Thread: Schedule

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Schedule

So who dictates the schedule back in the day it was great 1 pm , 3pm games on Saturdays now Tuesday , Wednesday ,and Friday nights and Saturday nights now I’m missing half my games what about the children that want to come out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not everyone want games to be played in the afternoon in summer time. Also, Manning said Saturday night games tend to have higher attendance compare to afternoon and week night games.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's TV that determines the time.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evening is much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apart from the timing, the schedule is still all over the place. So many home games in May, like one in June, and then none until July 17th. It's very annoying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Not everyone want games to be played in the afternoon in summer time. Also, Manning said Saturday night games tend to have higher attendance compare to afternoon and week night games.
    isn't that him trying to convince us more so than reality. I can only go from personal experience and sat afternoon games are the most attended. I know sometimes the club have difficulties between tickets sold and actual bums on seats

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss the afternoon games. I feel like soccer should be played in the sunshine when possible.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eustacchio View Post
    I miss the afternoon games. I feel like soccer should be played in the sunshine when possible.
    As a fan or supporter yes, but 100% No if you are player
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's pretty simple: afternoons in the spring & fall; evenings in the summer. And less home games very early in the season when the weather in Toronto sucks. That's what's best for both fans and players.

But that's not what matters. TV scheduling is king, especially when the owners are broadcasters.

At least earlier in TFC's existent, there was also the thought that Toronto idiots will buy tickets even when the weather sucks, so they would give us more early-season crappy weather games. They would leave more better-weather home games (and summer when people presumably have vacation & more time to attend) for some US teams with a weaker ticket market. Not sure if that still plays a role.

Add that the Argos now make make BMO Field scheduling more difficult in the summer and fall. Consider that it's not only Toronto scheduling issues that have to be considered; some of the away stadiums will also have conflicts.

All these constraints mean that the comfort, convenience, and safety of Toronto fans & players are pretty much the last things to be considered.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 07-08-2019 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Evening is much better.
    On a Saturday summer night sure. But a home-opener at 7:30 pm on a Sunday in the winter? Or all these extra weekday night games?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaLFC View Post
    Apart from the timing, the schedule is still all over the place. So many home games in May, like one in June, and then none until July 17th. It's very annoying.
    The time/day the games happen do not bug me much but the schedule when the home games happen has always bugged me like you stated. Heavier home schedule in the spring and fall and they always seem to be on long road trips for away games through the summer. Seems to be the same every year so I doubt it will change anytime soon. Good scheduling for those that like to camp or go to the cottage since the summer has few games compared to the colder months but for us folk that don't do any of that it kinda bites. I would like as many warmer games as possible. The team should do their road trips to the warmer areas of the US through the spring/fall instead. I would think that would be better for them too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaLFC View Post
    the July schedule can be explained with the Indy coming to town.
    Having a home match when all parking and roads in Exhibition place is just a pain in the butt (especially if it ends up being a mid-week game when most drive down).
    At least once the race is done most of the parking lots are opened back up for the 17th and 20th.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    As a fan or supporter yes, but 100% No if you are player
    Luckily, I'm not a player.

Why 100% no though? I certainly preferred the start time of the second MLS Cup to the first - I can only assume the players probably did too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luckily, I'm not a player.

Why 100% no though? I certainly preferred the start time of the second MLS Cup to the first - I can only assume the players probably did too.
    Pretty sure he's talking about in the summer / when it's hot; that's when players don't want to play in the sunshine if possible. Nobody (fan / player) "prefers" games in December (or February) in Toronto anyway; but if they must happen then daytime / as warm as possible is better (but not possible with mid-week CCL games).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the issue is also that
    1)Vancouver and Montreal have teams now as well. Since TSN broadcasts all of the games, they'll tend to stagger the games a bit more, as opposed to when it was just Toronto.
    2) TSN also broadcasts all CFL games (every game not just Argos), which also limits time slots.
    3) We used to also have MLS games on CBC and Sportsnet (does Sportsnet still broadcast TFC?). More stations meant they didn't care if the other channel had something else at that time.
    4) Other sports. TSN was showing Wimbledon matches. Takes time slots away as well, especially with time difference.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Pretty sure he's talking about in the summer / when it's hot; that's when players don't want to play in the sunshine if possible. Nobody (fan / player) "prefers" games in December (or February) in Toronto anyway; but if they must happen then daytime / as warm as possible is better (but not possible with mid-week CCL games).
    I'm pretty sure of that too. The original post doesn't mention the time of year for the afternoon games - just afternoon games.

It's really the 100% certainty I was responding to.

We're all on the same page.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure of that too. The original post doesn't mention the time of year for the afternoon games - just afternoon games.

It's really the 100% certainty I was responding to.

We're all on the same page.
    No we are not on the same page,I assumed you meant summer because you mention playing in sunshine"I miss the afternoon games. I feel like soccer should be played in the sunshine when possible."
    There was barely any sunshine during our play off run regardless what time games where played,so sunshine in Canada means July,August,rest of the year is considered winter.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    It's pretty simple: afternoons in the spring & fall; evenings in the summer. And less home games very early in the season when the weather in Toronto sucks. That's what's best for both fans and players.

But that's not what matters. TV scheduling is king, especially when the owners are broadcasters.

At least earlier in TFC's existent, there was also the thought that Toronto idiots will buy tickets even when the weather sucks, so they would give us more early-season crappy weather games. They would leave more better-weather home games (and summer when people presumably have vacation & more time to attend) for some US teams with a weaker ticket market. Not sure if that still plays a role.

Add that the Argos now make make BMO Field scheduling more difficult in the summer and fall. Consider that it's not only Toronto scheduling issues that have to be considered; some of the away stadiums will also have conflicts.

All these constraints mean that the comfort, convenience, and safety of Toronto fans & players are pretty much the last things to be considered.
    agreed. spring fall during the day, summer at night.

quality of soccer at -2 C is no fun to watch.
    Same with soccer at +30 C, its like watching molasses

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    No we are not on the same page,I assumed you meant summer because you mention playing in sunshine"I miss the afternoon games. I feel like soccer should be played in the sunshine when possible."
    There was barely any sunshine during our play off run regardless what time games where played,so sunshine in Canada means July,August,rest of the year is considered winter.
    The sun shines all year long, my friend.

You're right about July/August - which is why we should enjoy it while we can.

Honestly, all I would like from the schedule is to play on consistent days.