Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lmao Orlando getting skinned by Beskitas in the Cyle Larin deal. Sets a big precedent that you need tie down players going into an option year otherwise you're gonna get fucked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Lmao Orlando getting skinned by Beskitas in the Cyle Larin deal. Sets a big precedent that you need tie down players going into an option year otherwise you're gonna get fucked.
    Don't know why they were playing hardball with a disgruntled player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Yeah, OCSC fucked this up. Especially compared to the IMFC's Tabla big payday (diff situation but still...).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they just spent a ton on Ola Kamara. No way this happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twellman is a pretty good source

Sat Sept 15 at BMO Field
    LAG vs TFC
    vdW is going to break Ibra's leg
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    they just spent a ton on Ola Kamara. No way this happens.
    We pay a bunch of money to two strikers, I don't see why getting Kamara would stop them from getting Ibra if they had the chance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    We pay a bunch of money to two strikers, I don't see why getting Kamara would stop them from getting Ibra if they had the chance.
    They already have Dos Santos. That's three DP's playing the same position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They already have Dos Santos. That's three DP's playing the same position.
    He can slide back to AM (or even on the wing) pretty easily though.

As long as he's not asking for a long term contract, I don't think you can pass on Ibrahimovic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He can slide back to AM (or even on the wing) pretty easily though.

As long as he's not asking for a long term contract, I don't think you can pass on Ibrahimovic.
    No he really cannot. That's been the single point of issue since his arrival in LA. He refuses to track back, when he plays on the wing he refuses to actually play there. Similiarly to Seba, the only workable option is play him beside and active strike partner who does a lot of the dirty work he doesn't want to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No he really cannot. That's been the single point of issue since his arrival in LA. He refuses to track back, when he plays on the wing he refuses to actually play there. Similiarly to Seba, the only workable option is play him beside and active strike partner who does a lot of the dirty work he doesn't want to do.
    I think it makes more sense than you do, but regardless, the Galaxy are facing serious pressure from LAFC, who have made some big moves and have a better stadium location. If the Galaxy have a shot at Ibrahimovic they're not passing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it makes more sense than you do, but regardless, the Galaxy are facing serious pressure from LAFC, who have made some big moves and have a better stadium location. If the Galaxy have a shot at Ibrahimovic they're not passing.
    well there's two entire seasons of footage (not to mention results) that back up my point. I do agree that they're likely going to go after a very big name signing soon due to the issues you raised, but the Ibra move seems a year too late. They've already basically worked out their whole front six. They'd throw everything good they've done this off-season in the dumpster if they signed him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think tactics are overrated in football. You play your best XI. They'll go 3-4-3 or something to make this work.

I am surprised Ibra would do this for TAM money. Really doesn't sound like him to come in for nothing like that (at least nothing by his standards)
    Last edited by ensco; 01-28-2018 at 10:38 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I'm surprised Ibra would do this for TAM money. Really doesn't sound like him to come in for nothing like that (at least nothing by his standards)
    At this point in his career it could come down to a playing time/ego/wanting to win thing. He's already super rich; if LAG can give him anywhere close to $1 mil per year using TAM, he may take it.

Plus, LA weather/lifestyle > Manchester weather/lifestyle.

But yeah, this move would have made much more sense for both parties last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think tactics are overrated in football. You play your best XI. They'll go 3-4-3 or something to make this work.

I am surprised Ibra would do this for TAM money. Really doesn't sound like him to come in for nothing like that (at least nothing by his standards)
    If you think tactics are overrated, ask USMNT players and fans about the lineup they threw out against T&T. Basically their best lineup, it just included no central midfield.

The notion of "play your best players and keep the team happy" being a winning formula in this sport hasn't been true since the early 2000's. It's an incredibility tactical game now. You can't get away with playing THREE forwards who play no defense at all, not to mention one of them. That'd be a disaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you think tactics are overrated, ask USMNT players and fans about the lineup they threw out against T&T. Basically their best lineup, it just included no central midfield.

The notion of "play your best players and keep the team happy" being a winning formula in this sport hasn't been true since the early 2000's. It's an incredibility tactical game now. You can't get away with playing THREE forwards who play no defense at all, not to mention one of them. That'd be a disaster.
    They can play a 7-3 formation.

That should solve any defensive worries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More likely they use discretionary TAM to buy down one of their current DPs and sign Zlatan as a DP. Can't see how it would work otherwise unless they make a handshake deal where they make him the highest paid academy coach in the world for a couple months after he retires

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    More likely they use discretionary TAM to buy down one of their current DPs and sign Zlatan as a DP. Can't see how it would work otherwise unless they make a handshake deal where they make him the highest paid academy coach in the world for a couple months after he retires
    Alessaindrini is just about out of range for TAM. They have no spots to buy down. One of them would need to be sold

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alessaindrini is just about out of range for TAM. They have no spots to buy down. One of them would need to be sold
    There's an additional 2.8 million in discretionary TAM now on top of the 1.2 million already available. Maybe not the best use of resources, but if the union numbers are accurate, they could easily use 2m on Alessandrini and still have quite a bit to spare

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESPN article says Zlatan will be a TAM player. LA is going to rely on Sponsors paying him what his "real" salary demands are. He wouln't be a DP for the Galaxy
    2020 Away Days: San Jose (Feb 29)
    2019 Away Days:
    Philadelphia (March 2), Montreal (July 13, September 18), New York City (October 23), Atlanta (October 30), Seattle MLS CUP (November 10)
    2018 Away Days: Monterrey MX (March 13), Mexico City (April 10), Guadalajara MX (April 25), Montreal (Oct 21)
    2017 Away Days
    : Salt Lake City, Philly, LA, ATL, NJ, Columbus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be cheating, but ok.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djcuse View Post
    ESPN article says Zlatan will be a TAM player. LA is going to rely on Sponsors paying him what his "real" salary demands are. He wouln't be a DP for the Galaxy
    Ha. Been a while since we've the the Galaxy Special Rules Committee in action!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can look at any one game to make any argument. We played 3-5-2 all season, then switched to 4-4-2 in the final, to get the best XI for that game out there. (Thank god we won, or we would have had 20 threads on here about how Vanney blew the tactics. Funny how little is said when it works though!)

I feel this argument about 21st century sophistication is used to fill endless column inches in UK dailies, usually to explain losses not victories. But it doesn't bear scrutiny.

Guardiola does not even think in formation terms. He played an 0-10-0 at Barca and much of his time at Bayern. He still interchanges midfield and attackers all the time at MNC. He basically does what the Dutch did in the 1970s. It works because of the personnel.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-29-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can look at any one game to make any argument. We played 3-5-2 all season, then switched to 4-4-2 in the final, to get the best XI for that game out there. (Thank god we won, or we would have had 20 threads on here about how Vanney blew the tactics. Funny how little is said when it works though!)

I feel this argument about 21st century sophistication is used to fill endless column inches in UK dailies, but doesn't bear scrutiny.

Guardiola played an 0-10-0 at Barca and much of his time at Bayern. He still interchanges midfield and attackers all the time at MNC. He basically does what the Dutch did in the 1970s. It works because of the personnel.
    Vanney's tactical switch was entirely about gaining an upperhand by having extra guys in certain spaces, not to get Osorio's talent out there.

Guordiola's "0-10-0" as you call it was (and is still now at city even if its a little tweaked) incredibly rigid in terms of each player having very specific instructions as to where to run and when. The comparison to Cruyuff and his Total Football strategy will always be incredibly flawed and misleading. He for sure took some ides from him but their teams are almost nothing alike. A much more apt comparison for Pep is Valeriy Lobanovskyi's Dynamo Kyev teams.

If you think tactics don't matter 1000X times more than they did 20 decades ago I suggest you go back and watch a game from the 90's or 80's. It's a different sport.
    Last edited by molenshtain; 01-29-2018 at 09:31 AM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guardiola does not even think in formation terms. He played an 0-10-0 at Barca and much of his time at Bayern. He still interchanges midfield and attackers all the time at MNC. He basically does what the Dutch did in the 1970s. It works because of the personnel.
    You are correct that Pep has his players do fluid transitions and stacks the midfield. But I've just read "Pep Confidential" and I can tell you that he absolutely does think in terms of formations, it's just that the formations are fluid and shift between attack and defense (both those things Vanney has emulated to a large extent, you can tell that he's studied Pep's way of doing things).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange one this re Ibra. Utd took up the 1 yr extension to his contract when he was injured not before it. He came back for them in Nov and in all honesty looked terrible, really far of the pace, then got re-injured and has been out for a month. If Utd let him go now, they will basically have paid him and get nothing for it on that 1 yr extension. He did take a pay cut on that extended contract, but he's still on something around 125,000 pounds a week. Utd need to get some wages of the bill I guess with the arrival of Sanchez. Wages aside, it's his fitness more than anything would be the concern. He hasn't shown he has recovered from that terrible injury he had. I think they underestimated that to a degree and i think he was rushed back, esp considering his age.The man is a legend, if he could get back to full fitness it's a no brainer, but I can't see it.Teams like LA want a big name, but no use having one if he can't play. Factor in the travelling involved in mls, the turf pitches, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    Strange one this re Ibra. Utd took up the 1 yr extension to his contract when he was injured not before it. He came back for them in Nov and in all honesty looked terrible, really far of the pace, then got re-injured and has been out for a month. If Utd let him go now, they will basically have paid him and get nothing for it on that 1 yr extension. He did take a pay cut on that extended contract, but he's still on something around 125,000 pounds a week. Utd need to get some wages of the bill I guess with the arrival of Sanchez. Wages aside, it's his fitness more than anything would be the concern. He hasn't shown he has recovered from that terrible injury he had. I think they underestimated that to a degree and i think he was rushed back, esp considering his age.The man is a legend, if he could get back to full fitness it's a no brainer, but I can't see it.Teams like LA want a big name, but no use having one if he can't play. Factor in the travelling involved in mls, the turf pitches, etc.
    Yup, I have to agree. As others said, last year was the time to do it. This year he'll be an anchor on the Galaxy on the pitch. Will be fun to have his personality in the league though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you think tactics don't matter 1000X times more than they did 20 decades ago I suggest you go back and watch a game from the 90's or 80's. It's a different sport.
    You're right, in the 1790s the most popular game was cricket.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djcuse View Post
    That would be cheating, but ok.
    We don't really know what the salary cap rules are. (Plus they can still be torqued, as ensco mentioned.) What if Ibra gets some advertising or sponsorship opportunities, independently from his contract with the Galaxy?

There are lots of things I'm unclear about. E.g. Gregory van der Wiel and Rose Betram were sitting in courtside Raptors seats last night. How much are those seats worth, especially since MLSE owns both teams & the arena? Since vdW won't be a DP, his total salary will matter incl. any TAM shenanigans. Will the value of those courtside seats be included, and many other freebies from MLSE? What if Drake invites him to an after-game party, how much is that worth? (vdW is a Drake fan.)