Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Although I don't agree with it either, it seems like MLS is doing it on purpose so they can negotiate a much better TV deal when the contract runs out at end of 2022.
    Same reason the NHL expanded, your reasoning makes sense. The TV profits will be in SUM too, not the league, so the league can continue to "lose money" for tax purposes, giving these billionaires and corporations tax write-offs.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is fun. Here is how I would go... I would do Phoenix instead of Charlotte though.

Top two in each conference make playoffs:

Metroliner Division
    DC United
    New England Revs
    New York FC
    NY Red Bulls
    Philadelphia

Fried Green Tomatoes Division
    Atlanta
    Orlando
    Miami
    Nashville
    Cincinnati

Bratwurst and Beer Division
    Columbus
    SKC
    St. Louis
    Chicago
    Minnesota

Cowboy Division
    Colorado
    RSL
    Austin
    Dallas
    Houston

“We Hate Trump” Division
    Portland
    Seattle
    Vancouver
    Montreal
    Toronto

California Division
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    LAFC
    LA Galaxy
    [Phoenix]

(Toronto and Montreal are a problem in all these setups btw, nobody will want us in their division....)
    Last edited by ensco; 12-03-2019 at 03:28 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the "Canadian teams don't draw" idea is a little more muted in a league where attendance has little to do with which team is playing which.

When they go to 2 conferences with 2 divisions, we will be in the East.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two Conferences with two Divisions each only works in a 28-team league for a 34 game schedule. I'm imagining they're going to go two Conferences of either 3 or 4 divisions each, which is what most Americans are used to.
    Last edited by Initial B; 12-05-2019 at 07:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they stop at 30 teams, I see 3 divisions of 10. If they go to 32 teams, I see 4 divisions of 8.

In both instances they could play home/away games against their division and one game against the non-division teams for 38 games in total. 38 games would bring the MLS in line with many euro leagues (Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, Ligue1).

30 teams = 18 division games and 20 non-division games
    32 teams = 14 division games and 24 non-division games

But this calculation doesn't factor in length of playoffs which could add quite a few games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming MLS will always have playoffs I don't think they have time to play more than 34 regular season games, and I don't know how they would seed the playoffs with 3 conferences in a way that makes sense.

I'd expect a West and an East conference with each having 3 or 4 divisions depending on the total number of teams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Home opener schedule released - https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...n-kicks-feb-29

TFC opens at SJE Feb 29 with home opener March 7 - 5 pm vs NYCFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidvan View Post
    Home opener schedule released - https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...n-kicks-feb-29

TFC opens at SJE Feb 29 with home opener March 7 - 5 pm vs NYCFC
    I wish this game was in the afternoon where there was at least some sun (if it's out).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The early season schedule always has some surprises. You would think the warm climate/domed stadium teams would host the first couple of weeks games. And the early season cold weather matches would be hosted during the day rather than evening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auro got some Toronto and Canada tattoos. Guess he wants to be here for years
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B5s-Va2hcYc/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    If they stop at 30 teams, I see 3 divisions of 10. If they go to 32 teams, I see 4 divisions of 8.

In both instances they could play home/away games against their division and one game against the non-division teams for 38 games in total. 38 games would bring the MLS in line with many euro leagues (Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, Ligue1).

30 teams = 18 division games and 20 non-division games
    32 teams = 14 division games and 24 non-division games

But this calculation doesn't factor in length of playoffs which could add quite a few games.
    I think they'll go to 36 teams. Two conferences of 18 each. 34 game schedule, play each team in the conference twice, home-and-away. Playoffs within each conference, then MLS Cup is two conf. winners.

It would be elegant.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are going to 40 teams, with a game-ified version of pro/rel within the structure. Sort of like the Liguilla. Could be merged into the Liguilla, actually.

Just my 2 cents. I know nothing, but there are still 10 people in 10 cities willing to pay.

When the ducks are quacking, feed them corn.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    They are going to 40 teams, with a game-ified version of pro/rel within the structure. Sort of like the Liguilla. Could be merged into the Liguilla, actually.

Just my 2 cents. I know nothing, but there are still 10 people in 10 cities willing to pay.

When the ducks are quacking, feed them corn.
    The only liguilla I know is the Mexican 8 team playoffs. What do you mean?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am thinking something like this:

40 teams with some sort of apertura/clausura and liguilla system by conference. Two qualifiers from each conference in each liguilla. At the end of the season is the grand tourney with the 8 teams that emerge from the liguillas.

I think they want and will have a super liguilla with top Mexican teams too. But somebody needs to change their calendar to do that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the BOG was yesterday and as per usual - the Athletic got some info

https://theathletic.com/1437666/2019....co/U1YVI9NEou

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am thinking something like this:

40 teams with some sort of apertura/clausura and liguilla system by conference. Two qualifiers from each conference in each liguilla. At the end of the season is the grand tourney with the 8 teams that emerge from the liguillas.

I think they want and will have a super liguilla with top Mexican teams too. But somebody needs to change their calendar to do that.
    I really do not want anything at all like the Mexican system. Split seasons are terrible. I really hope they do not do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So the BOG was yesterday and as per usual - the Athletic got some info

https://theathletic.com/1437666/2019....co/U1YVI9NEou
    They have to work on the "stadium issue" first? Like they don't have an adequate baseball diamond to play on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to note that a guy les Impacts fired as their coach is managing in the Champions League today against the defending champions with at least a chance to go on to the next round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some preseason stuff

The @LAGalaxy
    will play 2 preseason games at Dignity Health Sports Park as part of @MLS
    doubleheaders. On Sat. Feb. 8 the Galaxy will play Toronto FC
    at 3 p.m.; Chicago-Colorado meet at noon. On Sat. Feb. 22 the Galaxy will play Chicago at 3 p.m. Toronto-Colorado meet at noon

https://twitter.com/kbaxter11/status...82960836517890

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Major League Soccer on Tuesday made it official that Charlotte will be the home of the league's 30th and likely last franchise.
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-le...d-$325-million

I wonder if the MLS stops at 30. The franchise fees keep rising but they are running out of cities.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benito View Post
    Major League Soccer on Tuesday made it official that Charlotte will be the home of the league's 30th and likely last franchise.
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/major-le...d-$325-million

I wonder if the MLS stops at 30. The franchise fees keep rising but they are running out of cities.
    That was a bit of a surprise, but maybe the owners (who call the shots) feel that any further expansion, at least in the near future, would be unwise. Long term viability and schedule concerns outweighs short-term expansion fees, and everyone remembers the original NASL. This is the first time Garber has made such a definitive statement, so I'd take it seriously.

I'm glad that after that last one we won't have to worry about losing a player to an expansion side.

So for a 30 team league, what would it look like? 2x in your own conference and 4 from the other conference? That would be awkward.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 12-18-2019 at 10:27 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    That was a bit of a surprise, but maybe the owners (who call the shots) feel that any further expansion, at least in the near future, would be unwise. Long term viability and schedule concerns outweighs short-term expansion fees, and everyone remembers the original NASL. This is the first time Garber has made such a definitive statement, so I'd take it seriously.

I'm glad that after that last one we won't have to worry about losing a player to an expansion side.

So for a 30 team league, what would it look like? 2x in your own conference and 4 from the other conference? That would be awkward.
    Yes, in terms of balancing the schedule 30 is a terrible number. You need 2x your conference, then 6 from somewhere else. So maybe 6 extra games against your closest conference rivals and they drop interconference play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Yes, in terms of balancing the schedule 30 is a terrible number. You need 2x your conference, then 6 from somewhere else. So maybe 6 extra games against your closest conference rivals and they drop interconference play.
    I tried to figure out a way to make 30 work, but can’t. The only way for me for this to work is if they go into 6 divisions of 5 teams. 34 game schedule stays. Play everyone in the league once, play your own division twice. Keeps it as balanced as it gets.

North: Toronto, Montreal, New England, NYCFC, Red Bulls

South: Austin, Dallas, Houston, Nashville, Charlotte

Southeast: DC United, Philadelphia, Miami, Orlando, Atlanta

Central: St. Louis, Cincinnati, Columbus, Chicago, Minnesota

Northwest: Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, San Jose

Southwest: LAFC, LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Colorado, Kansas City

Top 2 in each division go to the playoffs, plus the next best 4 teams. I’m guessing they will make it like hockey and basketball, where 16 teams make the playoffs (absolute garbage). Keeps playoffs the same length, and it keeps 95% of the rival teams in the same division.

Thoughts?

Edit: Just realized its only 33 games. It’s gotta be 5 divisions of 6 teams. But you get my drift. 3 divisions of 10 teams works as well if the league goes up to 38 game schedule. Keeps it in line with most other leagues in the world, gives each team 2 more home games to get revenue from, and will make the tv deal better as well with more games. They have enough time throughout the year, and enough warm temperature cities during the winter to do this.
    Last edited by TFC1154ever; 12-18-2019 at 03:23 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They definitively said they would stop at 24.

i.e. I don't trust the "stopping at 30" talk at all.

The number will be pushed to 32 in the next 5 years.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 12-18-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I modified your divisions based on the discussions going on at Big Soccer:
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    EASTERN CONFERENCE
    Metropolitan: DC United, Philadelphia, New England, NYCFC, Red Bulls
    North: Toronto, Montreal, Cincinnati, Columbus, Chicago
    Southeast: Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte

WESTERN CONFERENCE
    Northwest: Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, San Jose
    Central: Real Salt Lake, Colorado, St. Louis, Kansas City, Minnesota
    South: LAFC, LA Galaxy, Austin, Dallas, Houston
    I think what they'll do is play one game against two of three opposite-conference divisions per season on a rotating basis (a la NFL), one game per season against in-conference divisions, and the remaining games in-division for a 34 game season (yes, the in-division games will be uneven). Such an alignment would allow the league to eventually expand to 36 teams without requiring a revision to the format. It was telling that in the Charlotte unveiling speech that Garber mentioned specifically 5 rival clubs and called them the Southeast: DCU, Nashville, Atlanta, Orlando, and Miami. If the end game is 36 clubs, this alignment gives them the time to add teams at their leisure without requiring radical realignments in rivalries or geographical locations.
    Last edited by Initial B; 12-19-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    They definitively said they would stop at 24.

i.e. I don't trust the "stopping at 30" talk at all.

The number will be pushed to 32 in the next 5 years.
    I'm increasingly worried that expansion is more about collecting the fees than growing the league. I mean Charlotte? The league's domestic talent pool is also sufficiently diluted at this point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I'm increasingly convinced that expansion is only about collecting the fees and the rest is just lip service about growing the league.
    Fixed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I hope it doesn't get to a point a la NHL, where we are playing rivals 6-7 times a season.
    I prefer to play a team twice (home/away) and call it a day.

Also - Dividing the league into 2 separate conference is worrisome. I hate not playing other teams in the opposite conference a la MLB style - unless the ultimate goal is to to eventually get to a 2 tier system - so a fake relegation type scenario. So the "Top div" plays for MLS Cup and the "2nd Div" plays for... I dunno "Supporters Cup"

That I wouldn't be oppose to.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I'm increasingly worried that expansion is more about collecting the fees than growing the league. I mean Charlotte? The league's domestic talent pool is also sufficiently diluted at this point.
    Imagine how competitive and normal an 18 team league would be with a 34 game season, everyone playing each other twice. It's very simple.

Unless there is promotion / relegation with 2 leagues of 16 or 18 teams... It's quite embarrassing what they are doing to the league

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fixed.
    Totally agree! It's worriesome tbh.