Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    as long as DeRo understands there is no I in Team, and he does what Nelsen tells him to, I don't care how he tries to outperform other players
    Agreed, I think he's the only one to worry about though. There is always an M and an E in team and he has an I on the back of his jersey

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelsen addressed this last year already.

Managing a room full of alpha males is not easy. He relies up on the one commonality they all seem to have - they want to work hard in training and on the pitch to get somewhere.

Without that, they don't stay and they don't play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not to open the whole DeRo thing up again (lord no), but from some of the responses here I'd have to guess that if your boss promised you a raise/promotion, then basically told you to go F yourself, you'd all keep at your desk plugging away without making a peep about it to your co-workers or wanting to work elsewhere right?......and let's never forget he was dealing with Mo friggin' Johnson.....

DeRo himself said that after 5 minutes of conversation he could see that the culture at TFC has changed....let's give him the benefit of the doubt that he has made some changes too......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley needs to be made Captain, and everyone else not named Defoe, needs to shut the fuck up and follow. Keep it simple stupid.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    not to open the whole DeRo thing up again (lord no), ....
    Then don't. What's done was done.

The issue people are raising is about who he is now. And having heard him interviewed, I'm not sure he has wrapped his head around somebody bigger in the dressing room pecking order who will demand the ball and shoot on site (Defoe) and another guy bigger in the dressing room pecking order who will demand the ball and make moves (Gilberto) and another guy bigger in the dressing room pecking order who will demand the ball back in order to spread things out rather then shoot from way out (Bradley).

I hope he can relearn to focus on passing cause if he gets in and starts shooting from outside the box like he has done for the last few seasons, Gilberto and Defoe and Bradley will, and rightly so, put him down a peg.

The first free kick from a good position is going to be interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    What's done was done.
    exactly....yet people still harp on it......

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think naming the Right Captain will help.

The Manager manages, The Captain leads.

I don't think I would name one now, let the preseason determine who the leaders (Captain) will be.

This will be Neilsens biggest test because he has no excuse with the team signings.

I still like Caldwell as the Captain carried over from last year.

If one of the new signings wants to be Captain they'll have to earn it not get it because of past experience or popularity.

It'll still no doubt be a huge task for Neilsen either way.

GlenM
    "You play to win the game"

Herm Edwards - Former NFL Coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Leiweke's experience with Ruud Gullit showed that the big name manager for big time players theory was a bust. That said, RN is no Bruce Arena. If the team underperforms, it's likely RN will go and seems RN already knows that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell got the captaincy after O'Dea left. He keeps it until he offers it up or leaves.

Who was the alternate last season? I think it only switched when Caldwell was red carded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GlenM View Post
    I still like Caldwell as the Captain carried over from last year.

If one of the new signings wants to be Captain they'll have to earn it not get it because of past experience or popularity.
    me too.....the vets/DP's will have their vocal influence regardless of being Captain or not.....

imo, a good teams starts with an organized defense.....and having a defender as Captain just emphasizes that point.......always been a fan of GK's and defenders wearing the armband.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell should remain captain. He hasn't done anything to warrant captaincy being "taken away". Other big clubs commonly have their experienced CB as captain, like John Terry at Chelsea, while they have other "star players" who clearly would make more money and get all the headlines. Caldwell has more experience than Bradley, even though Bradley is the better overall player, but Cadlwell has done a good job so far and appears to be respected.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post
    What if RN becomes part of this entourage?
    Could happen. Who knows?

It's not the way I'd bet it.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think his biggest problem is that he's still the club's best centre back, and we need him! Glass knees aside

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a 100% restart. Bradley is the captain from the first second of training camp. I'd bet money on it.

The debate is interesting, but Caldwell has been here for only six months, and sure, he did a nice job, but it won't matter now, he wasn't really part of anything that mattered.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley may not be a back but he is just about as good a defender as we have. I think you bring Bradley in to be the guy, you need to make him the guy. That is what he would likely want.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Bradley may not be a back but he is just about as good a defender as we have. I think you bring Bradley in to be the guy, you need to make him the guy. That is what he would likely want.
    Yeah I agree with this. Very hard to picture anything but Bradley being the captain.

Caldwell did an admirable job under the circumstances, but things have changed. We brought in a superior footballer with obvious captaincy qualities who we are clearly building around. This isn't an extension of last years TFC, it is something new and the captaincy will go in a different direction as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's simple. Bradley is your general, your leader, your best player and he should be your first captain from day 1. Teams name 3 captains and for TFC they should be, in my opinion, Bradley, Caldwell and Dero. I am sure Caldwell won't have a problem with Bradley being the captain. To be honest I will be shocked if Bradley is not the captain on March 15th.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except.......TFC has been talking about how these are additions to the strong core we have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Captaincy is not necessarily about footballing skill or pedigree, it's about leadership. Caldwell was captain at Burnley and Birmingham before coming here - he is a leader.

Personally I think handing the captaincy over to Bradley sends the wrong message. It says we are making decisions based on reputation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dero is here to prove something. I want him to prove something.

Why do so many around here think its a bad thing to have someone so motivated and determined. DERO brings passion to this team. Something we lacked outside of Osario for a while now.

If we are down 1-0 with 5 minutes to go, Dero is the man I want out there with Defoe and Bradley. (until Gilberto or someone else proves otherwise)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is a 100% restart. Bradley is the captain from the first second of training camp. I'd bet money on it.

The debate is interesting, but Caldwell has been here for only six months, and sure, he did a nice job, but it won't matter now, he wasn't really part of anything that mattered.
    Except that he set the tone in the locker room. There was a lot of reason for players to bitch to the press (Ecks, Frei, Bekker) but you didn't see the sort of locker room drama like previous regimes, and I think Caldwell set that professionalism. Caldwell was captain in 2 other clubs. I don't think Bradley has been team captain yet. Caldwell is also here for another 2 seasons.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the great things about the new additions is that we have gone from a relative lack of clubhouse leadership to where there will be an number of proven leaders. Defoe may be quiet, but from everything I've read, he leads by example: first on the field for practice, last off, quiet and intense and willing to work where ever the coach wants him. Bradley clearly brings a history of on field leadership, DeRo in his own, sometimes out of step way, brings a hunger to succeed. Caldwell has proven himself in a tough season to be capable of holding the dressing room together and captained a team that may have been beaten but never gave up. The issue will be to have all of these leaders on the same page and pulling in the same direction. I fully believe that Nelsen - whatever you think of his tactical acumen - has his own proven qualities that will enable him to lead the leaders on the same journey.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Except that he set the tone in the locker room. There was a lot of reason for players to bitch to the press (Ecks, Frei, Bekker) but you didn't see the sort of locker room drama like previous regimes, and I think Caldwell set that professionalism. Caldwell was captain in 2 other clubs. I don't think Bradley has been team captain yet. Caldwell is also here for another 2 seasons.
    You have a point about his having already been a captain. Maybe you're right about what should happen, but I'd still bet it'll be Bradley.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the end of the day, I don't really care who captain is - the fact that we have to actual ARGUE who the better player, better leader is, and we have option to chose from is just unbelievable! This is definitely a new TFC!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Either Caldwell or Bradley, I'm sure this team will be in good hands with whoever is captain. Regardless, I'm sure Caldwell will still be "captain" of the backline, and that's all that matters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a few different schools of thought, here:

If you give the captaincy to one of the DP's, whilst they would likely have the qualities to be successful in such a role, it might prove an uphill battle, given that it would be tough for them to empathize and demand better from the younger/lesser paid players, without being forced into a parental/babysitting role (subsidizing for them, as has been mentioned elsewhere). This could eventually take it's toll on whomever would be named captain, perhaps when we need them the most.

I also agree with Yohan, that stripping Caldwell of the captaincy sends the wrong message. He is, arguably, the best choice, having played at the highest levels, whilst still being on a comparable contract to the majority of players in the league. As such, he will be able to relate to everyone, which will help him. There's also something to be said of his apparent willingness to take on the role, in what was a tumultuous 2013 season. 47 goals allowed vs. 62 is a significant improvement, and that with him arriving mid-season -- not a balance you'd want to mess with, especially if we see new faces in the backline; players from the previous season will have formed an understanding with him and that respect will be there, but, with all the new faces (not only in the backline, mind), emphasizing his importance and, simultaneously, that of defending, through him retaining the armband, may prove crucial -- not that I think he's the type to mope around about it, were he not to retain the captaincy.

Winter used to say that he's not a fan of the keeper having the armband, as he is less likely to approach the ref. to get across the side's grievances and contest decisions, given that it would require leaving his goal untended (imagine a quick free-kick scenario); keepers have a limited time to set their walls and, so, even if the ref. insists on play restarting only after he's blown his whistle, there's hardly a window for the keeper-captain to get a word in. I do, however, agree that it's important to emphasize the importance of the defence-first mentality, with having a defender as captain.. especially when you consider that, to be fair, some offensive-minded players don't always carry their weight, when out of possession; a defender, being in the last line, before the keeper, in goal, will, instinctively, always keep others not doing their part in check -- the captaincy just gives them that bit more respectability.

I'm also not so sure that Bradley has ever been a team-captain on more than a stand-in basis. If I'm honest, the whole "rah-rah" business often required of a captain doesn't particularly suit his quiet/mysterious nature and could well be misinterpreted if the role were forced upon him. Some have said he would want to be captain, but I wouldn't have thought so, myself. Defoe, as has already been mentioned, is definitely more the type to lead by example; not necessarily the quite type, as he seems to be something of a comedian, but, when it comes to the business end of things, he will do his part and hope that others will match him.

At the end of the day, man-management and leading men are, quite possibly, Nelson's greatest qualities and I'm not as worried as it would appear some, here, are of him having a handle on things in the dressing room. With a year under his belt, now, and the respect he has garnered throughout his career, especially with his MLS background, I feel like he will have the confidence in himself, first and foremost, which will compliment his aforementioned natural talents.

The two more years (minimally) that we have with Caldwell should be enough time to, on merit, determine who's most deserving of the role of captain, for which I'm sure there will be no shortage of candidates -- certainly means to rejoice. =)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The flack that our best all-time player gets around here is pretty comical at times. DeRo has never been a locker room cancer. He's a strong personality, but he's a leader and a winner. He'll be the least of our problems.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    The flack that our best all-time player gets around here is pretty comical at times. DeRo has never been a locker room cancer. He's a strong personality, but he's a leader and a winner. He'll be the least of our problems.
    Yes, he was our best player.

He's not anymore.

His selfishness on the pitch is not only documented, he has said himself in the last week that this will continue. "I want the ball" is what he has said. Given our 3 DP's, and in particular how DeFoe is documented to be the same sort of player, (give him the ball and he will shoot), DeRo is definitely a potential issue for the locker room.

If he can change himself and pass when before he usually shot or dribbled, then he is an asset. We will see. But DeRo's has stated his game is give him the ball - and with Defoe and Gilberto and Bradley, that is just not going to happen.

Its up to Nelsen to get these guys on the same page.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell needs to stay captain until he deserves to lose it. I agree with the poster above that said giving it to Bradley now would send the wrong message to the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley would make a good captain. He is known for being a leader on the field. A lot of USMNT supporters thought he would be there captain, and want him to be.