Page 23 of 174 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Given that he's lost the starting job to Dayne St. Clair but is a solid starting keeper in this league -- and Bob's former keeper at LAFC -- I wonder if we're angling to sign Tyler Miller somehow.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/tyler-m...spieler/353479
    i seem to remember he wasn't great, but would definitely be an upgrade on Bono (league has fully passed him by, sadly).

they should be going all out for sean johnson if possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe this is a misplaced observation but IiRC Tyler Miller is Bono-esque with the ball at his feet.

Keeper position feeling increasingly important these days (especially with Bob trying to have the guys play out of the back). I might say go-big or go home on this one and Tyler Miller isn’t far enough above average to be our guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Upgrade on Bono” should not be the metric we use to gauge whether a keeper would be a good get.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/ManuelVeth/statu...81874522251264

Source! Pacific FC free agent Marco Bustos is going on trial with #TFCLive. Bradley is very interested in the #CanPL star and a permanent move is certainly a possibility.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they should be going all out for sean johnson if possible.
    I don't like what I see from him a lot either but I know he is good. He does have a few Bono moments per match usually. Had a few yesterday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

Source! Pacific FC free agent Marco Bustos is going on trial with #TFCLive. Bradley is very interested in the #CanPL star and a permanent move is certainly a possibility.
    I mean sure, I guess?

Is a midfielder who won't even make the bench a priority right now? Bradley shouldn't be allowed to drive this car, take his keys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s a trial, not much to lose but I would say Bustos is unlikely to make the cut.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I mean sure, I guess?

Is a midfielder who won't even make the bench a priority right now? Bradley shouldn't be allowed to drive this car, take his keys.
    he'd be a backup winger and probably insanely cheap if he does sign (no transfer fee, maybe 150K salary).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Maybe this is a misplaced observation but IiRC Tyler Miller is Bono-esque with the ball at his feet.

Keeper position feeling increasingly important these days (especially with Bob trying to have the guys play out of the back). I might say go-big or go home on this one and Tyler Miller isn’t far enough above average to be our guy.
    His short distribution is really good, which is why he worked well in Bob's system in LA. His long passing is Bono shitty. But he's not error prone, great shot stopper and can command his box.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I note that even though he's out of favor in DC, Hamid still had three shutouts in his 10 starts. Given the defence ahead of him, that's not bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s a trial, not much to lose but I would say Bustos is unlikely to make the cut.
    I mean, a hole player at what is essentially USL II level, and he's not the best at that level, not with 10 total points contributed in 33 games. The odds suggest he has zero chance.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, a hole player at what is essentially USL II level, and he's not the best at that level, not with 10 total points contributed in 33 games. The odds suggest he has zero chance.
    yep, although g/a stats aren't everything, i doubt that he's at a level where he can contribute to a team challenging in MLS.

happy to be proven wrong if it comes to it though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep, although g/a stats aren't everything, i doubt that he's at a level where he can contribute to a team challenging in MLS.

happy to be proven wrong if it comes to it though.
    Some guys just step up the intensity more easily than expected. There's a striker playing for Bournemouth this year, Kieffer Moore, who has literally worked his way up to the Prem from non-league football, and he had two goals last week against Tottenham.

In 2017 he was still at Forest Green Rovers, at age 25 with a career-best seven goals in a season. Now he's a 30 year old starting in the best league in the world.
    Last edited by jloome; 10-31-2022 at 06:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I note that even though he's out of favor in DC, Hamid still had three shutouts in his 10 starts. Given the defence ahead of him, that's not bad.
    Hamid is a great keeper, but hasn’t he been really injury prone the last few years? Pretty sure that I read somewhere that is why he has fallen out of favour. Personally I would really like the team to get away from taking chances on injury prone players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Hamid is a great keeper, but hasn’t he been really injury prone the last few years? Pretty sure that I read somewhere that is why he has fallen out of favour. Personally I would really like the team to get away from taking chances on injury prone players.
    I wouldn't say prone, but he's had a few longer spells, a couple of groin pulls. He was out with a broken finger for most of this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given their needs and the respective players' quality, I'd say it's a good bet both Brandon Vasquez and Kai Wagner go to Leeds United in the offseason. Looks like Facundo Torres at Orlando is headed to Arsenal, potentially.

The leagues are getting closer and closer every year; we're going to lose a lot more players from MLS this year than any other, I imagine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he'd be a backup winger and probably insanely cheap if he does sign (no transfer fee, maybe 150K salary).
    That point is that they should be spending time trying to fill the gaps in spots 3-11 on this roster. Not that Bustos couldn’t play a role in spots 21-28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say prone, but he's had a few longer spells, a couple of groin pulls. He was out with a broken finger for most of this season.
    That’s not horrible, but the groin pulls sound a little worrisome. Otherwise, he seems like one of the best clutch keepers in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew Moor vibes here if the plan is to replicate the 2015 offseason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember watching Euro 202(1) last year and seeing this commericial every other commercial break

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Pacific to TFC pipeline is a thing I guess. Suspect it is rooted in the relationship between Rob Friend and Stalts.

I look at who LAFC and Philly have as depth players, and they look better than CPL 26 year olds to me. But I have not watched enough CPL to have a big opinion.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This Pacific to TFC pipeline is a thing I guess. Suspect it is rooted in the relationship between Rob Friend and Stalts.

I look at who LAFC and Philly have as depth players, and they look better than CPL 26 year olds to me. But I have not watched enough CPL to have a big opinion.
    I think there is the odd CPL player who can be picked off and converted to MLS. But, for the most part, guys will struggle to catch on.

Really, we need to be setting our sights higher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As we saw this year, having quality depth is important - we were desperately short handed too often this season. MacNaughton ended up being worth a decent 3rd (maybe 4th) CB on a very low salary. Chung was a miss. A 50% hit rate on low salary players is fine. I'd be more interested in Borges coming in on a trial however, but this is fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pa Modou Kah was Seattle's assistant when Andy Rose, Bob's son-in-law, was playing there. The two coaches have known each other well for years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

montreal had a CPL defender start virtually every game and finished 2 points off the supporter shield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there is the odd CPL player who can be picked off and converted to MLS. But, for the most part, guys will struggle to catch on.

Really, we need to be setting our sights higher.
    I keep mentioning how often I watch the Premier League now, but it's partly in recognition that the levels are getting closer every year. I've seen MLS games that were, at the very least, close to as intense and skilled this year as your average Wolves Vs Bournemouth clash.

Really, the discrepancy between Man City/Arsenal and every other team in that league right now really highlights that the top MLS players are all pretty much skilled enough to play at that League's level, but not for the biggest clubs.

What they still have that MLS really lacks is the absolute intensity for 90 mins and the decision making just has to be faster as consequence. The actual speed of the Premier League game is so much higher than most (and the Championship, too) that most "skill" is subservient to "technique," as there isn't time for fucking around on the ball.

The skill moves are always very quick, very clever, and usually only valuable in slipping one, two men at most. As MLS is played at a lower pace, the South American players in particular have more time and space on the ball, and that leads to less tactical, more individual play across the scope of the game.

But it's getting easier to see how guys from this league can step up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

montreal had a CPL defender start virtually every game and finished 2 points off the supporter shield.
    Waterman was dependable. I think McNaughton could be with the right coaching and a little less ego; by the end of the season, he'd gone from cautious and technically competent to taking chances and playing arrogantly.

That does worry me. He seemed to regress under Bob, not get better (albeit on the ground; in the air, he started the season okay and ended it monstrous, having 5-7 clearances per game).

But to Ensco's point, that league has graduated four or five players now to MLS overall, in four years. One of them had to go through MLS NextPro to get there (Mo Farsi), suggesting not all managers have Bob's confidence in it.

I watch Forge playing at their best and they look like they could survive in USL-C. Maybe, if they picked up their overall pace of play somewhat.

But for the most part, it's USLII level, two or three tiers below MLS.

I'd say it doesn't just look like England's National League, it serves the same purpose: the vast majority there will never make it, but it keeps the dream alive for those who have the potential and were missed.

Unless they increase their spending and professionalize it more with proper capital build, stadiums, foreign players, etc, it won't grow. I think they're waiting for an influx of World Cup interest that simply won't happen, or if it does initially won't be sustained by the quality of play.

We've been through all this before, several times, and nothing has changed; grassroots "believers" can never get it through their heads that this is a competitive sports marketplace, and they're an inferior product, end of. Local loyalty will never be enough if the football and stadium experience feel like shit compared to what they see on TV. The game has advanced too far for a feeder league to "grow" organically into a pro pro division. (See also, Australia's floundering A-league, which has been trying to do it the way the CPL is, with mostly local players and grassroots feeders, for more than a decade, and it's just a money sieve.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A column in the LA Times today noted that LAFC started 32 different starting lineups in 34 regular season games this year.

That's depth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A column in the LA Times today noted that LAFC started 32 different starting lineups in 34 regular season games this year.

That's depth.
    Swapping in and out a bunch of players in the summer months added to that a lot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the Waterman story. Sure. I could just as easily say TFC should sign someone from the amateur leagues, just because that is where Montreal found Kone. I mean sure, it can happen.

Just looking it up. Waterman had just turned 24 when Montreal signed him. Still kind of old.

While it worked in his case, I think CPL could be providing 19 to 21 year olds to MLS. But the system doesn’t really make that possible, eg Russell-Rowe went from TFC 2 to Columbus, and he “should” maybe have had a year in there in the CPL.

So I don’t see how the CPL can become a feeder league to MLS, as things stand. The gap in quality is too large.
    Last edited by ensco; 11-01-2022 at 12:18 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”