Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Hat tip to OgTheDim, who posted this elsewhere. A great read.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...he-future.html

TSN getting 260K for the playoff game cannot be characterized as anything other than massively disappointing.
    2.6million unique viewers over 2 networks for a first round Thursday night playoff game... It could be worse.
    Thats being said, I thought this game would be marketed much much heavier than it was.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    2.6million unique viewers over 2 networks for a first round Thursday night playoff game... It could be worse.
    Thats being said, I thought this game would be marketed much much heavier than it was.
    The "unique viewer" game causes guffaws in the industry - it is never defined (it is clicks, most likely, but who knows? There clearly was an online audience, but there is an online audience for everything, it's not something any TV sports advertiser pays for yet, whatever people may think.

If you are watching the game online and you reload six times watching the game because it's buffering, that is six clicks. Watch the highlights 3 or 4 different times? That is 3 or 4 clicks.

btw the lower you go on the ratings list, the more the online presence increases. It's true for everything, NASCAR, curling, soccer, you name it.... but like I said, they get paid ad click rates for that, which is a tiny fraction of TV viewer rates
    Last edited by ensco; 12-06-2015 at 10:00 AM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "unique viewer" game causes guffaws in the industry - it is never defined (it is clicks, most likely, but who knows? There clearly was an online audience, but there is an online audience for everything, it's not something any TV sports advertiser pays for yet, whatever people may think.

If you are watching the game online and you reload six times watching the game because it's buffering, that is six clicks. Watch the highlights 3 or 4 different times? That is 3 or 4 clicks.

btw the lower you go on the ratings list, the more the online presence increases. It's true for everything, NASCAR, curling, soccer, you name it.... but like I said, they get paid ad click rates for that, which is a tiny fraction of TV viewer rates
    The unique viewer number is still only television, not online streaming. Average audience is whatever amount of time is deemed enough to say that person was watching the game, while being part of that 2.6 million unique viewers can be as little as channel surfing and watching the game for a couple minutes before moving on to something else. So as you alluded advertisers aren't going to care about that number, in most cases it's just something for networks to include in press releases.

But unique viewers for online streaming is tracked by IP addresses, not clicks. You can reload a stream as much as you want, the viewer count won't increase because you are connecting from the same address.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    The unique viewer number is still only television, not online streaming. Average audience is whatever amount of time is deemed enough to say that person was watching the game, while being part of that 2.6 million unique viewers can be as little as channel surfing and watching the game for a couple minutes before moving on to something else. So as you alluded advertisers aren't going to care about that number, in most cases it's just something for networks to include in press releases.

But unique viewers for online streaming is tracked by IP addresses, not clicks. You can reload a stream as much as you want, the viewer count won't increase because you are connecting from the same address.
    That is what they will say. But something doesn't add up. My experience on this is with execs from one of Bell/Rogers openly smirking at unique viewer sales pitches (I can't be more specific)

It defies common sense or credulity to think that 2.6M actually saw any part of that game on TV.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-06-2015 at 05:22 PM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is what they will say. But something doesn't add up. My experience on this is with execs from one of Bell/Rogers openly smirking at unique viewer sales pitches (I can't be more specific)

It defies common sense or credulity to think that 2.6M actually saw any part of that game on TV.
    I am willing to believe that 2.6M number on TV way before I believe it includes anything from online viewership. The only online source for that game that Bell would report on is TSN/RDS Go, which are both complementary to a cable/satellite subscription and thus anyone with access to those platforms would have access to TSN or RDS on TV.

The game was on the main TSN/RDS network. You think it's impossible that 2.6 million people turned their sets to see what was on TSN at the time of the game (or more specifically, a number proportional to 2.6M out of the people who provide data to Numeris)?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think I speak for the masses when I ask… it was on TV? Who played?