Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2018 TFC II & TFC Academy Discussion

Surprise! TFC II kicks off their 2018 USL season tomorrow at 1pm at NYRB II, so it's time for a new thread.

TFC II Ticket Giveaway Thread: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...read&p=1862620

2018 brings some changes for TFC II as they enter their 4th season in USL. Most significant is TFC Academy Director Laurent Guyot now also assuming the head coaching position for TFC II, as Jason Bent has moved up to join the first team as an assistant. TFC II has also left Vaughan and the Ontario Soccer Centre, as this season - besides a few games in Rochester - their home games will be played at BMO Field and Lamport Stadium, perhaps allowing TFC management to keep a bit of a closer eye on the kids. The downtown locations should also help TFC II on the attendance front, as last year TFC II did decently compared to other MLS feeder clubs, but still on the low end of league-wide attendance.

USL has six new teams this season: Atlanta United 2, Fresno FC, Las Vegas Lights FC, Nashville SC, plus Indy Eleven and North Carolina FC, both moving over from NASL. TFC II and Ottawa Fury are the sole remaining Canadian USL clubs, with Vancouver Whitecaps 2 folding, and FC Montreal having folded prior to last season.

Last season saw TFC II finish last in the Eastern Conference, with 25 points, a similar PPG rate as in their previous seasons. Seeing success with a developmental side in a league with many fully professional teams is always tough, but it can be done. NYRB II finished top of the table and won the 2016 USL playoffs, Swope Park Rangers (Sporting KC) have lost in the USL playoff finals two years running, and Real Monarchs (Real Salt Lake) finished top of the table last year. It should be noted many other MLS feeder clubs have a lot more 22-25 year old players than TFC II, who have mostly trended towards 18-21 year olds, but nevertheless Guyot and the rest of TFC management certainly would like to pull the Young Reds out of the USL basement.

Now for a best guess look at the TFC II squad:

As usual I would expect some spot appearances from TFC senior team players (besides Akinola and Fraser who I expect to be loaned down fairly regularly), as well as call ups from League1 Ontario's TFC III (look out for Terique Mohammed, who may get a chance if TFC II needs LB help), but this should be the "core" group of USL players.

Players I'm personally going to be keeping an eye on:

- Liam Fraser (20, DM): I wouldn't even mention him here if Bradley weren't such a machine, because otherwise he'd be sticking with and getting decent minutes on the first team. Instead he'll probably only get to play with TFC proper when Bradley needs rest (never), is injured (almost never), or suspended (rarely). So expect Fraser to see some time with TFC II. By his own description, Fraser is a Bradley/Cheyrou hybrid of a defensive midfielder who likes to play simple and values his passing range. Look for him to be a leader on the pitch whenever he is with the squad.

- Ayo Akinola (18, ST): Another senior team player I expect to get a lot of USL minutes, because I just can't see how he'll get ahead of all the competition at the striker position on the senior roster. Akinola is one of the most exciting TFC prospects to come through the academy and probably the highest-ceiling striker. Dribbling with speed is his biggest weapon, and Akinola scored goals by the bucket load with the U17 US national team. He was signed to a Homegrown contract with TFC in a bit of a surprise move, as there was a fair amount of speculation that he would leave for Europe instead.

- Shaan Hundal (18, ST): No slouch himself, Hundal has led TFC II in scoring two years running, with 6 goals in 2016 and 7 goals in 2017. Ben Spencer and Jordan Hamilton could see some USL action, but with less competition at striker this season, Hundal should see his most minutes in a season yet. A strong season from Hundal would put him in line for TFC's next Homegrown signing.

- Noble Okello (17, DM): When Fraser isn't with the team, the defensive midfield spot is Okello's. Okello is simply massive at 6'4, and with some of the longest legs you'll ever see, he lives for tackles and interceptions in the middle of the pitch.

- Julian Dunn (17, CB): Dunn signed with TFC II from TFC III during last season and went on to play 1088 minutes as a 16 year old. It's been a little while since the academy has produced a legit CB prospect, so Dunn is a welcome addition.

- Rocco Romeo (17, CB): Also signed with TFC II last season from the academy. Romeo has been talked about as a promising CB in TFC's system for a while, and this season he and Dunn should have the opportunity to get a lot of minutes and potentially lock down starting roles.
    Last edited by notthesun; 03-28-2018 at 09:33 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be interested to see if Caleb as the first team third string GK or Angelo gets the start get the start in net ?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The player I am most interested to see is Malyk Hamilton. Want to see how he stacks up against the locally trained players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... Spencer's ability in front of net ....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus... sorry but Spencer is utter shit in front of the goal...
    Besides the penalty he wasted another huge chance to go 2-0.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 03-17-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... And now of course instead of 2-0 is 1-1.
    Very predictable this would happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC 2's defense is in shambles...
    2-1 Red Bulls.

Probably this will remain the same, or go to 3-1 til the end of the match.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spencer not helping himself at all. Sounds like he missed a few sitters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to miss the 2nd half, but I caught all of the first. Fraser was clearly the best player on the pitch from what I saw. Barely put a foot wrong and picked up an assist on Srbely's well-taken goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Convinced this is now a feature not a bug.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    I defer to Vanney and Bez's judgement because they know 100000000x more than me about soccer. But I just don't get why Spencer is being shoe horned in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    I defer to Vanney and Bez's judgement because they know 100000000x more than me about soccer. But I just don't get why Spencer is being shoe horned in.
    Seems the type who performs well in training and does a lot of typical no. 9 stuff. But he's just not perform in game situations in front of goal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve always been of the opinion strikers are in the results business while someone like say a defender is in the consistency business. A defender who trains consistency is likely to show carry-over into games because what defines a great defender is usually not their greatest moment but rather the ability to avoid the worst mistakes. A striker conversely is about 1-2 exceptional moments over the course of the game. As such, consistency in training is less of a commodity.

I think we’re continuing to kid ourselves to think Spencer is going anywhere in his career as a striker.

Any time given to him over Hundal or Akinola is wasteful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see the next generation of De Rosario in Osaze rising up the ranks in the academy.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the academy rosters, noticed a Dylan and Mason Vanney on the U-12. Turns out those are Greg's 10 year old twin sons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Nice to see the next generation of De Rosario in Osaze rising up the ranks in the academy.
    His younger son is on the U14 team as the GK. He's mad small, don't know how this will work out for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luca Petrasso has signed a TFC III/TFC II contract out of the academy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC II has signed CB Lars Eckenrode: https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/0...lars-eckenrode

He was a draft pick from last year and spent almost the whole year recovering from a broken leg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see they re-signed him. He reminds me of Hagglund. From what I've seen, he's the good ol hardworking American fullback - no glitz, no glam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the TFC u-17s just got waxed by Eintracht Frankfurt 3-0 At the GA Cup. Anybody have a take on what happened at the game?

I guess our academy still has a long way to go.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Looks like the TFC u-17s just got waxed by Eintracht Frankfurt 3-0 At the GA Cup. Anybody have a take on what happened at the game?

Its one game, no way to give any judgement on a game 99.9% on this board likely did not see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The U-17s qualified top of their group, FWIW: https://www.mlssoccer.com/generation...018/qualifying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    The U-17s qualified top of their group, FWIW: https://www.mlssoccer.com/generation...018/qualifying
    That's exactly why I wanted to impress upon us - They're one of the best academy teams in North America and still can't hold a candle to a European squad. As I said, they've got a long way to go to be competitive with the big boys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tfc 3 beat a japanese team 3-2 and the u 16s win 2- nil.i guess all is right with the tfc academy today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's exactly why I wanted to impress upon us - They're one of the best academy teams in North America and still can't hold a candle to a European squad. As I said, they've got a long way to go to be competitive with the big boys.
    the u 18s beat juve last year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Round up from yesterday's academy action: https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2018/0...ted-day-dallas

TFC III play Manchester United today at 3pm and the U17s play River Plate at 7:15pm. The U17 match will apparently be streamed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC III vs. ManU is being streamed as well, about to kick off.

Not sure if it's on other platforms but the Facebook stream is here, no need to login: https://www.facebook.com/DallasCup/v...type=3&theater

TFC III starters: https://twitter.com/tfcacademy/statu...51592666685440
    Last edited by notthesun; 03-26-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will be good to support the boys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U17 stream