Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I didn't see a mention of a CB being an issue just the roster lacking some firepower. They have over rated their youth if they were counting on them to fill the gaps. I read this interview as a suit popping his head out to take credit for past success, wash his hands of the current state, and pretend he knows what needs to be done going forward. How does he not already have a plan to rest the roster-why does he have to see the remaining games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I find it utterly bizarre that Manning highlights the absence of Piatti.

Yup, TFC fans, midfield is where the problem is.

I also find this kind of suit-trick thing deeply annoying. In discussing Bradley sitting: “And so if managing minutes is going to help him — I'm sure he and Javier have talked — that's the most important thing. Michael is a guy who will do whatever it takes for the good of the team. And that's what makes him special and why he's been a champion."

Manning is pretending he doesn’t know whether Perez and Bradley have talked, because he wants to pretend he had nothing to do with any of this.
    Wasn't Piatti close to Poz? Is there something there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And yes, the interview is weird in that it sidesteps obvious flaws such as that we are all midfield with no defence and no attack. Not persuasive that he has a realistic appraisal of this team. Quite separately, the field looked terrible last night - hash marks from the CFL??? Cannot be soccer. What is he doing there to ensure a premium facility for play and for recruiting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    And yes, the interview is weird in that it sidesteps obvious flaws such as that we are all midfield with no defence and no attack. Not persuasive that he has a realistic appraisal of this team. Quite separately, the field looked terrible last night - hash marks from the CFL??? Cannot be soccer. What is he doing there to ensure a premium facility for play and for recruiting?

Kinda smells like Omar was his decision but not keeping Piatti was advice from elsewhere, likely Curtis.

He's going to toss Curtis under the bus, would be my assumption. It also reads like he has oversold Perez to someone and he may have suggested he's someone to "right the ship," which is probably a mistake.

I mean, all specs here, as we have no idea. But it was carefully tailored to suggest this is a 'firepower' issue, not defense, when it's clearly both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Kinda smells like Omar was his decision but not keeping Piatti was advice from elsewhere, likely Curtis.

He's going to toss Curtis under the bus, would be my assumption. It also reads like he has oversold Perez to someone and he may have suggested he's someone to "right the ship," which is probably a mistake.

I mean, all specs here, as we have no idea. But it was carefully tailored to suggest this is a 'firepower' issue, not defense, when it's clearly both.
    Exactly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    In true corporate lizard fashion, his primary objective seems to be delaying decisions until later to prolong his tenure and avoid being pinned with obvious failures.

I read that article as confirmation Ali is (likely) already dead. Manning just doesn’t want to move on that yet because that’s one more chess piece off the board and then he has no more fall-guys. It’s the same reason they hesitated to fire Armas.

Hate to say it, but maybe we should hope we faceplant through the end of the year. Might be the quickest way to clear out the deadweight in management

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...575267492.html

Manning interview. Sounds like folks is getting fired...
    I thought one of the most interesting parts from the article was how when Manning was in charge of Tampa Bay years ago they had the worst season on record, 14pts. Now the same president is about to set a modern day version of the same record!?! I’m not sure about the stats, but I would venture to guess that no other MLS presidents have steered two different clubs to record setting horrible seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    In true corporate lizard fashion, his primary objective seems to be delaying decisions until later to prolong his tenure and avoid being pinned with obvious failures.

I read that article as confirmation Ali is (likely) already dead. Manning just doesn’t want to move on that yet because that’s one more chess piece off the board and then he has no more fall-guys. It’s the same reason they hesitated to fire Armas.

Hate to say it, but maybe we should hope we faceplant through the end of the year. Might be the quickest way to clear out the deadweight in management
    If I was a player and read that article it would be hard not to recognize that Manning is a snake in the grass, who cannot be trusted. Not someone I would want around.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    I thought one of the most interesting parts from the article was how when Manning was in charge of Tampa Bay years ago they had the worst season on record, 14pts. Now the same president is about to set a modern day version of the same record!?! I’m not sure about the stats, but I would venture to guess that no other MLS presidents have steered two different clubs to record setting horrible seasons.
    Not to mention with the budget he has available to him here at TFC and one of the highest paid teams in the league. I wouldn't think he had the same resources available back then did he?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"We had a really good run with this group," said Manning. "I'd say a five-year run where we were, if not the best, one of the top two or three teams in the league consistently.
    "Now we have to lay out a plan how to put this season behind us, be bold and put together a group that is going to be a championship contender. That's what I always talk about and we're nowhere near that right now."

this is the most encouraging part, referring to the current group and mainstays of the past 5 years in the past tense.

looks like they finally realized they need to totally rebuild the squad's foundations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no confidence that they have the knowledge or capacity to rebuild. It's not exactly a surprise that they had an aging injury prone roster with inadequate back ups in key positions, and in the midst of this they paid huge money for a talent - Soteldo - that does fix any of the obvious problems the club has had (like lack of a secondary scoring threat, lack of a number two (or number three)) defender, etc). To say now that we had a good run and now we have to rebuild is an admission of complete management failure - there should have been a lsow rebuild all along, like the elite teams. For us, money was no object - the only thing in the way was and is the skill of senior management.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would note the Piatti bit is not actually quoted - can't really judge at all what was said there. A LOT of that article is Davidson editorializing - its Davidson who talks about Gonzalez & Mavinga being effective.

Apart from that, IF Manning sticks around, and that increasingly looks likely, I appreciate that he basically is saying its time to make wholesale changes - the quote about needing a new group is encouraging. The fact playoffs were not mentioned is good. Time to move on.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 09-09-2021 at 09:16 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In true corporate lizard fashion, his primary objective seems to be delaying decisions until later to prolong his tenure ...
    Uh, there is no real possibility of making changes now. That article basically says they were going to try a new coach, see if he could work with the group this year & rebuild around that coach next year. Coach flamed out. Building next year again.

In essence, Covid uncertainty meant the team was not going to be able to do much switching around. That was the theory. People may disagree with that approach but it sounds like once 2020 finished, the team decided to stand pat for one more season.

Now, pretty much everybody in here has been basically saying that was a mistake but that was the call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Editorializing of that article alongside no access to interview transcript is big red flag for a puff piece.

The fact that this puff piece still makes Manning and the club look like shit tells you just how useless management currently is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Uh, there is no real possibility of making changes now. That article basically says they were going to try a new coach, see if he could work with the group this year & rebuild around that coach next year. Coach flamed out. Building next year again.

In essence, Covid uncertainty meant the team was not going to be able to do much switching around. That was the theory. People may disagree with that approach but it sounds like once 2020 finished, the team decided to stand pat for one more season.

Now, pretty much everybody in here has been basically saying that was a mistake but that was the call.
    Can’t say I share this opinion. Both Montreal and Vancouver have made adjustments in this environment and face equivalent circumstances to ourselves.

There is no “pandemic issue” that prevents us from showing Curtis the door today and moving on. It’s simply a game of optics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Editorializing of that article alongside no access to interview transcript is big red flag for a puff piece.

The fact that this puff piece still makes Manning and the club look like shit tells you just how useless management currently is.
    He didn't really editorialize, he paraphrased. The only editorializing there was the word "interesting," which in sports reporter circles doesn't even qualify.

If a newspaper reporter says someone else said something or talked about something and what he prints reflects that accurately, it's paraphrasing. Given how garbled quotes often are when people speak them, it's actually more honest than what many reporters do, which is just clean up the quote.

If a newspaper reporter renders JUDGEMENT on what's being said, that's editorializing.

The fact that he said Manning pointed to Piatti as an issue of why we're scoring less means Manning pointed to Piatti as an issue, not that he mentioned Piatti wasn't here and the writer drew conclusions.

That's still how those rules work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can’t say I share this opinion. Both Montreal and Vancouver have made adjustments in this environment and face equivalent circumstances to ourselves.

There is no “pandemic issue” that prevents us from showing Curtis the door today and moving on. It’s simply a game of optics.
    Bingo.

Only reason Ali hasn't been sacked is because of his new 3 year deal. It looks bad on Manning to fire the GM within 6 months.

Armas was let go 2-3 games late, same situation, it makes Ali look bad. They both stuck there head in the sand, hoped and prayed Armas would turn it around. Look at that dumpster fire of a conference, can't even confirm interim, they let Armas hung to dry too.

If the MLSE board wasn't asleep at the wheel both these clowns would have been shit canned. Unfortunately TFC is on par with the Argos, small time club and irrelevant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does Manning have a job this morning still? He has ran the highest payroll team in the MLS into a laughingstock. We are horrible. No sugar coating....no more excuses of "not playing at home", etc...this is a fiasco.

No more of these clueless Americans like Manning and Curtis in this club. Enough is enough.

PS take "Captain" Bradley with them...he is collecting a million dollar paycheque for nothing...zero leadership and he is hopeless out there. And Altidore is laughing all the way to the bank on his 5th highest pay in all of the MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the first time since the club's inception, I am going to cancel my season seats. The question I have is, what are they going to go with my credit.

Congratulations Manning, you've personally run this club to the ground and turned us into the league laughing stock. How can you claim that TFC will always be one of the league top spenders, yet have a clown running it into shits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just thinking - could the problem actually be the Argos? Manning was named Argo's president at the beginning of 2018, and things seemed to start taking a downward turn at TFC soon after. Could it be that because he is splitting his time between the two organizations, that he can't give enough attention to either? If that's the case, then the fault lies with the MLSE board that's trying to penny pinch in places where they shouldn't. Perhaps Manning left everything to Bez to run, including the President tasks, and Bez decided he may as well take the title in Columbus? I could see him hiring Ali (the result having his focus split meant not a detailed vetting of the candidate) and leaving the entire organization to Curtis to run while he focused on the Argos, and that's come back to bite him in the butt.
    Last edited by Initial B; 09-12-2021 at 06:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I was just thinking - could the problem actually be the Argos? Manning was named Argo's president at the beginning of 2018, and things seemed to start taking a downward turn at TFC soon after. Could it be that because he is splitting his time between the two organizations, that he can't give enough attention to either? If that's the case, then the fault lies with the MLSE board that's trying to penny pinch in places where they shouldn't. Perhaps Manning left everything to Bez to run, including the President tasks, and Bez decided he may as well take the title in Columbus? I could see him hiring Ali (the result having his focus split meant not a detailed vetting of the candidate) and leaving the entire organization to Curtis to run while he focused on the Argos, and that's come back to bite him in the butt.
    Manning could go hyper-focused and dedicate 168 hours a week to TFC and I doubt the outcome improves. The peak was 2017, ever since its been a steady downward trend until this year where the bottom completely fell out. I believe the last piece holding this ship from sinking was Vanney and his staff, one he left along with his coaches we we're left with 100% team Ali and Manning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another TIFO should be made.

This guy screwed up Seba and Jozy's contract by thinking he can bully these guys into playing on 1 year and letting the contract run out- pure arrogance to change a system that is used all over the world.

this is the point he should have been fired- it has been a mess ever since.

If he can boast about championships, treble, playoff team he should be held accountable for his terrible player management.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FootBallAZ View Post
    This guy screwed up Seba and Jozy's contract by thinking he can bully these guys into playing on 1 year and letting the contract run out- pure arrogance to change a system that is used all over the world.
    All over the world except in MLS where there's a more American Pro sports system in place.

The Jozy mistake was re-signing him at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    All over the world except in MLS where there's a more American Pro sports system in place.

The Jozy mistake was re-signing him at all.

i agree- but if they deal with it like how it should have been done im sure it wouldnt have been as high as he is getting paid now.

he had all the leverage while TFC was scrambling to keep one of their DP's and not have supporters upset.

I honestly cannot comment on a good move for TFC in a long time.

Solteldo - no
    Jozy- no
    Pozuelo - okay - unsure where is
    lawrence - over a CB?- no
    not bringing a keeper for competition vs bono/westberg

ignoring supporters and thinking he is smarter than and not even communicating at all.

he needs to go ASAP- I was patient at first as I thought it was all Curtis- but the more and more I think about it -the more arrogance i see from manning trickle down from the top.

just get rid of him- i have zero confidence that they'll be able to finesse this roster to something salvageable -like Masai has done or is in the process of doing. SMH

I only am keeping my seasons due to world cup 2026-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The free fall continues. All with the highest payroll in the league. The attendance also was brutally low...will that finally wake up MLSE that yes "Houston, we have a problem". Ffs, how does Manning still have a job this morning?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning can stay as long as he does one of two things very shortly:

1. Fires Curtis, and brings in a new GM before the end of November latest. This GM can then have input to the hiring of a manager before xmas so we get a full preparation of pre season with our new leadership

Or

2. Brings in a new manager shortly after season end and is essentially acting GM for that manager while Curtis serves beer on game days until he resigns and we don’t eat his contract. We can then hire a GM to work with the new manager. Said manager should have some input to the new GM.

To me if neither of those happen he should be gone by xmas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They need to clean house from a management perspective; I am fine if they move on of their own volition but it's been a steady decline - and Manning has been given resources.. And separate the role of the Argo president from TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillos View Post
    Manning can stay as long as he does one of two things very shortly:

1. Fires Curtis, and brings in a new GM before the end of November latest. This GM can then have input to the hiring of a manager before xmas so we get a full preparation of pre season with our new leadership

Or

2. Brings in a new manager shortly after season end and is essentially acting GM for that manager while Curtis serves beer on game days until he resigns and we don’t eat his contract. We can then hire a GM to work with the new manager. Said manager should have some input to the new GM.

To me if neither of those happen he should be gone by xmas.
    At this time, I don't trust Manning in making the right hire for this, if infact the board @ MLSE will even allow them to buyout the remaining part of Curtis' contract.

I suspect even if he is to bring in a GM, Manning will still want a significant say in how the team is managed.

If anything, the change needs to start from Manning's level, and filter its way down.

Interestingly, there was an article posted on mlssoccer.com today with regards to the owner of the Houston Dynamo searching for a new GM, particularly his vision, timelines, and roster building. Including boosting their academy. I have no idea what tfc's current plans are to bolster its academy.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/houst...building-plans
    Last edited by spe18; 09-15-2021 at 06:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem in Manning going too. I do think he let Curtis go for too long with Armas.

But, I like to think you get two screw ups. As a GM you get two shots at a good manager. As a President you get two shots at a good GM. Curtis failed with multiple signings, held on to armas so long it is like failing twice and I don’t think Perez was a good hire for the rest of the season. Manning can have one more shot at bringing in a GM if he follows my two points. Just my opinion, and again I would be fine he was canned as well right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillos View Post
    Don’t get me wrong, I have no problem in Manning going too. I do think he let Curtis go for too long with Armas.

But, I like to think you get two screw ups. As a GM you get two shots at a good manager. As a President you get two shots at a good GM. Curtis failed with multiple signings, held on to armas so long it is like failing twice and I don’t think Perez was a good hire for the rest of the season. Manning can have one more shot at bringing in a GM if he follows my two points. Just my opinion, and again I would be fine he was canned as well right now.
    Manning has to go for the idiotic choice to make Curtis the GM in the first place. Why would you get "two shots"? So you are saying he gets a free pass on hiring his way over his head and red bulls reject here and destroying the team? This is gross incompetence from him and also Curtis. They both must go.