Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If i was Bradley,I would offer my teammates a peace of that 6.5 millions,just to make sure they put some extra effort on the pitch.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The players already get a $275k USD bonus for winning the cup, shared as they decide. Generally players tend to divide it equally. To a DP that's pocket change, but for Laryea it's like a 20% bonus. Obviously Bradley's "bonus" would be much higher, lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The players already get a $275k USD bonus for winning the cup, shared as they decide. Generally players tend to divide it equally. To a DP that's pocket change, but for Laryea it's like a 20% bonus. Obviously Bradley's "bonus" would be much higher, lol.
    Only 275k to spread across the whole team?

Yikes, that's nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Only 275k to spread across the whole team?

Yikes, that's nothing.

I believe it is each, not across the team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    I believe it is each, not across the team
    That would make more sense.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    That actually is pretty funny.

Allez Caillou Allez!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Captain, My Captain. The General is here to stay !!! Can't not stop smiling knowing the leadership that he brings both on and off the field.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

brilliant piece of business by TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    brilliant piece of business by TFC.
    It's huge - it really sets up us being competitive right at the top (again) next season. Essentially a 4th DP for the next couple of seasons.

I love how he said he'd only take the TAM deal if they promised to sign another DP.

Let the speculation begin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    It's huge - it really sets up us being competitive right at the top (again) next season. Essentially a 4th DP for the next couple of seasons.

I love how he said he'd only take the TAM deal if they promised to sign another DP.

Let the speculation begin.
    Do we think he has any say in who it is?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Do we think he has any say in who it is?
    No. Nor should he.

I think we should be careful not to over digest this “he took a huge pay cut to stay” narrative. It is almost certainly not true, and it's not the whole story.

We need to see what he got to be sure, but I would say Bradley's market value (ie what he would have gotten from Chicago or something) is around $1.5M. I doubt he got much of a discount to that.

Glad it got done, don’t get me wrong. Really glad he just wants to stay, and not test the waters (although we don’t really know that he didn’t).

His staying here is as much about the US not qualifying for the 2018 World Cup, and the irrational shit the fan base there put on Bradley because of that. But for that, he'd probably be the new face of Nashville or something.

I feel like the Gio and Kawhi sagas have caused everyone (starting with the suits at MLSE) to pump this into a different fact pattern than it actually is. I love Toronto as much as anyone, I am sure Michael has an excellent situation for his family here, but I am under no illusions about how these decisions work for elite athletes.

The thing to assume is that we paid him market, which he richly deserved.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-14-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    No. Nor should he.

I think we should be careful not to over digest this “he took a huge pay cut to stay” narrative. It is almost certainly not true, and it's not the whole story.

We need to see what he got to be sure, but I would say Bradley's market value (ie what he would have gotten from Chicago or something) is around $1.5M. I doubt he got much of a discount to that.

Glad it got done, don’t get me wrong. Really glad he just wants to stay, and not test the waters (although we don’t really know that he didn’t).

His staying here is as much about the US not qualifying for the 2018 World Cup, and the irrational shit the fan base there put on Bradley because of that. But for that, he'd probably be the new face of Nashville or something.

I feel like the Gio and Kawhi sagas have caused everyone (starting with the suits at MLSE) to pump this into a different fact pattern than it actually is. I love Toronto as much as anyone, I am sure Michael has an excellent situation for his family here, but I am under no illusions about how these decisions work for elite athletes.

Actually, Bradley explicitly says that, at times like these, it's important to asses your options and reflect on your situation, as a whole, before committing… so, you're right about that. To be fair, it only makes it that bit sweeter, his decision, as opposed to him not seriously considering whatever else is out there, for him.

As they said, I'm sure there are one or two places he might have gotten more than he done, in the end, so it's fair for them to underline that he took "less" to stay. I agree that he's likely closer, now, to market value for his services, but I think the whole thing has been somewhat sensationalized in the media (MLS site, and locally) because it's a refreshing departure from the cases you mentioned. There's something to be said for how respectable he's carried himself, throughout the process, and, whilst it probably should be the norm, the current climate dictates it's worth celebrating, to some extent, at least (like the first rain, following a drought; hyperbole, but you get the idea: important to appreciate the little things, from time to time).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely agree unless there was a 2-3M DP out there did he really take a pay cut to stay here considering the TAM ceiling. If you did want to truly go on an adventure there is always the China/Middle East money but that is a choice someone has to make for them an there family. So we have Michael and his family living and playing here while Seba's family lives here and he plays in Saudi Arabia. It is all about choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    No. Nor should he.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Completely agree unless there was a 2-3M DP out there did he really take a pay cut to stay here considering the TAM ceiling. If you did want to truly go on an adventure there is always the China/Middle East money but that is a choice someone has to make for them an there family. So we have Michael and his family living and playing here while Seba's family lives here and he plays in Saudi Arabia. It is all about choices.
    IMO he could have easily taken a 2 year DP deal from a number of teams. Likely not $6Mill a season though. It's not the money....its the way he did it. I'll stay here as a TAM player only if you sign a DP. So it wasn't so much chasing Toronto for the sheer love of it...it was chosing winning.
    "
    That tells me he wants to win more than anything. I wouldn't have stayed without that promise....if TFC were just going to coast...then I'll go and make $3Million a year for the next 2 years at some middling team....kind of thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great analysis and debate lads.

I'm really happy he is staying and that we have so much flexibility going forward. it will be interesting to see who this next DP is as there is so much chatter out there. Manning said they were looking at an early 30's player from the top 4..... a good or great one?!?! not sure.

going to be a great silly season. COME ON JANUARY!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley was vastly overpaid at 6.5 mil the last few years, again at 1.5 hes stealing money sad management at TFC

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NOMOTFCBSFROMFO View Post
    Bradley was vastly overpaid at 6.5 mil the last few years, again at 1.5 hes stealing money sad management at TFC
    Could not disagree with you more. He's key to our team in so many ways.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley is worth $1.5M. Sure there are many other good midfielders making less, but younger guys don’t have his rights, they would cost you this and more once you assign a value to the trade assets you'd lose (if you could get them).

He is still one of the top ~50 players in MLS.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Could not disagree with you more. He's key to our team in so many ways.
    Bradleys very easy to like as a person. Is great for the organisation when it comes to public relations, super in the locker room, but really I shake my head at what he does on the field more times then not! Was a fantastic player years ago, not now or ever again. This signing is just to appease the fan base, we will see soon enough that this is another Manning F up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NOMOTFCBSFROMFO View Post
    Depends what value you place on 3 finals appearances, an MLS Cup and a Supporters Shield etc. Some people will never be convinced of the value of those things. TFC got a pretty good return on their investment I would say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not worried about 1.5m per as much as I'm worried about him getting a 3 year deal. Bradley has definitely been regressing and I worry about where he'll be in that third year.

He's worth 2-3m a year realistically, so we do have a bargain at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he had that one game where he was at fault but apart from that in the play off run I thought he was immense. Never underestimate how much a player like him brings to the team in terms of influence etc without even taking into account his ability. A great player and leader. I'm glad he is staying

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I'm not worried about 1.5m per as much as I'm worried about him getting a 3 year deal. Bradley has definitely been regressing and I worry about where he'll be in that third year.

He's worth 2-3m a year realistically, so we do have a bargain at the moment.
    Micheal Bradley's regression was a byproduct of the things happening around him on the pitch. - Injuries and turnover had him shoulder a huge amount of responsibility.

Once the dust settled in the second half of the season, he stepped back up and was excellent.

I wouldn't worry about a 3 year deal - the ideal solution is that by his third year, Liam Fraser should be legitimately challenging him for that position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Micheal Bradley's regression was a byproduct of the things happening around him on the pitch. - Injuries and turnover had him shoulder a huge amount of responsibility.

Once the dust settled in the second half of the season, he stepped back up and was excellent.

I wouldn't worry about a 3 year deal - the ideal solution is that by his third year, Liam Fraser should be legitimately challenging him for that position.
    Michael's physical regression is a byproduct of aging. His actual technical ability I have no idea.

During 2014, 2015 and the CCL run he was at another level. Maybe I'm wrong but he's lost little aspects of his game like his ability to pick out crazy passes.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Michael's physical regression is a byproduct of aging. His actual technical ability I have no idea.

During 2014, 2015 and the CCL run he was at another level. Maybe I'm wrong but he's lost little aspects of his game like his ability to pick out crazy passes.
    obviously age plays a factor, but it wasn't a concern last season and it won't be a concern this season. next season and the season after that it won't be a concern as long as our CB remain healthy and Liam Fraser can step up towards the end of the 3 year deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    obviously age plays a factor, but it wasn't a concern last season and it won't be a concern this season. next season and the season after that it won't be a concern as long as our CB remain healthy and Liam Fraser can step up towards the end of the 3 year deal.
    Do we really think Liam Fraser is going to contently warm the bench for the next three seasons in the hope that at the end of it all he *might* be able to fill those shoes? He can play at this level and play well. We've all seen it, which is why it's a topic discussion. I'm sure he's noticed it as well.

Maybe this belongs in the off-season thread but it flows well with this conversation: A lot of the young guys at the club might be better off leaving. We are hardly a club that promotes from within.
    Last edited by portu; 12-20-2019 at 05:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we really think Liam Fraser is going to contently warm the bench for the next three seasons in the hope that at the end of it all he *might* be able to fill those shoes? He can play at this level and play well. We've all seen it, which is why it's a topic discussion. I'm sure he's noticed it as well.

Maybe this belongs in the off-season thread but it flows well with this conversation: A lot of the young guys at the club might be better off leaving. We are hardly a club that promotes from within.
    I won’t blame any of them for feeling the need to leave to prove themselves. If Fraser has to force his way out to get playing time, he has every right to do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly, and the answer is no. He's already said as much himself back in October:

“I’m in such a kind of unique situation having Michael there and feeling like I deserve more playing time than I’ve been getting this year. Again that decision is up to the coach and I respect the coach’s decision. But I think it is something I’ve been wanting to prove for these last two years that I have that ability to start for an MLS team and play a consistent season at peak performances.

“I know I have the ability to do that ... I know I have so much more to give.”

Asked if he may have to go elsewhere to get his playing time, he pauses.

“I think (the goal is) just making sure I just become the best footballer that I can be, because I know I can take it to another level. Obviously that comes with big game time and playing time. But I have that ability. So if it’s Toronto, if it’s somewhere else, I’d love for it to be Toronto. But if it’s somewhere else that’ll allow me to become the best footballer and keep learning and allow me to push boundaries ... then wherever it takes me."

“But for now, I’m just focused on the (next) game and the playoffs.”
    And a story in November says we're probably looking at a loan for him:

Toronto-born midfielder Liam Fraser could be squeezed out. The 21-year-old Fraser impressed in nine games, regular season and playoffs, but is behind captain Michael Bradley on the depth chart. With Bradley likely to re-sign in the coming weeks and coach Greg Vanney’s preference for a formation with just one deep midfielder, the opportunities could be limited for Fraser again next year. Vanney and Fraser have talked about a possible loan.

The midfielder made strides this year, but the coach wants to see him play a full season in a competitive environment and learn how to run his position tactically.

“He’s a young player that we want here, but the question is also about his path to becoming the best player he can be, and I think we have to respect both of those things,” Vanney said.
    If we do loan him it better be to a good situation, at a decent level where he really is a starter. No Jordan Hamilton shipped off to the Portuguese 2nd division garbage.

3 seasons from now Fraser is going to be 25. I don't know how many young professionals' dreams it is to finally break through as a starter at 25. Besides, it's not like he'll be a much better player 3 years from now if he's playing under 10 games a season like he just did.

I can stomach a loan for this season but after that if we don't start weaning Bradley's minutes and really integrating Fraser, or playing them together, that is mismanagement that will be really hard for me to accept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fraser played 9 games this season?! I actually had to check that stat. Jesus.

"The coach wants to see him play a full season in a competitive environment"

Honest to God I don't know how any of these kids are comfortable vesting their pro futures at this club, especially at DP positions. That's like an entry level job requiring applicants to have 3 years entry level experience.