Results 2,491 to 2,520 of 5705
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    That was 2014, I was at that match.
    Yes when Big Sam was trying to keep us up, same year Rooney scored from midfield. I was at that game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Manning still in Italy? If so, Destro, wearing the captain's armband for Genoa today, is putting in a nice audition with probably the first backheel goal of his career.

In all seriousness though, I've had an eye on Destro since he came up through the Inter youth setup, and while he's no Belotti, he'd definitely still do a job in MLS. I can see 15 goals playing alongside Insigne and Pozuelo over a whole season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    I know this can happen no matter what keeper we get, but is anyone concerned with getting Borjan and his quality of play and everything regressing like we have been witnessing with most our keepers as of late?
    At 34 it has to be a concern, but for 2-3 seasons I would bet it works out and hopefully they use that time to groom a keeper for the future

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this can happen no matter what keeper we get, but is anyone concerned with getting Borjan and his quality of play and everything regressing like we have been witnessing with most our keepers as of late?
    I rather Borjan comes, retires to become our GK coach...
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conway is still listed as GK coach....so anything is possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not concerned. Generally keepers don’t age like other player so likely be okay for the short term.

Having said that, I’d prefer an inanimate object between the sticks over Bono because at least the inanimate object won’t turn the ball over as often and likely will give up the same amount of high scoring rebounds.

If you are one of Bono’s relatives, don’t bother taking out a user name to login on here to let me know he single handedly won games this year for TFC as I’ll concede he did. My response will be that Anyone can win games when it doesn’t matter, we need someone that won’t lose them when it does matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, like, Belotti is happening!? This would be fantastic!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R.O. View Post
    So, like, Belotti is happening!? This would be fantastic!

I bet having Insigne signed helps in any talks to bring other players that may want to play with him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    My response will be that Anyone can win games when it doesn’t matter, we need someone that won’t lose them when it does matter.
    Webdogg, I will forever keep dropping this t'ill everyone picks it up... 'L'Attacco wins matches, La Difesa wins Championships!'.
    Our back needs to get sorted right quick, for our, and Insigne/Poz's sake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Is Manning still in Italy? If so, Destro, wearing the captain's armband for Genoa today, is putting in a nice audition with probably the first backheel goal of his career.
    Manning never went to Italy. He was set to go to Italy a few days ago, but tested positive for covid, so had to delay his trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reports in Brazil say that Sao Paulo expects an answer from TFC on Soteldo's loan today.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post

When you think about it, we have freed up a fair amount of cap space and gained TAM/GAM (things like OGs contract as well).... i was wondering how we were chasing all of these players but maybe they can juggle this. Back end looks decent Auro - O'Neill, Mavinga, ??(Insert Name), Lawrence. and give Franklin a run... the thing Laryea brought was the ability to attack as well but if you move Shaf to the right and reinforce the strikers. Maybe we are fine.

Still need a striker answer... and i think the midfield sorts itself out... but everything will depend on the type of game that BB wants to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was 2014, I was at that match.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Yes when Big Sam was trying to keep us up, same year Rooney scored from midfield. I was at that game.
    Yes!... Sam "They couldn't be any worse than the first team, Right?... Wrong!" Allardyce. Controversy, seems to follow this man.
    One day I hope to attend and experience any proper- in season EPL/CL match. Even as a neutral, for the air and the heritage. On the bucket list.
    Forever Blowing Bubbles...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The dude gets shoehorned into 10 different roles in midfield depending on the needs of the team and manages to keep up with each and every one. Excels in some roles more than others.

In 2020 playing next to Delgado in a midfield 2 he was brilliant. The most annoying thing we’ve ever done is insist on injecting Bradley to the midfield last year when we had a proven combination of players that held a higher level of performance than Bradley had post-return from injury.

Anyway, all that is to say, if we’re going to judge Osorio, we should at least do it on the type of roles in midfield he does best. 3rd CB / sweeper Bradley unbalances the field and leaves him and Delgado as unglamorous rovers who just track back and forth providing outlets and tracking runners. And Bradley’s inability to see between the lines leaves everyone tracking back for the ball.

Love Bradley in his prime but his engine is about 60% of what it was and the passing range required from a DM in the game now is much greater than it was 5 years ago. He’s no longer a starter on a good team.
    Always love reading your posts ag futbol, intelligent comments with real soccer knowledge. Can’t agree more about Bradley he’s good old fashioned done as a player. How can we get rid of this boat anchor?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eusebio was only two years older and won a NASL title in Toronto. I think that is a bit disrespectful to say Eusebio didn’t play in a serous manner or it wasn’t a serious league.
    He played 21 games for Toronto Metros-Croatia. I don't think the NASL was a very serious league at all and of course we all know how it ended. The MLS is lightyears ahead in terms of the game play itself, fan culture, soccer specific stadiums, $$$$$'s, TV deals, etc. A 5-year deal with a European star is a lot different today than back then when it was more of a circus-league with Pele and co. on tour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Always love reading your posts ag futbol, intelligent comments with real soccer knowledge. Can’t agree more about Bradley he’s good old fashioned done as a player. How can we get rid of this boat anchor?
    Don’t get me wrong, I think Bradley can still play in the league and start the occasional game. I just wouldn’t make him an everyday starter.

Also wonder how he handles this transition to the later years of his career. Certain he’s of strong character but he also wouldn’t be the first athlete to fail to recognize how his abilities have changed with age and insist on playing an outside role in his twilight years (if that was happening).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back end looks decent Auro - O'Neill, Mavinga, ??(Insert Name), Lawrence. and give Franklin a run... the thing Laryea brought was the ability to attack as well but if you move Shaf to the right and reinforce the strikers. Maybe we are fine.
    We need another CB for sure. I'm a believer in Mavinga but you can basically pencil him in now for at least a couple muscle strains and I think O'Neill is a good #3 but not an everyday starter. If those Salcedo rumours come to fruition that would be excellent.

On Shaff, for me he 100% has to play on the left. He has the pace and quick first step to make him a dangerous crosser, but he doesn't have the quick feet and close control to play his off-side effectively. Laryea could play both sides because of how shifty he is on the ball. Shaffelburg's not like that, if anyone remembers how Ashtone Morgan looked whenever we had to have him fill in at RB, that's how effective Shaff would be there.

With Insigne presumably occupying the left attacking side full-time, I would convert Shaff to a LB. He can get spot duty at LW whenever Insigne isn't playing but I think he could be a great weapon at LB, bombing down the flank and whipping in crosses. We had Edwards make the same transition when he moved up from TFC II initially, where he was always a winger, and Shaff is an even better crosser of the ball. He'll need to learn the defensive side of things but this is his route to getting a lot of minutes despite Insigne's arrival and still being effective, which I don't see happening if we move him to the right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Don’t get me wrong, I think Bradley can still play in the league and start the occasional game. I just wouldn’t make him an everyday starter.

Also wonder how he handles this transition to the later years of his career. Certain he’s of strong character but he also wouldn’t be the first athlete to fail to recognize how his abilities have changed with age and insist on playing an outside role in his twilight years (if that was happening).
    I think he can handle it well. I remember the game where Perez pulled Bradley and Jozy at half time. Bradley was right back on the bench, really into the game and encouraging his teammates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    We need another CB for sure. I'm a believer in Mavinga but you can basically pencil him in now for at least a couple muscle strains and I think O'Neill is a good #3 but not an everyday starter. If those Salcedo rumours come to fruition that would be excellent.

On Shaff, for me he 100% has to play on the left. He has the pace and quick first step to make him a dangerous crosser, but he doesn't have the quick feet and close control to play his off-side effectively. Laryea could play both sides because of how shifty he is on the ball. Shaffelburg's not like that, if anyone remembers how Ashtone Morgan looked whenever we had to have him fill in at RB, that's how effective Shaff would be there.

With Insigne presumably occupying the left attacking side full-time, I would convert Shaff to a LB. He can get spot duty at LW whenever Insigne isn't playing but I think he could be a great weapon at LB, bombing down the flank and whipping in crosses. We had Edwards make the same transition when he moved up from TFC II initially, where he was always a winger, and Shaff is an even better crosser of the ball. He'll need to learn the defensive side of things but this is his route to getting a lot of minutes despite Insigne's arrival and still being effective, which I don't see happening if we move him to the right.
    I am 100% with you on trying Shaff at LB. He has the abilities of a modern fullback and is too one footed to effectively play on the right side. He is also too good to be relegated to just being Insigne's backup.
    Last edited by MikeForbes; 01-06-2022 at 01:22 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Yeah, I would agree as the next best alternative for him. I still think we then need an answer to the right (will miss Laryea there). Not sure Achara is the guy (wanted him to be). btw... Akinola isn't forecasted to be available until the summer. Not sure we have anyone who can play there effectively then.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Yeah, I would agree as the next best alternative for him. I still think we then need an answer to the right (will miss Laryea there). Not sure Achara is the guy (wanted him to be). btw... Akinola isn't forecasted to be available until the summer. Not sure we have anyone who can play there effectively then.
    The thing that worries me about Akinola is he is kind of built like Altidore a bit which has not served Altidore well in terms of durability. I fear Akinola will have a similar injury prone career with on/off availability all the time like he has so far so hopefully TFC doesn't count on him as being the striker solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I think he can handle it well. I remember the game where Perez pulled Bradley and Jozy at half time. Bradley was right back on the bench, really into the game and encouraging his teammates.
    Let’s hope so but to be fair that was a one game occurrence. With Priso’s subsequent injury and other fixture congestion that never really stuck as a trend.

It really needs to change now. He can’t be the first choice starter.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    He played 21 games for Toronto Metros-Croatia. I don't think the NASL was a very serious league at all and of course we all know how it ended. The MLS is lightyears ahead in terms of the game play itself, fan culture, soccer specific stadiums, $$$$$'s, TV deals, etc. A 5-year deal with a European star is a lot different today than back then when it was more of a circus-league with Pele and co. on tour.
    The NASL was the best thing that it could be for that time, and many of its investors put in serious money for acquiring players. It wasn't like the Harlem Globetrotters for basketball, despite the crazy gimmicks and things they did to raise interest in a "foreign" game. The Metros-Croatia (later known as the Blizzard), who Eusebio played for, was one of the model franchises and was a professionally managed club. The NASL doesn't compare to the professionalism that MLS has today, but MLS wouldn't exist if it weren't for the NASL. If you check, apart from ethnic youth teams, most youth soccer clubs in the GTA and in the US date from the heyday of the NASL in the 1970's or later. It literally gave birth to the youth soccer movement that provided many of the players that make up the bulk of MLS teams. It also gave a lot of lessons on how not to do things, but hindsight is 20/20.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-06-2022 at 01:59 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Watching Bradley in the second half of the season I noticed he become quiet and frankly did not act as a captain should, I truly believe he knew his father was coming TFC and just stopped caring because his dad was on his and everything was going to get better. At 1.5 million there is no chance we can trade him away, no chance any team would pay that salary for Bradley

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAM View Post
    I wouldn't mind this. Oso will never be a weak link in MLS and he plays up to the level around him so if they keep the team stacked with some pedigree he will shine, and he's a hometown boy. Never gets injured either.
    That's always been my thing with Oso. He plays up to whatever level is asked of him for TFC and Canada, but also seems to play down as well. Plenty of games the last few injury filled years without all our DPs where he's had opportunity to take over and be that guy, but rarely breaks a game open by himself, even in Canadian Championship against what should be lesser competition.

His best year was when he was when defenses had to worry about Jozy, Seba, Victor first, allowing him to have a bit more space, or ability to show up in the box unmarked. Here's hoping restacking our offence gives Oso another opportunity for a huge year if teams are doubling up on Poz and Insigne!

Shame about Richie leaving - Championship should be a bit of a level up from MLS for getting more experience but I love the moves like Tajon to a team where he can also get some european games in as well. Hopefully another stepping stone in the right direction for him. He's earned it after being one of the most entertaining guys to watch the last few years. He's got the speed and acceleration to break games open at any level, interesting to see if the rest of his tool kit can keep up against better defenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I am 100% with you on trying Shaff at LB. He has the abilities of a modern fullback and is too one footed to effectively play on the right side. He is also too good to be relegated to just being Insigne's backup.
    He's allegedly two-footed; can play with both. Does seem much stronger on the left to me, though, although maybe that's just because we haven't seen him on the right.

Good defender most of the time for a forward, gets caught too tight sometimes.

He's a wingback or a winger, really. Bradley likes modern formations so I have a sneaking suspicion we'll see him as a wingback backup and a wing backup.

Belotti seems unlikely unless we again double what he'd get in England. He has had suitors for several seasons. Numerous premiership teams inquiring, including new-money Newcastle.

Then again, that seemed true of Insigne at one point.

It would be a dream lineup, but something like

----------------Borjan------------------
    ----Salcedo--Mavinga--Criscito----
    Auro-----------------------------Lawrence
    ---------Delgado-----Osorio----
    ---Pozuelo---------------Insigne------
    --------------Belotti-----------------

That lineup would some serious damage in MLS.

It'll probably end up more like
    ------------Westburg--------------
    Auro--Mavinga--Criscito--Lawrence
    ----Delgado--Bradley--Osorio--
    -------Pozuelo-----Insigne---------
    ----Akinola/New Striker/Peruzza
    Last edited by jloome; 01-06-2022 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The NASL was the best thing that it could be for that time, and many of its investors put in serious money for acquiring players. It wasn't like the Harlem Globetrotters for basketball, despite the crazy gimmicks and things they did to raise interest in a "foreign" game. The Metros-Croatia (later known as the Blizzard), who Eusebio played for, was one of the model franchises and was a professionally managed club. The NASL doesn't compare to the professionalism that MLS has today, but MLS wouldn't exist if it weren't for the NASL. If you check, apart from ethnic youth teams, most youth soccer clubs in the GTA and in the US date from the heyday of the NASL in the 1970's or later. It literally gave birth to the youth soccer movement that provided many of the players that make up the bulk of MLS teams. It also gave a lot of lessons on how not to do things, but hindsight is 20/20.
    Could not agree more. One of the babies, in the baby steps, of football in Anglo North America.
    Shit... awash again in the memories of my father and me as a child and yute...
    Enjoying together, every so often, The Toronto Metros, -Croatia, and Blizzard at Lamport, Varsity and Centennial Park Stadiums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The keeper Celentano in the SuperDraft is officially a Generation Adidas player. Seems like a pretty safe pick for TFC if they actually pick at 3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    He's allegedly two-footed; can play with both. Does seem much stronger on the left to me, though, although maybe that's just because we haven't seen him on the right.

Good defender most of the time for a forward, gets caught too tight sometimes.

He's a wingback or a winger, really. Bradley likes modern formations so I have a sneaking suspicion we'll see him as a wingback backup and a wing backup.

Belotti seems unlikely unless we again double what he'd get in England. He has had suitors for several seasons. Numerous premiership teams inquiring, including new-money Newcastle.

Then again, that seemed true of Insigne at one point.

It would be a dream lineup, but something like

----------------Borjan------------------
    ----Salcedo--Mavinga--Criscito----
    Auro-----------------------------Lawrence
    ---------Delgado-----Osorio----
    ---Pozuelo---------------Insigne------
    --------------Belotti-----------------

That lineup would some serious damage in MLS.

It'll probably end up more like
    ------------Westburg--------------
    Auro--Mavinga--Criscito--Lawrence
    ----Delgado--Bradley--Osorio--
    -------Pozuelo-----Insigne---------
    ----Akinola/New Striker/Peruzza
    That first lineup you posted is mouthwatering.