0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    Mi chiamano Mimmo!
    They call me Mimmo!

Unsung hero...
    His name is Mimmo, he's Napoletano...
    Played for Genoa, was their Capitano...

A fine - class addition to TFC.
    Fine command of the English language as well.

Another assist by that Michael guy ehh?
    '...gave a good ball to me'
    Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    He’s been my favourite Italian so far.

Michele: Bro!
    Mimmo: Bro!
    Michele: Com'onnn you!
    Mimmo: Nah, you!
    Michele: Bro!... grazie a Dio... your here!
    Mimmo: Bro!... I got you... tutto bene!
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 08-18-2022 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Grammar

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was our most expensive player with the responsibilities that come with that. He’s never going to flat out state he wants to be gone. But he wasn’t adapting, wasn’t being used properly. It was obvious that the fit wasn’t good. You don’t shoehorn him into a false nine under those circumstances.
    You really think he wouldn't be able to fit in with Insigne, Berna, Bradley and the rest of the group!?!? Whether he's on the field replacing Nelson or Jimenez I can 100% assure you our results would be better.
    Last edited by DinamoTFC; 08-18-2022 at 11:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinamoTFC View Post
    You really think he wouldn't be able to fit in with Insigne, Berna, Bradley and the rest of the group!?!? Whether he's on the field replacing Nelson or Jimenez I can 100% assure you our results would be better.
    You’re missing my point entirely.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though it's not what los sonadores was getting at, I will say no, he wouldn't fit in as a #9 because he would instictively do exactly what JJ is doing wrong; dropping too deep and not being in the typical target #9 zone when the ball is coming in from both flanks. Poz needs the ball to go through the middle and if that's what we were going to do then we just wasted $25M on wide players.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poz would be dropping back to the wings to pickup the ball - what Insigne & Bernadeschi do already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At best, we would have keep Poz here for six months and after that he would have skipped town. Questionable how motivated he might have stayed under the circumstances.

It’s square-peg, round role type of stuff here.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Even though it's not what los sonadores was getting at, I will say no, he wouldn't fit in as a #9 because he would instictively do exactly what JJ is doing wrong; dropping too deep and not being in the typical target #9 zone when the ball is coming in from both flanks. Poz needs the ball to go through the middle and if that's what we were going to do then we just wasted $25M on wide players.
    You've hit on something very important. I've realized from my own past coaching experience that there are two types of highly talented players:

(1) "Left brained" talented players who think very logically but are super fast at that logic. They take direction well, analyze the game well, and can be played in different formations and strategies. They can even do decently playing a different position if they know the plays well enough. Osorio is a good example of this kind of player for TFC.

(2) "Right brained" talented instinctual players. These players don't do logic, instead they've developed a highly-honed "feel" for the game. They just know where to be at the right time to make plays happen. They are much less flexible, however, as they can't use logic well to over-ride their instincts, even though they might try.

Pozuelo is the second type of player. Very talented, but you build the system and the team around him if you want him. There's no way he bends into a false 9 to fit BB's system. That's where his frustration came from; he liked Toronto and wanted to play with talented players like Insigne but couldn't make himself fit the system. So this is why we are getting mixed messages of him both wanting to be here and be somewhere else.

MB by the way is a hybrid of these two types, which makes him a unique and interesting player that would be fun to work with.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-19-2022 at 10:26 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Poz would be dropping back to the wings to pickup the ball - what Insigne & Bernadeschi do already.
    We still have this issue with Jesus. He's an inverted winger (outside forward for those of us over 50), not a number nine, which is why he drifts high and wide and is out of position to make runs.

But his interplay makes it worth seeing if he can adapt and stay central.

Ayo's also a converted winger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    We still have this issue with Jesus. He's an inverted winger (outside forward for those of us over 50), not a number nine, which is why he drifts high and wide and is out of position to make runs.

I will give it to Ayo that he learned where to be as a 9 but he just doesn't look physically up to it yet. I agree with Jiminez. I think if he simplified his game and forced himself to stick to a zone or play off the shoulder of the last defender he would be doing himself a favor. At least until he gets in sync with what's happening now.

And what is it with Jozy and now Ayo as bigger, stronger type central forwards that can never win aerial battles?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think all the above Pozuelo posts/observations are correct. In short, positionally speaking, he’s not at his best either as a 9 or a winger and Bradley doesn’t use a 10… so it’s no surprise he’s no longer here.

Ayo’s an interesting one in the sense that he was an effective winger for the US young Nats and Vanney converted him under the guidance of Jozy. He’s often, to me, not looked entirely comfortable in that role, still regularly has trouble holding up the ball, for example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Yeah, I’m still hoping JJ has a role moving forward. He would at least be good depth in all three forward positions. What sort of money is he on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I’m still hoping JJ has a role moving forward. He would at least be good depth in all three forward positions. What sort of money is he on?
    He's on $935k.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only way he could stay as a bench option is if they really do a number on the salary cap or allocation $$$ amounts.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me clarify a couple things. I'm not talking about Poz long term fitting in, but rather short term for the second half of season and playoff push. Also too much focus is being put on him as a false 9 (which is plan B) and not in the midfield.

Since Pozuelo left we have had 9 games.
    Nelson started 7 and Kaye 2.

Without comparing Kaye and Poz and people's preferences. Knowing Kaye was riding an injury when being signed. That's 7 games Poz could have and would have contributed more to results than Nelson. Not hating on Nelson at this moment to be clear.

This is a playoff push that didn't need to be so extremely difficult is my point.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a reminder that Poz leaving opened the door to Bernardeschi.....Salcedo told the team he needed to leave after Poz was all but gone. Not saying Bernardeschi wouldn't have signed without Poz going but it wouldn't have been so quick or the timing as good as it seems to have been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me clarify a couple things. I'm not talking about Poz long term fitting in, but rather short term for the second half of season and playoff push. Also too much focus is being put on him as a false 9 (which is plan B) and not in the midfield.

Without comparing Kaye and Poz and people's preferences. Knowing Kaye was riding an injury when being signed. That's 7 games Poz could have and would have contributed more to results than Nelson. Not hating on Nelson at this moment to be clear.

This is a playoff push that didn't need to be so extremely difficult is my point.
    What is also disappointing is that we didn't get much in return for Poz.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    We are not paying Poz's salary for the second half of 2022. YOU got almost nothing but MLSE made out with something.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We got the ability to move towards Berenardeschi quicker.

Player acquirement is not linear a la Football Manager.

As in all talent recruitment for all organizations, there were a lot of 3 dimensional movements going on - I wouldn't call this chess as the pieces do not have movement restrictions that much & chess implies strategic rigour which life does not have to endure.

(I am a firm believer in the application of chaos theory to organizational structures -complex systems theory attempts to make this into a science but I prefer to just enjoy the chaos)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Agreed my favourite player. And you get bet he will put on a show tonight and burn us big time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    We got the ability to move towards Berenardeschi quicker.

Player acquirement is not linear a la Football Manager.

As in all talent recruitment for all organizations, there were a lot of 3 dimensional movements going on - I wouldn't call this chess as the pieces do not have movement restrictions that much & chess implies strategic rigour which life does not have to endure.

(I am a firm believer in the application of chaos theory to organizational structures -complex systems theory attempts to make this into a science but I prefer to just enjoy the chaos)
    Might you also be suggesting that Lorenzian Chaos gave us Lorenzo?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with everything you are saying, it’s something one of the journos can ask Bob, but on second thought he will give us the old song and dance, sure would be nice to have Poz with us instead of against us tonight

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    I agree with everything you are saying, it’s something one of the journos can ask Bob, but on second thought he will give us the old song and dance, sure would be nice to have Poz with us instead of against us tonight
    The explanation on why Poz wouldn't be any better than JJ at 9 is above. Pretty easy to understand why he wouldn't work there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should be noted that BB was asked the game before Poz left what was going on with Poz & BB went into a 5 minute discussion of how much they tried to get Poz to fit.

The idea that BB gave up on Poz is ludicrous. Like all things, there is a bit of grey involved in this. Poz does not fit BB's system - nor does it fit life with Insigne - he especially wouldn't fit life with Insigne, Bernadeschi & Domenic Crisicto doing his best impression of a playmaker who just happens to play LB (Criscito often ends games with the most passes on the team).