signings
    our euro gm?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There’s absolutely angling involved. If they come to a “mutual” agreement then TFC can keep the buyout for someone else.
    OK. Let me restate. I agree with that, but I was unclear.

I have no idea why Jozy at this point would accept less than his full buyout entitlement, whatever that is. I guess he might take a tiny bit less. But nobody else is going to pay him much on a new deal...

Put another way, if there was an angling angle, I suspect that would have happened already... TFC need that slot, and lost all leverage by signing Insigne. Jozy and TFC have been "locked horns" now for many months.

You raised another idea in my mind. Could they pay him MORE than the buyout to make it by mutual agreement and save the buyout for someone else?
    Last edited by ensco; 01-06-2022 at 08:41 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Likely entitled to full sum in case of a buy-out, but in practical terms he would never see that money because TFC is 0% likely to take up the option, hence the negotiation. Jozy has leverage because he knows the club has the money and needs to buy him out, the club has leverage because if they call the bluff Jozy won’t get the full amount anyway.
    This is why I said getting rid of Soteldo was top priority in my earlier post. They need one spot cleared for sure (assuming they don’t do two DP mid season) and if it’s Soteldo they can wait on Jozy until the day before Insigne is free. Image the leverage they’d have on Jozy when he knows he’s a dead man walking come June/July and TFC makes him go thru camp and early season games anyways. TFC could absolutely do so as they can have 4 DPs technically like LA did as long as it’s three before the contracts are live.
    If Jozy balks just start fining him and stop paying. I realize it won’t come to this but imagine the leverage they gain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im sure something is done with jozy.one way or another,he is on his honeymoon,the club may be respecting that,maybe we will hear something next week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be a mutual option, for example. We don’t really know but it’s most reasonable to assume that Jozy has to agree. So he has bargaining power and it’s in his interest to use it.

He would be amazing with Insigne, if he was in 2019 form. As you know, I think Jozy is a legend and vehemently disagree with those on these boards who seem to characterize his injuries as his fault. But it sure looked like 2020 and 2021 took something out of him. At the end of last season his touch near the net was brilliant, but every thing else about his game was a shell of its former self. I wonder if this might be the end and that if it is he will need to fight for every penny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure it was OG who said earlier that TFC would wait until the last day before they needed to be roster compliant to officially buy out Jozy which makes a ton of sense. Hold out on that very, very slight chance that a team comes in for him and saves you that buy out money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK. Let me restate. I agree with that, but I was unclear.

I have no idea why Jozy at this point would accept less than his full buyout entitlement, whatever that is. I guess he might take a tiny bit less. But nobody else is going to pay him much on a new deal...

Put another way, if there was an angling angle, I suspect that would have happened already... TFC need that slot, and lost all leverage by signing Insigne. Jozy and TFC have been "locked horns" now for many months.
    He won’t accept less than full buyout, I never said he would and in fact I said he’d get every penny for 2022 regardless. I said I didn’t believe the 2023 angle as it’s silly and would not work for him either.

There are only two ways I see where Jozy gets a penny more than his 2022 salary.
    1. Maybe they’d like to buyout someone like Bono too so Jozy could play that card. TFC would need someone to “mutually agree” as they only get one buyout. Again unlikely.
    2. Jozy finds a team to pay or send an asset to TFC that kicks in his next year. Again unlikely.

Regardless move Soteldo fast and any power play Jozy has instantly vanishes

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jozy's situation is already resolved, they are buying out his contract.

the main thing now is to get soteldo off the books, far from simple given his wages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why I said getting rid of Soteldo was top priority in my earlier post. They need one spot cleared for sure (assuming they don’t do two DP mid season) and if it’s Soteldo they can wait on Jozy until the day before Insigne is free. Image the leverage they’d have on Jozy when he knows he’s a dead man walking come June/July and TFC makes him go thru camp and early season games anyways. TFC could absolutely do so as they can have 4 DPs technically like LA did as long as it’s three before the contracts are live.
    If Jozy balks just start fining him and stop paying. I realize it won’t come to this but imagine the leverage they gain.
    Jozy has to be bought out before the season. Buyout once season starts and you do not get to use the salary cap space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Jozy has to be bought out before the season. Buyout once season starts and you do not get to use the salary cap space.
    Perhaps you are right but I don’t think that’s the case. DP do not have salary cap space. If one was transferred mid season you can backfill the DP spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps you are right but I don’t think that’s the case. DP do not have salary cap space. If one was transferred mid season you can backfill the DP spot.
    Unless the rules recently changed, you get one buyout and it’s off season.edit: so it’s not the cap per se, you just don’t have a buyout at all and the player is on your books for his full wages for the year , cap hit and DP status both. At least that’s the way it has been discussed before.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-06-2022 at 09:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a good question. Looking at the MLS Roster/Salary rules, it appears it would be quite disadvantageous for TFC to buyout Jozy after the beginning of the season. If I understand correctly, an offseason buyout results in the team recouping the full amount of cap space (so in Jozy's case, $612,500). However, if the buyout happens in-season, the buyout amount is charged to the cap space. Here is the language from the MLS site (https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/2021-...-regulations):

Buyout of Guaranteed Contract
    A club may buyout one player (including a Designated Player) who has a Guaranteed Contract during the offseason and free up the corresponding Salary Budget space. Such a buyout is at the club's expense. A club may not free up space in the Salary Budget with a buyout of a player's contract during the season. If a club buys out a player's contract during the season, the buyout amount will be charged against the club's Salary Budget.

Not freeing up the cap space could scuttle plans to bring in another DP level player mid-season. What I don't know and can't find anywhere is whether an in-season buyout even gives us back the DP slot. An offseason buyout of a DP for sure opens up a DP slot. Not sure about an in-season buyout. With this consideration, there may actually be more urgency to resolve Jozy's situation. It may be necessary to have him off the books prior to the first match on Feb 26, if the plan is to bring in 2 DPs mid-season. And if there is no apparent movement on a Jozy buyout, could we interpret that as his still being in contention to play for TFC this season? I dunno. But if TFC for certain needs his DP slot, there doesn't seem to be any logic in waiting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Unless the rules recently changed, you get one buyout and it’s off season.edit: so it’s not the cap per se, you just don’t have a buyout at all and the player is on your books for his full wages for the year , cap hit and DP status both. At least that’s the way it has been discussed before.
    100% agree on a regular player. The cap space is locked down and the buyout has to be submitted before the season starts to get the salary space.

If you look in the league rules it’s says the following (direct paste)

“If a club buys out a player's contract during the season, the buyout amount will be charged against the club's Salary Budget.”

With a DP there’s no salary space needed so that point is moot. Also based on the above quote directly from MLS website it IS possible to buy out a player mid season.

So in summary
    1. Mid season buyout is possible
    2. Salary budget space is moot
    3. DP spot can be filled any time.

So where am I wrong?
    Last edited by Webdogg; 01-06-2022 at 09:37 PM.