Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    Is there anyway we can cut him from the squad and go after Agudelo from NE as a replacement? If we don't do something to replace him our most promising season so far will end up going the same way as our previous ones
    Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Mid-season, the only option (outside of a trade or transfer) is to waive him, like we had to do before with Gilberto, and we only receive cap/DP slot relief if someone within the league picks him and his contract up.

There's more flexibility at the end of the year. If we decide to move on we could try trading him to Atlanta as I imagined. If there are no suitors within the league, we could always transfer him abroad, probably take a huge bath on the transfer fee but at least he'd be off the books completely and we'd be able to pocket a portion, however small, as allocation money. Last resort would be to use our one offseason buyout to get him off the cap, but the MLSE board would have to sign off on a buyout that large.
    Just to add to these posts, I 'd though I'd also post the roster rules:

(D) BUYOUT OF GUARANTEED CONTRACT
    A club may buy out one player who has a Guaranteed Contract (including a DP’s) during the offseason and free up the corresponding budget space. Such a buyout is at the MLS club’s expense.

A club may not free up room in the salary budget with a buyout of a player’s contract during the season. In the case a team buys out a player’s contract during the season, the buyout amount will be charged against the club’s salary budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ronzilla View Post
    Skill wise, they are moon's apart. Soccer is a business, and if a player doesn't live up to his expectations, they are gone regardless of the friendship.

Obvious reasons? Lol there is none. It's lunacy to defend altidore at this point. Numbers speak louder than words.

Last season the knock on him was that he didn't do anything when he played but score goals. It's ridiculous to turn around this season and say that "numbers speak louder than words" because he hasn't scored in five games - games where he's given his best all around performance's since he's got here.

The obvious reason is that attention to Jozy gives massive space for Seba to play in. Don't intentionally miss the point just because you're disappointed he got injured again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets not forget that Altidore is still only 26.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His age is actually a concern, because typically the older you get, the more frequent injuries become and take longer to heal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Last season the knock on him was that he didn't do anything when he played but score goals. It's ridiculous to turn around this season and say that "numbers speak louder than words" because he hasn't scored in five games - games where he's given his best all around performance's since he's got here.

The obvious reason is that attention to Jozy gives massive space for Seba to play in. Don't intentionally miss the point just because you're disappointed he got injured again.

You seem confused. It's Seba that draws in 4-5 players, and he creates his own space. Jozy is the least of worries for defenders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You seem confused. It's Seba that draws in 4-5 players, and he creates his own space. Jozy is the least of worries for defenders.
    Because Seba had so much room to work with in those games up top by himself to start the season.

You can't say he draws 4-5 players but also creates his own space. Those things are opposites. He's very adept at finding space, specifically down the left, but he works very well with a guy like Altidore occupying 1-2 CB's with his physicality and presence. It draws attention away from Seba.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore is DP worthy because he creates space for Seba...now I've heard everything.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-5 opposing players on Seba if it's in the air?

Not always.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shwade View Post
    Altidore is DP worthy because he creates space for Seba...now I've heard everything.
    Where did I say that?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Where did I say that?
    He may be gone. He's heard everything.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just gonna put this here

Old dude who scores at a WAY faster clip then anybody is injured and heading home to see family.

LEGEND

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Goes back to the panic buy of Gomez to cover in case Altidore didn't come back from injury (who isn't doing gangbusters at Seattle BTW) after the panic getting of Kantari.
    <snip>
    Needs fixing but no panic.
    I think the reason we saw those buys is probably because both Vanney and Bez were under the gun last year. If TFC didn't make the playoffs, I'm not sure either of them would have been around at the start of this season. I don't think we'll be seeing any more panic buys because they feel comfortable they can grind out results with the group they currently have. I do foresee a TAM-level attacker joining in the summer transfer window.

But Jozy, for as much as I like him and his play both this season and last, is simply too injury prone based on his last two years of service. How many games has he missed being injured? I'm pretty sure his utilization rate is under 70%. You should be getting an 85% utilization rate or higher on your DPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I think the reason we saw those buys is probably because both Vanney and Bez were under the gun last year. If TFC didn't make the playoffs, I'm not sure either of them would have been around at the start of this season. I don't think we'll be seeing any more panic buys because they feel comfortable they can grind out results with the group they currently have. I do foresee a TAM-level attacker joining in the summer transfer window.

But Jozy, for as much as I like him and his play both this season and last, is simply too injury prone based on his last two years of service. How many games has he missed being injured? I'm pretty sure his utilization rate is under 70%. You should be getting an 85% utilization rate or higher on your DPs.
    73.529%

Played 25 of 34 (regular season) last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    73.529%

Played 25 of 34 (regular season) last year.
    You should go by minutes played

1796 / 3060 = 58.693%

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    You should go by minutes played

1796 / 3060 = 58.693%
    Depends on what factors you use. Or if you want to use to skew the results... Either or, its low...

My understanding of the proper player utilization factors are below and far too much math for this afternoon.

The player utilization factor is expressed by U and it is the ratio of two weighted values: the sum of player’s prorated salary weighted by the number of minutes played mi in league matches, and the sum of players prorated salaries weighted by their maximum possible minutes played Mi in league matches.
    U=Ni=1misiNi=1Misi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Depends on what factors you use. Or if you want to use to skew the results... Either or, its low...

My understanding of the proper player utilization factors are below and far too much math for this afternoon.

The player utilization factor is expressed by U and it is the ratio of two weighted values: the sum of player’s prorated salary weighted by the number of minutes played mi in league matches, and the sum of players prorated salaries weighted by their maximum possible minutes played Mi in league matches.
    U=Ni=1misiNi=1Misi
    Really interesting stuff. I'm assuming by 'maximum possible minutes played' they're taking into account late subs? There's no escaping the fact that sometimes tactical decisions call for a healthy scratch; and you can't hold that against the player.

Either way, I wouldn't expect anyone even goalkeepers to play 100% of every minute, but I'd hope outfield regulars are getting in at least 75% of available minutes. Nothing really to that number, so I'm sure player utilization factor is much more reliable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Altidore plays again this season, would using him as a midfielder be practical?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    If Altidore plays again this season, would using him as a midfielder be practical?
    I'm sure Jurgen is considering him there for the USMNT.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba is great but the whole system is designed to open space up for him. Which in turn opens space up for others. Altitore is a HUGE part of that.

Some of these opinions read like first timer footy viewers

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    Seba is great but the whole system is designed to open space up for him. Which in turn opens space up for others. Altitore is a HUGE part of that.

Some of these opinions read like first timer footy viewers
    Giovinco makes adjustments, and, scored with, or without Altidore last season. Having another striker on the pitch who can score in open play, should give Seba even greater opportunities. You infer that in the absence of Altidore, we would have nobody. There are many players in the league who could easily replace him, and make the team better (I suppose that poll from this Spring which identified Altidore as the most overrated player in the league, was also compiled by a bunch of first time footy viewers).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC also won more games last year without jozy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The hate that happens when players miss penalties is unreal (Mahrez went through this at Leicester for several weeks mid season)

Penalties are not automatic.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone mention how the locker room chemistry would be affected if TFC chopped and changed as quick as some kid playing FIFA?

The dude is hurt and the window is closed if I'm not mistaken.

2 things I'm thankful for:

-The OP for not framing this like a "deathwatch" thread.
    -This isn't a Canada National we're criticizing again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the lack of depth we have up front,why dont they start work out Zavaleta has a striker ,he played striker in college and has some size?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Anyone mention how the locker room chemistry would be affected if TFC chopped and changed as quick as some kid playing FIFA?

The dude is hurt and the window is closed if I'm not mistaken.

2 things I'm thankful for:

-The OP for not framing this like a "deathwatch" thread.
    -This isn't a Canada National we're criticizing again.
    Considering the obscene difference in salaries, I am not so sure the departure of a player who contributes very little, will have a negative affect on the younger forwards. They want their turn, they feel they deserve it, and want to earn it. Nothing in team sports sucks as much as sitting on a bench.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering the obscene difference in salaries, I am not so sure the departure of a player who contributes very little....
    Given every player talked to says he contributes a lot, I kinda think locker room chemistry would be an issue but I'm not in there so lets just say they don't seem to think like you and me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giovinco makes adjustments, and, scored with, or without Altidore last season. Having another striker on the pitch who can score in open play, should give Seba even greater opportunities. You infer that in the absence of Altidore, we would have nobody. There are many players in the league who could easily replace him, and make the team better (I suppose that poll from this Spring which identified Altidore as the most overrated player in the league, was also compiled by a bunch of first time footy viewers).
    I guess. What do I care the opinion of random people who just have to click a button in the internet. It's not exactly ipos reid... and even if it was, how many games do they watch... and even if it's a lot, some people still have no idea what a target man is as evidenced by this weeks brain trust.

Also, I don't care how many people in the league could be better. I care how many people on the bench right now are better and the answer is no one. After all the salary complaints and the goal complaints, we have no one on the bench right now who is better than Altidore. Period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the prob is we dont have anybody on the bench,,thats another story.
    Last edited by reggie; 05-17-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    I guess. What do I care the opinion of random people who just have to click a button in the internet. It's not exactly ipos reid... and even if it was, how many games do they watch... and even if it's a lot, some people still have no idea what a target man is as evidenced by this weeks brain trust.

Also, I don't care how many people in the league could be better. I care how many people on the bench right now are better and the answer is no one. After all the salary complaints and the goal complaints, we have no one on the bench right now who is better than Altidore. Period.
    Look, I hope he proves me wrong, I like his tenacity. As for the poll, I was wrong, he was chosen second most overrated in MLS, not by a random group of internet people, but by 123 of his peers.

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-so...in-player-poll

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look, I hope he proves me wrong, I like his tenacity. As for the poll, I was wrong, he was chosen second most overrated in MLS, not by a random group of internet people, but by 123 of his peers.

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-so...in-player-poll
    And I don't wanna go point for point. But

1. over rated doesn't mean he sucks. It means we overpaid.

2. I'd call someone over rated too if they got paid 47 times more than me.