Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going to be announced at 11 if these hints are right

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All those people who wanted #vanneyout because of course a big European coach would come instead? If this is true, here's the reality check. Better than Vanney? Not likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armas is definitely the guy. Ali connection from nyrb. Let's see what he can do with a bigger budget.

Oh and lol at ppl wanting Caldwell to coach. He's an awful commentator and has 0 experience as a coach. I'd prefer if he just disappeared altogether.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, Armas is our man.

Not my first choice, but what the heck do I know.

Time to support our new manager!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KJ has confirmed he's been appointed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully KJ has an account that is good enough!

https://twitter.com/KristianJack/sta...348595204?s=20

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure what I think, but he did win a Supporters Shield with NYRB and seems to be good bringing in youth. Will be interesting to see what he can do with a budget. I'm glad he's got MLS experience, I think that's important. And I'm excited with the idea of a high press if that's how he sets up, although I'm not sure we have the team for that at the moment. Time will tell I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The happiest people about this news seem to be DCU fans.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Hopefully KJ has an account that is good enough!

https://twitter.com/KristianJack/sta...348595204?s=20

I trust him.

As I said, that other account has been telling porkies.

Not impressed. When other teams fans are happy your choice is off the table, you have to think. Will give him a chance and listen to him but...

this is a downgrade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all its big shoes to fill taking this Head Coaching position and right now I'm not a strong fan of this decision. It also does not look that great because Ali just hired his buddy as our new head coach I would of preferred a more experienced coach rather then Armas. But at the same time Vanney did prove what i just said wrong with not a lot of experience at all so what do i know.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not impressed to be honest, feels like a downgrade even when compared to Greg, but then again who was Greg as a coach when the Reds hired him, so we shall see.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I trust him.

As I said, that other account has been telling porkies.

Not impressed. When other teams fans are happy your choice is off the table, you have to think. Will give him a chance and listen to him but...

this is a downgrade
    I feel like I’ve said this about everything for the last 18 months only to be disappointed but... let’s see how this works out. I don’t love it but at face value, he has experience and hopefully learned from it. NBNY didn’t exactly implode under his watch.

Now that said, I give this search process a failing grade. It was the equivalent of staring at 28 flavours of ice cream behind the window and three hours later deciding you want vanilla.

My general impression is Ali Curtis has a way of doing business that is very corporate and doesn’t fit with the reality of the footballing world or our place in it. None of this bodes well in our search for players in the market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so much for the that wide world search,i guess ali will find our new dp at the MLS draft next week.
    like i said before curtis and manning are usl caliber and have no world futbol cache
    Last edited by reggie; 01-13-2021 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Between Ali, Armas and Altidore (assuming we have a repeat of last year from him) I'm kind of glad I won't be spending money to come see games in person for the foreseeable future.

I was in the "shit there's no way we're going to improve on Vanney" camp and this move certainly doesn't impress.
    TFC management changes: "like adding a new fish to your aquarium of failure." - Shakes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    so much for the that wide world search,i guess ali will find our new dp at the MLS draft next week.
    Just look for the most obvious, underwhelming, (and probably American) player in the market that fits the bill.

Then wait three months while we close the deal at the pace of a career bureaucrat, riding a turtle, in rush hour traffic, after a snow storm.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One mitigating factor in all this

We don't know if we will even have home games this year. Hard to attract somebody.

But...but....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Armas is definitely the guy. Ali connection from nyrb. Let's see what he can do with a bigger budget.

Oh and lol at ppl wanting Caldwell to coach. He's an awful commentator and has 0 experience as a coach. I'd prefer if he just disappeared altogether.
    Just to complete this, it was a media or twitter report that Caldwell was being interviewed that led to the discussion - people were very negative about him personally and I intervened because he was a good servant for this club as a player and didn't deserve the extreme negativity. I don't think anyone on these boards suggested that he should coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Just look for the most obvious, underwhelming, (and probably American) player in the market that fits the bill.

Then wait three months while we close the deal at the pace of a career bureaucrat, riding a turtle, in rush hour traffic, after a snow storm.
    I think it's BWP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    One mitigating factor in all this

We don't know if we will even have home games this year. Hard to attract somebody.

But...but....

As always Og, you have nailed it. We have transitioned to a medium budget team. Not quite the transition the Jays made in '94 - '95, when they went from big budget huge attendance winning team that was competing with Yankees and Red Sox for talent to small budget low attendance losers for 20 years - but one we need to watch carefully. Manning and team have demonstrated good history in the league on moderate budgets but not on bringing in Seba, VV, Bradley or Jozy level talent. Developing Canadian talent is exciting and a plus for me, but so is winning.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    First of all its big shoes to fill taking this Head Coaching position and right now I'm not a strong fan of this decision. It also does not look that great because Ali just hired his buddy as our new head coach I would of preferred a more experienced coach rather then Armas. But at the same time Vanney did prove what i just said wrong with not a lot of experience at all so what do i know.
    I think the biggest statement is that Armas is from Ali's past and with that said he did win a Shield. So I will give Armas a chance and a high press would be fun.

The jury is still out on Ali though....and more importantly TFC's future. The biggest impact for us will be from Ali. If he thinks he can run this on a budget and win and that is what the board wants to hear, I think we are screwed based on Ali's track record. I am excited about our youth but we also have a team that can win now.

I think what really pisses me off more is we are co-hosting the 2026 World Cup and now is the time to grow Football. It starts with strong teams... Montreal and Vancouver are a mess the one Star (no pun intended) was TFC.

I really hope I am wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. Didn't think they'd do it but they did. Uninspired hire but hopefully he pulls a rabbit out of his hat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a worldwide pandemic, it may have been unreasonable to expect a worthwhile overseas manager to take the leap, to a Canadian team especially, with all the uncertainty surrounding logistics. At least the club can now focus on improving the first team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I think it's BWP.
    That’s crazy talk. We all know it’s Sacha Kljestan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    All those people who wanted #vanneyout because of course a big European coach would come instead? If this is true, here's the reality check. Better than Vanney? Not likely.
    I’d probably be classified as one of those people. Big reality check. I’m not impressed at all by Armas. We’ll see how this goes and he’ll get the benefit of the doubt from me. Will be interested to see if he plays the press with us. Poz can probably do it, but playing Jozy in a press seems like a recipe for Glass Man to break a few more times than usual in 2021.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, as @joshuakloke and I have mentioned, there was a sense around MLS that Ali Curtis and Bill Manning wouldn't want a coach who would demand a lot of roster control. Not getting more control was part of why Vanney left, from what I'm told.

Armas probably isn't that guy.

From Sam Stejskal. This is a bit worrying. I thought the Vanney stuff was because he wanted go home. If this is part of the reason, this scares the shit out of me.

We are at a tipping point. Either this is going to ugly this season, or Curtis finally brings in the right pieces, and Armas surprises us.

Gun to my head, it think it’s the former.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I think the biggest statement is that Armas is from Ali's past and with that said he did win a Shield. So I will give Armas a chance and a high press would be fun.
    I agree a solid press will be fun and we did need to change our ways from the dull, pointless possession game we fell in love with for the past few seasons but we do not have the roster to play the RB press. First off Altidore has to go followed by a lot of regulars. The slowest, least fit team in the league isn't going to be able to run any sort of press well unless the right players are there to do it. I assume we're going all in on the youth thing which should make some people happy. Now let's toss Fraser at CB and get on with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't Armas inherit the press? We might not move to it, and as others have suggested, it's a different roster. Over Vanney's time, our roster has been super fit but injury prone; skillful but not speedy. It is now also old. None of that suggests a press.

Perosnally, I would like to see Bielsa style pressing here and man to man marking. Leeds can be incredible particularly given who is on their roster - but we wont see that!
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-13-2021 at 12:20 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I’d probably be classified as one of those people. Big reality check. I’m not impressed at all by Armas. We’ll see how this goes and he’ll get the benefit of the doubt from me. Will be interested to see if he plays the press with us. Poz can probably do it, but playing Jozy in a press seems like a recipe for Glass Man to break a few more times than usual in 2021.
    I am banking on Achara and Akinola being healthy and another DP... I can dream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Of course, as @joshuakloke and I have mentioned, there was a sense around MLS that Ali Curtis and Bill Manning wouldn't want a coach who would demand a lot of roster control. Not getting more control was part of why Vanney left, from what I'm told.

Armas probably isn't that guy.

From Sam Stejskal. This is a bit worrying. I thought the Vanney stuff was because he wanted go home. If this is part of the reason, this scares the shit out of me.

We are at a tipping point. Either this is going to ugly this season, or Curtis finally brings in the right pieces, and Armas surprises us.

Gun to my head, it think it’s the former.
    Wow. Imagine you have a coach that’s won a ridiculous amount of awards and some fresh hire GM that got bounced from his own project at his last club.... And you side with the GM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    That’s crazy talk. We all know it’s Sacha Kljestan
    Yes you're right. Where was my head?!