Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I'm far from a "All Canadian Homegrowns Forever!" guy but if we can successfully develop young players like NYRB then I am all for it. I hope we turn into what NYRB were. Winning shields and being top drawer consistently sounds good to me.
    We should be able to do both, we'd be a powerhouse if we can actually incorporate our local talent while still spending big on DPs/TAM players. I've become a big fan of our national team over the last few years and think we're missing out on all these really good local players.

We're lucky that the club is spending big on DPs, if you compare us to NYRB or FC Dallas (probably the best team in terms of homegrowns), we've had way better DPs recently. Right now Pozuelo, a hopefully healthy Altidore, and whoever we sign will likely be the best DP combo outside of the LAs or Atlanta.

Then you have around 6 spots filled by TAM players, our current ones are really solid (especially considering Bradley is now one). Throw in maybe a few veterans like Deleon and Westberg and already you have a solid core.

Beyond the players I've listed I honestly think the rest of the roster should be our homegrowns unless we're severely lacking in certain spots like GK or CB. I know there are a lot of TFC fans who hate on our Canadians for some reason but they're a lot better than people give them credit for and I think they don't get enough chances. People bring up that they have to earn their spot but some do yet they still don't get playing time, meanwhile Vanney gives a lot of Americans continued chances even if they play like ****. We've had to pay money to watch Ben Spencer (HOW DID HE CONVINCE MANAGEMENT THAT HE'S A PROFESSIONAL SOCCER PLAYER?!?!?!?!?!), Terrance Boyd, Patrick Mullins, nephew, etc.

People hate on Jordan Hamilton but he actually scored a few important goals and at times looked decent, I'm not going to use him as a main example of said local talent but the 18 appearances made between Boyd/Spencer could have gone towards development and playing time for him instead. Then they get rid of him for Mullins, a guy so useless that we were better up top in the playoffs without playing a striker. I'm sure Perruzza or even Akinola are already better than him. Even Delgado had a bunch of awful games in I think 2018 but will never lose his spot, I know he did look decent last year but if he was Canadian I'm sure Vanney would bench his ass. Look at Fraser as a guy who hasn't put a foot wrong but doesn't get enough play time. He looked great in the disaster that was 2018, he looked great whenever he played last year and he has been great for our NT. Laryea basically helped us get to the finals last year yet doesn't get a start all playoffs, Morrow has lost a bit of a step and Auro can play LB but we didn't see that happen.

I also think we miss out on too many players, I know some might have wanted to take a different path than TFC such as NCAA but here are some youngish guys from Southern Ontario: Godinho, Cornelius, Manjrekar James, Kamal Miller (that's a kinda solid backline right there), Kaye, Borges, Buchanan, Liam Millar, Larin, St Clair, plus a few CPL guys that looked good. I know I'm turning this into a rant but I truly think some of these kids have high ceilings and it's worth playing them even if they make some mistakes. Let's see what Okello, Perruzza, Shaffelburg, and Fraser are actually capable of. If Nelson shows that he can contribute, give him some minutes. Don't acquire some below average player within the league because you're scared to play the kids.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon T View Post
    People hate on Jordan Hamilton but he actually scored a few important goals and at times looked decent, I'm not going to use him as a main example of said local talent but the 18 appearances made between Boyd/Spencer could have gone towards development and playing time for him instead. Then they get rid of him for Mullins, a guy so useless that we were better up top in the playoffs without playing a striker
    Mullins is much better than Hamilton.

And the reason Hamilton had guys like Spencer get minutes over him is because they work hard in training as opposed to loafing. That's how it works. Rewarding a loafer with starters minutes undermines the team fabric.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Mullins is much better than Hamilton.

And the reason Hamilton had guys like Spencer get minutes over him is because they work hard in training as opposed to loafing. That's how it works. Rewarding a loafer with starters minutes undermines the team fabric.
    Thats always been said about Hamilton but we don't know it. if his attitude was that bad why did Bez pick him up? I think the issue is different - he drifts in and out of games mentally. its about concentration .
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-27-2020 at 02:36 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Thats always been said about Hamilton but we don't know it. if his attitude was that bad why did Bez pick him up? I think the issue is different - he drifts in and out of games mentally. its about concentration .
    Actually, we do know it. Hamilton himself talked about his attitude at the start of last season and said he learned that he would have to pick up his game. I think they gave him a chance and judged that it wasn't enough. It wasn't just concentration.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon T View Post
    Let's see what Okello, Perruzza, Shaffelburg, and Fraser are actually capable of. If Nelson shows that he can contribute, give him some minutes. Don't acquire some below average player within the league because you're scared to play the kids.
    It's the Shaffelburg situation that blows me away. Vanney has been calling out for wingers for years, Shaff gets a couple of games, which we're told impressed the FO so much that they shifted their attention from the left to the right and signed Gallardo, then suddenly, Shaffelburg is stuck to the bench at best and doesn't get a sniff. I just don't understand what went on there. It's like Vanney just decided one day that no, I don't like you anymore. Unless he was one game away from a contract clause that would give him a pay rise!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East Coast Red View Post
    It's the Shaffelburg situation that blows me away. Vanney has been calling out for wingers for years, Shaff gets a couple of games, which we're told impressed the FO so much that they shifted their attention from the left to the right and signed Gallardo, then suddenly, Shaffelburg is stuck to the bench at best and doesn't get a sniff. I just don't understand what went on there. It's like Vanney just decided one day that no, I don't like you anymore. Unless he was one game away from a contract clause that would give him a pay rise!!
    Many games Shaffelburg didn't even make the bench anymore. Games where TFC could have used some speed late in the game. Instead Pozuelo was often stuck on the left wing.

I'm happy they made the finals again. Testament to many things being done right, plus a bit of luck. But some of the things happening during the past two seasons were bizarre. Many folks on here are saying now: no biggie if they don't hire a DP now; better market to get players in the summer anyway. Then why didn't it work out in 2019? Pozuelo replaced Vazquez and did a good job at that. But all year we were told we're getting TAM wingers to play the way Vanney wants it; and to provide scoring threat and alternatives to Altidore after Giovinco left. Gallardo came but didn't play much. Is that Curtis' fault, if the reason was Gallardo isn't that good, or wasn't quite fit & ready? And/or was it Vanney's fault, for not being pragmatic enough to work with the players he got? I don't know; likely both. Benezet came, was quite good. But he wasn't a winger, and didn't play much -- due to his contract status as we found out now. And at times Altidore was played too much when it looked like he needed a break, but we didn't have enough options. A long-term injury followed.

I don't know how people are reasoning that other MLS teams can sign DPs now, despite it being only the winter transfer period, and despite an MLS labour deal not being in place -- but TFC can't. And I don't know where people's confidence comes from that if not now, they'll sign an amazing DP in the summer instead, that both Curtis and Vanney actually agree upon.

Maybe they'll still sign someone in the next few days and things will turn out great; fingers crossed. But you have to realize, the concerns of some people are not only a reaction to the situation at this moment; but also a reaction to what has happened within TFC over the past two years.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 01-27-2020 at 09:57 AM.