Page 64 of 174 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 5193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mavinga returning doesn't exactly excite me. He seems like a great guy, but he has been downright bad each of the past two seasons and misses as many games as he plays.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a non guaranteed contract in MLS for a player like Mavinga?

If he is “back”, then he is worth the $500-750K or whatever he would be on, understood. But if he isn’t, you like to be able to move on for the summer window without taking the full year cap/roster hit….
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that Osorio is done, can Cavallini be far behind…..?

(My contract question above influences my view of this potential signing also)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn’t pay Mavinga more than 300-400. Maybe that’s naive of me to say given the price CB’s command in the market and his history with the team, but dude is sooo inconsistent it feels like he has more days where he’s off than on in recent years.

Hard pass on Cavallini. I would have been onside with this move but after his Red Card incident and the dumbest palinka penalty I have ever seen playing for Canada, I think he’s just a dumb meat-head who can’t be saved.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Hard pass on Cavallini. I would have been onside with this move but after his Red Card incident and the dumbest palinka penalty I have ever seen playing for Canada, I think he’s just a dumb meat-head who can’t be saved.
    I thought that too but if his role is specifically as a hold up #9 and to bang/cause box chaos then he can do that well and won't waste a DP spot, maybe not even TAM (or much of it at least). He might be an occasional red card threat but he won't get anywhere near taking a PK so that failed panenka won't apply here. I am fine with him.

As for Mavinga, at best he should get the old Ciman contract and spot as the rotating #3 CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider

Meantime, DCU is signing free agent goalkeeper Alex Bono, who spent eight years with Toronto FC, per source.

DCU keepers: Tyler Miller, Alex Bono, Luis Zamudio. #mls #tfc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Now that Osorio is done, can Cavallini be far behind…..?

(My contract question above influences my view of this potential signing also)
    Interesting question. Is Cava a free agent or would we have to trade for his rights?

Would he play well with our Italians?

I am more open to this than I have been in the past.
    Last edited by TFC/Everton; 12-14-2022 at 10:22 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mavinga has brainfarts at times, but so do literally 99% of MLS defenders.

if we can get him on 4-600K then it's a decent signing, especially as he seems quite popular in the locker room.

he also looked his best next to a competent organizer (drew moor, gonzalez 2019-20) so if we could get hedges would be good for chris too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn’t pay Mavinga more than 300-400. Maybe that’s naive of me to say given the price CB’s command in the market and his history with the team, but dude is sooo inconsistent it feels like he has more days where he’s off than on in recent years.

For me, while ‘life’ rather than what happens on the pitch, Cavallini’s vocal support of the Iran game is the third strike. Also dumb meathead stuff.
    Last edited by los sonadores; 12-14-2022 at 10:57 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vazquez has been liking every tfc post on instagram.

my guess is that is all done but they are waiting for oso content to be done before announcing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    vazquez has been liking every tfc post on instagram.

my guess is that is all done but they are waiting for oso content to be done before announcing it.
    He is 100% back.

He posted on Insta yesterday a picture of him on an Air Canada flight to Toronto saying "final stop".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    https://twitter.com/SoccerInsider

Meantime, DCU is signing free agent goalkeeper Alex Bono, who spent eight years with Toronto FC, per source.

DCU keepers: Tyler Miller, Alex Bono, Luis Zamudio. #mls #tfc
    Sometimes guys just need a change in scenery to progress but if we see marked improvement in Bono in the next year, add it to the reasons why Conway should be canned.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes guys just need a change in scenery to progress but if we see marked improvement in Bono in the next year, add it to the reasons why Conway should be canned.
    he'll likely be the backup goalkeeper there to tyler miller

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he'll likely be the backup goalkeeper there to tyler miller
    Of course. But let’s see how he plays in the games he gets. Have never been entirely sold on Tyler Miller (although he’s better than Bono). Seems like exactly the guy I would want playing in front of me if I wanted to win a starting role back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course. But let’s see how he plays in the games he gets. Have never been entirely sold on Tyler Miller (although he’s better than Bono). Seems like exactly the guy I would want playing in front of me if I wanted to win a starting role back.
    I bet Bono is the starter there by June. I definitely don't think Bono is good but he will win over Rooney in training and probably improve a bit with different coaching.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the league has passed bono by in a lot of ways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait until Wayne see's how tall and handsome Alex Bono is. It won over every manager we ever had here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so vazquez hasn't actually signed yet (he replied to me on instagram saying as much).

hopefully hasn't been some issue with the medical.

that being said no huge hurry on this so could be just busy with a thousand different things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Wait until Wayne see's how tall and handsome Alex Bono is. It won over every manager we ever had here.
    Hahaha, this is the exact comment I was hoping for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the league has passed bono by in a lot of ways.
    I know that sounds beyond ridiculous now, but when Frei left we had basically described him as an aloof geek who couldn’t control his box or communicate with his backline.”Good for shot stopping on the right day, that’s it”

Let’s hope this doesn’t turn out as lopsided. Keepers have long careers.

And full transparency I hate Bono and think we should have cut bate after 2019.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know that sounds beyond ridiculous now, but when Frei left we had basically described him as an aloof geek who couldn’t control his box or communicate with his backline.”Good for shot stopping on the right day, that’s it”

sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders for a player.

look at laryea.

orlando were on the verge of cutting him, he was about to retire.

he's now probably the best fullback in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oso/Vazquez means you only need to add a competent holding midfielder for the 18. Unless Jayden goes, in which case you probably still want another box-to-box guy (who might also be your holding midfielder). Good stuff.

Still need:
    - Starting leftback
    - Two starting centreback
    - Starting Keeper
    - Starting striker
    - Subs at fullback, holding midfield, wing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders for a player.

look at laryea.

orlando were on the verge of cutting him, he was about to retire.

he's now probably the best fullback in MLS.
    Sometimes clubs have their own agendas and do stupid things.

Orlando took a fast but (somewhat) diminutive guy that likes to take on players and told him to play in central midfield. Maybe he played there in college but in the pro game it was pretty clear what his best role would be. Similarly, they made Kamal Miller play fullback.

Why Vanney was the first coach to see Laryea for what he is I will never know.

But I’m perfectly okay with letting go of Bono. I am just not going to be surprised if he’s still in the league for a while and eventually makes his way back to being average.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing but good wishes to Bono. Seems like a guy who always tried 110% and was disappointed in himself with his screw ups. He got us the Cup and was in a tough position because the team gave him a large contract that he was unlikely to live up to. The King West bars will miss him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mavinga is at max a $250K backup CB.

I wouldn't be giving anything more than a one year guaruntee for someone part of the worst defense in the league.
    Last edited by Richard; 12-14-2022 at 03:41 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Mavinga is at max a $250K backup CB.

I wouldn't be giving anything more than a one year guaruntee for someone part of the worst defense in the league.
    harsh.

he's had some struggles over past couple years but he also had some solid games last year especially when oso, berna, insigne, criscito and laryea joined.

i think 2 years (with club option 3rd year) at 350-450K is fair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes clubs have their own agendas and do stupid things.

Orlando took a fast but (somewhat) diminutive guy that likes to take on players and told him to play in central midfield. Maybe he played there in college but in the pro game it was pretty clear what his best role would be. Similarly, they made Kamal Miller play fullback.

Why Vanney was the first coach to see Laryea for what he is I will never know.

But I’m perfectly okay with letting go of Bono. I am just not going to be surprised if he’s still in the league for a while and eventually makes his way back to being average.
    Orlando in their early days were chronically dysfunctional - at least it looked that way from outside. Certain organizations seem to have a sort of screen between what they think is happening and what is really happening. What they’re really doing is obscure. Vanney was quite good at being connected to what he was doing. Not that it always came off but he was paying careful attention.

For the occasional season that Montreal gets it right (last season was brilliant) I find the owner’s aggressively active role often puts them in a similar, early Orlando category. Not screwing up enough to be at the bottom of the table but a certain chaos is often ruling.

Never seen a pro keeper who suffered from a lack of confidence as much as Bono over the last few seasons. Maybe he can beat that problem and return to his earlier form but it seems to be a very big problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I wasn’t sorry to see Frei gone at the time. But he improved and had a consistent nature that was good for building a solid keeper. Helps, of course, as always to have a solid defence in front of you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono was a big part of our championship team and CCL run. Those guys walk together forever. I will always see that save on BWP in the 2017 playoffs when I think of him.

I hope he figures it out.