Page 53 of 191 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 5705
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Or that Insigne's agent might have someone else in their stable on the TFC radar, and that TFC might be being helpful to the agent on Insigne, by being willing to be seen to be bidding, in return for an inside track on the player they really want.

I have no idea whether it's happening with us, but that occurs every single day in Europe.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legit? Not legit? No idea. Just saw it on my feed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^Or that Insigne's agent might have someone else in their stable on the TFC radar, and that TFC might be being helpful to the agent on Insigne, by being willing to be seen to be bidding, in return for an inside track on the player they really want.

I have no idea whether it's happening with us, but that occurs every single day in Europe.
    Yeah, makes more sense than us actually wanting the guy. He wants a final contract at the club he's captaining, they haven't offered one thinking his age will land them a deal, sudden outside interest forces their hand...

Probably a lot of that stuff going on. Might even be a third option in play if they get a better offer for Insigne.

Either way, Singh's claim of 'sources' confirming this is patently false, as the CP story demonstrates. The Team had to make that statement to make it clear they aren't breaking FIFA 'totting up' regulations by agreeing terms before a contract has expired (they probably have, but there's no way they're telling a reporter that.)

People wondering how to judge what is accurate in the modern media have to ask themselves what the leaker gains. People don't just "leak" material, unless they're very sloppy and the reporter is very shrewd. It's a quid-pro-quo system, developing sources, and most of the time the reporter has to accept they're getting the info because it furthers someone's agenda.

TFC has a lot to gain in early seat sales by leaking that he's coming, but they don't need to "confirm" a deal to do that, so they wouldn't. It just doesn't make any sense.

Plus, he worded it as "sources confirm", which peevishly reads to me as "some sources, somewhere" not "sources are telling me" or "I can confirm," or "we can confirm."

If a reporter really has a lock-solid scoop, they trumpet it, they don't use an ambiguous throwaway line.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Nonsense. Up to $15m a year in a capped league with a union? Utter bullshit.

EDIT: That's $22.4 Million PER SEASON in Canuck bucks, folks. Why would anyone believe that's true in MLS? That's more than the entire roster hit for most teams in the league, on one player.
    Last edited by jloome; 12-28-2021 at 05:35 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is what I think: I think TFC have made some sort of offer to Insigne, and Insigne is genuinely intrigued about cashing in.

He knows his national team gig is mostly done (Italy is only 50/50 at best to make it to Qatar, and Insigne was a sub in Euro 2020).

But, and this is a big but, he doesn't really knows what his other options in Europe are yet. Options like Tottenham etc don't really come together until the window itself, plus this situation (where a player is available on a free, but only in the summer) is always a bit of a pretzel. A lot of this noise seems, to me, a campaign to get Napoli's supporters/ultras to put pressure on ownership there to step up.

So: Insigne is not insincere in potential interest in TFC, but it costs him nothing to be seriously interested. The real decision making happens in a couple of weeks. Maybe I am right, and he gets enough elsewhere to stay in Europe and to try MLS in a year or two (Believe it or not, Toronto may not be the preferred destination for an elite Italian - it's not bad of course, but these guys - or their wives more precisely - all seem to want NY, LA, Miami....). Places like Boston, Philly, Chicago, SF and of course Montreal all have big Italian communities too.

Maybe several of you are right, and TFC's stupid money trumps all.

But right now, we got nothin', ex the fact that TFC are talking to him.

(I am also quite suspicious of the agent and other dealings he may be having with TFC/MLS being a factor, but we will never know)
    Last edited by ensco; 12-28-2021 at 05:46 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have come to the conclusion that it will take an official announcement, two full seasons, a personalized signed jersey from Insigne himself and an MLS Cup for ensco to believe we might actually sign Insigne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that it will take an official announcement, two full seasons, a personalized signed jersey from Insigne himself and an MLS Cup for ensco to believe we might actually sign Insigne.
    Or, you know, one reliable source confirming something.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the compliment of noticing my mad ravings.

Yeah, I am older, it's not my first trip to the rodeo, and I don't really get this one, but of course, who knows?

If he re-signs for Napoli, which I stiull think is the likeliest outcome ... (Santa Maria....La Salvezza!)... I promise not to lord it here.

If he signs here, well, two things are certain in life: death and revisionist history. I will then just decide I thought this was happening all along.... ;-)
    Last edited by ensco; 12-28-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insigne was a sub in Euro 2020
    Insigne started 6 of Italy's 7 games. The only time he sat was in their final group stage game when they had already advanced. He's been a consistent starter for Italy since 2017.
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/lorenzo...spieler/133964

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Or, you know, one reliable source confirming something.
    Fabrizio Romano is literally the most connected person in world when it comes to transfers. He has over 6 million followers on Twitter. He hasn't said it is done, that is true. But this is very, very real. I can understand you not wanting to get your hopes up or being skeptical, but there is too much smoke for this not to be real.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Insigne started 6 of Italy's 7 games. The only time he sat was in their final group stage game when they had already advanced. He's been a consistent starter for Italy since 2017.
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/lorenzo...spieler/133964
    I stand corrected. I was wrong on this.

My broader point may still be valid, 16 months is a long time in a WC squad at this age. Unless you are Miroslav Klose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the compliment of noticing my mad ravings.

Yeah, I am older, it's not my first trip to the rodeo, and I don't really get this one, but of course, who knows?

If he re-signs for Napoli, which I stiull think is the likeliest outcome ... (Santa Maria....La Salvezza!)... I promise not to lord it here.

If he signs here, well, two things are certain in life: death and revisionist history. I will then just decide I thought this was happening all along.... ;-)

Hey, if anyone asks I'll say you were here from the start telling everyone that this is real and anyone doubting it is wrong. Haha.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fabrizio Romano is literally the most connected person in world when it comes to transfers. He has over 6 million followers on Twitter. He hasn't said it is done, that is true. But this is very, very real. I can understand you not wanting to get your hopes up or being skeptical, but there is too much smoke for this not to be real.
    I agree it's real. Romano says TFC are serious, and he "reports" the offer at 11.5M euros a year, and I hope you will forgive me for saying TFC are absolutely barking, if that is true.

The guy tweets a lot, he doesn't look to me like the Italian Woj. I assume that salary report is not true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't doubt the interest. It just makes more sense until the window opens that they would hedge their bets, and use any public discussion to try to ramp up his value.

If you're Insigne and you're getting an offer of $7-8M a year from MLS, would it not make more sense to wait until the window to hear if Tottenham or Newcastle will match it? Both have expressed interest, and the latter now has unlimited resources.

So much of what's being reported here smacks of silly season bullshit; that doesn't mean he won't come here or be one of the league's best-paid players. But the idea that TFC and MLS will "price out" top leagues for a top player seems absurd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stand corrected. I was wrong on this.

My broader point may still be valid, 16 months is a long time in a WC squad at this age. Unless you are Miroslav Klose.
    For sure. He was the oldest attacker for Italy at Euros and one of the oldest players on the team in general.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is most important here, whether TFC is being used as a stalking horse or not. It is telling everyone else, we have money. Our intent is to win and you should be part of this. It tells our existing players that they better get in shape because last year will not be an acceptable outcome for this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    What is most important here, whether TFC is being used as a stalking horse or not. It is telling everyone else, we have money. Our intent is to win and you should be part of this. It tells our existing players that they better get in shape because last year will not be an acceptable outcome for this year.
    Yeah, I can't see how it hurts us. Even if he goes somewhere else, other players of that calibre will start weighing the possibility seriously. I can also believe they told him the Ital-Canadian community is large enough that his image rights alone are probably good for another $1-5M per year.

There are also "friend of the club" benefits they can offer, like cheap real estate, free car leases etc. That shit can really add up. Conan O'Brien was a little embarrassed on his podcast recently to admit that his guitar collection, which is notable, largely cost nothing as people just give them to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're Insigne and you're getting an offer of $7-8M a year from MLS, would it not make more sense to wait until the window to hear if Tottenham or Newcastle will match it? Both have expressed interest, and the latter now has unlimited resources.
    Spurs only have 3 players (Kane, Son, Ndombele) making more than $7M USD, and the highest paid player at Newcastle is on $6M USD. Spurs have a very tight wage structure and won't change that. Maybe Newcastle breaks the bank for someone, but they need reinforcements for January not June. (Salaries via Sportrac FWIW)

We're also not the only ones who can propose contracts to him - I'm sure Spurs, Newcastle, Inter, and any other suitors have all had discussions about potential ranges of contract values. Things can always change before the contract is signed (Willian bailing on Spurs to join Chelsea is a good example - he had already completed a medical with Spurs and was rumored to have the contract in front of him to sign). But for all purposes, we're the front runner here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Spurs only have 3 players (Kane, Son, Ndombele) making more than $7M USD, and the highest paid player at Newcastle is on $6M USD. Spurs have a very tight wage structure and won't change that. Maybe Newcastle breaks the bank for someone, but they need reinforcements for January not June.
    We're also not the only ones who can propose contracts to him - I'm sure Spurs, Newcastle, Inter, and any other suitors have all had discussions about potential ranges of contract values. Things can always change before the contract is signed (Willian bailing on Spurs to join Chelsea is a good example - he had already completed a medical with Spurs and was rumored to have the contract in front of him to sign). But for all purposes, we're the front runner here.
    Newcastle, if involved, is always the front runner. They have Saudi money now. THey could offer as much in a year as we do in four and not even break a sweat. And even relegated, they're a bigger club than we are.

Can't go by their existing deals or structure, as they were only just bought by the Saudi asset management firm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is my $0.02, 100% speculative, hottest-of-hot, Stephen- A-Smith certified take.

This is 100% real interest. Waaay too much smoke on this not for it to be real. There is definitely an offer on the table right now for a large amount of money. But, it is not the amount of money being quoted right now on Twitter. This other worldly jaw-dropping figure is a last-gasp attempt by the agent to coax a better figure out of the Europeans and hope someone feels a sense of embarrassment/ motivation to keep a pretty good fucking footballer in Europe in advance of a major tournament rather than see him go play for “the Americans”. Nobody steps up with something at least a little bit higher and he’s as good as ours come the January window.

Manning and company would be best to put a gun to their heads and say sign-now or this dies. Any hesitation here and I take it as a sign he doesn’t want to come or we’re being played. Having your name attached to big deals like this is great, but occasionally you have to close and other times punch people in the face when you think you’re being used as a pawn. If TFC is actually willing to write as big a cheque as reported, I’d be happy to let Insgine die if he doesn’t sign on the line, cause a lot of inbound calls will come if TFC can sign that sort of contract.

On another front, let’s not waste our time taking about what Davidson and Molinaro are reporting. They are not edge pushing reporters. They might as well write the club press releases. They summarize what is known to all or make logical deductions based on fully available information. They don’t traffic in transfers / speculation. Their takes on this are not even worth reading other than to guess what the club actually wants the public to know.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can a Napoli supporter speak to the relationship in Napoli between the supporters/ultras and Insigne? What is ownership's real freedom of motion here?

Face it, a club like that, if we don’t understand that, we don’t understand anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give me Belotti. Give me Lacazette. Let’s break the communist cap please. Ex-MLS lawyer, Andrew Visnovsky, extremely up in arms right now on Twitter at the idea of this deal even being floated. Which makes me laugh.
    Last edited by portu; 12-28-2021 at 06:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    On another front, let’s not waste our time taking about what Davidson and Molinaro are reporting.
    I was with you until this. Neil Davidson is an actual reporter. None of the others being quoted in these pieces are, they're rumor mongers.

Davidson has a twenty-plus year track record of accuracy and breaking stories, and on a different level. He's a serious reporter, like Steve Goff at the Washington Post, Michelle Kaufmann at the Herald. He doesn't break as much as Goff but when he does, it's a lock to be accurate and properly sourced.

If you see less of that from him these days than in the past, it's because he's one of the few sports-only reporters left at CP and seriously overtasked, not just covering football.
    Last edited by jloome; 12-28-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am still digesting that Romano salary report, which is 11.5M euros NET. That is $28M USD a year pre tax, for those keeping score at home.

Sure. That is what TFC is offering. Right.

This whole thing is so great, a laugh, a ton of fun in an otherwise dreary world. I cannot believe the number of otherwise serious people these Italian websites and Twitter feeds have managed to get to report this. A master class!

This is better than the rollerblader and Forlan, better than the actual Gio signing… this is the ultimate TFC world class global football bs feedback loop moment.

*chef's kiss*
    Last edited by ensco; 12-28-2021 at 06:43 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was with you until this. Neil Davidson is an actual reporter. None of the others being quoted in these pieces are, they're rumor mongers.

Davidson has a twenty-plus year track record of accuracy and breaking stories, and on a different level. He's a serious reporter, like Steve Goff at the Washington Post, Michelle Kaufmann at the Herald. He doesn't break as much as Goff but when he does, it's a lock to be accurate and properly sourced.

If you see less of that from him these days than in the past, it's because he's one of the few sports-only reporters left at CP and seriously overtasked, not just covering football.
    Yes 100%. These guys never struck me as stenographers. But they only say what they can back up, and sure, that often requires the club to confirm it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In other news to break this back and forth, Soteldo and Sao Paulo are getting closer to a transfer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn’t realize this, however looks like Max Bretos and TT actually confirmed the deal being done.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    I didn’t realize this, however looks like Max Bretos and TT actually confirmed the deal being done.
    Twellman shared the Waking the Red guys tweet, that was his source.

jloome took that tweet apart earlier today.

Like I said, a worldwide global bs feedback loop. This thing is in every bs aggregator in England too.

It is a triumph!
    Last edited by ensco; 12-28-2021 at 06:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twellman shared the Waking the Red guys tweet, that was his source.

jloome took that tweet apart earlier today.

Like I said, a worldwide global bs feedback loop. This thing is in every bs aggregator in England too.

It is a triumph!
    Even mainstream newspapers are reporting it...it's in the Daily Mail. Which is shit. And is quoting Michael Singh as its source.

And Bretos has never been a beat reporter. He's one of the original Fox Sports Canada announcers they had working out of the Global studios in Winnipeg. He's literally a cue-card reading TV guy.