View Poll Results: How many points for TFC in 2021?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • 68+ Points: Legendary Team!!!

3 8.82%
  • 63-67 Points: Supporter Shield Winners!!

2 5.88%
  • 59-62 Points: Conference Champions!

3 8.82%
  • 55-58 Points: Elite Team

9 26.47%
  • 51-54 Points: Solid Playoff Team

13 38.24%
  • 47-50 Points: Play-in Round Visitor

2 5.88%
  • 42-46 points: On the Playoff Bubble

1 2.94%
  • 37-41 Points: Lower Table Team

1 2.94%
  • 31-36 Points: Cellar Dwellers

0 0%
  • 30 Points or less: "We're the worst team in the world..."

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How Many Points for TFC in 2021?

It's that time again: Now that we've had a chance to see TFC before the season starts, where will they end up in the standings at the end of the season this year?

Here is the link to last two years' predictions (which link to earlier versions):
    http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...or-TFC-in-2020
    http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showth...ht=2019+points

I was skeptical going into this season, with the COVID weirdness and lack of communication from the club. Armas has my support until at least summer 2022 before I'll pass any further judgement on him. Perhaps we might actually have a couple of youngsters break out this season. I'm still not sold on the defence, but Bradley and the rest of the midfield seem to be in okay shape to control the flow of games. The real question mark is attacking quality up top. I'm assuming that Curtis will wait until mid-season before making moves to bring in additional help, depending on where the perceived weaknesses are in the team show up after a half-season of play. But I'm feeling a lot better about the team's chances now than I was in February. Place your bets, people!
    Last edited by Initial B; 04-14-2021 at 07:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the maximum amount of points? I'll go with that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny you posted this poll AFTER the two games vs Leon. Results would have been VERY different over a week ago!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Funny you posted this poll AFTER the two games vs Leon. Results would have been VERY different over a week ago!
    No kidding.

I'm still going to wait until we're about 5 games in the regular season before answering.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    No kidding.

I'm still going to wait until we're about 5 games in the regular season before answering.
    that's no fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    that's no fun!
    Sorry – I'm feeling cautiously optimistic right now, but still need a bit more data before trying to make any determinations about the season.

Remember how our 2018 run to the final decimated the squad and sank our league form ...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Sorry – I'm feeling cautiously optimistic right now, but still need a bit more data before trying to make any determinations about the season.

Remember how our 2018 run to the final decimated the squad and sank our league form ...
    yes, but only about half our first string players played tonight!

i think they learnt from that run, and held back a couple guys that could have dressed tonight in order to play them on saturday.

also, if we do go far, the semis arent til august, so not too congested, which is nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    yes, but only about half our first string players played tonight!

i think they learnt from that run, and held back a couple guys that could have dressed tonight in order to play them on saturday.

also, if we do go far, the semis arent til august, so not too congested, which is nice
    Ah, you're right. I hadn't noticed that. That's a huge improvement from trying to jam the whole tournament into 2 months.

As for whether the club held back players from today's game for Saturday ... that would be a very bold and interesting decision. I'm curious to know if they would take that kind of risk.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they will be different after Saturday.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before you pencil in TFC for 77 points, we don’t know how we stack up in the league, and that is not clear based on CCL.

MLS is going to have 5 of the 8 teams in the CCL quarters, and every one of them has looked damn good in this tournament. Only we beat a Mexican team, but historically the Costa Rican teams have given MLS fits.

MLS may put both teams in the CCL final.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-15-2021 at 06:42 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I always wait until after the last pre-season(?) game before making this annual post. It just so happens that this year the last pre-season game was an epic CCL tilt. I agree with Og that people should take their time answering this poll - lets not let the excitement of the moment interfere with sober judgement.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are good right now, but injuries and FO support will be key to being better and winning trophies.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna go with "30 Points or less: We're the worst team in the world..." LOL.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I think they will be different after Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna go with "30 Points or less: We're the worst team in the world..." LOL.
    I just thought I'd bump this thread as a reminder of how deluded most of us were at the start of the season. Currently, with 2/3 of the season gone, TFC is on track to end up with 23 points. I mean, NOBODY came close to guessing that this season was going to be such an epic disaster. I suppose the caveat should always apply: Past performance does not predicate future returns.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    I just thought I'd bump this thread as a reminder of how deluded most of us were at the start of the season. Currently, with 2/3 of the season gone, TFC is on track to end up with 23 points. I mean, NOBODY came close to guessing that this season was going to be such an epic disaster. I suppose the caveat should always apply: Past performance does not predicate future returns.
    Wow that's a good point.

In my defence, I never actually voted for anything, I just wasn't sure enough of where it's headed before the poll closed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    What is the maximum amount of points? I'll go with that.
    This guy is an idiot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I predicted 32 points and I think I was way off. At this rate I doubt we can hit 22.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are taking a serious run at a league record.

FC Cincinnati had 75 goals allowed as an expansion team in 2019.

We have 47 allowed after 22 games, and should probably be playing kids. I see no reason why we can’t get this one.

Imagine setting the leagle record for goals against with the highest payroll. Now THAT is a high bar- nobody will ever do that again.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We are taking a serious run at a league record.

FC Cincinnati had 75 goals allowed as an expansion team in 2019.

We have 47 allowed after 22 games, and should probably be playing kids. I see no reason why we can’t get this one.

Imagine setting the leagle record for goals against with the highest payroll. Now THAT is a high bar- nobody will ever do that again.

Don’t forget a record for worse total points in a season for Tfc record. Look up 2012 season we were last with a total points of 34 I think we might beat it

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kottisinick View Post
    Don’t forget a record for worse total points in a season for Tfc record. Look up 2012 season we were last with a total points of 34 I think we might beat it
    In 2012 we ended up with 23 points. I think we could break that. I am not sure I see us winning again this season. Maybe a few draws. Still sticking with my updated 22 points prediction.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    In 2012 we ended up with 23 points. I think we could break that. I am not sure I see us winning again this season. Maybe a few draws. Still sticking with my updated 22 points prediction.
    Yes ur right sorry 23 points we have September bit of October to pick up points

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kottisinick View Post
    Yes ur right sorry 23 points we have September bit of October to pick up points
    Even if we had another 20 matches I am not sure 8 points is attainable at this point.

What is attainable; lowest points total ever & most goals against.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Even if we had another 20 matches I am not sure 8 points is attainable at this point.

What is attainable; lowest points total ever & most goals against.
    What’s going to be truly nuts is that Curtis probably still believes he did a good job and Manning won’t fire him because it’s a poor reflection on Curtis’ contract renewal. Can you image keeping your job in this situation, even if it’s not all his fault?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    What’s going to be truly nuts is that Curtis probably still believes he did a good job and Manning won’t fire him because it’s a poor reflection on Curtis’ contract renewal. Can you image keeping your job in this situation, even if it’s not all his fault?
    I wouldn't be 100% sure of that. Sports is different from other fields, people can be fired even shortly after a renewal.

Case in point: Houston just fired their GM after he was renewed last December.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-30-2021 at 04:13 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everybody is getting fired for this. Bogers is going to napalm this whole s$&$#show. It's not even a question anymore. Way way way too much money spent - for this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everybody is getting fired for this. Bogers is going to napalm this whole s$&$#show. It's not even a question anymore. Way way way too much money spent - for this.
    That fitness department & the physios better be gone along with Curtis & a bunch of players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless Larry T has an idea how to find a good soccer president, I don't think the carpet bombing of the FO includes Manning. Manning has tremendous value for MLSE with the Argos (who are slowly getting their act together on the field & off it - attendance is a 10 year project for them, not a 3 year). The more likely move is to get a well known name in MLS circles to run the soccer operations - the more I think about it, the lack of movement at the trade deadline was likely Manning going to the board with a plan of how to fix this in the off season & them agreeing to let it get to that point by the beginning of the offseason.

There will be people available in December/January that could run this team - out of contract situations happen every year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^The current group, not Leiweke, hired Manning. Right around the same time Friisdahl came in. So with time I guess they can do it.

This is Friisdahl's job to figure out. It does boggle the mind that Friisdahl has been here almost six years and hasn’t made a single hire in the sports side of the business. This guy has had the cakewalk of all cakewalk jobs! So yeah - who knows anything about how anything might work here?

They should not be keeping Manning because of the Argos. They can find 100 people qualified to run the business side there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They could move Manning to the Argos full-time, and hire another president/GM to run TFC.