Page 141 of 174 FirstFirst ... 4191131137138139140141142143144145151 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,230 of 5193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Second OT's thanks for this; great work. Agree with you about the difficulty of laying out all the various permutations over any ifs, ands, or buts. I would just have Diomande above Akinola. The reasoning being should Lolo or Fede sit out a match, JJ would be my/their go to replacement decision given his experience.
    I would bet pretty solidly that Diomande will be the starting striker (albeit maybe not in friendlies if he doesn't get his work visa soon), with JJ first off the bench. For one, it's tactically sound to keep the guy who can play all three front positions in reserve. For another, as a pure goal scorer, I think Diomande is valued more (probably correctly) by Bob than JJ.

JJ has huge skills but clearly not alot of confidence as a fox-in-the-box, because he's never done that before. He's always been coming in from wide, cutting in on his strong foot or beating the backline. He's used to hanging off a single defender's shoulder and meeting a through ball first-time with great accuracy to the lower corners.

Diomande is a traditional forward. He's strong, he can finish with both feet, he was very fast although I expect that's tempered somewhat. He can finish with his head and he knows how to create space in the box when it's crowded, as well as where he should be at the right moment. The service doesn't have to be tailored.

I actually expect he'll protect Insigne a little, particularly if we're doing well, and JJ plays that left wing forward position naturally. It's what he played most of the time in Spain and Poland. So he'll get time there, too. And if Diomande craps out or is looking poor, he has a different look he can immediately go to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I actually thought Thompson was better in the mid-field than as a right back. He is young and was sent to the wolves somewhat. Isn’t he naturally a forward by training…
    Yep. With TFC2 in 2021, he played RM and RW. Never played RB (that was Kobe Franklin's spot all of 21 and 22). I was surprised when Kobe wasn't signed, especially once JMR went down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I would bet pretty solidly that Diomande will be the starting striker (albeit maybe not in friendlies if he doesn't get his work visa soon), with JJ first off the bench. For one, it's tactically sound to keep the guy who can play all three front positions in reserve. For another, as a pure goal scorer, I think Diomande is valued more (probably correctly) by Bob than JJ.

JJ has huge skills but clearly not alot of confidence as a fox-in-the-box, because he's never done that before. He's always been coming in from wide, cutting in on his strong foot or beating the backline. He's used to hanging off a single defender's shoulder and meeting a through ball first-time with great accuracy to the lower corners.

Diomande is a traditional forward. He's strong, he can finish with both feet, he was very fast although I expect that's tempered somewhat. He can finish with his head and he knows how to create space in the box when it's crowded, as well as where he should be at the right moment. The service doesn't have to be tailored.

I actually expect he'll protect Insigne a little, particularly if we're doing well, and JJ plays that left wing forward position naturally. It's what he played most of the time in Spain and Poland. So he'll get time there, too. And if Diomande craps out or is looking poor, he has a different look he can immediately go to.
    Agree with this. The only reason I didn't list him as the starter was just because of his random playing history the past three years. No idea what form/health he is in. If he's still LAFC-Diomande, he'd be the ideal player for the middle of the front three. If he's not, then sub/occasional starter would be the role I guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could live with this roster to start the season so long as we got another starting CB. O'Neill is not an everyday starter. Once they get that CB, I'm okay waiting to see what happens during the season and making additional roster moves in June to shore up the weak spots (one of I expect to be MB4's wheels completely falling off so bad that it can't be ignored).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.transfermarkt.com/sean-j...ew/news/417230

veth article:

Since becoming a free agent on Jan. 1, 2023, Johnson was in high demand. The goalkeeper had offers not just from MLS clubs but also from abroad, where AZ Alkmaar and RSC Anderlecht were interested. Anderlecht, in fact, was in the race until the very end. But Maple Leaf Square Sports & Entertainment, the company that owns not just TFC but also the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL) and the Toronto Raptors (NBA) worked hard to secure the signing. Johnson was spotted earlier this month on the sidelines of a Toronto Raptors game.

damn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/sean-j...ew/news/417230

veth article:

Since becoming a free agent on Jan. 1, 2023, Johnson was in high demand. The goalkeeper had offers not just from MLS clubs but also from abroad, where AZ Alkmaar and RSC Anderlecht were interested. Anderlecht, in fact, was in the race until the very end. But Maple Leaf Square Sports & Entertainment, the company that owns not just TFC but also the Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL) and the Toronto Raptors (NBA) worked hard to secure the signing. Johnson was spotted earlier this month on the sidelines of a Toronto Raptors game.

damn.
    We have this, Vasquez coming back on the league minimum (Still not sure I believe that...), Pozuelo on Instagram seemingly saying he'd come back here on TAM all in the past few weeks alone

Can we please put to bed this weird inferiority complex about Canada some people here have and say the myth that we struggle to attract talent just doesn't hold up whatsoever to the evidence we're presented with?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey jloome. I am all tired out from trying to read/translate/understand Norwegian articles yesterday regarding Rosted, Brondby and Elfsborg. I seem to remember you previously mentioned the club had two new CB's incoming since their Captain and our guy were transferring to MLS. Do you remember their names? Were those transfers completed or pending? Maybe one conditional/cancelled if Rosted is indeed staying put? Could that prospect be of interest to TFC?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    We have this, Vasquez coming back on the league minimum (Still not sure I believe that...), Pozuelo on Instagram seemingly saying he'd come back here on TAM all in the past few weeks alone

Can we please put to bed this weird inferiority complex about Canada some people here have and say the myth that we struggle to attract talent just doesn't hold up whatsoever to the evidence we're presented with?
    yep, we've beat out some genuinely big clubs to get johnson, and with a limit of what we could offer too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 'not wanting to play in Canada' might be a thing, but more so for other sports, not soccer. I never gave it much thought for TFC (whereas for the Raptors, it has much more weight). Soccer is a sport where players will actively want to play in a different country (ie. mostly Europe) compared to say a basketball/baseball which is predominantly American-based, so a 'foreign country' isn't as crazy a proposition. Our issue in attraction is attracting a player to come to MLS in the first place (players are way more likely to say I don't want to go because it's MLS, not because it's Toronto). Even if some American players didn't want to come to Canada, there's one thing (as the Blue Jays have proven) that easily trumps that issue - winning. TFC spends to win, and as long as we do, we'll attract players. (If we were a crappy cheap team, then sure Hedges and SJ wouldn't come, but because they want to win, not because we're Canada).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    The 'not wanting to play in Canada' might be a thing, but more so for other sports, not soccer. I never gave it much thought for TFC (whereas for the Raptors, it has much more weight). Soccer is a sport where players will actively want to play in a different country (ie. mostly Europe) compared to say a basketball/baseball which is predominantly American-based, so a 'foreign country' isn't as crazy a proposition. Our issue in attraction is attracting a player to come to MLS in the first place (players are way more likely to say I don't want to go because it's MLS, not because it's Toronto). Even if some American players didn't want to come to Canada, there's one thing (as the Blue Jays have proven) that easily trumps that issue - winning. TFC spends to win, and as long as we do, we'll attract players. (If we were a crappy cheap team, then sure Hedges and SJ wouldn't come, but because they want to win, not because we're Canada).
    Not only that, but it always got magnified. People would focus on the 1 or 2 guys who said they didn't want to come rather than the dozens who did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have this... Pozuelo on Instagram seemingly saying he'd come back here on TAM...
    This developing Pozuelo situation is weird for me. I do not think he returns to TFC. Something went sideways. I suspect there are other 8's to 10's being considered; younger, with legs and also more defensive inclinations to their game. I believe there were expectations or indications he was exploring DP level payday options in MLS, in Europe- Belgium and Spain and in Saudi Arabia. I am really surprised he still is a free agent. Particularly no current rumours of serious kicks of his tires from other MLS clubs. I know there is scuttlebutt of some kind of non-football cloud following him from his TFC days. Obviously, if Miami signed him how bad could it be? Maybe his new relationship didn't work out? Does anyone know if his ex-wife and kids are still situated in Toronto or have they moved to Spain?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep, we've beat out some genuinely big clubs to get johnson, and with a limit of what we could offer too.
    Anderlecht we’re too late on this one, if they had been sooner they would’ve caused problems - but I’ll never argue against the fact that this club can attract talent and compete with European clubs were used to being “bigger”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really doubt we bring back Pozuelo. Even if any of the potential conspiracy reasons that have been speculated without much rationale were true (ie. reasons behind his exit, BB's feelings, etc) Just on a purely "imaginary garber bucks" financial level, even if we were to label Bradley as a DP (since he's on max TAM), between Osorio, Hedges, Laryea, Johnson, Petretta, Jimenez, Kaye, we probably can't have much, if any, TAM left to even give him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.reddit.com/r/tfc/comment...nsons_message/

He certainly seems to be saying he'd come back on a TAM deal here. But, I don't think there's any chance of us signing him with Bob here, it's clear that was an issue
    I'd be shocked if he wasn't joking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pozuelo coming back ain't happening. I swear most people on #TFCLive haven't seen a game of soccer outside of TFC since the majority only suggest players who used to play for Toronto FC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not sure how much there is to this, but some bronby fans discussing rosted and suggesting he's only still there because he's awaiting his work visa for canada.

https://twitter.com/Sklander89/statu...51839789252613

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not sure how much there is to this, but some bronby fans discussing rosted and suggesting he's only still there because he's awaiting his work visa for canada.

Possible. I don't think under FIFA regs you can acquire a transfer certificate until they have work permission.

As such, he'd still technically be contracted to and insured by Brondby.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Possible. I don't think under FIFA regs you can acquire a transfer certificate until they have work permission.

As such, he'd still technically be contracted to and insured by Brondby.
    makes sense.

the articles a couple of weeks ago suggested it was very close, i'm guessing the goal is to get him in for the 2nd camp in cali feb 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Here's an updated depth chart.
    Like the last time, I filled it in so every position had a sub. (Some positions are fluid, formations/players will shift, etc.) so players will move around (especially amongst the front six)

The main player I had difficulty placing was Adama Diomande. Given his last couple years, not sure what to expect of him, so I placed him third, he could easily be anywhere 1-3 depending on what we get

Honestly, this is pretty decent. If we can add another CB and some midfield depth before the season starts, we'll be in good shape.

Then, we can add a young DP and two U22s during the summer transfer window.

I believe Insigne and Fede are ready to drop 40+ goals between them.

Maybe we host and win MLS Cup?

That's the script Manning has written.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Maybe we host and win MLS Cup?

That's the script Manning has written.
    Personally, I'd settle for making the playoffs & being fun to watch.

As for MLS Cup, Philly are one scary looking team right now - they were a Gareth Bale Cinderella goal away from winning last year and have only gotten better.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Personally, I'd settle for making the playoffs & being fun to watch.

As for MLS Cup, Philly are one scary looking team right now - they were a Gareth Bale Cinderella goal away from winning last year and have only gotten better.
    Philly are about to lose their defensive midfielder to besiktas and there's a very good chance their left back leaves before the season is done.

They also had a bunch of players having career years a la tfc 2017, doubt they maintain same levels. Paxten aaronson 8s gone too.

I think they'll be good however, philly, orlando, us and Columbus will be the best teams in the east imo.

Cincinnati could be good if they keep their front 3.

Question marks there however.
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 01-28-2023 at 07:21 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to make predictions in this league. Nobody is deep enough, injuries, and morale of stars, play a huge role.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When Sean Johnson’s salary is officially announced we will learn that we have overpaid again on a player.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    When Sean Johnson’s salary is officially announced we will learn that we have overpaid again on a player.
    the most he is allowed to make with us is 660K (per the recent CBA), so no, we haven't, and we'll be paying less to gks by about 120K than we were last year.

good to see your well thought out and well informed posts back on the forum tho!
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 01-28-2023 at 01:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe. I hope he arrives. I didn't think Visa's to/from the Scandinavian countries with Canada were so challenging. Maybe Brondby is having second thoughts about the transfer. Maybe Rosted is having second thoughts given their Captain Maxso is (already) transferring to MLS or even re-considerations given who he is dating/in a relationship with; Kuhn's daughter. Odd, that while announced the most recent, Tretta got all his papers in order ( from Turkiye?) and is in training camp even though Diomande and Rosted were announced earlier and yet are supposedly experiencing issues. And Diomande has already played in MLS/NA; been cleared once!
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-28-2023 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Channeling my Crapgame...

Just a thought, even though I find it an unusual happenstance that both Toronto's and Colorado's 'Scouting Departments' identified one each of a pairing of a Danish clubs CB's; I wonder if there are any connects? If the Rosted transfer falls through maybe TFC considers going after Maxso. If that sort of Scandinavian footballer is the immediate kind of fit for Bob's intentions. We have dealt with Colorado before. Maybe a trade of Akinola and O'Neill? Or just Nelson? His wage is supposedly...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the most he is allowed to make with us is 660K (per the recent CBA), so no, we haven't, and we'll be paying less to gks by about 120K than we were last year.

good to see your well thought out and well informed posts back on the forum tho!
    If you think he left New York to come toToronto for an extra 100,000 as his salary last year was 550,000 , then good luck to you old chap. I will be sure to remind you of what he really makes in the coming months when salaries are released.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great job by the recruiting team so far...still need a cb of course...possible that we see more of insigne in the midfield if needed and with a large number of players being able to play at wing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do keep us all informed on how we overpaid for one of the best GKs in MLS.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post