Page 73 of 191 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 5705
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    "In general, the total amount of the acquisition cost of a player is charged against the Salary Budget in the year in which it is paid."

Here's where I got it:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/about/rost...nd-regulations

We also don't know how the transfer fee was structured to begin with (e.g., could be paid over multiple years). Agreed though that the rules are complex and constantly changing, so I could be wrong here too...
    Agreed and I don't want to turn this into an MLS rules forum. However, the section you quoted from is specific to a Special Discovery Player. Under Designated Player, it states "A player's Salary Budget Charge, and therefore Designated Player status, is generally determined by averaging all guaranteed amounts payable over the guaranteed term." I think that there is an article that addresses this point in the Athletic, but I do not have a subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I like when you post just so I can see a bouncing elephant....
    It is mesmerizing....

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Paul Tenorio did a salary cap Q&A in the Athletic ahead of the 2020 season. As far as I know nothing below has changed.
    Thanks - I think this is the article I was referring to above.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Agreed and I don't want to turn this into an MLS rules forum. However, the section you quoted from is specific to a Special Discovery Player. Under Designated Player, it states "A player's Salary Budget Charge, and therefore Designated Player status, is generally determined by averaging all guaranteed amounts payable over the guaranteed term." I think that there is an article that addresses this point in the Athletic, but I do not have a subscription.

It is mesmerizing....
    Love that one section of the rules says "In general it's the year it's paid" and another section says "Generally it's averaged over the term of the contract". What a confusing mess. At least it's unlikely to really matter.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    What a confusing mess.
    I see we agree on one thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Gilberto to Chicago for free situation no? Agreeing to terms on more DPs than are allowed before the previous ones are moved out. Destroys all leverage TFC has in selling Soteldo or Altidore and we already know Brazilian teams are sharks as it is. Oh well

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamAM View Post
    Another Gilberto to Chicago for free situation no? Agreeing to terms on more DPs than are allowed before the previous ones are moved out. Destroys all leverage TFC has in selling Soteldo or Altidore and we already know Brazilian teams are sharks as it is. Oh well
    Nobody was ever buying Altidore so no worries there. He is only leaving on a buyout and he knew he'd be replaced so his stance is not surprising.

Soteldo probably going out at a big loss but they can pin that on Curtis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d be almost certain we’ll buy out Altidore. They can delude themselves into believing there’s another way or we’ll save some cash, but it’s not happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sooooo... it's Belotti as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At worst we can loan Soteldo with no obligation to buy correct? Isn't that what Miami had to do with Pellegrini?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’d be almost certain we’ll buy out Altidore. They can delude themselves into believing there’s another way or we’ll save some cash, but it’s not happening.
    Agree. I am just curious if we can re-sign him after we buy him out.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Agree. I am just curious if we can re-sign him after we buy him out.
    Can’t see the parties involved tolerating one another and not sure what the other players in the locker room think of him either. Fair amount of squabbling on the field in the few games where he played.

Appreciate the guy for all his past contributions but think it’s best to move on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I highly doubt that a player can be bought out then re-signed. Both the league and the PA will be against that. Opens up loopholes the league will be against and the PA have always been anti restructuring contracts.

Has it ever happened in any NA leagues? I can't recall anything like it in world football

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I highly doubt that a player can be bought out then re-signed. Both the league and the PA will be against that. Opens up loopholes the league will be against and the PA have always been anti restructuring contracts.

Has it ever happened in any NA leagues? I can't recall anything like it in world football
    Apparently in the NHL after receiving a buyout the player can't be resigned by that team for a year. Not sure about other leagues.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Can’t see the parties involved tolerating one another and not sure what the other players in the locker room think of him either. Fair amount of squabbling on the field in the few games where he played.

Appreciate the guy for all his past contributions but think it’s best to move on.
    I see the probability that you are right but don't want to jump to conclusions.

If Jozy's problem was with Armas/Curtis, and if Bradley, who knows him well, wants him...
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would the PA be against it? Jozy would get more than his current contract calls for. Other MLS teams wouldn't like it, but those sorts of loopholes aren't obviously bargained...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, not quite as excited for Insigne as I was for Giovinco (I fell in love with the latter while he was with Italy's U20s) but what a landmark occasion this is. Can't wait to see those trademark curlers.

Media had a hard enough time pronouncing Giovinco (for some reason), I can't imagine how they'll butcher Insigne's name. TFC should go after Kevin Lasagna next, everyone knows that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would the PA hate a player getting their 2022 salary via buyout then getting another salary for 2022 on the resign? They’d actually love this idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could they not do a restructure rather than buy out though? FWIW I don't know the answer to this.

MLSPA states he makes 3.6 so what if they restructure him @ 2 years 1.8per, or 3 at $XYZ so the cost of freeing up a DP slot is term and TAM, meanwhile Jozy gets long-er term job security and maybe decent money in a potential 3rd year plus? Just spitballing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would the PA be against it? Jozy would get more than his current contract calls for. Other MLS teams wouldn't like it, but those sorts of loopholes aren't obviously bargained...
    I'll have to find the source but it goes back to them being anti buyout in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Personally, not quite as excited for Insigne as I was for Giovinco (I fell in love with the latter while he was with Italy's U20s) but what a landmark occasion this is. Can't wait to see those trademark curlers.

Media had a hard enough time pronouncing Giovinco (for some reason), I can't imagine how they'll butcher Insigne's name. TFC should go after Kevin Lasagna next, everyone knows that one.
    Luke Wileman will be in big trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely understand my foolishness of nostalgia; of seeing Jozy and or Seba end their careers as a RED. But for fun, lets say, TFC sign a Belotti or a Destro. Then happenstance, a bit of bad luck and that striker gets injured, does Insigne or Poz, for that matter, again want to see an Akinola, Achara, or Perruzza in that position for any extended period of time or would they prefer the likes of a Jozy or a Seba?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 01-04-2022 at 01:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Could they not do a restructure rather than buy out though? FWIW I don't know the answer to this.

MLSPA states he makes 3.6 so what if they restructure him @ 2 years 1.8per, or 3 at $XYZ so the cost of freeing up a DP slot is term and TAM, meanwhile Jozy gets long-er term job security and maybe decent money in a potential 3rd year plus? Just spitballing...
    Yes you can restructure any contract. They’d likely have to add a year to it for Jozy to agree.

If they buy him out he will get 3.6 max. If the restructured to say 4.5 over 3 years he’d likely do it as he’d get 1.1 million more that he’s unlikely get if he went to market for the second and third year. Unless he thinks he can find a team to pay him 550k per on a two year deal a restructuring would be in his benefit.

Edit. I should have mentioned the new 3yr salary would average 1.5 million. That’s the TFC benefit to restructure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R.O. View Post
    Sooooo... it's Belotti as well?

Just out of curiousity, who is this Will Forbes guy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael Singh on Footy Talks says that although TFC checked in on Belotti earlier in the season it is unlikely anything happens and no active meaningful talks. However he said TFC is very interested in bringing Criscito as a TAM player and it's looking highly likely to go through. We're also seriously targeting Mattia Destro.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Just out of curiousity, who is this Will Forbes guy?
    He is a Twitter guy who does all MLS related content. Normally I am 'meh' towards his rumors but this off season he is batting a pretty solid average. I wouldn't totally dismiss him at this point since he seems to have some info/insight on what's happening in MLS land right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see the probability that you are right but don't want to jump to conclusions.

If Jozy's problem was with Armas/Curtis, and if Bradley, who knows him well, wants him...
    Fair enough. I just have a hard time seeing how it works with a new target man on the way (supposedly). Plus Akinola and Perruzza on board.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like it will be a big splash. I've kept quiet, not too excited actually. I was hoping TFC could get a bit "smarter" with Bob Bradley's involvement. There are a ton of great footy players available around the world. We gotta realize Insigne is a huge risk, in terms of age, cost and length of contract. I hope it doesn't turn out like some of the other aging DPs.

But it really is a sanguinante big deal. I've also been considering why MLSE thinks this is worth it. It's not just about adding a couple thousand season ticket holders, and/or about more viewership and better TV deals -- although that's also an issue. I think it's an attempt to re-create scarcity and buzz about the team. Let's face it, the last stadium expansion to 30k, with most of those seats added on the east side, didn't really work out. Together with some variable results by TFC, there were already a ton of empty seats before the pandemic started. Some of those were unsold seats; some were sold seats where people didn't bother showing up, and couldn't (or didn't bother) reselling them. It became very easy to pick up seats for individual games, often even at SSH prices or less.

The World Cup will be here in a few years. The stadium will be expanded again. Some will be temporary seats, but many permanent. They already presented plans for a west-side expansion a few years ago, with more seats, more & upgraded boxes, and many other things rebuilt or improved. Unless things really change around TFC, that would mean an even weaker supply/demand situation. Many more people would start to wonder why season tickets are worth it - especially in the more expensive seats. The south end and light grey tickets don't pay for any type of DP.

It's not just about adding a few thousand SSH; it's about regularly going from less than 20k to over 40k bums in seats. It's about buzz, and building on the current CMNT excitement.

Also after the last 3 years, it has again become clear how much Ontario is just three developers in a trench coat. MLSE probably realizes it's important to keep the Vaughan crowd interested, for financial and other reasons. Insigne and Co. plus lots of $ all help build that excitement.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 01-04-2022 at 01:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He is a Twitter guy who does all MLS related content. Normally I am 'meh' towards his rumors but this off season he is batting a pretty solid average. I wouldn't totally dismiss him at this point since he seems to have some info/insight on what's happening in MLS land right now.
    Seems like every other tweet coming from him is a potshot at Michael Singh, although I really don't think either of them were the one to break this transfer. Getting kind of annoyed by him. He seems very certain Belotti is next.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    Yes you can restructure any contract. They’d likely have to add a year to it for Jozy to agree.

If they buy him out he will get 3.6 max. If the restructured to say 4.5 over 3 years he’d likely do it as he’d get 1.1 million more that he’s unlikely get if he went to market for the second and third year. Unless he thinks he can find a team to pay him 550k per on a two year deal a restructuring would be in his benefit.

Edit. I should have mentioned the new 3yr salary would average 1.5 million. That’s the TFC benefit to restructure
    How insane and snakebitten would a FO have to be to extend Jozy even at less money? Not sure how many times he would need to be injured for somebody to think it's a pattern.

Time to move on. Nobody wants him here and he doesn't want to be here either. Time for him to move on to other things more suitable for him like Tweeting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    he was pissed at singh regarding the LI info in the past