Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    The club's share of transfer or loan fee revenue may only be used as follows:

- The club may assign up to $1,050,000 of the transfer/loan revenue as General Allocation Money. In the case of Designated Players, transfer/loan revenue may not be assigned as General Allocation Money. In the case of U22 Initiative Slot players, please refer to the section on U22 Initiative Roster Slots.

This is a dumb rule and removes all incentive to sell DPs. If MLS wants to be a selling league, you need to allow teams to reinvest that money into other acquisitions.
    This is actually a fairly loosely worded measure.It’s good news you can increase your cap space by a million dollars by receiving a transfer fee or loan money.

The regulation isn’t prescriptive enough to prevent the funds from indirectly making their way into a club’s budget for DP’s.

I think MLS just wants to throw up a bit of a smokescreen to prevent any sort of expectation that money in is automatically going to be spent on player acquisition.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 04-13-2021 at 05:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    This is actually a fairly loosely worded measure.It’s good news you can increase your cap space by a million dollars by receiving a transfer fee or loan money.

The regulation isn’t prescriptive enough to prevent the funds from indirectly making their way into a club’s budget for DP’s.

I think MLS just wants to throw up a bit of a smokescreen to prevent any sort of expectation that money in is automatically going to be spent on player acquisition.
    Previously you could get GAM for 75% of a transfer fee, up to a total of $750k, regardless of if the player being transferred is a DP or not. So they've increased the total amount that could be converted, but removed one of the primary sources of transfer revenue (DPs). I'm in favour of increasing the cap, but think DPs should continue to contribute to that.

EDIT: At the beginning of last season, it was adjusted to 95% of a transfer fee, up to a total of $1M. So this seems even a bigger step backwards. https://theathletic.com/1643982/2020...oney-to-clubs/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just assume every team has to give FC Dallas a cut of their transfer fees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Previously you could get GAM for 75% of a transfer fee, up to a total of $750k, regardless of if the player being transferred is a DP or not. So they've increased the total amount that could be converted, but removed one of the primary sources of transfer revenue (DPs). I'm in favour of increasing the cap, but think DPs should continue to contribute to that.

EDIT: At the beginning of last season, it was adjusted to 95% of a transfer fee, up to a total of $1M. So this seems even a bigger step backwards. https://theathletic.com/1643982/2020...oney-to-clubs/
    But keep in mind this is all from the perspective of a salary cap and the club’s maximum allowable expenditures under that cap. Within that structure, you still have DP’s and can theoretically spend an unlimited amount in filling those positions. Also, if memory serves, there is some discretion about the amount of money teams are spending these days in regular player salaries. It’s not the formulaic $3.0 million + DP’s or whatever it was back in the day.

All that’s to say, you can still play out a scenario where a club increases their spend post-sale of a DP. It’s just not going increase their flexibility under MLS’s rules for the salary cap / budgetary guidelines.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 04-13-2021 at 07:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Who needs Borré when you have Mullinho?
    TFC is recognizing what you've known all along. Their new twitter/instagram post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    TFC is recognizing what you've known all along. Their new twitter/instagram post:

The secret is out. Mullinho is the GOAT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Supporters Shield Foundation is already starting some of their shenanigans again. MLS needs to just create their own trophy and just finish with these guys who think they are super important (and of course, they once again blocked comments just like last year)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    The Supporters Shield Foundation is already starting some of their shenanigans again. MLS needs to just create their own trophy and just finish with these guys who think they are super important (and of course, they once again blocked comments just like last year)

Points per game played outside your home stadium should be factored in.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The narcissism involved in all that group does right now is just stunning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it because the Red Bulls are gonna suck again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know, sometimes people have to realize when their involvement in something is nothing more than a goodwill gesture and otherwise nobody gives a crap about their opinion. This is one of those times.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mls...rida-1.5992509

Some families and staff of TFC move to Florida, because Ontario sucks for COVID

On the other hand, nice of MLSE to shell out the extra bucks to accomodate
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mls...rida-1.5992509

Some families and staff of TFC move to Florida, because Ontario sucks for COVID

On the other hand, nice of MLSE to shell out the extra bucks to accomodate
    its not like FLA is covid free,they are still getting 6k-7k a day

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    its not like FLA is covid free,they are still getting 6k-7k a day
    Nobody is covid free but

vaccinations easily available in Florida
    &
    the team paying for this
    &
    just having people together while kids are not in school

makes this a no brainer if you have kids.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off topic posts on the European Super League have been removed.

If you want to discuss that, a thread has been started here: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...The-ESL-Thread
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-19-2021 at 01:02 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://theathletic.com/2530082/2021...ty-toronto-fc/

For those of you with an The Athletic account, nice article on JMR. One bit of interesting info is that JMR's GA contract is 6 yrs long.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surely re-imagined West and South Stands with maybe the addition of a North stand could certainly make that possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Permanently expand or temporarily expand? That’s the question.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess is temporary similar to what they did before. I don't think they would be confident of being able to sell out a bigger stadium than we already have to make enough $$$ to pay for a permanent upgrade.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    My guess is temporary similar to what they did before. I don't think they would be confident of being able to sell out a bigger stadium than we already have to make enough $$$ to pay for a permanent upgrade.
    I say a bit of both.
    A second deck over the south end and temporary seating in the North end (similar to the Centennial Classic set up in 2018).
    The only other changes I could see is maybe a renovation of the original second deck on the West Side (and Press box)
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He made it sound like a mix of temp and permanent upgrades.

The winter classic set up had an attendance of 40,148 so they need to squeeze at least another 5k in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any chance they can remember their promise for safe standing in all that? That went awfully quiet

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on previous plans I bet it would be a reno and expansion of the west side as the permanent change.

Plus temporary additions in the north and south. The north could even be a mix of some temporary and some permanent changes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have to do something about media access, even if temporarily. Heck, for a opening round World Cup game, 1/2 of a deck one one side is usually media. For that reason, there will have to be a West reno.

I still think they are going to do something more permanent on the North side, especially if the Ex doesn't come back.

I think the safe standing will be integrated into a slight south reno.

All this means that 2026 might have few home games until after the WC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is great!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get it.

They were not getting close to 30,000 pre pandemic... and they already have an issue where the stands look emptier than announced attendance (which cannot be a healthy sign).

It is very rare for the upper deck on the east side to be more than one third full. Tickets up there are unsellable. The sight lines, when you do a retrofit, they are poor.

Who is paying for this and why?

I hope it's mostly bleachers like we had in 2017.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-21-2021 at 06:41 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don't get it.

They were not getting close to 30,000 pre pandemic... and they already have an issue where the stands look emptier than announced attendance (which cannot be a healthy sign).

It is very rare for the upper deck on the east side to be more than one third full. Tickets up there are unsellable. The sight lines, when you do a retrofit, they are poor.

Who is paying for this and why?

I hope it's mostly bleachers like we had in 2017.
    It's been a while, but there was a proposed reno a few years ago. Primarily it was about the west side. They want to have more and better private suites etc. on that side. I don't know how much money they make off of them, but they always seem full. And generally boxes and suites are quite lucrative for teams.

The other issue on the west side is that the media centre is pretty bad, and not useable for WC. Maybe they'll make part of it convertible to more private suites or event spaces after WC.

Next: west side has issues with drainage, uninsulated pipes and a number of other problems that have to be dealt with anyway.

I agree the empty seats look bad. They hurt ticket prices and resale value as well. At least the west side isn't visible on TV. Maybe they'll keep a new upper west side tarped off except for big events? I hope I don't lose my upper west side seats as a result, or they get much more expensive...

But there will be lots of bleachers as well.

In the end there will be a price for getting the Word Cup. They're going to want to seat 45k in Toronto. There will be money from a couple of levels of government.

We can hope that the extra permanent seats will push TFC to keep fielding a competitive team after COVID is over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t mind a little bit of extra capacity, keeps prices down. But feels like we already have that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The TFC website currently has our home game against Cruz Azul listed as being played at BMO:

https://www.torontofc.ca/schedule

I assume this is just an oversight?