Page 87 of 191 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is night and day compared to the same time last year. I am so grateful that we got rid of that clown Curtis and his list of COVID excuses. Still don't understand how he got hired in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In fairness to all us, the MLS roster/salary rules are byzantine on a good day.
    From the same url I referenced above, it also says -

In 2021, a Designated Player who is at least 24 years old during the League Year will carry the Maximum Salary Budget Charge ($612,500).

I interpret this as meaning there is a material ramification for our cap space depending on whether a buyout is offseason or in-seaon. But I think your third point is the most pivotal - the ability to fill a DP spot any time, even after an in-season buyout of a DP is critically important in gaming out the Jozy situation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to confirm I’m fine buying out Jozy today if we need to. I’m just saying we maybe don’t need to buy him out immediately if he’s going to try to extort extra money.

For the record I love Jozy but he’s gotta go. If he’s trying to hold TFC hostage I’m fine putting his balls in a fire too. That was my angle about getting rid of Soteldo immediate.

Having thought a moment it’s not my money so buy everyone out at full pop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree. And also for the record, I love Jozy too. I thought peak-Jozy was one impressive footballer and a real pleasure to watch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andrea D’Amico who help put together the deal and former agent of Givinco had an interview

https://www.calciomercato.com/news/d...ronto-vu-35727

to summarize:
    1. TFC had many targets but Insinge was the top one due to his position, his quality and he also won the euro cup.
    2. At no point did Andrea feel like the deal wasn’t going to get done
    3. No other MLS team was interested and Toronto is an important club and they (other mls teams) can’t compete
    4. Is Toronto interest in Bellotti? We wanted to close the Insinge deal first but the team has 5 or 6 targets. We will reach out now and start working on Bellotti and the others
    5. What about Cristico? Let him finish the season, he’s the captain and has 1 1/2 years left on his contract

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have said it before, Jozy is an absolute legend and should be remembered as such. However, this divorce has been coming for awhile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    Andrea D’Amico who help put together the deal and former agent of Givinco had an interview

https://www.calciomercato.com/news/d...ronto-vu-35727

to summarize:
    1. TFC had many targets but Insinge was the top one due to his position, his quality and he also won the euro cup.
    2. At no point did Andrea feel like the deal wasn’t going to get done
    3. No other MLS team was interested and Toronto is an important club and they (other mls teams) can’t compete
    4. Is Toronto interest in Bellotti? We wanted to close the Insinge deal first but the team has 5 or 6 targets. We will reach out now and start working on Bellotti and the others
    5. What about Cristico? Let him finish the season, he’s the captain and has 1 1/2 years left on his contract
    That interview definitely made Belotti sound like a legit target. More so than Criscito.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I was told due to his age Geona would be willing to let him go for free in the summer… Geona needs to get younger and shed salary so it does make sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogon View Post
    In fairness to all us, the MLS roster/salary rules are byzantine on a good day.
    From the same url I referenced above, it also says -

In 2021, a Designated Player who is at least 24 years old during the League Year will carry the Maximum Salary Budget Charge ($612,500).

I interpret this as meaning there is a material ramification for our cap space depending on whether a buyout is offseason or in-seaon. But I think your third point is the most pivotal - the ability to fill a DP spot any time, even after an in-season buyout of a DP is critically important in gaming out the Jozy situation
    Gogon, seems to me bank credit card terms and conditions are comic book reading
    compared to trying to get one's head around MLS roster/salary rules.
    Everyone else involved in this discussion...
    thanks for raising my awareness and knowledge.
    My understanding is weak on this matter.

By the way... did Buffery just offer a non-confirmation confirmation quote from Manning about Borjan in his latest article?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I was told due to his age Geona would be willing to let him go for free in the summer… Geona needs to get younger and shed salary so it does make sense.
    any updates on belotti or destro?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's with all the Italians?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    100% agree on a regular player. The cap space is locked down and the buyout has to be submitted before the season starts to get the salary space.

If you look in the league rules it’s says the following (direct paste)

“If a club buys out a player's contract during the season, the buyout amount will be charged against the club's Salary Budget.”

With a DP there’s no salary space needed so that point is moot. Also based on the above quote directly from MLS website it IS possible to buy out a player mid season.

So in summary
    1. Mid season buyout is possible
    2. Salary budget space is moot
    3. DP spot can be filled any time.

So where am I wrong?
    Wrong on the salary charge...612.5k is the salary budget charge for a dp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TheGoodson, I have held faith in the off season team and roster information you offered early on this thread. Even about Curtis. My position is he was welcome to stay, under BOB, with an opinion but no say; assisting. Otherwise, just that MLS did MLSE a 'corporate' convenience to circumvent any severance issue.

In regards to Criscito, as well as Destro, D'Amico may be treading careful here in his statements. My understanding is that some (good) contracts have a relegation clause... voided upon. TFC eventually may not have to even engage or negotiate with Genoa and could save in any transfer fees once this SerieA season is over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boozilla,

Didn't you get the memo? It's been found out that both Bob and Masai's real birth names are respectively Bradleoni and Ujirini. Born and raised on the boot! They grew up together playing calcio.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-06-2022 at 10:52 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How exactly did Gio figure his return to TFC was going to happen …

if the agent he fired and is publicly feuding with has become the most important person at TFC?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    How exactly did Gio figure his return to TFC was going to happen …

if the agent he fired and is publicly feuding with has become the most important person at TFC?
    Ha! ensco, seems Seba threw it down and your the first to pick that up here! Boy O boy... football agents, they'll fcuk, I mean talk to anyone.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-07-2022 at 03:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    Wrong on the salary charge...612.5k is the salary budget charge for a dp
    I said it didn’t matter but when one do leaves mid season and another joins it’s still 612k because it’s not 306k more added to the start of season 612 that’s locked is just 612 k anyways. The number is static. If you have a DP it’s this number, if you want a DP you have to have 612 budgeted overall which it is. It clearly says this. Otherwise how’s it possible to join mid season like Insigne is? His budget will be 306k and it doesn’t climb to 900k should a different DP transfer out that locked in 612 it’s still just 612k. Same rule would apply for cuts

Even if I am wrong what so difficult adding 306k anyways? Buy it down to 150k and it’s just a regular day at the office. Pretty moot which is why I used that word

Again I don’t really care but just surprised I got the hard “wrong” many hours after the conversation moved on. Maybe you know much more to take such a hard stance?
    Last edited by Webdogg; 01-07-2022 at 06:58 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boozilla View Post

A market largely untapped by MLS because it requires finesse and / or brute force of $.

For a team willing to spend, every player is an option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laryea passed his medical. Official announcement should be imment now

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

North America has 5-6 cities, including New York and Boston, as well as Toronto, Montreal, whose Italian heritage/speaking populations would put them all on the list of the top 10 largest cities in Italy.

Really, if Serie A had any vision, they'd have had a North American division, a long time ago.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

North America has 5-6 cities, including New York and Boston, as well as Toronto, Montreal, whose Italian heritage/speaking populations would put them all on the list of the top 10 largest cities in Italy.

Really, if Serie A had any vision, they'd have had a North American division, a long time ago.
    Maybe not a whole league but definitely play games here. This forward thinking is the type of thing I am surprised several clubs haven’t jumped on already.

Just using our friends in Montreal because it’s convenient, why wouldn’t Saputo bring over Bologna to play a couple exhibitions against CF Montreal? Do it during an international window with subs if needed. I realize the two league starting/stopping don’t align well but even if it was Bologna against themselves in a split squad held at Saputo Stadium they’d bring in a full gate. It’s doesn’t really cost him anything to put the event on as he owns the teams and the stadium.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^They should do that too.

In the long run, notwithstanding what just happened with the super league, someday real change is going to happen in Europe. I mean, what on earth is Sassuolo doing in Serie A year after year. It is a town of 40,000 people. That's Cornwall or Timmins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^They should do that too.

In the long run, notwithstanding what just happened with the super league, someday real change is going to happen in Europe. I mean, what on earth is Sassuolo doing in Serie A year after year. It is a town of 40,000 people. That's Cornwall or Timmins.
    ^ This crap exists for the same reason the last Go Train stops in Acton. The rural populace must be appeased, even if it lowers the level of Series A or makes Go Train Service to larger communities like London / Kitchener practically useless.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised their clubs haven't dropped in an academy or some USL/CPL/L1O type clubs in strategic cities to mine the youth. It would make sense, not cost much, and they'd probably make a profit from season seat sales.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I'm surprised their clubs haven't dropped in an academy or some USL/CPL/L1O type clubs in strategic cities to mine the youth. It would make sense, not cost much, and they'd probably make a profit from season seat sales.
    Barcelona tried to put 7 academies in Canada and Australia but the pandemic put those academies into bankruptcy and that project is done. I think clubs overseas just work with clubs/academies here to identify players. I personally know people that had their kids go to Bayern and Chelsea for trials at their academies in Europe after doing well here. Maybe we will see more one day....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Barcelona tried to put 7 academies in Canada and Australia but the pandemic put those academies into bankruptcy and that project is done. I think clubs overseas just work with clubs/academies here to identify players. I personally know people that had their kids go to Bayern and Chelsea for trials at their academies in Europe after doing well here. Maybe we will see more one day....
    I think it would work if the academy team (plus some non-academy players tossed in) played in USL or USL2 in that city and could make some revenue off ticket sales. Bercelona's model, much like everything else they touch that involves money, was bound to turn to shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ^ This crap exists for the same reason the last Go Train stops in Acton. The rural populace must be appeased, even if it lowers the level of Series A or makes Go Train Service to larger communities like London / Kitchener practically useless.
    As rural populace myself, broad baseless comments are pretty offensive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Whatever about Go Train, European soccer leagues aren't a franchise model and areas aren't awarded a team by the decision of a commissioner. Tiny town teams that rise up the ranks do it purely on the merit of their own work and by getting better results than the larger town teams they're moving ahead of

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus, Green Bay has a population of 110,000. The Packers are one of the most successful NFL teams in history

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Whatever about Go Train, European soccer leagues aren't a franchise model and areas aren't awarded a team by the decision of a commissioner. Tiny town teams that rise up the ranks do it purely on the merit of their own work and by getting better results than the larger town teams they're moving ahead of
    You know, you’re right, not a good comparison.

Although it could be argued the larger teams disproportionately carry the costs when the very small markets play in the first division. Hence all the super league talk, etc, etc…