Page 159 of 191 FirstFirst ... 59109149155156157158159160161162163169 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,770 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the hopeful expectation of SG, JJ starting the season with TFC and KL likely gone...

in a 4-2-1-3...

My season starting, half-time subs, XI...

---Auro----Salcedo----Mavinga----O'Neill---
    -------Bradley/Priso---------Osorio---------
    -----------------Pozuelo-------------------
    --Jimenez--Giovinco/Perruzza--Shaffelburg--

I think I am OK with this; for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Suspect Insigne will be the dead ball taker, the instant he arrives.

Inzaghi. I was a big fan of those Milan teams.
    Suspect... me too.

Inzaghi/s... we enjoyed the brothers for our own reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    With the hopeful expectation of SG, JJ starting the season with TFC and KL likely gone...

in a 4-2-1-3...

I imagine it will be something similar to this. Maybe Shaff playing a little further back in more of a LWB type roll and Auro playing a little in front of the back 3. I imagine the team is looking to see if they can convert Shaff into a LWB before Insigne arrives.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Ashtone Morgan signs with Forge FC of the Canadian Premier League. Gets to play in the CONCACAF Champions League

I know a few of us were interested in getting him as a depth fullback
    Yeah I thought we might be looking at bringing him back, Guess now we get to face off against him whenever we play that 2020 Can Champ finals

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

in a 4-2-1-3...

This seems to make the most sense and will probably be what they run with.

The only hiccup I have is having Priso as a secondary option in that spot.
    MB4 has deficiencies and Priso seemed to be able to cover for that last year. And using Osorio as that crutch seems like a waste of his talents IMO

But I guess if it's more of a double pivot that would allow Oso to move up and attack more often? but then we'd be looking more at a 4-2-3-1

I honestly don't know lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LB is a huge problem area if Lawrence is indeed leaving. I am sure I have said it 100 times, but there is a huge opportunity to try Shaff there. He is too good to just be Insigne's backup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    LB is a huge problem area if Lawrence is indeed leaving. I am sure I have said it 100 times, but there is a huge opportunity to try Shaff there. He is too good to just be Insigne's backup.
    We all keep discussing Shaff as a wingback, but I do wonder if that, like Tyler Pasher, we're ignoring the fact that the guy is a good finisher. He's fast, he's tricky, he usually buries a chance if he gets it.

On the other hand, I have no sense at all that he's an excellent defender.

So maybe what he should be is a winger or striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LB is a huge problem area if Lawrence is indeed leaving.
    I think you're right about this. Lawrence leaving would leave us worryingly vulnerable. Mr. Inbetween, while I think you've nailed the starting XI, I do wonder about a couple of the positions, starting with left back. I had a quick look at Shane O'Neill's participation in Sounders games and then looked at his profile on footballcritic.com. Shane is a right-footed player who has never played left fullback nor left wingback. In his last 50 games he has played L-CB only 7 times (with Brad Smith as always the left wingback) and has otherwise played CB (34 times) or R-CB (9 times). So while I think you've picked our top 4 defenders, I would guess that if we do ship out Lawrence and don't replace him in-kind, you would see Mavinga and O'Neill switching spots in your setup. Mavinga played predominantly left back at both Rennes and also at Rubin Kazan. It was only when he came to TFC that Mavinga played regularly at CB. Admittedly he's on record as saying he prefers CB. But given our resources sans-Lawrence, I think he'd have to fill in out there and let O'Neill come inside. All in all, a pretty decent backline, maybe as good as any in the league. But, it does make me think there must be work afoot to find a left back, because one injury and we're pretty exposed.

I am sure I have said it 100 times, but there is a huge opportunity to try Shaff there. He is too good to just be Insigne's backup.
    I agree; the first half of the upcoming season is a big opportunity for Shaff to expand his positional options and cement his place in the starting XI. However, I wonder if it will be at left back. Is there a chance we see Shaff playing wide-right up front? Listening to Bob Bradley speak, he has been pretty clear that he favours what he calls "outside-in" attackers. He's even described scenarios where he needs the wide players to know when to cut inside. Of course, this is exactly the kind of player Insigne is - a right-footed player on the left-wing who cuts inside more often than not. A Bradley prototype. Look at how Bradley deployed Carlos Vela at LAFC over his last 50 games (also from footballcritic.com). Vela, a very left-foot dominant player was deployed on the left only 2 times in his last 50 games; he played wide-right 32 times, and up top 16 times. If Shaff continues to be deployed on the left, he will invariably become an understudy to Insigne, and I can't believe that is the plan they have mapped out for Shaff. I suspect we'll see him in the right and we'll see him being heavily coached to cut inside and exploit that rather impressive left foot of his. It just feels to me that's the Bob Bradley modus operandi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I imagine it will be something similar to this. Maybe Shaff playing a little further back in more of a LWB type roll and Auro playing a little in front of the back 3. I imagine the team is looking to see if they can convert Shaff into a LWB before Insigne arrives.

That seems likely to me. He has real gifts and needs to develop others. But they should be developing them. Imagine him doing overlapping runs with Insinge. Ah yi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    We all keep discussing Shaff as a wingback, but I do wonder if that, like Tyler Pasher, we're ignoring the fact that the guy is a good finisher. He's fast, he's tricky, he usually buries a chance if he gets it.

On the other hand, I have no sense at all that he's an excellent defender.

So maybe what he should be is a winger or striker.
    I dont know, but they need to have a role for him that ensures that he continues to develop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    I think you're right about this. Lawrence leaving would leave us worryingly vulnerable. Mr. Inbetween, while I think you've nailed the starting XI, I do wonder about a couple of the positions, starting with left back. I had a quick look at Shane O'Neill's participation in Sounders games and then looked at his profile on footballcritic.com. Shane is a right-footed player who has never played left fullback nor left wingback. In his last 50 games he has played L-CB only 7 times (with Brad Smith as always the left wingback) and has otherwise played CB (34 times) or R-CB (9 times). So while I think you've picked our top 4 defenders, I would guess that if we do ship out Lawrence and don't replace him in-kind, you would see Mavinga and O'Neill switching spots in your setup. Mavinga played predominantly left back at both Rennes and also at Rubin Kazan. It was only when he came to TFC that Mavinga played regularly at CB. Admittedly he's on record as saying he prefers CB. But given our resources sans-Lawrence, I think he'd have to fill in out there and let O'Neill come inside. All in all, a pretty decent backline, maybe as good as any in the league. But, it does make me think there must be work afoot to find a left back, because one injury and we're pretty exposed.

I agree; the first half of the upcoming season is a big opportunity for Shaff to expand his positional options and cement his place in the starting XI. However, I wonder if it will be at left back. Is there a chance we see Shaff playing wide-right up front? Listening to Bob Bradley speak, he has been pretty clear that he favours what he calls "outside-in" attackers. He's even described scenarios where he needs the wide players to know when to cut inside. Of course, this is exactly the kind of player Insigne is - a right-footed player on the left-wing who cuts inside more often than not. A Bradley prototype. Look at how Bradley deployed Carlos Vela at LAFC over his last 50 games (also from footballcritic.com). Vela, a very left-foot dominant player was deployed on the left only 2 times in his last 50 games; he played wide-right 32 times, and up top 16 times. If Shaff continues to be deployed on the left, he will invariably become an understudy to Insigne, and I can't believe that is the plan they have mapped out for Shaff. I suspect we'll see him in the right and we'll see him being heavily coached to cut inside and exploit that rather impressive left foot of his. It just feels to me that's the Bob Bradley modus operandi.
    really interesting second point. sort of combines with Jloomes above

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All good points above on Shaff. One of the stories of the first half of the season is how we decide to use him as we plan for Insigne's arrival. Second striker, RW, L(W)B are all options. On the second striker note, I thought he looked good playing up top with Achara at points last season when Soteldo dropped back as more of a facilitator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No worries jabbronies, formations and lineups to the strengths of the opponent are endless; but fun for some. I do enjoy hypothesizing.

Sorry. I am a visualist. So... in general...

For noxx98, more of a 3-5-2...

------O'Neill-----Salcedo-----Mavinga------

--------Bradley/Priso--------Osorio---------
    -Auro----------Pozuelo---------Shaffelburg-

-----Giovinco/Perruzza--------Jimenez------

For jabbronies, maybe more of a 3-4-2-1...

-Auro-----Bradley----Priso-----Shaffelburg-
    -----Pozuelo-------------Osorio-----------
    -----------------Jimenez------------------

Either not bad for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No worries jabbronies, formations and lineups to the strengths of the opponent are endless; but fun for some. I do enjoy hypothesizing.

Sorry. I am a visualist. So... in general...
    Both look like good options to me. Bob did mention playing a back 3 a few times in his press conference yesterday. Hopefully we can get some lineups for a few of these preseason games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry everyone. I am slooow at this Forum/Thread replying.

Gogon, great points. I don't disagree.
    My back line situation does sort of give me pause, especially when/if Criscito arrives... someone or some may not eventually play in their best/typical spots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Shaff can play as a RW. I just want to see him get some minutes and continue to develop. What we do know right now is that his minutes at LW here are likely to be basically nil come July.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both look like good options to me. Bob did mention playing a back 3 a few times in his press conference yesterday. Hopefully we can get some lineups for a few of these preseason games.
    If we do play with wingbacks, JMR should be getting a good chunk of minutes at that RWB spot. Time to show us what the hype is all about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

especially when/if Criscito arrives...
    Indeed! Criscito would certainly be a nice solution wouldn't he?

Imagine a flexible back 3/5 of

Criscito Auro
    Mavinga Salcedo O'Neill

Damn. Good times at BMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, I see now why you guys always use the hyphens.

Lemme try again

Criscito----------------------------Auro
    --------Mavinga Salcedo O'Neill------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    sort of combines with Jloomes above
    I'm happy to be aligned with jloome. He always shows great tactical nous and has good insights on individual player strengths and weaknesses. Love your posts Jeremy!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For jabbronies, maybe more of a 3-4-2-1...

-Auro-----Bradley----Priso-----Shaffelburg-
    -----Pozuelo-------------Osorio-----------
    -----------------Jimenez------------------
    Based on what we have right now, this feels good.

When you add Gio + Insigne + JMR to our current mix, I wonder if we end up with 2 different attacking looks to our lineup - each with a complimentary pivot towards some sort of complimenting defensive shape. (His press conferences seem to be hinting that he's working on the first pair and it seems to be going well)

I think great teams run with multiple formations, Vanny would move fluidly between a 3-5-2 and a 5-3-2 in game.
    But that was kind of where he stopped. When Seba left he kind of abandoned the 3-5-2, but was still only running with 1 setup

His fallback was always a clunky 4-4-2 that worked, but wasn't as impressive as his main game plan.

That is what Vanney was missing IMO - A strong second formation. I hope BB has one up his sleeve. He'll need to in order to balance out everything he has and make runs in multiple competitions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So where does akinola fit in the new system? I don't see him listed. I'm assuming he's a Jozy replacement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    So where does akinola fit in the new system? I don't see him listed. I'm assuming he's a Jozy replacement.
    He’s still out for the first couple of months. He’d fill in for whatever striker we have listed up top.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salcedo posted an Instagram story of him and Poz sitting next to each other on the bus smiling. Looks like they’re already better friends than Poz was with Soteldo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salcedo posted an Instagram story of him and Poz sitting next to each other on the bus smiling. Looks like they’re already better friends than Poz was with Soteldo
    You legit gotta be good friends with someone to actually sit next to them on a bus. If I were Salcedo or Pozuelo I'd be taking that section for myself and telling the rooks to sit next to each other

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You legit gotta be good friends with someone to actually sit next to them on a bus. If I were Salcedo or Pozuelo I'd be taking that section for myself and telling the rooks to sit next to each other
    If I was a million dollar player I'd make sure I had an entire row for sleepin'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. Miami used their slot on Yedlin. Swapping spots with Cincinnati should be pretty cheap. Probably like $50k in GAM
    It's Cincinatti. They'll probably pay us to take it.

I'll never forget the Nick Hagglund trade. Cincinnatti gets Nick Hagglund. Toronto gets 200k GAM, 100k TAM, and the right to move from #24 to #1 in the Allocation Order (Omar Gonzalez).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The issue is opportunity cost. That number 2 slot has, potentially, serious value.

Can we not just sign him, pass at number 2, and trade $20K in GAM for, say, the number 23 slot? I mean, who else is going to sign him? He won’t report ..
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The issue is opportunity cost. That number 2 slot has, potentially, serious value.

Can we not just sign him, pass at number 2, and trade $20K in GAM for, say, the number 23 slot? I mean, who else is going to sign him? He won’t report ..
    I think you’re correct. He’s simply not reporting to anyone else. I’d go one step further and say don’t pick him at all. I believe he’s 100% free then.

It would be interesting to go this route just to see everyone’s heads explode. Want to see a rule change, have a player basically skip the reallocation to go to a rich team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know how often players come to MLS via allocation on an annual basis? Just trying to figure out how likely it is that there would be two players (in addition to Yedlin) come to MLS via allocation this year if we don’t use it on Gio.
    Tried to find an easy transaction tracker that includes allocation order moves but couldn’t find one.