Page 174 of 193 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,220 of 5785
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't feel like mixing it up on the internet, but I have gotten to know jloome via this board over the years, he is exactly who he says he is, and he is as good a guy as there is.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gentlemen, please, take a deep breath...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the end of the day everyone is entitled to their opinion, popular or not. Let’s keep it respectful, because at the end of the day what we have here is a bunch of Canadians passionately discussing football and that’s a beautiful thing that we didn’t have much of 20 years ago.

Cheers to you all. Let’s not ruin it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Don't feel like mixing it up on the internet, but I have gotten to know jloome via this board over the years, he is exactly who he says he is, and he is as good a guy as there is.
    Cheers dude.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunday was crap...we all were/are hurt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Sunday was crap...we all were/are hurt
    Certain people love it when it hurts, however. Predictably, they tend to post most often when the going is rough and the forum works best for the discharge of yellow bile (aggression).

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Where there are trolls there are shit posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hala Hrvatska View Post
    Again with the little digs and name calling. Come on man, no need for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hala Hrvatska View Post
    Thought you had me on ignore as you have said so many times? Talk about being dishonest...lol.

No offense, I could care less if you like my posts or not. And who is "we" all? Sect 223 and some others seem to really enjoy my posts. You don't speak on behalf of the board here and are not the mod. You will not tell me what I can or cannot post, or what I post about. I don't need to provide you with any sources. I'll say what I want to say. If you don't like it, deal with it or scroll on. Have a good one.
    Making something up (or exaggerating it based on a comment that was directly identified as speculation), stating it's a frequent comment elsewhere and then refusing to provide a quick link (or even mention a site) is textbook internet trolling and shit posting.
    My read as well. I asked him for his source because his comment was designed to raise emotions on the board. Which it clearly did.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    At the end of the day everyone is entitled to their opinion, popular or not. Let’s keep it respectful, because at the end of the day what we have here is a bunch of Canadians passionately discussing football and that’s a beautiful thing that we didn’t have much of 20 years ago.

Opinions are fine. The underlying aura of “me watch European football, you North American fan stupid” is a bit much.

As if nobody here watches other football besides MLS or otherwise has ancestry that exposes them to other leagues throughout the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post

Fully agreed. And I love how Canadian footie is taking off here. Just wish we'd have more coverage....lets just say am not a baseball fan and you couldn't pay me to watch cfl....but they still seem to overshadow us at times.

I used to go to all the Blizzard games with my dad, and catch Toronto Croatia in the old NSL back in the day. Great memories and that's why I love going with son to all the tfc games now.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    My read as well. I asked him for his source because his comment was designed to raise emotions on the board. Which it clearly did.

Oldtimer, sorry, this was not my intent. I love posting here, we have a great group of guys. I hope I can be a good contributor. I never go at anyone personally and keep it to footie I hope you can see.

But if my posting here is raising emotions (apparently negatively I think is the implication I think) as you say and presence is not wanted, I'll go. I'll keep reading though as I really like this board. I know some love my posts for what its worth. I just hope the few that apparently don't have me on ignore and take shots at me aren't the voices "heard" here. As I said, jloom and los sonodores have constantly been on me from day 1 for some reason, and I have zero interaction with them normally. Noxx as well, no idea why he is on me like this.

Anyways, I'll leave it to the board, if you guys want me to exit stage right, I am out of here. Just let me know. I'd be sad to go, but I don't want to be attacked for posting my opinions by the same gang over and over.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Opinions are fine. The underlying aura of “me watch European football, you North American fan stupid” is a bit much.

As if nobody here watches other football besides MLS or otherwise has ancestry that exposes them to other leagues throughout the world.
    Brother that could not be further from my "aura". I am from the GTA myself. Everyone is a fan of someone else. Many here come from all around the world. That's what makes this place great. One poster I think is called ManUforever or somehting like that...guess what, he can love a Euro club AND TFC. Its not one or the other.

I have seasons here...shows you how much I love this team. Yes I follow teams in Europe and watch footie from everywhere (Mexico included), like many here. I am not Spanish but love Real Madrid. I watch EPL as well. Many here do that same.

Anyways, just wanted to clear that up. Looks like alot are after me now and I just wanted to say my peace.

If Oldtimer deems its best I don't post here anymore as per my post just before this, I'll go.

I hope to stay, and lets talk TFC footie...lots to look forward to this off season.

Cheers.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, let's get this thread back on topic.

I noticed that Robbo has his son signed with the TFC Academy. Has anyone been following this?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I noticed that Robbo has his son signed with the TFC Academy. Has anyone been following this?
    Saw it this morning. Explains why he was spotted walking around the Ex on Sunday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Fellow TFC supporters; I was shocked at the half time changes that Bradley made Sunday night. You could easily see that MAK was not match fit and that Doniel Henry is done. He is just too slow these days. Lukas MacNaughton was the obvious choice to replace Chris Mavinga who is also done at the end of the season. Bradley is not the right choice to move forward with this rebuild. He traded for MAK when he was injured (alarm bells) which should never happen in any sport. The other alarming fact was playing the young players out of position at the start of the season while getting ride of two dependable MLS defenders. Also why is Marshall - Rutty not seeing the pitch these days? He was supposed to be our wonder kid. If Bill Manning doesn't see the problems with Bradley, he should be packing his bags too because he has totally screwed up twice now on GM signings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    If Bill Manning doesn't see the problems with Bradley, he should be packing his bags too because he has totally screwed up twice now on GM signings.
    If I were to bet, Bill disappears in the off-season and runs the George Bush Iraq “Mission Accomplished” banner on account of signing the Italians.

My cynical opinion looking at his track record: he likes to jump before there’s a chance he gets pinned with a failure. He moves over to some small market and milks one last job before he’s out of track. But if he rides TFC into the ground his career as an executive is done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    If I were to bet, Bill disappears in the off-season and runs the George Bush Iraq “Mission Accomplished” banner on account of signing the Italians.

My cynical opinion looking at his track record: he likes to jump before there’s a chance he gets pinned with a failure. He moves over to some small market and milks one last job before he’s out of track. But if he rides TFC into the ground his career as an executive is done.
    Yeah, you might be right. There's no upside for him staying. He's got a title and a few cups in the can. If he leaves early next year with us in a winning position, he can claim to have rebuilt the team and leave before anything goes south.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could easily see that MAK was not match fit and that Doniel Henry is done. He is just too slow these days. Lukas MacNaughton was the obvious choice to replace Chris Mavinga who is also done at the end of the season. Bradley is not the right choice to move forward with this rebuild.
    Pretty sure MacNaughton was being taught a lesson fo his stupidity against the Galaxy and that's fine. He has been toeing the line recently with arrogant moves (step overs, etc) and that punting the ball into VV was a call to be sat. Not ideal but in the bigger picture, he needed that.

MAK coming in wasn't great but I also think BB took off the wrong midfielder. Should have left Nelson and pulled Okello but by then it was mostly done anyway.

As for BB overall, for me he has one more window. That's three windows and then it's put up or shut up time. I'm not saying be in first place by next June or sacked but we should be in the top four for sure and in reach of the top spot in the east. Also he needs to show that he can & will address our problem areas like goalkeeping (mainly) but also by adding some defensive stability and depth this winter. If he shows any real laziness in his signings, and by that I don't mean a Canadian or Italian, but moreso just resigning players who should be moving on at lower costs bcause it's easy (Bono, Mavinga).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Pretty sure MacNaughton was being taught a lesson fo his stupidity against the Galaxy and that's fine. He has been toeing the line recently with arrogant moves (step overs, etc) and that punting the ball into VV was a call to be sat. Not ideal but in the bigger picture, he needed that.
    Was the MacNaughton punt into VV that bad? I was in the stadium and it looked like he was trying to kick the ball off of VV to earn the free kick rather than a more violent move.

I'm fine with some rotation at the back for the rest of the season. The team needs to decide how much they can rely on O'Neil and MacNaughton and decide if it's reasonable to bring Henry back as a depth option. Given Mavinga's run of play since the Italians arrived I was getting on board with him returning next year, but his display on Sunday was disappointing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MAK coming in wasn't great but I also think BB took off the wrong midfielder. Should have left Nelson and pulled Okello but by then it was mostly done anyway.

As for BB overall, for me he has one more window. That's three windows and then it's put up or shut up time. I'm not saying be in first place by next June or sacked but we should be in the top four for sure and in reach of the top spot in the east. Also he needs to show that he can & will address our problem areas like goalkeeping (mainly) but also by adding some defensive stability and depth this winter. If he shows any real laziness in his signings, and by that I don't mean a Canadian or Italian, but moreso just resigning players who should be moving on at lower costs bcause it's easy (Bono, Mavinga).

This is how I feel too.

My concern with him isn't that he isn't a solid football mind or motivator; he has the track record to support that he is.

But the way he used and manipulated the roster --and let people go -- did not fill me with confidence that he is flexible enough to still win this league.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Shaffelburg, Thompson, Westburg, Kerr were all used poorly.

He finally realized with five games left that Kerr is just raw offensive talent with poor understanding of where he's supposed to be, when he's supposed to press etc and started putting in Achara late, because he CAN press.

He sent Shaff off and he's a talent. He has speed, which is unteachable, he has good ball technique. He just needs to improve his movement. Most importantly, he has the right attitude... and yet none of that was enough to make him worth keeping. Instead, we had Jayden flailing around on the wing for two thirds of the season.... only to discover that he should have been in a two-way role, to minimize poor choices and use his speed defensively.

He sat Westburg even when he was healthy. Luka Gavran is one of the best keepers in MLS NEXT but doesn't even get a shot, despite Bono being just clearly and obviously done.

He signed Doneil to give him, what, junk minutes? Out of respect for his history?

He signed MAK for too much. Even a good two-way shuttler isn't worth a million plus a top prospect, not in this league. And then he was injured when we got him, apparently, so they must've known there was a good chance he would be out.

So... we expected to make the playoffs with Nelsen in the middle? Oso goes out (concussion, mental health, whatever the cause it doesn't sound great) and now we have Kerr and Nelson starting next to a 35-year-old Michael Bradley. No wonder Montreal ran over us.

I don't blame him for Poz because it sounds like met a girl there during the Florida COVID sojourn, prompting the failed marriage we were all so sympathetic about. He wanted out and his deal was coming up.

But the sheer arrogance in thinking he could fix Bono's issues when no manager before him had managed it... that pretty much cost us the season.

Even after we got the Italians, we didn't look like a well-drilled, well-coached team. We looked like we have an MLS 1.0 coach still teaching people to stick to "tendencies" and "philosophies about how we play" rather than drilling movement until its rote and second nature, which pretty much all good management teams now do.

Far too much, tactically, was left to the players on the field. By the end, the Italians were just trying the old-fashioned "continual wing switch" until you back the defenders almost up to the goal line. It's antiquated and is pretty much flummoxed by a low block. We can't just set up with the same depth of lines and expect anything different. We need to move defenses from side to side, but not by pinning them all in. The switches have to be further down the pitch, with quick transitions possible because we're not always playing our defenders to the centre line.

I dunno. It just seemed simplistic, tactically shallow, and too dependent on building a lineup in which all of the one-on-one matchups are in our favor. In this league that will never happen; too many roster challenges, injuries etc.

I just wasn't feeling it.

Even with the last winning streak, it felt like moments of brilliance from four players (Insigne, Bernie, Criscito, Oso) and one good game by MB. It wasn't as if we were pulling defenses apart; we just had too much forward talent to be denied even in a crowd.

That's football, though. There's always next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is Robbo?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was the MacNaughton punt into VV that bad? I was in the stadium and it looked like he was trying to kick the ball off of VV to earn the free kick rather than a more violent move.

I'm fine with some rotation at the back for the rest of the season. The team needs to decide how much they can rely on O'Neil and MacNaughton and decide if it's reasonable to bring Henry back as a depth option. Given Mavinga's run of play since the Italians arrived I was getting on board with him returning next year, but his display on Sunday was disappointing...
    The VV kick was on a dead ball so he did it out of frustration. Not intentionally at VV but still he needs to be smarter when games are important. This is MLS & with PRO refs that's a 50/50 red card depending on what level of moron they assign to ref the match.

I think Henry should be a hard pass as he is past it big time.

As for O'Neil, if he is the 4th CB then fine but he really isn't any better than that.

I think Mavinga has had his day too. He can look good for a while but he is too inconsistent to be relied upon week in and week out and he makes too much money to be a #3 CB. Plus his speed is starting to go. He was easily outrun by Kamara and for the most part it was the pace that made Mavinga good (and also covered up his often poor positioning).

At this point BB should probably just go with O'Neil & MacNaughton since they should both be here next season. No real point in using Henry or Mavinga for this last stetch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Who is Robbo?
    Carl Robinson. Recently released from a job coaching in the Aussie League.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Who is Robbo?
    Newbie alert....LOL....just kidding....Carl Robinson. Former TFC player. That was his nickname.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    But the sheer arrogance in thinking he could fix Bono's issues when no manager before him had managed it... that pretty much cost us the season.
    Or sheer ignorance to not do something about the GK coach. Not sure how you can expect to fix a GK who has been on a downward spiral for 5 years without changing the coach responsible for his decline over those years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point BB should probably just go with O'Neil & MacNaughton since they should both be here next season. No real point in using Henry or Mavinga for this last stetch.
    Also, Insigne shows no interest at all in being a provider as much as a goal scorer. He has six goals and two assists since joining, and if he isn't passing to Bernie or Criscito he's usually shooting.

Why play with them as inverted wings when we could play with the two of them as wide forwards, ala N. Forrest's 3-4-3, and a hole player supplying THEM? They're both far more dangerous than Jesus or Ayo.

i.e.

-----Insigne-----------Bernie-----
    ---------------Oso-----------------
    Petrasso---Bradley--Kaye----Laryea
    -------Criscito-McNa--O'Neill-------

Bradley and Kaye play as pivots with one always deep to shield the backline. The centre halfs play back and the team counters quickly by using the lines of four to move between the defending lines.

The only downside to this is the Fullbacks have to be very quick. We'd have to use Criscito as a defender principally, and he has real offensive strengths. But his pace is gone, and his skillset is still primarily defensive. So logic suggests giving him that role most of the time, as a line leader, would get us more.

This is where I think he gave up on Shaff too early. He's not a bad defender, and he's fast, he can play both ways. Until we got a starter with experience, he'd be a better fill, to me, than Luka, who turns off at times and wasn't consistent. But both are still learning and would be good backups on either wing position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or sheer ignorance to not do something about the GK coach. Not sure how you can expect to fix a GK who has been on a downward spiral for 5 years without changing the coach responsible for his decline over those years.
    Without us knowing how he coaches or hearing complaints about his coaching, perhaps he's not responsible for his decline. Perhaps experienced coaches look at the GK coach and say "he's doing everything right" and it's just the player.

Bono was such an "all the tools" goalie that out of college he was favored over Zac Steffen to be the future U.S. men's number one. (This despite Javier Perez cutting him from the u-19 team because he kept making mistakes).

Managers still see him that way. They see a guy so quick he had 18 saves in a single game against Chicago last year. They're sure it's just a confidence thing. But I think Jimmy Brennan was right (and Og and I have both been speculating here for years): he has depth perception problems and he slightly misjudges the flight of the ball sometime.

That leads to nerves, which leads to sloppiness. The free kick he let in the other day was two feet inside the left post... but he was cheating badly the other way, assuming the other player over the ball was taking it, guessing on who had the better angle instead of just taking the standard position just off the last defender in the wall.

He didn't want to get beaten on the back corner (a long shot, a depth perception fear) so he cheated that way.

Against Montreal, he should've stopped Kamara's goal on the near post but his body shape was wrong. He splayed his legs as if trying to stop a shot to the other corner before the shot had even been released, leaving a massive gap between his legs.

So the mistakes are basic concentration. But they often seem to be associated with a gaffe on a long shot first shaking his confidence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the initial play was a bit sloppy. He was trying to delay the restart or something and poorly executed it.

But the worse offence was he lost his cool after getting the card and was out of sorts until he was subbed. Needs to learn shit happens and move on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Fellow TFC supporters; I was shocked at the half time changes that Bradley made Sunday night. You could easily see that MAK was not match fit and that Doniel Henry is done. He is just too slow these days. Lukas MacNaughton was the obvious choice to replace Chris Mavinga who is also done at the end of the season. Bradley is not the right choice to move forward with this rebuild. He traded for MAK when he was injured (alarm bells) which should never happen in any sport. The other alarming fact was playing the young players out of position at the start of the season while getting ride of two dependable MLS defenders. Also why is Marshall - Rutty not seeing the pitch these days? He was supposed to be our wonder kid. If Bill Manning doesn't see the problems with Bradley, he should be packing his bags too because he has totally screwed up twice now on GM signings.
    Re the MAK and Henry subs: that was indeed interesting. They both played poorly but that is 20/20 hindsight.

I think BB is just playing the long game with Canada here.

There are always non-FIFA date games in Concacaf, and those games are a negotiation between country and club. Whatever we think about TFC's chances in 2022, BB knew that, realistically, after Wednesday, it was pretty much over even going into this game. He also knows Herdman wants to see his CMNT guys get minutes now, and Herdman will care less about anything in 2023. The obvious call is to make a few decisions here to earn brownie points with Herdman now, especially when they don't cost that much, positioning BB to say "no" to things that will matter more to him in 2023.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-06-2022 at 01:26 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Without us knowing how he coaches or hearing complaints about his coaching, perhaps he's not responsible for his decline. Perhaps experienced coaches look at the GK coach and say "he's doing everything right" and it's just the player.
    It's true that we don't know how he coaches so all we really have to go by is what we see and have seen.

We've seen Bono get worse over the years. Westberg got worse from year to year (but he is older). Irwin got worse every year until he was essentially ruined and he was a solid MLSer. Generally they all got worse with distribution from year to year. Then things like commanding the box, communication, and lastly shot stopping started to go on all of them. GK coach is supposed to upcoach players to get the best from them and we've not seen that with any of them and this issue goes beyond just Bono.

To me it's too coincidental that all these keepers declined under the watch of one GK coach and with similar paths of degredation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's true that we don't know how he coaches so all we really have to go by is what we see and have seen.

We've seen Bono get worse over the years. Westberg got worse from year to year (but he is older). Irwin got worse every year until he was essentially ruined and he was a solid MLSer. Generally they all got worse with distribution from year to year. Then things like commanding the box, communication, and lastly shot stopping started to go on all of them. GK coach is supposed to upcoach players to get the best from them and we've not seen that with any of them and this issue goes beyond just Bono.

To me it's too coincidental that all these keepers declined under the watch of one GK coach and with similar paths of degredation.
    It certainly bears serious examination. It may be that he’s technically solid in methodology but isn’t helping them maintain the right confident and competitive mindset. There are some “player’s coaches” out there who seem to do more harm than good.