Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    Just finished watching the press conference and the interviews online, as I was at work when it all went down. All sounds good. Does Winter not know the team's called Toronto FC and not FC Toronto? Also Bob de Clerk, that cat's got style.
    I don't mind that he called the team FC Toronto, because that is essentially what we are, a football club.

Sure as Hell beats "the FC".
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished watching the press conference and the interviews online, as I was at work when it all went down. All sounds good. Does Winter not know the team's called Toronto FC and not FC Toronto? Also Bob de Clerk, that cat's got style.
    Part of the dutch grammar. They (like the Germans) mix up the order of things. The fact he calls it FC Toronto means he's thinking of it in his own language.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has to do with sentence structure in different parts of the world and different languages. It wouldn't make sense to him any other way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the reporters who asked a question referred to the team as "the FC"... so frustrating as a fan to hear that.. Anyway, make sure you check out the cbc interviews.. As mentioned previously, JK is such a smart dude and I really hope he remains connected with the team in the future.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blowing Bubbles View Post
    Why are Daso/Brennan/Cochrane all here still? Wish we just had a full housecleaning happen.

Are these guys going to be given "make work" projects or are they being forced upon the new regime into important roles like Asst GM?
    You know, I was thinking the exact same thing but as I read the articles on what the plans are, listen to the interviews with the 3 new musketeers, and listen to Klinsman, I realize what many have already mentioned - that this plan goes beyond just making a competitive team for this coming season.

Like it has been said many times, this is about finally establishing a long-term identity for the club. The architecture of an identity must begin even before the first team. It has to begin with the academy and very young kids who will hopefully one day be groomed from start to finish using TFC's football, whatever that turns out to be. The theory is that the new team presented today will be the source of the knowledge necessary to make this happen. However, as much as I can see them having an interest for the challenge and would like to believe they will be around to see their project succeed, I wouldn't be surprised if after 3 years (if not before) they pack and leave. That is if they are not booted before. Having said that, I'm not so sure that the plan of establishing an identity all the way from U7s to the first team can be accomplished in 3 years or less so we need someone who will very likely stay with the club for a long time soaking up as much knowledge as possible. I don't think there is better choice than Daso/Jimmy/Earl? Maybe I'm wrong.

The bottom line is that you cannot perpetually depend on consultants (because that's what they really are IMO) coming in to implement this out for you. You need the house to retain that knowledge so the identity is cemented all throughout the club for the long term. A perfect example of this is Barcelona - Cruyff came in and established his philosophy for over 8 years ("officially" lol). That time was enough to allow the players, club's staff at all levels, members, janitors, you name it .. eat breathe and sleep his style of play. That took some time but now they're seeing the rewards as La Masia is a bloody factory of superb players all intimately familiar with Barca's football. All of them managed by in-house managers who also understand the philosophy very well. They have a lot of pride in that, and they bloody should (politics aside). Unfortunately, due to the nature of the sport here, I doubt we'll have that much time so we need the house to start soaking up as much of that knowledge as possible.

Patience from the fans is going to be key here. We are probably not going to win the MLS cup this year (although with MLS you never know) nor are we going to become the next ajax or barca over night... but if they do it right..fuck..our kids will wear the red (TFC and Canada) very proudly. Exciting times!

or you know..they're just bloody good at selling hope lol.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loconet View Post
    You know, I was thinking the exact same thing but as I read the articles on what the plans are, listen to the interviews with the 3 new musketeers, and listen to Klinsman, I realize what many have already mentioned - that this plan goes beyond just making a competitive team for this coming season.

Like it has been said many times, this is about finally establishing a long-term identity for the club. The architecture of an identity must begin even before the first team. It has to begin with the academy and very young kids who will hopefully one day be groomed from start to finish using TFC's football, whatever that turns out to be. The theory is that the new team presented today will be the source of the knowledge necessary to make this happen. However, as much as I can see them having an interest for the challenge and would like to believe they will be around to see their project succeed, I wouldn't be surprised if after 3 years (if not before) they pack and leave. That is if they are not booted before. Having said that, I'm not so sure that the plan of establishing an identity all the way from U7s to the first team can be accomplished in 3 years or less so we need someone who will very likely stay with the club for a long time soaking up as much knowledge as possible. I don't think there is better choice than Daso/Jimmy/Earl? Maybe I'm wrong.

The bottom line is that you cannot perpetually depend on consultants (because that's what they really are IMO) coming in to implement this out for you. You need the house to retain that knowledge so the identity is cemented all throughout the club for the long term. A perfect example of this is Barcelona - Cruyff came in and established his philosophy for over 8 years ("officially" lol). That time was enough to allow the players, club's staff at all levels, members, janitors, you name it .. eat breathe and sleep his style of play. That took some time but now they're seeing the rewards as La Masia is a bloody factory of superb players all intimately familiar with Barca's football. All of them managed by in-house managers who also understand the philosophy very well. They have a lot of pride in that, and they bloody should (politics aside). Unfortunately, due to the nature of the sport here, I doubt we'll have that much time so we need the house to start soaking up as much of that knowledge as possible.

Patience from the fans is going to be key here. We are probably not going to win the MLS cup this year (although with MLS you never know) nor are we going to become the next ajax or barca over night... but if they do it right..fuck..our kids will wear the red (TFC and Canada) very proudly. Exciting times!

+1,000

This is TOTALLY what I came away with from the presser. MLSE seems to actually be SERIOUS about putting a good product on the pitch.
    BUT THIS WILL TAKE TIME.
    I think this is also why MLSE went Dutch for this decision just out of the knowledge that Dutch have a system for football that will, in time, take on a life of it's own....but this will take time.
    As supporters we need to have the utmost patience with this process knowing that when it's all said and done TFC may be what DC United was when the league first started...a DYNASTY!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Beach Red said, it was perfectly understandable that TFC went cheap at the start (even if frustrating). Especially given that soccer had "failed" before in Toronto, they were hoping that by keeping costs low, and by getting at least 13,000 fans out to each game (i.e. Blizzard levels), they might possibly break even after several years.

Then the first game came with 20,000 red clad screaming fans... and the rest was history.

Going "low-end" was the norm for MLS in 2006 (when they were making their plans). At that time, the salary budget was under $2 million, there were no DPs, and for most clubs the GM also did Paul B.'s role of selling tickets.

Now, with soccer being an established success, and Vancouver setting the example (and still making money), they are trying to go with a full effort to be a quality club. We should support this initiative, they are going in the right direction. Hopefully, the right people have been selected, and that time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    +1,000

This is TOTALLY what I came away with from the presser. MLSE seems to actually be SERIOUS about putting a good product on the pitch.
    BUT THIS WILL TAKE TIME.
    I think this is also why MLSE went Dutch for this decision just out of the knowledge that Dutch have a system for football that will, in time, take on a life of it's own....but this will take time.
    As supporters we need to have the utmost patience with this process knowing that when it's all said and done TFC may be what DC United was when the league first started...a DYNASTY!
    Well said. The parallels to DC United in the early years actually are quite strong, those who followed the league in those years can easily see the similarities. And yes... we should be patient.

Coincidentally, DC in their prime years, played a 4-3-3 (although their style was Latino, not Dutch).
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-07-2011 at 07:07 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    Why the negative attitude against them?
    I don't get how getting rid of them is going to help the club long term.
    Agreed BUT it all depends on how they handle the news.

All of them have career aspirations and are competitive. It's got them where they are. So, Dasovic for example, he wants to be a head coach. He got a taste of it. He wanted to be this team's next coach. His current ownership said, thanks but you aren't ready yet.

Does he take the opportunity to learn and develop and wait for his turn? Does he sabotage the current coach (doesn't have to be intentional or overt, just simple comments when a coach and player are at odds)? Does he put his time in at TFC while shopping his resume around?

No reason to suspect he (or the others) would do anything other than what is asked of them. But a lot of their future depends on the choices they make under this new structure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but did anyone else notice they were using the Year 1 Scarf and Ball?

http://www.torontofc.ca/sites/defaul...11/01/Team.jpg

I thought it was odd when I first saw the scarves (especially since the TFC logo was poorly done), but then thought maybe this was a clever way of saying this is a new Year 1 for the club.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frick View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but did anyone else notice they were using the Year 1 Scarf and Ball?

I thought it was odd when I first saw the scarves (especially since the TFC logo was poorly done), but then thought maybe this was a clever way of saying this is a new Year 1 for the club.
    i think youre on to something there. too bad it took 5 years to get to year one, HA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    .. given that soccer had "failed" before in Toronto...
    This is the most incorrect and over used term when it comes to describing the sport in this city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the quotation marks are there for a reason. Aka it didn't fail here but the league went down and took the team with it. Which was a possibility for MLS as well when they joined.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loconet, very well said!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is the most incorrect and over used term when it comes to describing the sport in this city.
    The history of the sport in the city is littered with folded, disbanded teams, and half hearted attempts at putting teams together.

So I don't see how that's incorrect.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Beach Red said, it was perfectly understandable that TFC went cheap at the start (even if frustrating). Especially given that soccer had "failed" before in Toronto, they were hoping that by keeping costs low, and by getting at least 13,000 fans out to each game (i.e. Blizzard levels), they might possibly break even after several years.

Then the first game came with 20,000 red clad screaming fans... and the rest was history.

Going "low-end" was the norm for MLS in 2006 (when they were making their plans). At that time, the salary budget was under $2 million, there were no DPs, and for most clubs the GM also did Paul B.'s role of selling tickets.

Now, with soccer being an established success, and Vancouver setting the example (and still making money), they are trying to go with a full effort to be a quality club. We should support this initiative, they are going in the right direction. Hopefully, the right people have been selected, and that time will tell.

Well said. The parallels to DC United in the early years actually are quite strong, those who followed the league in those years can easily see the similarities. And yes... we should be patient.

Coincidentally, DC in their prime years, played a 4-3-3 (although their style was Latino, not Dutch).

Pretty much bang on. TFC may be only 5 years old but looking at it from MLS terms, we are covering 2 different eras. TFC's entry was also the start of a new era for MLS and TFC helped usher in change. We have to be at least a LITTLE understanding of the fact that they didn't have a "TFC" to learn from themselves, it was all "learn as you go" for TFC. The teams that came after had the luxury of probably the best launch in MLS history to learn from and of course improved on that model.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'soccer' didn't fail in Toronto, but 'professional soccer teams' sure did. There's a big difference.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frick View Post

Marketing departments make their money by pushing suggestive images just like you mentioned. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was intentional.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loconet View Post
    ... However, as much as I can see them having an interest for the challenge and would like to believe they will be around to see their project succeed, I wouldn't be surprised if after 3 years (if not before) they pack and leave. That is if they are not booted before. Having said that, I'm not so sure that the plan of establishing an identity all the way from U7s to the first team can be accomplished in 3 years or less so we need someone who will very likely stay with the club for a long time soaking up as much knowledge as possible. I don't think there is better choice than Daso/Jimmy/Earl? Maybe I'm wrong.

Agree. It finally sounds like they are trying to build a Football Club and not just rushing to put a team together.

And i would like to see Daso/Jimmy/Earl stay with a club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    The history of the sport in the city is littered with folded, disbanded teams, and half hearted attempts at putting teams together.

So I don't see how that's incorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    'soccer' didn't fail in Toronto, but 'professional soccer teams' sure did. There's a big difference.
    Incorrect on both.

Toronto Metros Croatia was getting about 10,000 fans (an ethnic team with less than half of today's ethnic population). Some games selling out or getting in the high teens of thousands. Sold to Global and called the Blizzard where they played out of CNE stadium getting 20,000 plus regularly. The Soccer Bowl hosted here was 10x more visible in the city than this past MLS Cup final here and sold out with plus 50,000.
    The Blizzard was one of 2 teams left standing when the league folded.
    That doesn't make the sport fail here. You can't have a league with 2 teams.
    The people have always been here. If there was a 'failure' it was on the ownership end, whether at club or league level. Fans never gave up on it in this city. MLSE knew that too when they bought in.
    What gets me is reading media reports or talking to people who don't know much about the history of the game in this city is the inference of failure of the sport professionally here because of the fans which is simply not the case.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I know the history of the Metros Croatia and the Blizzard, and the Toronto Falcons and Toronto City before them.

Unfortunately it still goes on the record books as a failure.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and what was happening in Toronto immediately prior to TFC?
    A few thousand people (on a nice sunny day) out at Centennial Park?

sure there were peaks in the sport's success over the years, but the decade before TFC was a bit of a low.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great management team.

Except Anselmi.......what a weird looking bloke he is.

The Anselmi were the inhabitants of the ocean planet Glee Anselm. They shared the planet with the Nautolans. Both races evolved naturally on the planet, the Nautolans under the water and the Anselmi on what little landmasses there were. Competition for land most likely led to the Anselmi turning into a warlike race. However, as the Nautolans gradually came to the surface and acquired land, they were able to use their natural abilities and strength to overcome the Anselmi. The Nautolans made up the majority of the population, as the Anselmi continually warred amongst themselves diminishing their numbers on the planet.

Yes, its true.. I don't like you one lil bit and now you know for sure ;) DWI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incorrect on both.

Toronto Metros Croatia was getting about 10,000 fans (an ethnic team with less than half of today's ethnic population). Some games selling out or getting in the high teens of thousands. Sold to Global and called the Blizzard where they played out of CNE stadium getting 20,000 plus regularly. The Soccer Bowl hosted here was 10x more visible in the city than this past MLS Cup final here and sold out with plus 50,000.
    The Blizzard was one of 2 teams left standing when the league folded.
    That doesn't make the sport fail here. You can't have a league with 2 teams.
    The people have always been here. If there was a 'failure' it was on the ownership end, whether at club or league level. Fans never gave up on it in this city. MLSE knew that too when they bought in.
    What gets me is reading media reports or talking to people who don't know much about the history of the game in this city is the inference of failure of the sport professionally here because of the fans which is simply not the case.
    My dad used to go to the games way back when and said it was nothing but immigrants in the stands looking to watch some footy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBaron95 View Post
    My dad used to go to the games way back when and said it was nothing but immigrants in the stands looking to watch some footy.
    Like us then.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think the quotation marks are there for a reason. Aka it didn't fail here but the league went down and took the team with it. Which was a possibility for MLS as well when they joined.
    I actually don't think that soccer failed at all. I was referring to MLSE's probable perception, and why they would go cheap at first. I put "failed" in quotes because it's an inaccurate but common perception.

In the Blizzard's case, the league failed in that it went under. The fans were always here.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually don't think that soccer failed at all. I was referring to MLSE's probable perception, and why they would go cheap at first. I put "failed" in quotes because it's an inaccurate but common perception.

yeah, soccer was working at a very small level (comparable to the Toronto Rock or an OHL team for number level of tickets sold and revenue).

For MLSE to buy into soccer being bigger than that, it took a risk. It was a well calculated risk, but a risk nonetheless.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For MLSE to buy into soccer being bigger than that, it took a risk. It was a well calculated risk, but a risk nonetheless.
    ... and it was based on a model of selling 13-14k tickets, and struggling to eventually be a minor profit centre.

MLSE were wrong, but so were we. Nobody predicted what eventually happened. The most optimistic estimate (one hopeful individual) was 18-19k on our message board at the time, and most people though 12-14k.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-07-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Yes, its true.. I don't like you one lil bit and now you know for sure ;) DWI
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Davenport View Post
    Like us then.
    minus the immigrant status lol

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im just really excited for another five year plan. Thats the best part.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    Im just really excited for another five year plan. Thats the best part.

I think they'll be on a much shorter leash than Mo was. They're talking 2 years. Why such pessimism? Couldn't they make a good decision for once?