Page 93 of 191 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,790 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Like it or not Transfermarkt is used by most clubs and agents as primary reference point.
    Also, let us not forget that it is not as if Insigne was an unknown commodity, especially with the Italian national team and the exposure it gets from heritage/community members and football aficionados around the world.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure Curtis' dysfunction was in communication capability. I note that Manning immediately went to D'Amico back in September & got local knowledge & experience to seal this deal - probable lesson learned from Belgium.

How Manning landed on his target list is not as important to me as that the signing happened.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is jaw dropping. This post should be memorialized somehow, we are going to want to refer back to this for a long time.

I really wish MLSE had done a better job diagnosing what went wrong here. Curtis was a symptom, not a cause.
    ????

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like it or not Transfermarkt is used by most clubs and agents as primary reference point.
    football manager too
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, manning using an incredibly accurate and in depth player database to form a preliminary list of potential targets isn't a bad thing, absolutely strange to think it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, nearest I can figure, the first mention of Insigne in here was somebody posting this tweet

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Never going to happen. No way MLS teams sanction that big an escalation in salary overnight, and it's not up to TFC, it's up to the league.

He was asking for $5 million from Napoli and they offered $3.5. I would be highly surprised if a guy who was ready to sign for $5M now required $14M, a sum twice the most paid to any MLS player in history.

It just doesn't make any sense. $7M makes sense, especially if it's four years plus image rights.

Edit:
    It also doesn't make sense that all these deals that are "imminent" were first reported in Italy in November if they were all legit. That assumes Manning was rushing in attempted signings BEFORE he's nailed down Bob Bradley .... a guy with extensive connections in French, Scandinavian and African football who has demonstrated he can find top players for bargains.
    well, seeing as it did, who do we think is the next DP?

manning said in his interview they were still looking at players on their original list.

we really need to get the 3rd DP in before the start of the season imo, we can't be relying on POZ alone for half a year, especially as ayo isnt back til july.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    football manager too
    Such is the sophistication of the market atm, point is Manning isn’t unique in this case

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going back and looking at the start of this thread... Some of you guys refuse to believe anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    BTW, nearest I can figure, the first mention of Insigne in here was somebody posting this tweet

I went back to the 2021 in season thread. The first mention of Insigne was MikeForbes comparing Soteldo to Insigne after signing Soteldo. What foresight! http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...=1#post1932606

The first real mention of interest in Insigne was October 13. Most of posts were of disbelief. http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...=1#post1945817

EDIT: Looks like MikeForbes was the first to confirm news of Insigne coming to TFC. We have an insider amongst us. http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...=1#post1945837

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I went back to the 2021 in season thread. The first mention of Insigne was MikeForbes comparing Soteldo to Insigne after signing Soteldo. What foresight! http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...=1#post1932606

The first real mention of interest in Insigne was October 13. Most of posts were of disbelief. http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...=1#post1945817

EDIT: Looks like MikeForbes was the first to confirm news of Insigne coming to TFC. We have an insider amongst us. http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...=1#post1945837
    Hahaha. If being an insider is just me searching "Toronto FC" on Twitter while waking up in the morning, consider me the Nova Scotian Woj.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.getfootballnewsitaly.com...g-napoli-star/

This was the first mention of interest between TFC and Insigne. It mentions that Lino Di Cuollo was at the meeting and says a TFC rep may have also attended the meeting. Today Manning said he brought on Di Cuollo as an advisor to the team to help with this transaction. I think this basically confirms that the Oct 13 meeting was real.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Bez indirectly deserves some credit too. He laid the groundwork for this transaction by signing Seba. Manning alluded to the fact that the allure of playing in Toronto due to the lifestyle and the large Italian community were significant selling points for Insigne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Going back and looking at the start of this thread... Some of you guys refuse to believe anything.
    i still refuse to believe that Mullinho is gone

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so if dwyer is gone, ayo out until june/july...the only striker TFC currently have is perruzza.

need to get moving!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    so if dwyer is gone, ayo out until june/july...the only striker TFC currently have is perruzza.

need to get moving!
    Absolutely. The roster as currently constructed will really struggle to be around that playoff line for Insigne and whoever elses arrival in summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need to get moving!
    maybe the Spaniard in poland has a stop gap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say, I don’t get why people would be upset about Manning stating that he looked at transfermarkt to see what players are on expiring contracts. There is literally nothing wrong with that. It’s a data storage site that tracks contracts for players across the globe. If it wasn’t him doing it you can bet people underneath him would especially since they’re looking to avoid transfer fees.

To me it’s not different than an NHL GM quickly checking capgeek on what a player is currently making plus their contract length to start the process of determining if they should trade for them.

If information is out there, free and generally accurate of course you’re going to make use of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

need to get moving!
    We could always play like Man City with a rotating cast of false nines.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    I have to say, I don’t get why people would be upset about Manning stating that he looked at transfermarkt to see what players are on expiring contracts. There is literally nothing wrong with that. It’s a data storage site that tracks contracts for players across the globe. If it wasn’t him doing it you can bet people underneath him would especially since they’re looking to avoid transfer fees.

To me it’s not different than an NHL GM quickly checking capgeek on what a player is currently making plus their contract length to start the process of determining if they should trade for them.

If information is out there, free and generally accurate of course you’re going to make use of it.
    yeah it's pretty standard basic stuff, and it ended up with us signing lorenzo insigne.

very odd to be annoyed at him for it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Absolutely. The roster as currently constructed will really struggle to be around that playoff line for Insigne and whoever elses arrival in summer.
    i mean yeah, we have about 13 players contracted lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Such is the sophistication of the market atm, point is Manning isn’t unique in this case
    This is a day to celebrate. Will table this topic for another day.

Most MLS GMs get their acquisition lists from Will Forbes, I think.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i mean yeah, we have about 13 players contracted lol
    Bono coming off the bench to be a target man in the 88th minute. I can see it now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Evening mentioning Transfermarkt is ballsy, you certainly could get ridiculed for it. I am curious to know who else was out of contract on the Italy roster when he looked at it and compiled his list? Guess that is something anyone hear could look at.
    It’s certainly a bad omen among those who understand the sport. Akin to Paul Mariner’s YouTube scouting reports.

But let me say this, you would hope we are at the stage as an organization where we have scouts and plenty of other people are are taking care of the dirty work. Manning would be the guy who thinks of a vision and others make sure it checks out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is a day to celebrate. Will table this topic for another day.

Most MLS GMs get their acquisition lists from Will Forbes, I think.
    The real reason Will Forbes isn’t his real name is because he’s secretly the MLS puppet master

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post

Databases are part of every job. I am sure TFC are on this site and many others hundreds of times a day. Of course all MLS Personnel use sites like this to look stuff up.

It is about how Manning said he was using the data. Scrubbing databases isn’t a serious person's expectation of how “idea generation” should work for major investment decisions of this kind.

(OK done for now on this, for real. Except to point out that now we know how we wound up with Soteldo, a player whose style very clearly conflicted with Poz, as many on here talked about from day one. But hey, he was a top player, people seem to like him, we had the money, and he was on the transfermarkt list we did…)
    Last edited by ensco; 01-08-2022 at 06:11 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remaining priorities for the off season:

Sign a cornerstone CB

Move Jozy and sign a forward

Need a replacement for Richie at Fullback - I would also look at Abzi and Mo Farsi from the CPL for fullback depth. It will be interesting to see if Kemar Lawrence is better next year, he wasnt great this year, but no one was.

Need additional defensive depth - Lukas McNaughton from Pacific FC rumoured to be on the way

Resign Ayo Akinola (rumoured to be close)
    Last edited by Soccerpro; 01-08-2022 at 06:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soccerpro View Post
    Remaining priorities for the off season:

Sign a cornerstone CB

Move Jozy and sign a forward

Need a replacement for Richie at Fullback - I would also look at Abzi and Mo Farsi from the CPL for fullback depth. It will be interested to see if Kemar Lawrence is better next year, he wasnt great this year, but no one was.

Need additional defensive depth - Lukas McNaughton from Pacific FC rumoured to be on the way

Resign Ayo Akinola (rumoured to be close)
    Mo Farsi has been pretty good but given development requirements and all I think you take Kobe Franklin or Farsi but not both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    https://www.getfootballnewsitaly.com...g-napoli-star/

This was the first mention of interest between TFC and Insigne. It mentions that Lino Di Cuollo was at the meeting and says a TFC rep may have also attended the meeting. Today Manning said he brought on Di Cuollo as an advisor to the team to help with this transaction. I think this basically confirms that the Oct 13 meeting was real.
    this meeting was when the first concrete offer was made from my understanding… Insigne’s camp said not cause it was around 7-8 gross. Then the new offer was given at a later date and it was too much to refuse and Insinge started to think seriously as tfc asan option