Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why, but this signing has really made me happy for a number of reasons. Obviously because he's going to make the team better, but also because he just seems like a really nice guy who's had some shit luck the last few years and our amazing city is going to give him the chance to be happy again.

Like another example of the city spreading its arms to take in wayward souls.

(Sorry for the melodrama; I've been feeling super homesick lately so I guess I'm just projecting. But still ... happy!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shway View Post
    I strongly disagree. What happens in football in Europe is comparable to what happens here with players in the NFL, NBA, & NHL. In North American sports media, reporters have access to players in the change rooms, on field right after a game, halftime interviews you name it.... and sometimes they are condescending, or ask dumb questions to a player that just lost a game badly and probably doesn't want to hear certain questions/comments. Soccer isn't a "popular" sport, so the media presence isn't as large as the other major leagues and the few are politically correct when it comes to soccer. If they're not, they'll be blackballed from interviews and press conferences.

I'll run with the people and city culture reason. But the media thing is only because soccer is on the come up.
    but the media have an actual rapport with the players in NA sports. Yes, their's in locker-room interviews, yes they do more do have more access, but it's respectuful. In Europe the goal is to basically scandalize the sport. Read the British tabloids. Read La Marca or Sport from Spain. Read the Italian papers. It's toxic, instrusive, sensationalized and negative.

That's not what the media culture here is at all. Not in any sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    but the media have an actual rapport with the players in NA sports. Yes, their's in locker-room interviews, yes they do more do have more access, but it's respectuful. In Europe the goal is to basically scandalize the sport. Read the British tabloids. Read La Marca or Sport from Spain. Read the Italian papers. It's toxic, instrusive, sensationalized and negative.

why would you read them for. There are so many excellent journalists and outlets covering football in the UK. You read crap like that, you get the toxic crap they spout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Simmons says Hi and would you like a hot dog or muskoka cottage

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then there are the people having a meltdown over people having a meltdown over VDW wearing #9.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Then there are the people having a meltdown over people having a meltdown over VDW wearing #9.
    I guess he's a "false nine."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I don't know why, but this signing has really made me happy for a number of reasons. Obviously because he's going to make the team better, but also because he just seems like a really nice guy who's had some shit luck the last few years and our amazing city is going to give him the chance to be happy again.

Like another example of the city spreading its arms to take in wayward souls.

(Sorry for the melodrama; I've been feeling super homesick lately so I guess I'm just projecting. But still ... happy!)
    In the same boat, Bruder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    He's been influenced by drake... "Turn the 6 upside down, it's a 9 now"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's been influenced by drake... "Turn the 6 upside down, it's a 9 now"
    This guy… this is the guy. =D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why I laugh out loud when I hear the hockey people cry about the Leafs players facing so much pressure from the media. They just don't know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Tons of MLS guys have been in the WC tournament.

TFC: vdW, Frings, Bradley and Altidore of course, and I think Edu, Guevara and maybe Boyens are the other TFC guys on that list.

Seba played in Euro 2012.

EDIT: + Julio Cesar!
    For some reason I just remembered that Edson Buddle made the pitch at WC 2010. So he is another one.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want to mention something that I think we should all remember as the season goes on:

He's about to have his first kid. As those of you with kids know, the first 8 - 12 months, you basically never fully sleep through the night. Especially in the first 4 - 6 months, you're up maybe 2 - 3 times per night tending to the baby, feeding it, maybe changing diapers etc. It's incredibly gruelling and taxing on your body and your mind (I have almost no memories from the first 8 months of my son's existence because my sleep was so messed up – my memories basically didn't form properly to stick around).

So, if he's going to be a hands-on father, we have to realize that all this lack-of-proper-sleep is highly likely to affect his play. Remember how Seba slumped a little bit for a while and people were questioning him, etc.? Well, it happened just after he had his second kid. I have no doubt that he wasn't sleeping properly and it was affecting his game. We have to know this could happen with vdW.

Now, of course it's possible that they'll have a nanny or a helper or something who will help Rose with the baby at night so he can sleep, but he seems like the type of guy who would want to get fully involved. If so, we're going to have to cut him some slack about it (unless he totally bombs out to the point where he's a liability, but I don't think it would get that bad).
    Last edited by James17930; 02-13-2018 at 10:00 AM.

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want to mention something that I think we should all remember as the season goes on:

He's about to have his first kid. As those of you with kids know, the first 8 - 12 months, you basically never fully sleep through the night. Especially in the first 4 - 6 months, you're up maybe 2 - 3 times per night tending to the baby, feeding it, maybe changing diapers etc. It's incredibly gruelling and taxing on your body and your mind (I basically have no memories from the first 8 months of my son's existence because my sleep was so messed up – my memories basically didn't form properly to stick around).

So, if he's going to be a hands-on father, we have to realize that all this lack-of-proper-sleep is highly likely to affect his play. Remember how Seba slumped a little bit for a while and people were questioning him, etc.? Well, it happened just after he had his second kid. I have no doubt that he wasn't sleeping properly and it was affecting his game. We have to know this could happen with vdW.

Now, of course it's possible that they'll have a nanny or a helper or something who will help Rose with the baby at night so he can sleep, but he seems like the type of guy who would want to get fully involved. If so, we're going to have to cut him some slack about it (unless he totally bombs out to the point where he's a liability, but I don't think it would get that bad).
    I love this! It is the most unexpected football analysis I have yet read on the boards! Much better than the usual technical mumbo-jumbo that completely goes over my head!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
    I love this! It is the most unexpected football analysis I have yet read on the boards! Much better than the usual technical mumbo-jumbo that completely goes over my head!
    Blame our internet-soaked lives, but I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not ...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noticed that he shared he was back in Toronto, which I thought weird at first but I imagine it has to due with his wife. She must be due any day now.

RPB Member
    Banners Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blame our internet-soaked lives, but I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not ...?
    No sarcasm--- a genuine post I like and understood!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Noticed that he shared he was back in Toronto, which I thought weird at first but I imagine it has to due with his wife. She must be due any day now.
    Yes and a journalist mentioned that they also need to finalize living arrangements in Toronto. Another good thing to do before the baby arrives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm impressed with how fit he has kept, but he seems the type

wonder why he got a hard time for his modeling.

I don't see Ronaldo's other ventures holding him back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post

I don't see Ronaldo's other ventures holding him back
    Too big to fail. Messi too. Both have committed literal crimes and have gotten off because of who they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too big to fail. Messi too. Both have committed literal crimes and have gotten off because of who they are.
    Tax evasion....really? That's a petty crime that we all do. Next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tax evasion....really? That's a petty crime that we all do. Next.
    Tax fraud. It's different. I've gone years without paying taxes (which I then payed in back-taxes) because of the field of work I'm in. I've never hidden millions of dollars of income in offshore tax havens to defraud the state. That's a significantly more sinister crime. If everyone did that we'd all be living in a Banana republic.

He also payed multiple million dollar fines so him and his father could avoid their jail sentences. Not something the average citizen could pull off. Almost the definition of too big to fail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually think she's due next week, which made me think all along that he wouldn't be playing in the Colorado game. I would be surprised if he did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't stress too much about the whole kid thing. Off the top of my head Moor, Mavinga, Vazquez, Seba, Bradley all had kids right before or after signing here. IIRC Moor even played the day after the birth of his son and brought him out on the pitch for the anthems.

From everything I've heard it sounds like the club is very accommodating to players personal lives - one of the significant changes brought in under this regime after whispers turned into yells about previous management being the polar opposite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ronaldo was convicted? (i havent followed it)

but back to off field ventures, they havent hurt their careers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Ronaldo was convicted? (i havent followed it)

No, but the details laid out in the Der Speigel piece are damning in and of themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few players seem to have arrived back in Toronto prior to the rest of team.

Mavinga appears to have come back with VDW.
    Akinola and Fraser came back early after leaving Mexico for the MLS rookie orientation in Arizona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    A few players seem to have arrived back in Toronto prior to the rest of team.

Mavinga appears to have come back with VDW.
    Akinola and Fraser came back early after leaving Mexico for the MLS rookie orientation in Arizona
    It's funny you mention that, saw them both at the Eaton Centre a few hours ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Tons of MLS guys have been in the WC tournament.

TFC: vdW, Frings, Bradley and Altidore of course, and I think Edu, Guevara and maybe Boyens are the other TFC guys on that list.

Seba played in Euro 2012.

EDIT: + Julio Cesar!
    Ryan Nelsen. Undefeated Captain of New Zealand. Aren’t many players in the world who have and undefeated World Cup legacy but NZ will have 15 or so. Not even Gregory can say that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Ryan Nelsen. Undefeated Captain of New Zealand. Aren’t many players in the world who have and undefeated World Cup legacy but NZ will have 15 or so. Not even Gregory can say that!
    I'd like to think an extra time loss counts as a draw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is Gregory on the CCL roster? i guess he stayed in TO since his wife is due at any moment