Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match day 26 - TFC @ Portland Wed August 29 10:30pm - Burnng Down the House

Have at It People

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is going to be a rough week for the team. Injuries have ravaged our squad once again, and they have to cross the whole continent twice in 1 week. I don't get why MLS decided to schedule a midweek west coast match against Portland then a home game against LAFC on the weekend; this will take a toll on our squad and test their fitness.

We need 3 points as usual, but Portland will be battling for 3 points themselves. They've lost 3 on the trot after a long undefeated streak, and they'll definitely dominate the game on their home ground. We might stand a chance if they don't have Chara in the midfield. He's good at taking control of matches and plays similarly to Bradley (except he's better defensively). We'll definitely be set up to counter against Portland, but we should be ready for Portland to dominate the game and bombard our goal with fast-paced attacks.

I do hope that Vanney starts us with a back 3, but given the lack of numbers in our team, we might start off with the same diamond setup. I honestly don't get why Telfer doesn't get a sniff at left wing back ahead of Morgan. Morgan always appears unfit and slow, and Telfer has played enough at left wing back to not be uncomfortable there. Regardless, we need to be adept at defending the wide areas as that's where we are at our weakest.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id be happy with a point from this one. Its going to be a tough one especially with yet another game this weekend.

You got to figure that Irwin gets the start.
    Play-by-Play Commentator for League 1 Ontario.
    Twitter (@MartinOmes)
    Road Trips: LA Galaxy, FC Cincinnati, Montreal (x2), Columbus (x3), NYCFC, NY Red Bulls, DC United, Atlanta, and Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO Giovinco and Vasquez won't be playing as it's turf and they have a knock... Preferred if they are rested for Saturday

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Statement game here. This is the one. TFC with their backs against it, in an impossible spot.

We win it, and we are back.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind Jozy & MMMBop* up top & giving Seba the flight off.

*Everytime they speak his last name, this is all I can think of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC are sitting at an 11.8% chance to make it into the playoffs. If they can pull off wins in Portland and vs. LAFC, playoff chances will keep going up (naturally).
    http://www.sportsclubstats.com/USA/MLS.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we might be in tough here. Giovinco has some kind of nagging muscle injury and Vanney will probably prefer having him available for our home games than risking him in this one. He reportedly trained in the gym today rather than with the squad on the field, and after his 2nd goal yesterday you can clearly see him wincing twice in the celebrations. Plus him being upset about the field after the game, I'm guessing he pulled something.

Mavinga and Auro both didn't train today either, not even in the gym.

Offensively we might be looking at an Altidore-Janson partnership up top.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland went on a massive 15 game unbeaten run - then lost the last 4. They will be ticked after the loss at home to the Sounders.

They are as mentally fragile as us. They love to counter but have problems beating teams who sit back in a block. This game could end up looking a lot like the the second half of the Montreal game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am thinking a line-up close to this:

Irwin
    VDW -- Hagglund -- Moor -- Morrow
    ---------------- Bradley --------------
    ---- Osorio -- Vazquez -- Delgado ---
    --------- Janson ---- Altidore --------
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chapman not VV (nagging injury). Possibly Morgan not Morrow. Morrow isn't quite right, I wonder if he also has a nagging injury

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, team took a charter to Portland.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    FWIW, team took a charter to Portland.
    That’s so they can get out directly back to Toronto right after the game. Charters just make for easier travel when it’s not a major city with constant flights.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Vanney wants to get cute with his minutes from Giovinco and Vazquez then he should take them out early instead of bringing them on late. Let's not have another San Jose repeat.

If they are completely unhealthy that's another thing; but every game here on out is must win. We're not really in a position to "save" there minutes for later; because there may not be an opportunity later

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    If Vanney wants to get cute with his minutes from Giovinco and Vazquez then he should take them out early instead of bringing them on late. Let's not have another San Jose repeat.

If they are completely unhealthy that's another thing; but every game here on out is must win.
    Jordan Hamilton did make the trip. So you have Seba, Jozy, Janson and him in the mix up front?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was at the Impact game on Sat and they had a great first 30 min knocking the ball around like the TFC of the past two years, at the end of the game they looked burned out. Even with Vasquez and Morrow at 60% they look a lot better I understand Seba resting but this like the Quakes match is not the time to play around, If you want to make the playoffs you play to win the game you only have 9 of them left and they are all mostly must wins. It is frustrating beyond belief to have the travel schedule we have had plus the injuries of everyone on the team. VAR costed us about 9 points? But more so is our medical staff guys coming back for one half or one game only to sit out 3 to 4. I hope Seba can travel and play at least a half an hour but i'm not holding my breath. A lot of Portland's attacks come out wide something we have had trouble defending all year I full expect us to come out and bunker for one point. We had 1 shot that game? We need to attack more in road games and play to win. No more of this tactical sit back and try to hit them on the counter because that is Where we are in trouble when Bradley Zavs and Hagglund are ran at because it opens up space. If that is our game plan we lose 2-0 at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by matteo30 View Post
    I was at the Impact game on Sat and they had a great first 30 min knocking the ball around like the TFC of the past two years, at the end of the game they looked burned out. Even with Vasquez and Morrow at 60% they look a lot better I understand Seba resting but this like the Quakes match is not the time to play around, If you want to make the playoffs you play to win the game you only have 9 of them left and they are all mostly must wins. It is frustrating beyond belief to have the travel schedule we have had plus the injuries of everyone on the team. VAR costed us about 9 points? But more so is our medical staff guys coming back for one half or one game only to sit out 3 to 4. I hope Seba can travel and play at least a half an hour but i'm not holding my breath. A lot of Portland's attacks come out wide something we have had trouble defending all year I full expect us to come out and bunker for one point. We had 1 shot that game? We need to attack more in road games and play to win. No more of this tactical sit back and try to hit them on the counter because that is Where we are in trouble when Bradley Zavs and Hagglund are ran at because it opens up space. If that is our game plan we lose 2-0 at least.

In short, if Hamilton and Zavaleta are both on the pitch; we are in trouble!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jon Bakero is in Portland so one of Seba or Altidore stayed home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Jon Bakero is in Portland so one of Seba or Altidore stayed home.
    I guess we can afford to lose this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    I guess we can afford to lose this one.
    looks like we are playing for the tie here tonight

from bet 365
    opening odds for tfc win were 3.0 or 33% chance of a tfc win, now odds 4.0 or 25% chance of tfc win
    expected points based on the odds is 1.02 points for tonights game
    looks like we are living to fight another day

from now on all the games there is adequate rest time between games and no really far away games, away games RYRB, DC, and Montreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think we have ever won in Portland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magmadragon View Post
    I don't think we have ever won in Portland until tonight.
    Fixed that for you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did Giovinco travel?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philly is dominating DCU. Probably good for TFC.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC released lineup on instagram

Irwin
    Morrow-Hagglund-Telfer
    Chapman-Delgado-Bradley-Fraser
    Bakero-Altidore-Janson

Bench: Bono, Morgan, Hernandez, Zavaleta, Akinola, Hamilton, Ricketts

I took a guess at formation based on roster

No Seba, Vasquez, Osorio, VdW, Mavinga

very Champions League MLS match looking squad
    Last edited by rydermike; 08-29-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah this is a loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, what a lineup. One natural center back

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A DC win would maybe have been better, have philly drop 3 -keep them in range, United have three tough games on the trot ATL, and the 2 NY clubs so they are likely going to drop points anyway.

regardless we have to take care of business

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost looks like we're going with the legendary gitoni/foosball 2-5-3 formation