Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker View Post
    Good news.... no USMNT call ups for September friendlies (vs. Mexico and Uruguay).
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...co-and-uruguay

OG, Bradley, and Jozy all available for Cincinnati and NYCFC games. Let's see who gets called up for Canada (probably Osorio at least)
    ...and CMNT call ups are out now too..... Osorio, Laryea, and Fraser.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auro better not go down injured....otherwise its Morrow on the right basically being an inverted FB going forward.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Auro better not go down injured....otherwise its Morrow on the right basically being an inverted FB going forward.
    Not preferable obviously but I think Deleon played RB for a bit for DC did he not? Might also be able to fill in should we need it in a pinch. Likely it would be Ashtone coming in though and Morrow moving over like you said.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver in Montreal tonight

Fully expect Montreal to win that one. They will be tied with us but played 2 more games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some reason, I'm expecting a 0-0 tie...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doniel own goal klaxon

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal win 2-1 because a Tos goal for Vancouver got called back for infringement. Tos did well at points and set up the one goal Vancouver did have that counted. Neither side as a whole played all that well. With this result, Montreal knocks TFC out of a playoff position, for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Not preferable obviously but I think Deleon played RB for a bit for DC did he not? Might also be able to fill in should we need it in a pinch. Likely it would be Ashtone coming in though and Morrow moving over like you said.
    Yeah Deleon could play RB, I think he even played rb or lb once this year for tfc in a 3-5-2.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Athletic story about Houston's woes - paywalled.

https://theathletic.com/1171290/2019...ns-for-change/

Biggest takeaway - Houston actually drawing only 3-4K a game & its most diehard of fans are leaving while the team says they want to build a bigger supporter section (Houston has been bringing in paid for drummers for years now)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Athletic story about Houston's woes - paywalled.

https://theathletic.com/1171290/2019...ns-for-change/

Biggest takeaway - Houston actually drawing only 3-4K a game & its most diehard of fans are leaving while the team says they want to build a bigger supporter section (Houston has been bringing in paid for drummers for years now)
    From what I see online, Houston has the same issue all the low performing teams share - terrible ownership. Most of those also correlate to MLS 1.0 cities but that's a whole other can of worms.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    From what I see online, Houston has the same issue all the low performing teams share - terrible ownership. Most of those also correlate to MLS 1.0 cities but that's a whole other can of worms.
    In Houston's case, 1.0 ownership sold to somebody unwilling to spend who doesn't feel the need to understand the market (the president last run the Memphis Grizzlies of the NBA).

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Houston's case, 1.0 ownership sold to somebody unwilling to spend who doesn't feel the need to understand the market (the president last run the Memphis Grizzlies of the NBA).
    What they need is an owner to come in like KC did, and totally revamp things. KC was getting less than 10k attendance at the old ball park yet look at them now.

One problem with single entity is that an owner can make money from revenue sharing (ie SUM revenues) even if he runs his team into the ground, so there's not much incentive for a cheapskate owner to run things well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In post Pozuelo news

Genk made it to the Champions League 32 group - they are in a group with Liverpool, Napoli & Jesse Marsch's unbeaten Salzburg Energy Drinks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats with all the MLSPA profile pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    whats with all the MLSPA profile pics
    Showing a united front ahead of CBA negotiations. They can't bend over for the owners like they did last time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In post Pozuelo news

Genk made it to the Champions League 32 group - they are in a group with Liverpool, Napoli & Jesse Marsch's unbeaten Salzburg Energy Drinks
    Interesting. This development may be showing up in Pozo's play lately.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Athletic put up a profile piece on John Bostock today. Following his career and all the stops he's had. Here's what he said about TFC:

Following that flurry of loan moves into all three divisions of the Football League, the chance to play in MLS with Toronto – where he was part of a squad that also included Robert Earnshaw – helped Bostock learn something about competitive spirit.

“Canada was my last loan, when I was still at Spurs. That was under Ryan Nelson, the former Spurs player. He was head coach there at the time,” says Bostock. “He got the manager’s job at Toronto and he asked me to go over there and play.

“It was interesting, having four or five months out there, all of which was valuable experience.

“Canada is very different. MLS had a stigma attached to it at the time, but going out there to play and compete was brilliant and compete was the right word. The Americans and Canadians have the same frame of mind out there – competition is absolutely everything. In any sport, it is all about winning.

“Seeing the way they prepared and went about their work was a real eye opener for me.

“I am glad I experienced it, I have fond memories from my time in Toronto.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryan Telfer decided to join Trinidad and Tobego after not getting a call up from Canada. He's now cap tied to them

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Ryan Telfer decided to join Trinidad and Tobego after not getting a call up from Canada. He's now cap tied to them
    Holy shit that sucks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Holy shit that sucks!
    meh good for him.. no chance he would be making a CMNT comprtition of any note with all due respect to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    meh good for him.. no chance he would be making a CMNT comprtition of any note with all due respect to him.
    On the flip side, imagine being so deep that a promising winger decided his only chance at being capped is choosing Trinidad over Canada.

When is the last time you could say that about CMNT?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What do you guys think it will take to win the whole thing this year?

With only a few games left in the regular season, it looks like the Montreal Impact is the only team that we are playing until the end including a tough game against the New York City FC, and then the Columbus Crew in October. We already have a playoff spot, so we need to continue to win, do you guys think its possible to make the playoffs???

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the "I don't think its going to happen camp" The defence has too many issues & I see some weakness right in front of them with way too much attempting to pass it out when sometimes it should just be hoofed to the sides.

The test for me is these next 2 games. NYC is the best in the East right now - Colorado, since they fired their coach back in the spring, has been playing like a playoff quality team - Fraser has made them even better (and he knows us). I think we go through that with 0 points and put the pressure right back on this team (and it can't handle pressure right now).

The Voyageurs is another matter - we won't win that easily but that is a MUST for this organization and it will be all hands on deck for the 2nd game here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    On the flip side, imagine being so deep that a promising winger decided his only chance at being capped is choosing Trinidad over Canada.

Is he a "promising winger"? Telfer, dont forget is soon to be 26 years old. He is what he is. Good luck to him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure people are getting the joke re Telfer. He made a rational decision.

T&T qualified for the WC only 12 years ago (ie in Telfer's lifetime, unlike us) and aren’t all that different than us. A bit lower in the rankings right now, and unlikely to make it to WC 2022, but how likely is Canada, really?

Their manager played in that WC and was a key player for a very good Swansea team for years, and frankly has a better pedigree than Herdman.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post

There have been a few guys around this quality that have switched to smaller national teams. One was a former TFC player who subsequently played in RSL’s system (name escapes me).

Anywho, we’ve picked up our share as well. Arfield and most recently Eustáquio (who is a big win).

I’m okay with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    There have been a few guys around this quality that have switched to smaller national teams. One was a former TFC player who subsequently played in RSL’s system (name escapes me).

Anywho, we’ve picked up our share as well. Arfield and most recently Eustáquio (who is a big win).

I’m okay with it.
    Welshman for Guyana I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the "I don't think its going to happen camp" The defence has too many issues & I see some weakness right in front of them with way too much attempting to pass it out when sometimes it should just be hoofed to the sides.

The test for me is these next 2 games. NYC is the best in the East right now - Colorado, since they fired their coach back in the spring, has been playing like a playoff quality team - Fraser has made them even better (and he knows us). I think we go through that with 0 points and put the pressure right back on this team (and it can't handle pressure right now).

The Voyageurs is another matter - we won't win that easily but that is a MUST for this organization and it will be all hands on deck for the 2nd game here.
    We probably need only 5-6 more points to make the playoffs. I think we can pick those points up. Knock on wood.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Welshman for Guyana I think.
    That’s the one.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am not sure people are getting the joke re Telfer. He made a rational decision.

T&T qualified for the WC only 12 years ago (ie in Telfer's lifetime, unlike us) and aren’t all that different than us. A bit lower in the rankings right now, and unlikely to make it to WC 2022, but how likely is Canada, really?

Their manager played in that WC and was a key player for a very good Swansea team for years, and frankly has a better pedigree than Herdman.
    This is how a number of players feel, where who you represent is who gives you the biggest advantage.

Some of us feel that the country that actually gave you your advantages deserves you representing them, rather than your grandfather's country, and would respectfully disagree.

Now I've seen it argued that Canada is so deep in his position that Telfer couldn't even hope for a sniff at the CMNT. In that case, it's understandable. However, he shouldn't count as a "domestic" player any more for the CPL. The whole purpose of having the CPL is to help the CMNT.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto