Page 26 of 79 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    The pozuelo stuff was just negotiation, really don't think anyone in world football is even aware of it nevermind cares. It's standard transfer business.
    Oh yeah? Show us another example of an acquiring club trying to trigger a release clause without even talking to the current club.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Oh yeah? Show us another example of an acquiring club trying to trigger a release clause without even talking to the current club.
    Neymar. And there's many many many more

There's also examples of doing it with no release clause, japp Stam admitted Alex Ferguson tapped him up in his book (so spoke to him, illegally, before talking to the club with no release clause). Liverpool got reprimanded for it. Barcelona were so blatant with Fabregas they had players put the jersey on him and openly talk about his Barcelona DNA a year before they signed him. Figo leveraged his release clause to leave Barcelona as captain to sign across the lines of the most bitter rivalry in football

This is how European transfers work. This isn't north america

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neymar. And there's many many many more

There's also examples of doing it with no release clause, japp Stam admitted Alex Ferguson tapped him up in his book (so spoke to him, illegally, before talking to the club with no release club). Liverpool got reprimanded for it. Barcelona were so blatant with Fabregas they had players put the jersey on him and openly talk about his Barcelona DNA a year before they signed him. Figo leveraged his release clause to leave Barcelona as captain to sign across the lines of the most bitter rivalry in football

This is how European transfers work. This isn't north america
    Of course tons of communication happens illegally with players under contract - that is not my point.

Of course Neymar was rumoured for months. Same for Fabregas and a million others. But at the end, the legal docs were done in consultation with Barca and Arsenal.

When Chelsea had Kepa's contract triggered last year, they had been talking to both the player and to Bilbao for months prior.

Jaap Stam, Jesus, maybe, I don't know. An example that ancient/obscure proves my point.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-28-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course tons of communication happens illegally with players under contract - that is not my point.

Of course Neymar was rumoured for months. But at the end, the legal docs were done in consultation with Barca.

Jaap Stam, Jesus, maybe, I don't know. An example that ancient/obscure proves my point.
    They're off the top of my head and Stam was just foolish enough to admit it. Mind you signing for the top team in Europe at the time as one of the world's top defenders is hardly obscure

If Neymar was in consultation why did Barcelona try and sue him?

Worse things happen literally every window then a team trying to activate a release clause.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Neymar was in consultation why did Barcelona try and sue him?

That was after he left, they sued each other. Neymar sued for unpaid bonuses, Barca countersued for some sort of advance he had received that Barca wanted back.

Those suits are not obviously related to this question. There definitely was bad blood there, mostly about how Neymar and his father handled things.

The PSG v Barca “war”, if there is one, is about a lot more than Neymar, and is a pretty unique case.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-28-2019 at 11:38 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    This is downright embarrassing from the FO. Almost as much as the Pozuelo stuff.
    agreed all parties in mgmt including Vanney are part of this if true . My bias noted , these guys are corporate yes sirs . Why would a player with options come here if he hears this , if it comes down to equal offers . My wish for class or at least communication and honesty in mgmt probably is a pipe dream but I believe it is possible . What really worries me is the affect it has on Canadian youth players , where Hope is paramount . Btw there isn’t enough pressure on our team ( or MLS) to play our developing youth . Also wonder why we’re not taking into consideration the CBA talks , what if they drop the number of DP’s etc $$$. New teams spending $300 M might want a expense controls of some type . I do know the American players are going to fight for their $$ and rights , probably at Canadian players expense (again ) .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS let Mr. Integrity Michael Bradley run this god damn team .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obligatory - we are only hearing one side here

Not the first guy with a contract indicating a pickup/wage increase etc. if he gets x number of games who doesn't get x number of games. This does go on all over the world - not happy to see it at my club though, if true.

Didn't really want Benezet back, to be honest - but doing it this way, again, if true, ain't a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Obligatory - we are only hearing one side here

Not the first guy with a contract indicating a pickup/wage increase etc. if he gets x number of games who doesn't get x number of games. This does go on all over the world - not happy to see it at my club though, if true.

Didn't really want Benezet back, to be honest - but doing it this way, again, if true, ain't a good idea.
    Agreed.

I’m a bit troubled about this, if true. However, willing to hold off on making any assumptions at this stage.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'm going to say it now, although it's premature, unfair and based entirely on my own perceptions: Ali Curtis is Mo Johnston, Redux.

Everywhere he's gone in the league and each time I've heard him speak, I've thought he came across as insincere, a little arrogant at the least, maybe worse.

This kind of bullshit can't start again. It killed us for years. If we make commitments the club has to keep them.

If he hadn't thought ahead to Bradley when making those promises, he's incompetent.

If he had, he's deceitful.

This does not bode well.
    I don’t trust Curtis, I think he's shifty, but Mo v2? That's harsh.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 12-28-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I don’t trust Curtis, I think he's shifty, but Mo v2? That's harsh.
    Both ex-strikers, both shifty. Degrees of shift I don't know; I'm not even sure how shifty Mo was, we had so little accurate inside info. But shifty is shifty when it comes to cutting deals. Eventually, it starts to rebound.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Both ex-strikers, both shifty. Degrees of shift I don't know; I'm not even sure how shifty Mo was, we had so little accurate inside info. But shifty is shifty when it comes to cutting deals. Eventually, it starts to rebound.
    I have yet to see a manager in modern MLS as sleazy as Mo was, not even close.

I do agree btw, that reputation is very important. If it's true that Curtis lied it will reflect very badly on TFC. Once lost, it's hard to fix a reputation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We got third round pick from Miami in exchange for rights of ​Juan Agudelo

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/1...AAWDp37HmniYdI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sn0re View Post
    We got third round pick from Miami in exchange for rights of ​Juan Agudelo

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/1...AAWDp37HmniYdI
    MLS rules are so weird. We have to get compensated for them signing an out-of-contract player who never played for us. The MLS needs to scrap the Re-Entry Draft and the SuperDraft (when's the last time a third round pick has played for us?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS put TFC, Pellistri rumour/interest on the main site.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...undo-pellistri

That would be really nice signing if it were in addition to a DP, I don't know how that would work though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol at third round pick. Might as well pick up someone off the street.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's unfair to tar Curtis with the “Mo” brush. We don’t know enough.

In particular, we need to hear from Benezet's agent. I mean, that six game clause was there for a reason. It would be normal for the agent to be the intermediary on all conversations about something like this.

Anyone know how big a wheel Benezet's agent, “Meary”, is?
    Last edited by ensco; 12-28-2019 at 06:10 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    Well I guess that explains all those September games Vanney mysteriously didn't start Benezet for
    Was thinking the same thing. Not good for our clubs reputation when it comes to future transfers or loans

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    Was thinking the same thing. Not good for our clubs reputation when it comes to future transfers or loans
    But makes a whole lot of business sense when you're facing an off season with near total CBA uncertainty.

Main point, if we played him 6 times and triggered the buy then he would count as a DP under current cap conditions. Last reports were that Guingamp wanted around $5M transfer and if transfer fees were to remain amortized with new CBA then that would make him a DP.

Now imagine what people on this board would say about Curtis, Manning, and even Vanney if he played in the extra match and then we were stuck with Benezet as our big new DP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^This is why I have some suspicion of Benezet's agent. The clause exists. It isn’t obvious to me that anyone in TFC's position would give verbal assurances that undermine such a critical element of the deal. I have a lot of respect for Manning, and some for Curtis (these guys turned Hagglund into Gonzalez, signed Westberg, and got Bradley to re-commit as a non-DP, don’t forget)... this isn’t adding up.

We just don’t know and must await further details.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^This is why I have some suspicion of Benezet's agent. The clause exists. It isn’t obvious to me that anyone in TFC's position would give verbal assurances that undermine such a critical element of the deal. I have a lot of respect for Manning, and some for Curtis (these guys turned Hagglund into Gonzalez, signed Westberg, and got Bradley to re-commit as a non-DP, don’t forget)... this isn’t adding up.

We just don’t know and must await further details.
    I had so much respect and admiration for Curtis for what he did in New Jersey, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Meanwhile, I'm extremely unconvinced by Manning after RSL and some of the issues we've had in his tenure.

I find it extremely hard to believe that Curtis (or anyone with a brain) would give a guarantee on the exercise of an option like that. Until they refute it's only Nico's word to go on. And I I don't think the FO is going to comment tbh
    Last edited by portu; 12-29-2019 at 03:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Lol at third round pick. Might as well pick up someone off the street.
    The days of a Brian McBride style holdup are long gone it appears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    But makes a whole lot of business sense when you're facing an off season with near total CBA uncertainty.

Main point, if we played him 6 times and triggered the buy then he would count as a DP under current cap conditions. Last reports were that Guingamp wanted around $5M transfer and if transfer fees were to remain amortized with new CBA then that would make him a DP.

Now imagine what people on this board would say about Curtis, Manning, and even Vanney if he played in the extra match and then we were stuck with Benezet as our big new DP.

LOL at 5 mill for Benezet. Janson was a better player and younger and TFC could have fit him under the max TAM I believe. Benezet is coming off as a cry baby here, time to move on buddy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    LOL at 5 mill for Benezet. Janson was a better player and younger and TFC could have fit him under the max TAM I believe. Benezet is coming off as a cry baby here, time to move on buddy.
    Kind of like Will Johnson, get over it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benezet's agent has in fact spoken today to L'Équipe.

He says the contingency really related to Bradley’s contract situation (which makes sense, TFC wouldn’t have needed TAM for Bradley if Bradley was a DP in 2020).

There was, “without doubt, an internal communication error”. In other words, the agent's fault. Not Manning or Curtis.

btw Meary “doubled or tripled his salary” to come here.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actu...enezet/1093994

EDIT: in reading the comments in this article, I saw that Benezet had directly blamed the agent in the original story. He accused him of being in league with Curtis on this. I don’t subscribe to L'Équipe and used up my free visit is so I don’t have their story on it, and it's not in the original version that was linked on this board... but you can clearly get the idea here....
    https://www.time24.news/2019/12/bene...toronto-2.html
    ——————-

Carry on. Nothing to see here.

I feel for Nico. The guy was misled by his agent.

I hope we learn to never again have this type of structure in a deal. Two big problems:
    - It is bad for the room to have team and player misaligned like that, and to have that kind of drama going on behind the scenes.
    - That story was genuinely damaging to the brand, whatever the facts.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-29-2019 at 11:32 AM.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since the Bradley DP extension clause has come up again, I found it was a really weird condition. Winning MLS cup in the last year of the contract was the trigger? Why is that an incentive that was built in? It just seemed odd to tie the team’s hands on a player based on something that didn’t necessarily have to do with his performance.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    Since the Bradley DP extension clause has come up again, I found it was a really weird condition. Winning MLS cup in the last year of the contract was the trigger? Why is that an incentive that was built in? It just seemed odd to tie the team’s hands on a player based on something that didn’t necessarily have to do with his performance.
    TL made that deal 6 years ago. For all we know it was not just active in the 6th year - easily could have been written that if the team won MLS cup twice during his contract, Bradley got the extension. Heck, I seem to recall Bradley's contract was 5 years, not 6 - might have gotten an automatic extension every time we won MLS cup.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post

I read in the past it was for 500k euros transfer option. Definitely don't believe that 5 million number.
    I give our FO the benefit of the doubt for sure. But there is definitely some lack of communication or transparency that caused this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the dude has been whining on social media for days now.apparently he fired his agent.
    Last edited by reggie; 12-29-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benezet was an average player. Not sure why we are getting all worked up about this.