Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    The lead up to the first. Changes the whole game.
    Just re-watched it... no question that the foul wasn’t called and the MLS panel can make excuses. Ridiculous and just BS for their panel to say Osorio ran into Roldan. But credit to Seattle, they then put together eight maybe nine passes. We could have taken a foul, stopped the play and re-grouped. The deflection was bad luck.

Hard to watch the loss but better than the feeling after 2016.

Love the team and loved the game, clearly disappointed Just hope MLSE keeps the investment and we are back for another final.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GerMc View Post
    This.

I was there with 3 generations of my family. Reffing aside, we didn’t finish in the first half when we dominated play. And Seattle did in the second half when they got their chances.

Glad to be there to support our team. And there is always next year!

On top of that my wife got a 10 sec cameo on national TV in Canada just before the third goal. When I figure it how to post a video I will.

And also got David Miller to prank my family at dinner after the game. We have to take what we can on days like these!
    Was your wife wearing glasses and had a grey TFC hat one? The camera was certainly on her for a while.

You are correct that we didn't finish in their end. That's where we missed Jozy the most. Aside from the Benezet shot in the first half, the shots were easily saved by Frei.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stadium sounded great. Respect to everyone that made it out to support.
    Last edited by wopchop; 11-10-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO this squad overachieved making it this far to the finals. Hats off to Vanney and the boys. No one saw this coming when Seba and Vazquez left and Curtis really did fuck all (Pozo and Gonzalez = great, no striker and goal threats, wide players = bad)
    Last edited by shwade; 11-11-2019 at 02:46 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alejandro Pozuelo put on a show yesterday. He had Seattle running around at least five times, was going 1 on 3 into a phone booth and winning. It was breathtaking. They were scared, and it was because of him.

Had we won, it would have been more memorable than any individual TFC performance in any of the cup finals.

What a player.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough loss, but the lads left it all on the pitch. As always, we will be there on opening day 2020. #AllForOne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Alejandro Pozuelo put on a show yesterday. He had Seattle running around at least five times, was going 1 on 3 into a phone booth and winning. It was breathtaking. They were scared, and it was because of him.

Had we won, it would have been more memorable than any individual TFC performance in any of the cup finals.

What a player.
    And Vanney was playing him as a winger before Jozy got injured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeRo2015 View Post
    Tough loss, but the lads left it all on the pitch. As always, we will be there on opening day 2020. #AllForOne
    I just wanted to thank you guys for coming out to our city. Before the game I wished several of you good luck and looked forward to good football. Your team played some excellent football during the first half and were clearly better at passing which kinda threw our team off at first because we're usually the better team at passing particularly at home. Schmetzer clearly had prepared the team to come out swinging but your guys didn't really let us do much of that in the first half, though we had some excellent chances. I know its cliche but football is a tale of two halves and since Schmetzer took over for Sigi he has been very good with his halftime locker room talks and changes. This game was no exception. We've seen the Sounders win many games this way since he took over. It almost doesn't matter what players he has on the pitch. Schmetzer is from Seattle, his family owned a soccer shop for decades. He is a lifelong Sounder, he played for the club as a teenager in the NASL back in the 80s, coached the USL Sounders to championships and most of us thought he was going to be the head coach when the MLS team was announced. He has also been a lifelong ECS member. Greg Vanney may be superior tactics wise but Schemtzer is a brilliant man manager and a loved figure throughout the city and state.

Your team is good but just needs that extra x-factor up top. If you had that you probably would have won this game.

We've been spoiled in that we always replace our attacking talent with as good or better so when players like Obafemi Martins and Nelson Valdez and Clint Dempsey were gone we got guys like Lodeiro from the Uruguay national team, Rodriguez (who had Barcelona youth experience), Ruidiaz who won the golden boot in Liga MX. Now there are rumors Luis Suarez may join his friend Lodeiro in Seattle:

Pozeulo is a hell of a player. Good LORD! We were lucky Altidore was injured but we don't rate Omar Gonzalez as highly as you do as he is prone to mistakes and we call him "derpy" due to how he can get exposed at times so I for one was happy he started over Ciman. I think if Altidore and Ciman could have started for you we'd have gone to extra time probably at 2-2. Then who knows what would have happened? Thats football though. It's why we love and hate the game at the same time.

Speaking of love, we have nothing but love for your supporters and fans. Got some pics with some of you too. Also there was one point I could here the Dichio song being sung loudly. Your supporters are the class of the fans from the East and despite all the stuff MLS TV tries to tell us (over and over) about Atlanta and LAFC being some new era of MLS we will never forget that you guys set the example for what MLS could be, before Cascadia entered the league and that allowed us to bring our passion into MLS to the fullest without restrictions! For that I for one am grateful. Hope you enjoyed your stay in Seattle (minus the result), and the free Macklemore concert in the square before the massive march to the match. Hope you liked our full stadium tifo that ECS organized. It was the first time ECS did a whole stadium tifo display. Hope you liked hearing the original "Boom Boom Clap" with close to 70,000 as well. Most of all, I hope we can meet again next year.

Let's just keep this cup between us. Two great cities, two great towers, two great clubs, two great teams, two great supporter bases, two great coaches, two future dynasties. Eternal Blue, Forever Green see you next year.
    Last edited by RaveGreen; 11-11-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reaction from the players on the non-call that led to the first goal https://www.thestar.com/sports/tfc/2...p-letdown.html

Jozy not holding back (he's 100% accurate):
    “We know that,” Altidore said. “We know that the standard of MLS refereeing is next to horrible, so you can’t count on them bailing you out on anything.”

Bradley ultimately chalked it up to being a part of the game.

“Obviously in the moment, sure, it’s frustration that a play that a lot of us on the field thought was a foul wasn’t called, but that’s football.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proud of this team. We were on the verge of not making the playoffs and this team of warriors took us to the MLS Cup finals.

Perhaps victory wouldn't taste as sweet without the agony of defeat? We'll be back soon enough.

Heroes often fail.

Toronto till I die.
    Last edited by TFC/Everton; 11-11-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The part about the whole "no call" that really pisses me off is the discussion from MLS'ers that those calls are never given in the playoffs even if they would be in regular season.

So the rules change for playoffs? What the hell kind of BS is that?

A foul is a foul is a foul. Doesn't matter when it happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flambe View Post
    The part about the whole "no call" that really pisses me off is the discussion from MLS'ers that those calls are never given in the playoffs even if they would be in regular season.

So the rules change for playoffs? What the hell kind of BS is that?

A foul is a foul is a foul. Doesn't matter when it happens.
    Unfortunately this is a North American attitude. You got to be "tougher"(read as "manlier") in the post season because it matters more. This happens in hockey and basketball post seasons egregiously.
    Last edited by Richard; 11-11-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RaveGreen View Post
    I just wanted to thank you guys for coming out to our city. Before the game I wished several of you good luck and looked forward to good football. Your team played some excellent football during the first half and were clearly better at passing which kinda threw our team off at first because we're usually the better team at passing particularly at home. Schmetzer clearly had prepared the team to come out swinging but your guys didn't really let us do much of that in the first half, though we had some excellent chances. I know its cliche but football is a tale of two halves and since Schmetzer took over for Sigi he has been very good with his halftime locker room talks and changes. This game was no exception. We've seen the Sounders win many games this way since he took over. It almost doesn't matter what players he has on the pitch. Schmetzer is from Seattle, his family owned a soccer shop for decades. He is a lifelong Sounder, he played for the club as a teenager in the NASL back in the 80s, coached the USL Sounders to championships and most of us thought he was going to be the head coach when the MLS team was announced. He has also been a lifelong ECS member. Greg Vanney may be superior tactics wise but Schemtzer is a brilliant man manager and a loved figure throughout the city and state.

Your team is good but just needs that extra x-factor up top. If you had that you probably would have won this game.

We've been spoiled in that we always replace our attacking talent with as good or better so when players like Obafemi Martins and Nelson Valdez and Clint Dempsey were gone we got guys like Lodeiro from the Uruguay national team, Rodriguez (who had Barcelona youth experience), Ruidiaz who won the golden boot in Liga MX. Now there are rumors Luis Suarez may join his friend Lodeiro in Seattle:

Pozeulo is a hell of a player. Good LORD! We were lucky Altidore was injured but we don't rate Omar Gonzalez as highly as you do as he is prone to mistakes and we call him "derpy" due to how he can get exposed at times so I for one was happy he started over Ciman. I think if Altidore and Ciman could have started for you we'd have gone to extra time probably at 2-2. Then who knows what would have happened? Thats football though. It's why we love and hate the game at the same time.

Speaking of love, we have nothing but love for your supporters and fans. Got some pics with some of you too. Also there was one point I could here the Dichio song being sung loudly. Your supporters are the class of the fans from the East and despite all the stuff MLS TV tries to tell us (over and over) about Atlanta and LAFC being some new era of MLS we will never forget that you guys set the example for what MLS could be, before Cascadia entered the league and that allowed us to bring our passion into MLS to the fullest without restrictions! For that I for one am grateful. Hope you enjoyed your stay in Seattle (minus the result), and the free Macklemore concert in the square before the massive march to the match. Hope you liked our full stadium tifo that ECS organized. It was the first time ECS did a whole stadium tifo display. Hope you liked hearing the original "Boom Boom Clap" with close to 70,000 as well. Most of all, I hope we can meet again next year.

Let's just keep this cup between us. Two great cities, two great towers, two great clubs, two great teams, two great supporter bases, two great coaches, two future dynasties. Eternal Blue, Forever Green see you next year.
    Thanks for the kind words. Every single Sounder fan I talked to was very nice at yesterday’s game. I was saying this to some of their fans at a pre drink. We don’t hate Seattle fans. It’s healthy rivalry. Montreal on the other hand...

Gotta score in the first half. I had a bad feeling about the game at half time. You leave yourself open to stuff like the own goal happening when you don’t capitalize. And I’m a firm believer that a lot of finals are determined by the team who “losses” the game, not the team who wins it. The 1st and 3rd goals were bad errors that the Sounders didn’t make all night. That’s your difference. Proud of the away support. The national anthem gave me chills. Let’s see what we do this off season. Getting higher up the standings, and playing at BMO will be important for us next season. Winning 3 straight road games is asking a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get that the foul in that moment sucked and was probably the wrong call. But it was hardly a lightning quick counter. We had plenty of time to adjust and defend properly even if we were aggrieved. The defending in that moment was not sharp enough. We’d be fooling ourselves to say we lost yesterday because of the officials.

That said, I’ll completely agree Alan Kelly and PRO are garbage. They really need to sit down and start talking about some of the “finer” points of the game. Things like Lee-hee crashing through the back of Pozuelo and raking his achilles while not even getting a card is just crazy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Unfortunately this is a North American attitude. You got to be "tougher"(read as "manlier") in the post season because it matters more. This happens in hockey and basketball post seasons egregiously.
    I dunno about it being a "North American" thing. I've seen it in various footy tournaments and finals, when refs seem to swallow the whistle, and go easier on the cards. Karate kick to the chest in the 2010 Word Cup final (Netherlands - Spain) comes to mind as a slightly more extreme example.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently that was Morrow's first own goal in a 10-year career???????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Apparently that was Morrow's first own goal in a 10-year career???????
    Wow that sucks that yesterday was the day for that to happen.

It was incredibly unlucky for the ball to first go off mavinga and then morrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I wasn't exactly sober yesterday and I'll need to find a way to re-watch this when I'm ready, but from what I recall Seattle earned it. For all our possession did we ever have any clear-cut chances? Sounders had the better looks throughout the game and ultimately just about deserved it (I will say that 3-0 was really really harsh though, glad Altidore at least got one back)

Losing this absolutely sucked even though I was expecting it. But they deserved their win.

Let's make sure we have a productive offseason so we can be at or near the top of the league and host the final again

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    Honestly, I wasn't exactly sober yesterday and I'll need to find a way to re-watch this when I'm ready, but from what I recall Seattle earned it. For all our possession did we ever have any clear-cut chances? Sounders had the better looks throughout the game and ultimately just about deserved it (I will say that 3-0 was really really harsh though, glad Altidore at least got one back)

Losing this absolutely sucked even though I was expecting it. But they deserved their win.

Let's make sure we have a productive offseason so we can be at or near the top of the league and host the final again
    Yeah we had clear-cut chances. Benezet had a good shot & a good save by Frei. 8 cm farther to the right, that's a goal. Osorio had an open look inside the box, and shot it straight at the keeper. There were a couple more decent chances, but I can't remember exactly. I can't watch the replay yet; too painful.

But we definitely didn't create enough chances considering the amount of possession and great buildup in the opposing half. Again too much passing around inside the box. (You take it! No you take it! No you!) And finishing was bad on the attempts that were made.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RaveGreen View Post

——————-

Thank you. We appreciate that you remember the beginnings of all this- we don’t get much credit for the beginnings of a proper soccer culture emerging here. A lot of people here put a lot of work into that, and still do.

You were all gracious hosts. Your description of how the game went is very fair.

What a stadium btw. Wow.

See you all again, soon I hope.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Yeah we had clear-cut chances. Benezet had a good shot & a good save by Frei. 8 cm farther to the right, that's a goal. Osorio had an open look inside the box, and shot it straight at the keeper. There were a couple more decent chances, but I can't remember exactly. I can't watch the replay yet; too painful.

But we definitely didn't create enough chances considering the amount of possession and great buildup in the opposing half. Again too much passing around inside the box. (You take it! No you take it! No you!) And finishing was bad on the attempts that were made.
    One of the issues was that Schemtzer had his players pack the middle of the pitch, which made it hard to cross the ball in and meant that our wingers had to pass back to get it in the middle. It also made it difficult for Pozuelo as a false 9 trying to receive the ball in the middle. He only managed to get the ball (most of the time) when he drifted to the side, where he was much less dangerous. Great strategy by Schemtzer, taking advantage of our limited personnel.

Vanney could have countered with a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2, and Pozuelo as supplier (like VV) , but guess what ? He didn't even have one decent striker to play let alone two. So either he did what he did and hope to score enough to overcome the inevitable goal against, or bunker down in a 4-5-1 and hope to win on penalties. Given TFC's history with penalties he made the obvious choice.

I still think if TFC got the first goal, TFC wins.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-11-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"lucky"... They deservedly won.
    If they didn't. Then by your words. We were lucky to beat NYCFC. With Pozeulo two goals. And even more lucky against Atlanta. As there attacking was the same as ours in the final.
    We lost to the champions. Take it with respect

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t know if I speak for anyone else who was there, but as a member of the traveling support, that was painful. I am gutted.

It's tough to be sanguine when you have come all this way and your team delivers.

We were terrific, the better team for most of the game.

It is a cruel sport.
    That’s how I felt. Haven’t even been able to look at the news these boards or anything else. Totally gutted.

Seattle deserved to win because they took their chances and we did not. But the first and third goals were clear fouls. If Bradley against Atlanta is a penalty the third for Seattle was a yellow, and the first the Seattle guy was channeling the worst of Brad Marchand.

I wondered at the time, and still do, why we didn’t make a change at half time - and for me it would have been Jozy for Benezet. We controlled the game but no real scoring threat. Bringing on Jozy would have really made Seattle question themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    That’s how I felt. Haven’t even been able to look at the news these boards or anything else. Totally gutted.

Seattle deserved to win because they took their chances and we did not. But the first and third goals were clear fouls. If Bradley against Atlanta is a penalty the third for Seattle was a yellow, and the first the Seattle guy was channeling the worst of Brad Marchand.

I wondered at the time, and still do, why we didn’t make a change at half time - and for me it would have been Jozy for Benezet. We controlled the game but no real scoring threat. Bringing on Jozy would have really made Seattle question themselves.
    Jozy hadn't played in over a month. I am sure if Vanney felt he could go a whole half he would have been in there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post

It's not the fouls or nonfouls. They are the symptom.

The thing that has made me nauseous here, and I guarantee you Bradley and Altidore and the other veteran guys are thinking this today.... is that we have made it to four major finals in three years and clearly been the better team every time.

But we only have one goddamn trophy to show for it.

This was/is a special team, a team for the ages, that has been cruelly deprived of its due by a whole series of fluke/random crap things happening.

I will do a longer post on this when I have calmed down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was/is a special team, a team for the ages, that has been cruelly deprived of its due by a whole series of fluke/random crap things happening.
    Very true!

One more final to go (no matter if we'll make it in 2020 or just sometime in the next 10 years), and if we'll again lose there will be 1 winner in just 5 finals, and then IMO we better should never qualify for a final, because it's a curse, and everybody outside Toronto will call TFC "The final chokers".
    (Voyagers cup finals of course do not count).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case you think the comments seem light here...

Not sure many people realize this, but most of the support have had a nightmare situation getting home, massive delays and cancellations... many are not back yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not the fouls or nonfouls. They are the symptom.

The thing that has made me nauseous here, and I guarantee you Bradley and Altidore and the other veteran guys are thinking this today.... is that we have made it to four major finals in three years and clearly been the better team every time.

But we only have one goddamn trophy to show for it.

I will do a longer post on this when I have calmed down.
    True. And we look forward to your thoughts.

But on the day, we did not take our chances. And I still think Vanney should have taken a risk at halftime - for me with Jozy, maybe Jozy and Laryea. Something to be able to penetrate the defence - we controlled without threatening.

But this is a bit sour grapey - Seattle beat us because they scored. Period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case you think the comments seem light here...

Not sure many people realize this, but most of the support have had a nightmare situation getting home, massive delays and cancellations... many are not back yet.
    There was a whole bunch of people grabbing an early Seattle to Toronto flight this morning. Not sure if that was planned on all their part or not.