Hybrid View

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Have you watched Mexico? I'd put their league much higher up your scale. Definitely up there with Portugal et al.
    No. I will take your word for it. Mexico is hard to evaluate.

Mexican teams have a poor record in Copa Libertadores.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

It is a weird league because it is somewhat isolated. The playing style is unique and they have a huge (not Brazil huge, but still huge) structure and talent pool. It's somewhat more international now, but it used to be even more insular. When you do compare the big name teams against the South American giants, they should do well, but often come up a bit short. But watching the play, the skill of the players and the amount of talent they produce on a regular basis, I'd put them in that third tier. But probably on their performance internationally, they'd be closer to 3.5, if you will. And they are as obsessed as anyone with the sport.

Anyway, this isn't really transfer talk, so I'll stop, but I do enjoy the Liga MX.

Edit: Actually, this article makes me think I'm relying more on bias and nostalgia, as this statistical analysis would seem to support your assertion that they are further down the scale. Interestingly, England is also ranked below Argentina, France and Brazil. I wonder what criteria they use to determine this. The article mentions performance at both the local and international level, but doesn't give much detail beyond that. Perhaps a topic for another discussion.

http://www.excelsior.com.mx/adrenali.../01/07/1067415
    Last edited by Jack; 05-15-2016 at 03:03 PM.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Mexican side Tigres UANL lost in the final last year. i would say that is doing pretty good.