Page 103 of 191 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,090 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post

Dwyer was on $300k-$350k next year. So $350k-$400k in salary relief.

Could this be the worst move of the entire Curtis era? Just astonishingly bad.
    Wholly shit, I take back my previous comment. Manning should have definitely known about this.

Curtis should be outright investigated for signing a deal so stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was a formerly good player, we needed some help at striker last year with Jozy going down. Maybe worth a punt. We managed to shoe-horn him in last year on cheap money but had to pay more this year in exchange. Maybe it wasn't that bad when you think about what was happening last year. Bad optics now though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the trend of this year's offseason mainly being used to undo the work of ali curtis continues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm fucking flabbergasted Dwyer was due to earn 350k. 350k????? What on earth, the guy had zero leverage and zero suitors, I cannot believe Curtis gave him that deal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    And people wonder why Curtis/Armas was the worst decision our club ever made trade a 3rd pick overall and contract of Dom Dwyer for 50k to clean up the mess; so frustrated with this decision
    Mr. No communication skills Curtis was always a bad fit. Now I see why he didn't communicate because he was hiding his disastrous decision making as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

350k contract for Dwyer?! The striker who hasn't recorded a shot on target since 2019?! The guy who was a free agent for months with no interest?! Curtis was bidding against himself. Curtis was truly a joke of a GM.

The one reason I was even a little bit okay with Dwyer was because he was a shit-disturber on a minimum contract. If he was used in a minimal role to piss people off, I'd be okay with him as an end-of-the-bench contract as our bad contract. At least when we signed Gallardo, he had the air of potential. Everyone (except Curtis) knew what Dwyer was before we signed him.

The one positive of a shitty season was a high draft pick. Now we don't even have that.
    Last edited by rydermike; 01-10-2022 at 02:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    erickson gallardo would like a word
    So does Armas

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Nobody bats 1,000 gut good god. Jozy re-signing at his salary and contract length, Omar on his wage and Dwyer apparently at $350-400k and probably others I'm forgetting are inexcusable with the salary structure of MLS. They aren't just deals that went poorly in retrospect, they were absolutely awful decisions made with the information they had available to them at the time
    Don't forget Terrence Boyd too. Erickson Gallardo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it was a clever way to get him off our books if nothing else. Wonder how he was informed of the buyout? Did they walk him into the FC Dallas President's office:

-Dominic, I hate to tell you this but we're going to exercise our option to buy you out.

-Buy me out? But I've only been here for five minutes.

-Yes, that's what makes this so hard...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normally our draft picks don’t amount to much but I would have been good to see what BB could have done with the pick

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

My take on the whole Curtis situation is that Manning was tied up with the Argos and he left TFC in what he mistakenly thought was good hands. He totally owns picking someone like Curtis to replace Bez (yeah, Vanney was supposedly in on the choice too, but as President Manning owns this). He doesn't however own every stupid decision that Curtis made, or the many many decisions that Curtis should have done but procrastinated doing. I'm pretty pleased with what he's done since allowing Curtis to leave "for other opportunities" in minor league soccer.
    I agree with this.

I wonder if Curtis' 300 page book had a solution for disasters.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#firecurtis (felt good saying)

Look on the bright side, you dont do that unless you are signing someone else, multiples TAMs, a striker, goalie and a defender and then you round out the roster. If you had nothing on your radar available, you eat the 300k. I am still not sure who the buyout is Jozy or Soteldo but at least we have the flexibility. Don’t like that we miss on a youth player with potential but it looks like they want to win now and for the next 3 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to hear Curtis's rationale for the contract in light of this trade. He's lucky he got fi-I mean-"mutually parted ways"-d

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/tor...191915590.html
    A small tidbit from Neil Davidson at the end of this article, that says TFC is expected to part ways with Jozy Altidore. Not much new, but this is one of the first times a traditional print media reporter has mentioned this I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I would love to hear Curtis's rationale for the contract in light of this trade. He's lucky he got fi-I mean-"mutually parted ways"-d
    no you wouldnt,you would be in a coma after 5 min

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the speculation on if Jozy is staying at or going is settled now. He will be bought out.

The Dwyer contract is horrendous. You do need to look at when it was signed though rather than judge it based on everything we know now. I believe he was signed before the situation with Jozy being shunned from the team. So at that time Curtis is probably not thinking of needing to use his single buyout per year and he’s hoping soteldo will fix all of our defensive woes.

At the end of the day we’re clearing major cap space so that it can be used much more efficiently (at least that’s the hope). Getting a pick could definitely work out but I can understand and appreciate why this move makes sense. We just should never have been in this in the first place. I think the signing of Bradley here will just make sure this kind of stuff doesn’t happen again. I don’t see BB giving Dwyer guaranteed compensation of $350k. Hopefully now Manning can actually rely on the person who is doing that job as he shouldn’t have to review every single contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    You do need to look at when it was signed though rather than judge it based on everything we know now. I believe he was signed before the situation with Jozy being shunned from the team. So at that time Curtis is probably not thinking of needing to use his single buyout per year and he’s hoping soteldo will fix all of our defensive woes.
    The Dwyer signing at the time was still bad because there was no need for a depth striker.
    - Jozy was not yet banished
    - Ayo Akinola was healthy
    - Jordan Perruzza was not yet loaned to San Antonio
    - Patrick Mullins was healthy
    - Achara was a month and a half away from returning

We had 4 strikers, healthy and playable, available, in a system where we played one striker. He was on trial for months. If he was truly impressing on trial, he would've been signed so much earlier. Dwyer was signed when they cut Griffen Dorsey, who could've been cut at any time. If Dwyer was so impressive, they would've done that so much earlier.
    Last edited by rydermike; 01-10-2022 at 03:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Davidson's comment does make you think the Jozy deal is done; but they cannot do that without signing Ayo at a minimum as the only strikers we have on the team right now are Altidore and Peruzza. To me it means that they haven't quite sorted a goal scorer to replace Jozy's production (2017 level) so not absolute that he will be bought out - but very likely indeed. At this moment Ayo has lots of bargaining power.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-10-2022 at 03:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Dwyer signing at the time was still bad because there was no need for a depth striker.

We had 4 strikers, healthy and playable, available, in a system where we played one striker. He was on trial for months. If he was truly impressing on trial, he would've been signed so much earlier. Dwyer was signed when they cut Griffen Dorsey, who could've been cut at any time. If Dwyer was so impressive, they would've done that so much earlier.
    There was no merit to the signing at all. Curtis gambled that he was a good striker who had lost form when in fact his main advantage, his speed, was long gone and he'd been in decline for several seasons. It looks like he backended the contract because he thought Dwyer would come good, score goals and look like a bargain.

In other words, utterly fucking clueless.

Astonishing. Astonishing not only that someone with such bad judgement could be in that job but also that he was left in it for so long.

Really, Gallardo should've been his end.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree! What a disaster.

We can separate two things: this deal with Dallas now was an acceptable way for TFC to handle a disastrous situation. As somebody else mentioned, probably the first time that there was effectively a trade for another teams once-a-year buyout opportunity. I wonder if MLS will try to limit that in the future, like you can't sign and buyout a player during the same transfer window.

But it also sheds light on how bad the past decisions were, that you need to buyout two contracts at once, in addition to TAM/GAM shenanigans and other business needed to dump Soteldo etc. Yes there have been some pretty good draft picks in the 2-5 positions over the last few years, and we lose that opportunity after a dreadful season where you thought "well at least we'll get a decent draft pick."

I'll maintain that TFC has had off & on problems with identifying efficient talent for many years; let's see if that changes under Bob Bradley. You can solve some things by throwing lots of cash at it, but not everything, and eventually the bill comes due in any case. This is probably more a topic for the Manning thread, and some of it extends beyond him.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 01-10-2022 at 04:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    There was no merit to the signing at all. Curtis gambled that he was a good striker who had lost form when in fact his main advantage, his speed, was long gone and he'd been in decline for several seasons. It looks like he backended the contract because he thought Dwyer would come good, score goals and look like a bargain.

In other words, utterly fucking clueless.

Astonishing. Astonishing not only that someone with such bad judgement could be in that job but also that he was left in it for so long.

Really, Gallardo should've been his end.
    Manning not looking good at all. Remember Vanney's body language when Curtis was announced? He was putting up with it, not embracing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I agree! What a disaster.

We can separate two things: this deal with Dallas now was an acceptable way for TFC to handle a disastrous situation. As somebody else mentioned, probably the first time that there was effectively a trade for another teams once-a-year buyout opportunity. I wonder if MLS will try to limit that in the future, like you can't sign and buyout a player during the same transfer window.

But it also sheds light on how bad the past decisions were, that you need to buyout two contracts at once, in addition to TAM/GAM shenanigans and other business needed to dump Soteldo etc. Yes there have been some pretty good draft picks in the 2-5 positions over the last few years.

I'll maintain that TFC has had off & on problems with identifying efficient talent for many years; let's see if that changes under Bob Bradley. You can solve some things by throwing lots of cash at it, but not everything, and eventually the bill comes due in any case. This is probably more a topic for the Manning thread, and some of it extends beyond him.
    Its three! Soteldo, Dwyer and Jozy - (although I will maintain that Jozy's deal at the time was the right thing to do - the necessity to do it, however, was the result of extremely poor planning around Seba and VV).

The most incredible thing is that we are having to unwind Soteldo - who is a decent player, just never a fit for us.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Its three! Soteldo, Dwyer and Jozy - (although I will maintain that Jozy's deal at the time was the right thing to do - the necessity to do it, however, was the result of extremely poor planning around Seba and VV).

The most incredible thing is that we are having to unwind Soteldo - who is a decent player, just never a fit for us.
    That's why I said "in addition to TAM/GAM shenanigans and other business needed to dump Soteldo etc."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are we assuming anything of the sort for Soteldo, isn't the current rumour a transfer fee for 50% of his rights? So we get $$ now, 50% of any sale later, and completely offload his contract? We're selling him, basically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Why are we assuming anything of the sort for Soteldo, isn't the current rumour a transfer fee for 50% of his rights? So we get $$ now, 50% of any sale later, and completely offload his contract? We're selling him, basically.
    The version I saw is that we are loaning him so that we can continue to pay 60-70% of his salary as well. They're buying 50% of his rights but he's still technically our player. I suspect the only way they get him off the books is to pay most of his salary as well.

So we're mitigating the upfront spend somewhat but giving up half of any future sale to do so and clearing him off the roster.

I thought it was the rule that a player still under contract as a DP couldn't have his slot allocated to someone else but perhaps that's not the case.

Or maybe SA media just has it wrong and we're outright selling him, plus paying his bonus for next year, which would mitigate some of his salary loss.

Either way, a terrible buy and a clusterfuck to get rid of him. Spent $6M in this league and we better be getting a Carlos Vela or an Alejandro Pozuelo, a proven top-level player. Adam Buksa, who is rumored going to Pisa for $9.5M, was already performing well in Poland when New England bought him for $4M. Solteldo cost us 50% more than that guy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    The version I saw is that we are loaning him so that we can continue to pay 60-70% of his salary as well. They're buying 50% of his rights but he's still technically our player. I suspect the only way they get him off the books is to pay most of his salary as well.

So we're mitigating the upfront spend somewhat but giving up half of any future sale to do so and clearing him off the roster.

I thought it was the rule that a player still under contract as a DP couldn't have his slot allocated to someone else but perhaps that's not the case.

Or maybe SA media just has it wrong and we're outright selling him, plus paying his bonus for next year, which would mitigate some of his salary loss.

Either way, a terrible buy and a clusterfuck to get rid of him. Spent $6M in this league and we better be getting a Carlos Vela or an Alejandro Pozuelo, a proven top-level player. Adam Buksa, who is rumored going to Pisa for $9.5M, was already performing well in Poland when New England bought him for $4M. Solteldo cost us 50% more than that guy.
    Maybe even a bit worse deal than that, if Wikipedia is to be believed? I don't understand half of the shenanigans in football transactions, but: "On 24 April 2021, Soteldo's club Santos FC confirmed that Soteldo had been sold to MLS side Toronto FC for a fee of $6.5 million. The fee covers 75% of his playing rights and enables Santos FC to avoid a transfer ban imposed by FIFA due to them failing to pay Huachipato back in 2019."
    - So actually $6.5 million up front to Santos FC.
    - Only covered 75% of his playing rights?
    - Santos was in a legal & financial bind; normally when you think somebody would be able to make a "great deal" with them...
    Last edited by Auzzy; 01-10-2022 at 04:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    That's why I said "in addition to TAM/GAM shenanigans and other business needed to dump Soteldo etc."
    Sorry! read too quickly. Shenanigans indeed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was lunacy to have even signed Dwyer but would never have imagined a second year guaranteed at the salary.
    Having Dallas do the buyout and receiving some GAM in return might be the best that could be done under the circumstances. Encouraging that intelligent thought is happening these days from the GM position at the club for the first time since Curtis was hired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if we bought 75% of soteldo’s rights and sold 50% does that leave us with 25% of his rights?

(As a West Ham fan, this crap gives me ptsd)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been busy all day so I just wanted to come say that Ali Curtis is absolute dogshit. 300k for Dom Dwyer? Ridiculous. He tried his hardest to ruin this franchise.