Page 142 of 174 FirstFirst ... 4292132138139140141142143144145146152 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,260 of 5193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    the most he is allowed to make with us is 660K (per the recent CBA), so no, we haven't, and we'll be paying less to gks by about 120K than we were last year.

good to see your well thought out and well informed posts back on the forum tho!
    That sounds pretty reasonable to me. Didn’t realize he was 33 turning 34? Wow, guy is an ageless wonder.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-28-2023 at 03:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sean Johnson great signing. Only three pieces away now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    If you think he left New York to come toToronto for an extra 100,000 as his salary last year was 550,000 , then good luck to you old chap. I will be sure to remind you of what he really makes in the coming months when salaries are released.

you're right, i just re-read the CBA and we can actually only offer a 15% increase, so would be less than that 110K. the 20% increase is only allowed starting in the 2026 season.

the only way it could be more is if the league consults with the union and determines he has significantly over performed his prior contract, allowing for a higher base level.

however his earnings were top 5/6 in the league, so doubt that would be applicable here, but you never know.

i'm sure they offered other stuff off the books as MLSE has a tendency to do, but in terms of compensation the most we could offer him next year by the league's rules is 630K, and 660K the year after.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Do keep us all informed on how we overpaid for one of the best GKs in MLS.
    not to mention the most we can pay him next season via the league's own CBA is 630K, unless he applied for and received this:

Section 29.8 Outperformance Mechanism: The League will consult with the Union overwhether an out-of-contract player has significantly and materially outperformed his expiredcontract. In the event the League determines that a player (i) is out of contract; and (ii) significantlyand materially outperformed the expired contract, the League shall, after consultation with theUnion, enter the player in Free Agency at an amount greater than the percentage at which he isotherwise designated to enter Free Agency (i.e., 115%, 120% or 125%). For purposes ofdetermining whether a player has “significantly and materially outperformed” his contract, thefollowing factors which bear upon the player’s MLS value may be consideredi) Whether the Player earned Team or League awards he had not previously earned duringhis contract/career (e.g. Player became All-League in the final year of his contract butwas not All-League previously during his contract/career);(ii) Significant increase in objective performance metrics (goals scored, etc.) during hiscontract;(iii) Significant increase in appearances for Player’s national team during his contract;(iv) The length of time the Player has performed at a significantly and materially higher levelthan that accounted for in his current contract; and(v) Reasonable expected future performance.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's hilarious how the moment things go well (and yes, it IS pre-season), the only things one chooses to complain about are how "we spent too much". What used to be a charitable definition of skepticism gives way to both what is uninteresting and, quite frankly, a little sad. It's just eternal pessimism to protect oneself from the lows of fandom.

Bruh, we still spent more on Bono and Westberg last year. I literally couldn't care less if SJ was below league average, there is nothing worse than seeing Bono bottle at LEAST double-digit points within that last stretch of games with LI/FB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent “too much” on my cable and phone bills for years with Rogers so I don’t even care if MLSE spent too much on a few players,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good to see your well thought out and well informed posts back on the forum tho!
    Lol.... If it's not the lack of signing, the complaint now is that we overpaid. Best part is, no salary details were released.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Lol.... If it's not the lack of signing, the complaint now is that we overpaid. Best part is, no salary details were released.
    Seeing as gk probably the most important position in MLS, unless you're going over 1 mill doubt you're overpaying.

SJ is a multi year allstar and proven big game player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing as gk probably the most important position in MLS, unless you're going over 1 mill doubt you're overpaying.

SJ is a multi year allstar and proven big game player.
    Totally agree. There are some here that are beyond negative. If TFC were to sign Buffon in his prime, they would still find something to complain about.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Totally agree. There are some here that are beyond negative. If TFC were to sign Buffon in his prime, they would still find something to complain about.

We've literally just signed a gk who.dragged his team to mls cup in 2021 as finals mvp and stood on his head to knock out the impact (3 outrageous saves) in last year playoffs and some people complaining about....potential overpay despite being against the mls CBA ������

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SJ starting for the USMNT tonight - he won't get many starts as he's probably #2 on the depth chart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am genuinely pleased and a little surprised about Johnson. I just though a US team would bid what we did for him and he would choose some southern US city for taxes or proximity to home or as part of setting up a broadcasting career, or whatever.

BB rolled the bones and won. It is a huge relief. I did not want to see what Plan B was here, suspect it wasn’t great.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

transitioning from bono and mavinga to hedges and johnson adds a ton of leadership and personality to the dressing room.

both captains of previous teams and vocal leaders, incredibly underrated qualities.

we've basically got leaders in all part of the field now (sj, hedges, mb, oso, insigne, berna has taken some leadership responsibilities).

we need depth (legs) badly at midfield and depending on outgoings maybe a couple more, but the team is looking incredibly good, in terms of filling holes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am genuinely pleased and a little surprised about Johnson. I just though a US team would bid what we did for him and he would choose some southern US city for taxes or proximity to home or as part of setting up a broadcasting career, or whatever.

BB rolled the bones and won. It is a huge relief. I did not want to see what Plan B was here, suspect it wasn’t great.
    i'd imagine that the backup option wouldnt have been here at the beginning of the year and we would have had romero for the first few games, which wouldnt be great.

however im thrilled we managed to land SJ.

it speaks volumes that aprt from the other MLS teams trying to land him (only nycfc and tfc were listed as options but others tried), we also beat anderlecht and az alkmaar to him, both teams that are basically better than any team in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok everyone, let's all say it together: "Please God/Allah/Buddah/Spaghetti Monster who Probably Doesn't Exist, Allow Our GK Sean Johnson to have an easy shutout tonight with no possible risk of injury or even mild challenge to his confidence."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Ok everyone, let's all say it together: "Please God/Allah/Buddah/Spaghetti Monster who Probably Doesn't Exist, Allow Our GK Sean Johnson to have an easy shutout tonight with no possible risk of injury or even mild challenge to his confidence."
    So far so good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have my colander on now and my prayers to the Divine Spaghetti Monster seem to be working.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

clean sheet from our boy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sean Johnson the GOAT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I have my colander on now and my prayers to the Divine Spaghetti Monster seem to be working.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am genuinely pleased and a little surprised about Johnson. I just though a US team would bid what we did for him and he would choose some southern US city for taxes or proximity to home or as part of setting up a broadcasting career, or whatever. BB rolled the bones and won. It is a huge relief. I did not want to see what Plan B was here, suspect it wasn’t great.

I am not so convinced SJ would have transferred overseas. That for all the social media chatter it was ever really in the cards. I suspect any engagement and offers from the likes of AZ Alkmaar and RSC Anderlecht were agent/player stalking horse feints. IIUC... SJ is an East-Coaster with Georgia origins nee Jamaica; though in adolescence spent time in California and Florida. I believe his calculus always involved consideration for his long-time partner; well done, lucky son-of-a-gun! She is an East-Coaster as well, with Washington DC origins, and has her own career based in NYC. Agree, he likely considered other MLS Clubs since country coverage by airline
    red-eye flights in America are abundant. However, not many established couples are committed enough to be disciples of the Fuchs' School Of Family Life-Relationship Management. Proximity and ease of NYC to Toronto, or vice versa, door to door with Nexus is likely a 3 to 4 hour turnaround; more manageable? Possibly one contributing key factor of the several considered in his decision to play for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post

I am not so convinced SJ would have transferred overseas. That for all the social media chatter it was ever really in the cards. I suspect any engagement and offers from the likes of AZ Alkmaar and RSC Anderlecht were agent/player stalking horse feints. IIUC... SJ is an East-Coaster with Georgia origins nee Jamaica; though in adolescence spent time in California and Florida. I believe his calculus always involved consideration for his long-time partner; well done, lucky son-of-a-gun! She is an East-Coaster as well, with Washington DC origins, and has her own career based in NYC. Agree, he likely considered other MLS Clubs since country coverage by airline
    red-eye flights in America are abundant. However, not many established couples are committed enough to be disciples of the Fuchs' School Of Family Life-Relationship Management. Proximity and ease of NYC to Toronto, or vice versa, door to door with Nexus is likely a 3 to 4 hour turnaround; more manageable? Possibly one contributing key factor of the several considered in his decision to play for TFC.
    Wives having careers have to factor. I don't think I'd be living in Edmonton if my wife's career wasn't here. Lots to love about the city, but I'm not Albertan and there are plenty of things about this province generally that are infuriating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DP we need but won't be able to get:
    Canadian Stephen Eustaquio scores to help FC Porto win Portuguese League Cup
    https://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2023/01/28/canadian-stephen-eustaquio-scores-to-help-fc-porto-win-portuguese-league-cup.html

(Here's the goal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT52ULRyn5o)

Maybe they could throw Italian Stallions-ish money at him and make the decision hard, at least.

He's on $1.03 million per year right now apparently. Give him him $5M a season and he'd have a hard time saying no. Put him in this current lineup as the starter and have Bradley or Kaye come in late.

Titles galore.

Never happen though.
    Last edited by jloome; 01-29-2023 at 12:03 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eustaquio is going to go to somewhere higher up the European feed chain for an 8 figure sum transfer fee.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DP we need but won't be able to get:
    Canadian Stephen Eustaquio scores to help FC Porto win Portuguese League Cup
    https://www.thestar.com/sports/soccer/2023/01/28/canadian-stephen-eustaquio-scores-to-help-fc-porto-win-portuguese-league-cup.html

(Here's the goal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nT52ULRyn5o)

Maybe they could throw Italian Stallions-ish money at him and make the decision hard, at least.

He's on $1.03 million per year right now apparently. Give him him $5M a season and he'd have a hard time saying no. Put him in this current lineup as the starter and have Bradley or Kaye come in late.

Titles galore.

Never happen though.
    if we could get him in a couple years would be amazing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No free transfer there. Locked-in till mid '27. Yous wants, yous gonna pays. What is Mauro doing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No free transfer there. Locked-in till mid '27. Yous wants, yous gonna pays. What is Mauro doing?
    Dude... that's a little oblique for Sunday morning, okay? Which mauro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude... that's a little oblique for Sunday morning, okay? Which mauro.
    Yes, understand. An attempt at a half-hearted retort. Sunday is not always fun day. His brother. Just retired?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-29-2023 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, understand. His brother. Just retired? An attempt at a half-hearted retort.
    Ah. Didn't know he had one. I see he played in the CPL.

Thought maybe you meant Mauro Diaz, who Dallas traded to some Saudi club at his request in 2018.

EDIT: Sorry, Dubai.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah. Didn't know he had one. I see he played in the CPL. Thought maybe you meant Mauro Diaz, who Dallas traded to some Saudi club at his request in 2018.
    EDIT: Sorry, Dubai.
    I suspect there are a quite a few 'Mauros' we could cite together; some might even be of current interest for us/TFC?