Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 misses wow. We need to do some Paul Mariner youtube scouting on players who can take penalties

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know man.. 180 minutes and only breaking them down once... then missing 3 of 4 penalties...... like. what? Better make this playoff run special. the body language on our squad was terrible.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono shows why Westberg should remain the starter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this team does not get to at least the eastern conference final they Vanney out and another loss season .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canadian media will love this. Why doesn't anyone call them out on this joke format.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No champions league.

I'd rather be in Champions league over MLS cup playoffs to be honest. The goal has to be the best on the continent not just the league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Bono shows why Westberg should remain the starter.
    Vanney should have saved the Mullins sub for Westberg at 90.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Jozy miss set the tone. Sad to say it's pretty tough to win a shootout if Oso and Bradley are your last two takers. This club legitimately has to be one of the world's worst at penalties.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    If this team does not get to at least the eastern conference final they Vanney out and another loss season .
    Vanney's strategy was fine. If the players had finished better TFC would have won in regulation. Jozy was particularly poor, perhaps exhaustion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    To get the Cup we must beat Montreal by at least 2 goals, in regulation time or overtime.
    That will be incredibly difficult... because:

- When was the last time TFC won at home with at least 2 goals difference?
    On July 7 (3-1 with the Red Bulls)

- How many games TFC had since at home with MLS opponents?
    5 (Houston, Cincinnati, Orlando, Montreal, Colorado)

- Digging even further:
    In this whole season, from a total of 16 MLS home matches, TFC won just twice with a difference of at least 2 goals (this is shocking!)

- For Montreal winning the Cup is the difference between an acceptable season and a disaster season.

PS: To have any shot at the Cup, TFC needs to get at least 3 goals, because our defence can get a clean sheet just in Footy Dreamland.

Sorry if all this sounds a bit pessimistic, but it's just a cold analysis of the stats.
    Sorry for being right, but this was to be expected.
    This season our team had a huge problem with winning games at home with more than 1 goal difference.

And as for the pk-s... seriously, how many of you did not think that Montreal has a big advantage if things go down to penalties?
    TFC is horrible on penalties, for too many years, for who knows what freaking reasons... but it's something collective. It seems the team has collective mental blockage in these situations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Management valued a home playoff game more then a Canadian championship and Champions league games in Feb and March. Otherwise wouldnt have sent already gassed Pozuelo along with other tired key players to California.

A playoff game is huge revenue, they're charging me almost double my regular season per game cost.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy was almost subbed. The argument would have been epic if we won.

We missed a few chances, in particular Jozy. But they missed 3 in the last few minutes.

Impact practiced pens. They spent extra time wasting it down to the whistle.

We are a team that relies a lot on momentum. That died with the red card.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After seeing the uncalled handball less pissed at losing in pk. Still proves this tournament is a joke not having VAR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our collective historical ineptitude in penalties is really something to behold. I doubt there's a real explanation. It just is and so it shall always be I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vanney's strategy was fine. If the players had finished better TFC would have won in regulation. Jozy was particularly poor, perhaps exhaustion.
    Could say the same for Impact in the second half, not to mention the clear penalty and red on Auro who shouldn't even have been on. What was the point of the Laryea sub other than to rest him (he didn't even look tired) Jozy worked hard and created chances but Montreal did a pretty good job at closing him and other TFC players down any time they found any space in the box. Poz was excellent, though he was absolutely exhausted at the end. We have not managed his minutes well this season

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bright side : we get to go to a CPL club next season.

Dark side : losing to the Impact always suks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unforgivable.

Missing three kicks out of four from the spot is simply poor preparation. A pro-footballer should never miss a 24x8 foot target from 12 yards. If they do they’re doing something wrong. I know the goalie and nerves play a factor, but if you aim for either top corner you take the keeper out of the equation. It simply comes down to the accuracy of your shooting. If you’ve ever been on the pitch and looked at the goal from the spot you’ll know what I mean. It seems simply impossible to miss. The number of crucial kicks that we’ve missed that have cost us (2016 MLS Cup, 2018 Guadalajara) is too high to be pure chance. The only explanation is that PKs are not part of Vanney’s training routine and its now cost us three trophies.

Oh well, at least we won’t be distracted by a tournament set up to favour Mexican clubs at the start of next season and can focus on the real prize from the off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crappy loss. TFC missed quite a few chances and scored a sloppy goal. Jozy’s pk sucked the air out of the stadium.

TFC will be well rested for the beginning of the next mls season. They will also have a more balanced schedule without the early season champions league matches.
    Last edited by benito; 09-25-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't get to catch the game. Was hoping One Soccer would put the replay up early or at least a highlight pack.

I was (not surprisingly) disappointed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    No champions league.

I'd rather be in Champions league over MLS cup playoffs to be honest. The goal has to be the best on the continent not just the league
    Get ready for some Leagues Cup action

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you, however we did not play our stars in the first 45 minutes of leg 1.

Let’s say Champions league and MLS cup playoffs are equally as important (i’d argue champions league is more important then MLS Cup playoffs) but for argument sake I’ll rate level of importance 50.50. MLS cup playoffs qualification: 50%, MLS Champions league finals 50 %. Supporters shield I don’t value winning because unlike U.S teams we can’t qualify with winning the league. We could drill down the importance base value of each competition at a more granular level when we take in profits, home field advantage and other things into consideration, but in a vacuum it's about 50.50.

There are 6 MLS canadian championship games.
    There are 34 MLS regular season games.

Therefore because they are both rated equally as important, each canadian championship game is 566% more valuable then a regular season game and that doesn't include the fact we don't need a full team to beat CPL teams right now.

I value champions league more then MLS cup, so I may value the competitions differently then others. I don't want to criticize Vanney to harshly because if we would have won I would have said it was good team management, however I did say on these boards we should send a B team to LAFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bummer.

No blame to Vanney and the players looked like they gave it all.

Poz is gassed. He’ll have to rest Sunday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Our collective historical ineptitude in penalties is really something to behold. I doubt there's a real explanation. It just is and so it shall always be I guess.
    TFC are England in disguise

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not replacing VV and Seba with comparably talented players rears its ugly head again, and again....hope I an wrong, but I envision TFC outplaying most opposition during a playoff run, but having trouble scoring in tight contests.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a frustrating night. Why does CONCACAF go straight to PKs? It’s so dumb. I’d even say that if we won..... jeez, three misses in a row (the Diop save on Mullins was very good though).

Jozy was having a real off night. He couldn’t hit anything.

Endoh’s really coming into his own. He played well.

I couldn’t tell from where I was standing if it was a red card on Mavinga. Anyone else have a better vantage point?

The only upside is that we don’t have to go to a game at BMO in February.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't agree. Two early fullback subs, when neither was injured AFAIK? 2 of 3 subs used as a result, leaving very little flexibility for the rest of the game? Pozuelo rotting on the sideline for the majority of the game? Then removing speed (Endoh) instead of adding speed (Gallardo) when we had huge trouble breaking them down? And why the hell wasn't Shaffelburg on the bench (again), to sub in late? Adding more speed with Gallardo and/or Shaffelburg late, would have stretched Montreal more & made the bunker harder.

I agree individual players were also poor, incl. Jozy, but Vanney didn't leave himself the flexibility to deal with that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Get ready for some Leagues Cup action
    Ugh...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Bright side : we get to go to a CPL club next season.

Dark side : losing to the Impact always suks
    If they keep the same format we should get Vancouver right?
    or do we get Cavalry?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pfk View Post
    couldn’t tell from where I was standing if it was a red card on Mavinga. Anyone else have a better vantage point?
    looked liked a definite red card from my seats in 126. He took down the impact player who was on a clear breakaway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    If they keep the same format we should get Vancouver right?
    or do we get Cavalry?
    They probably come up with a new bracket format

Since there are 13 teams (3 MLS, 1USL, 7CPL, 1 League1 1LigueQuebec), I could see them doing a full 16 team bracket with 3 byes (2 Finalists - TFC, Impact and the CPL champion likely Calvary). Especially with the performances of the CPL teams against the MLS/USL squads - all 3 had 1 tie and a one goal loss (except Calvary which won by one goal); it would add validity to the CPL and make them less 'minor league' by having them enter at the same stage as Vancouver and Ottawa. Could also add an extra 2 League1/Quebec teams - for League1 the League Champs (Oakville) and Playoff Champs (FC London or Masters Futbol) and same for Quebec - assuming Blainville doesn't win both) meaning there will be 15 with 1 bye (Montreal)
    Last edited by rydermike; 09-25-2019 at 10:01 PM.