0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    Start the car!!!!!

BRILLIANT

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said it at joes and I'll say it again: that was some Greece 2004 Euro shit right there.

On the plus side.. if this were last year this game would've easily been 2-0 for red bull, but goddamn. the only consultation I could take was that our defence looked solid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Hey, that was my idea for transforming the tfc logo!
    Nice one, man. It's always neat when an idea you have is shown some love! =)

Personally think it's too simple, but a clean alternative for maybe one or two special edition jerseys/training shirts.

WHAT a game. The missus had to peel me off the ceiling! ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    I said it at joes and I'll say it again: that was some Greece 2004 Euro shit right there.

On the plus side.. if this were last year this game would've easily been 2-0 for red bull, but goddamn. the only consultation I could take was that our defence looked solid.
    Consolation.

It was a bunker down type of performance, but NYRB is virtually unbeatable at home. It was the right strategy, and we really didn't give up much. If anything, we probably had more quality scoring chances than they did.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Endoh looks like something we have just never had before - an MLS caliber winger. (Did anyone else notice a play forward in the 60th or 65th minute? a long ball to Gio worked, and he went 1v1 on Baah and lost, but Endoh was wide open at the top of the screen - Endoh would've maybe scored there if he'd received the ball... ?)

I'm not sure you can say Vanney won the tactical battle. We totally lost the possession battle, Gio as a lone striker really never did create a good scoring chance, and it was brutal for long stretches of the second half before the goal. We were just hoofing it away TFC 2008 style. The Lovitz sub, that should have come at halftime, that was incredibly obvious.

(Grella reminded me totally of Barrett - not sure he should be starting - they'd have won the game going away if more of their chances had fallen to BWP. Baah was very good, the PK was just one of those things, he pretty much bottled Gio up.)

Loved Moor. Worried, maybe very worried, about Beitashour - is he Nick Garcia? Looked like an ultra-confident guy who has lost a step, can't compensate, and will get into repeated trouble because of it.

On a related point, thrilled to see our man Ashtone Morgan out there in a key spot. he needs a nickname, he is Mr TFC. He looked good. He may get some time at LB again I suspect.

Not sure Bradley had his role figured out. As ever, is that on Bradley, or Vanney? Several of the good NYRB chances featured him, or spaces vacated by him. He is lucky they didn't result in goals, or the chatter about that would be significant.

I'm 90% thrilled. But I remember us beating LA away in the opener in 2008, and Vancouver last year, and I saw a lot of problems out there....
    Last edited by ensco; 03-06-2016 at 05:18 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy's injury actually worked in TFC's favour today as it allowed to play two wingers who provided the necessary cover. No chance Seba puts in the shift that Lovitz did today.

The players played their roles very well, including Lovitz. He sucked with the ball but provided the cover that Vanney clearly wanted. Endoh made some rookie mistakes but showed some decent technical ability and an eagerness to run and play defense, and that can't be understated.

Bradley played the CDM role admirably, pressured well with four tackles and six interceptions. The man has a very high defensive IQ when he wants to show it. Selfless performance from the captain. TFC will need more from the CMs as far as interplay goes, but they worked their asses of today.

Moor was quite sound positionally, made some big clearances. As KJ alluded to, I think he and Perquis can compliment each other well.

Finally, as a Vanney hater I will admit that the coach was just about bang on today, personnel wise and tactically. Very strong away performance.

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I'm not sure you can say Vanney won the tactical battle. We totally lost the possession battle, Gio as a lone striker really never did create a good scoring chance, and it was brutal for long stretches of the second half before the goal. We were just hoofing it away TFC 2008 style. But yeah, I'm 90% thrilled.

Loved Moor. Worried, maybe very worried, anbout Beitashour - is he Nick Garcia? Looked like an ultra-confident guy who has lost a step, can't compensate, and will get into repeated trouble because of it.
    Most teams lose the possession battle against NY at home. That's how they play. Playing Seba anywhere but CF today would have caused TFC's defense a world of trouble.

As for Beitashour, a little harsh I think as he was positionally sound in his first match of the season with a new team. Definitely doesn't deserve the "Garcia" title already, poor guy.
    Last edited by Bobo; 03-06-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was expecting a loss and would have been happy with a tie. What is this weird feeling I have that is beyond happy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really irritated that the MLS article says RBNY "dominated" us for 80 minutes.

I say we storm their offices and douse them all in beer. Who is with me??

...anyway, good away performance. Moor looks to be an exceptional pickup.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Well, I'd say they dominated us for 50 or 60 minutes. We had them on their heels for a few minutes in the first 15, and then late of course. Other than that, it was one way traffic.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone please make a GIF of that Seba celebration?! That was hilarious.

Oh, and for those hating on Nigel Reed, I have 1000 words for you.

Last edited by Bobo; 03-06-2016 at 06:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Well, I'd say they dominated us for 50 or 60 minutes. We had them on their heels for a few minutes in the first 15, and then late of course. Other than that, it was one way traffic.
    dominating possession doesn't mean dominating the game. They rarely got any solid chances.

Vanney's game plan worked in the end, and that's the second time he's out-coached last year's supporter's shield winners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bobo View Post
    can someone please make a gif of that seba celebration?! That was hilarious.

Oh, and for those hating on nigel reed, i have 1000 words for you.

joe-vin-co!
    Al-ti-dor!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Surrounding giovinco with 2 rookies...sigh. it's gonna be a long game, let alone season.
    Hoping for a draw, expecting 3-0 for the bad guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Red Bulls are going to win this because our midfield is going to let them get the ball in front of our back 4 too many times. But, that high line NYRB is playing is going to cost them eventually.
    Quote Originally Posted by the beat View Post
    We'll be lucky to get a point out of this game at this rate, let alone three.
    After so many bad years, pessimism was natural!

What I saw in this game was quite interesting: more whole-team defending, calmer defensive play.
    Endoh was better than I expected, not quite the finished article, but certainly looks like he has a good future with the team.

There were a lot of white-knuckle moments when RBNY put on the pressure, but unlike previous years the team didn't crack.

The tactics were brilliant overall. I especially liked the much improved defending and the nice wide play up until the PK, followed by a more defensive play afterwards. In this game Vanney outcoached the 2015 MLS coach of the year, and RBNY was clearly frustrated by their inability to get much rhythm going for most of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    They played a defensive counter, it worked. This was tactics.
    Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

Vanney passes the first test with flying colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post

Finally, as a Vanney hater I will admit that the coach was just about bang on today, personnel wise and tactically. Very strong away performance.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Beitashour was super solid. Better than Morrow, who had a few slip ups. Wait until we play some less possession-oriented teams or play at home, he should be even better once he starts bombing forward down the right (both fullbacks were clearly instructed to stay back and keep the shape today).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kudos to Vanney on this. Our midfield harried theirs constantly once they got near/ past centre, almost like a defensive press, and moved the ball smartly once we had it. It looked like seven midfielders, not five. Unfortunately, we didn't see much hold up play with Gio on his own. We will see more when Jozy returns, but will be a man short in midfield, which will hurt.

rankings: Gio - quiet until he was brilliant, 7.0; Lovitz - effective on the D, 5.5; Endoh impressive for a rookie. All sins forgiven. 7.0; Bradley, Delgado, Osorio all hardworking and effective in the midfield 6.5; Johnson for me had his moments but the others outshone him 6.0; Morrow, Moor, Perquis solid 6.0; Beitashour looked mentally a step off the pace 5.5; Irwin looked good. Mone shot on goal. Hard to rank so N/R Morgan: glad he got on. Looked good on the wing. N/R
    Last edited by MightyDM; 03-06-2016 at 07:00 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say we storm their offices and douse them all in beer. Who is with me?
    What a perfectly waste of beer! (unless it's PBR) I say we drown them in battery acid!

Aside from that, 2-0 against a team our side has never before beaten in their own building! I say good things are going to happen to TFC this year.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say we storm their offices and douse them all in beer. Who is with me??

...anyway, good away performance. Moor looks to be an exceptional pickup.
    I would say a good 65 minutes.

not as bad as the first half of first game last year vs vancouver, we still came out with the W as well. First 2 games of mls season have no baring on how season will go, its like preseason ... so these are bonus points

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    I would say a good 65 minutes.

not as bad as the first half of first game last year vs vancouver, we still came out with the W as well. First 2 games of mls season have no baring on how season will go, its like preseason ... so these are bonus points
    They dominated possession, which is standard when you're going for a classic counter-attacking strategy. We held the line pretty well, and they couldn't make much out of all of that possession.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuliquE View Post
    Nice one, man. It's always neat when an idea you have is shown some love! =)

Personally think it's too simple, but a clean alternative for maybe one or two special edition jerseys/training shirts.

To clarify: I am in no way involved with MLSE or Adidas. I just meant it was an idea I proposed while we were speculating on the kit redesign ... which to be fair was influenced by the bracelet thing that came with last year's season seat holder package.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 0bl1vious View Post
    Hahahah oh my god. What a thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just watched the Whitecaps vs Montreal. They replaced Beitashour with Fraser Aird from the Scottish 2nd tier... we got the better of that deal by a long shot. I thought Beta had a good debut. Irwin had little to do & made the one big save he needed to. Vanney got the game play right - except for Lovitz.. he could easily have had a second yellow & that was down to Vanney taking too long to make the change.

For me the weak spots were of course Lovitz who cannot possibly be a starter. My main worry for our team is the depth situation - we just let Warner - Luke Moore - and Hercules Gomez.. with no one coming in. Theroux on the bench is decent back up...we are putting a lot of faith in the young replacements.
    Last edited by Hamilton_Red; 03-06-2016 at 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best celebration ever doing wheelies on a harley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Best celebration ever doing wheelies on a harley.
    Surely it was a Ducati ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anyone else as impressed by Johnson as I am? I feel like he had a MOTM-level game. He was always breaking up plays and passes in the centre of the park and just being a nuisance, a lot like Bradley but more contained. I really feel like if we hadn't had him today this would have gone totally different. To me he looks like our best signing of the off-season so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAM View Post
    Is anyone else as impressed by Johnson as I am? I feel like he had a MOTM-level game. He was always breaking up plays and passes in the centre of the park and just being a nuisance, a lot like Bradley but more contained. I really feel like if we hadn't had him today this would have gone totally different. To me he looks like our best signing of the off-season so far.
    Like Bradley in Seattle a couple of years ago, except Johnson was playing like he'd just done bath salts

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAM View Post
    Very impressive, agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Johnson and and Endoh were great as were all our new defenders and goalie. Good to see Bradley in a role that actually suited him, till we find a real CDM! I still maintain Delgado is one of our most underrated players, kid has consistently good finishing skills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC employed a high press today. It worked.

Ive never seen TFC high press before. Usually other teams just high press us.

Hats off to Vanney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
    I still maintain Delgado is one of our most underrated players, kid has consistently good finishing skills.
    Agreed. He had a great season last year and he's 2 years younger than Endoh. If TFC were smart they'd sign him to a long term deal.