Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    My theory is TFC are "rewarding" Oso for his years of service by letting his contract run out and giving him one final chance at Europe
    My thoery is that Oso is letting his contract run out. His initiative, not TFC's. Agreed with the rest.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    My thoery is that Oso is letting his contract run out. His initiative, not TFC's. Agreed with the rest.
    Absolutely , this is his opportunity to see what’s out there and cash in. The time for him will never be better for a move in January if he so chooses fresh off being on the greatest stage at the World Cup.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Absolutely , this is his opportunity to see what’s out there and cash in. The time for him will never be better for a move in January if he so chooses fresh off being on the greatest stage at the World Cup.
    He'll be 30 by the time the World Cup hits. I think he has a better chance at making a move to Mexico than he does Europe.
    If he does go to Europe, I'd be at a smaller club, similar to the level of TFC, but with a lot less clout.

Mexico would be his best bet at this point IMO. He'd get more respect there at 30 than he would elsewhere.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    He'll be 30 by the time the World Cup hits. I think he has a better chance at making a move to Mexico than he does Europe.
    If he does go to Europe, I'd be at a smaller club, similar to the level of TFC, but with a lot less clout.

Mexico would be his best bet at this point IMO. He'd get more respect there at 30 than he would elsewhere.
    What you say makes sense. He keeps saying he wants to go to Europe though...
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you say makes sense. He keeps saying he wants to go to Europe though...
    I could see the jump to a smaller La Liga side, especially with his Spanish speaking skills.

Thinking about Oso the only reason he would want to stay is because money might be better here and he can be home. He's really done everything he can at TFC, so aside from them giving him the armband (which they should) I'm not sure where the incentive is to stay all things being the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Oso could for sure play for Chelsea. They are nothing but malnourished skinny guys.
    Did I say Oso can play for Chelsea? Mr. Jorginho played a big part in Italy not being at the World Cup, I’ll go even further and say that if you replaced Oso with Jorginho at TFC you would not notice much of a difference!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I could see the jump to a smaller La Liga side, especially with his Spanish speaking skills.

Thinking about Oso the only reason he would want to stay is because money might be better here and he can be home. He's really done everything he can at TFC, so aside from them giving him the armband (which they should) I'm not sure where the incentive is to stay all things being the same.
    Ya mid-lower table Spain or Portugal. probably playing in front of a mostly empty stadium. At least he'll get some runs in against bigger clubs there. Still...30. Who takes a chance on that? only a desperate team looking to fill a specific need.

I'm making it sound like he isn't good enough - which isn't the case at all. He can deal in mid tier Europe - I just think European clubs won't respect him cos he's 30 and has spent his entire career in MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do not underestimate the power of a World Cup appearance added to mid season desperation - there will be suitors.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Ya mid-lower table Spain or Portugal. probably playing in front of a mostly empty stadium. At least he'll get some runs in against bigger clubs there. Still...30. Who takes a chance on that? only a desperate team looking to fill a specific need.

I'm making it sound like he isn't good enough - which isn't the case at all. He can deal in mid tier Europe - I just think European clubs won't respect him cos he's 30 and has spent his entire career in MLS.
    Sounds about right Jabbronies, journeymen midfielders like Oso are scattered all across Europe , and before you all start telling me that he’s a World Cup midfielder, think again we are Canada , Oso is fine in MLS , but in truth only a bottom team Portugal or Belgian league calibre player.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Sounds about right Jabbronies, journeymen midfielders like Oso are scattered all across Europe , and before you all start telling me that he’s a World Cup midfielder, think again we are Canada , Oso is fine in MLS , but in truth only a bottom team Portugal or Belgian league calibre player.
    He'd probably see that as an upgrade because he would be "playing in Europe."

A more realistic assessment would say that at his stage only going to a top league and better team (to play alongside great players) in Europe is worth relocating yourself, learning another language (which wouldn't apply to Spain) and culture, and dealing with all the pain that comes with the bureaucracy typical of Europe (only people who've lived there as residents would know). Quite honestly he has a really good gig and paycheck at TFC and giving that up to be nailed to the bench for a bottom-feeder team in Portugal wouldn't be the best decision. But the draw of "Europe" is strong and seen through rose-coloured glasses by many players.

Going at 20, even to a lower team, is a totally different thing because some of the better European leagues have good development systems that are still ahead of what you can get in Canada (although Canada is catching up). Oso is not at that stage of his career though, he's at his peak and it's downhill from here.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-13-2022 at 07:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He'd probably see that as an upgrade because he would be "playing in Europe."

A more realistic assessment would say that at his stage only going to a top league and better team (to play alongside great players) in Europe is worth relocating yourself, learning another language (which wouldn't apply to Spain) and culture, and dealing with all the pain that comes with the bureaucracy typical of Europe (only people who've lived there as residents would know). Quite honestly he has a really good gig and paycheck at TFC and giving that up to be nailed to the bench for a bottom-feeder team in Portugal wouldn't be the best decision. But the draw of "Europe" is strong and seen through rose-coloured glasses by many players.

Going at 20, even to a lower team, is a totally different thing because some of the better European leagues have good development systems that are still ahead of what you can get in Canada (although Canada is catching up). Oso is not at that stage of his career though, he's at his peak and it's downhill from here.
    I don't think it's fair to categorize Oso as bottom-tier Portugal. I think he could carve out a role anywhere below the top three.

The problem for Oso is moving anywhere and getting nailed to the bench. He went through a period I think in 2016 even where he struggled to crack the XI and even now gets subbed at times. If he wants guaranteed playing time he's moving to a bottom tier team or at least to play for a manager that believes in him. Does he really want to go and grind his way into a Starting XI in Europe at the age of 30?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem for Oso is moving anywhere and getting nailed to the bench. He went through a period I think in 2016 even where he struggled to crack the XI and even now gets subbed at times. If he wants guaranteed playing time he's moving to a bottom tier team or at least to play for a manager that believes in him. Does he really want to go and grind his way into a Starting XI in Europe at the age of 30?
    Yep, Laryea being a cautionary tale at this point.

Honestly, he should take the money from TFC and retire here. But if he wants to play in Europe, he’s got my support.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's fair to categorize Oso as bottom-tier Portugal. I think he could carve out a role anywhere below the top three.

The problem for Oso is moving anywhere and getting nailed to the bench.
    If he managed to sign for a mid-table team, his situation with that regard would actually be worse than with a bottom-feeder because he would be even further down the roster.

There's a lot of guys like Oso in Europe while at TFC he's a key player. I don't see any realistic situation where he's better off on a roster in Europe at his age except maybe some more cash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he managed to sign for a mid-table team, his situation with that regard would actually be worse than with a bottom-feeder because he would be even further down the roster.

There's a lot of guys like Oso in Europe while at TFC he's a key player. I don't see any realistic situation where he's better off on a roster in Europe at his age except maybe some more cash.
    Again I believe this is unfair. There are a lot of players like Oso primarily because his role is very necessary meaning players like him are always in demand. Oso will likely make less cash in Europe given the teams he would be able to make the 18 for, but he could definitely play top 5 football for 25-30 matches anywhere that isn't english.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again I believe this is unfair. There are a lot of players like Oso primarily because his role is very necessary meaning players like him are always in demand. Oso will likely make less cash in Europe given the teams he would be able to make the 18 for, but he could definitely play top 5 football for 25-30 matches anywhere that isn't english.
    Fair enough. I guess we'll have to see how things go for him if he does move. Make no mistake, I like Oso, both for TFC and for Canada. I think he meshes well with both teams. I'm just a little more skeptical over what a move to Europe would be for him professionally and for that only time can tell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As some one said earlier: I’ll miss him if he goes, but all power to him if he gets the right situation. I am sure he is chastened but Richies’ experience.