Page 72 of 191 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 5705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I guess that "big splash" week Bill was talking about for Jan is upon us.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    So I guess that "big splash" week Bill was talking about for Jan is upon us.
    big splash may be a huge understatement - this is potentially a turning point for the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    Inter Miami screw up all the time in the transfer market but one trick TFC could learn from them is to try and start turning the tide a bit and sign a young European player on the cheap. Whenever we spend money on a European player it's usually for a star but there's a tremendous amount of value to be had over there if they look a little deeper. A couple of years ago they signed 23 year old Lewis Morgan from Celtic for $440k. He was their 2020 MVP. Now they've done an Inter Miami thing and sent him to NYRB for a modest profit, selling him for $1.2M. I watched more Inter Miami games on TV than I probably should have since Morgan is an ex Paisley Buddie so I knew all about him from his days with St Mirren. You could see he was going to be a decent MLS level player even back when he was 17 years old. This isn't meant to be a Lewis Morgan fanboy post though. It's just an example of the type of good players that are available ten a penny in Europe. Most European teams seem to like "swooping in for" foreign players, particularly lower division or bottom/mid table top domestic league teams ... almost to the point that they can't see the forest for the trees and play those sort of "imports" to the detriment of their own domestic prospects. If TFC want to climb the ladder as a world ranked football team, maybe they should consider beefing up their European scouting team or even better ... play the poor man's "City Group" and buy a team or two on the cheap over there and use them to spy on "value prospects" like the Morgans of the world for TFC in the respective leagues those teams play in. A lot of those types of players don't make much money over there so enticing them to help bolster the bottom half of the roster along with our own academy prospects wouldn't be a bad idea

on the issue of Celtic and Scottish football, they have been smart in their targetting of players from Asia, a market a lot of clubs ignore. The success of Furuhashi this season has been fantastic, and Celtic have just picked up another 3 players from the J league relatively cheaply in this window. There is a tendency to focus on south america and europe. I think scouting needs to be more global.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The "big splash" hopefully in less than 2 weeks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, Insigne is confirmed to be joining in July. With that resolved, you gotta think Manning has some other reason(s) to take this trip to Italy besides a photo op with Lorenzo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    So, Insigne is confirmed to be joining in July. With that resolved, you gotta think Manning has some other reason(s) to take this trip to Italy besides a photo op with Lorenzo.
    It's Belotti time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd hope there will be some movement on Soteldto and Jozy this week then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m guessing July is the latest date. Likely some kind of out clause or agreement with Napoli depending on when they wrap up the season or important games. Basically if he joins TFC

Jan 10 we pay 7m,
    Jan 11 we pay 6.9m
    Jan 12 we pay 6.8.

Just making up numbers but you get the point - once Napoli can’t win the league and are bounced from all Euro completions he will likely be here. That would be good news for TFC season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC needs to start collecting whatever fake money they need to start signing above average CBs or we may be out of the playoffs by July

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Insigne isn't coming until July, I suppose we have some more time to do that now?

Also, even if they are out of any sort of title race they will still need to fight for a spot in Europe.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soteldo will probably happen soon. It's more straight forward and he agreed to terms with both Palmieras & Sau Paulo. I think the complicated part is figuring how much of his contract/original transfer fee we have to eat or if that player swap is still a go.

Jozy is complicated. He knows we need that DP spot badly and there's no way he is getting a multi million dollar contract again so he's holding Manning over the flames. I get it but there are limits to what he should pull for. The last offer of $4.5 seemed fair since the 2023 was an option but I guess not. He probably wants the full $7.2M.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Soteldo links in Brazil have dried up. No one has the cash to pay a transfer fee for him or they think we'll get desperate and let him go on a free.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    The Soteldo links in Brazil have dried up. No one has the cash to pay a transfer fee for him or they think we'll get desperate and let him go on a free.
    It will probably be a mutual termination with no buyout. Another red X on the Curtis portfolio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if they can do a transfer and immediate loan, where we buy Insigne now but loan him back with the right to recall. Then they could 'recall' him in May when the season is over and he joins us before July.

Technically players can only be registered in an open transfer window and our window does last until May 2 (but only opens Feb 10), so technically we can only bring him in on Feb 10th at the earliest, but Italy's window would be closed so they wouldn't be able to bring him in on loan in Feb... but somehow we did that with Defoe - buy and loan to Tottenham, so there must be some kind of loophole that exists.
    Last edited by rydermike; 01-04-2022 at 10:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael Singh is saying Insigne is not the only transfer Manning is coming back from Italy with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Criscito probably. I'm not buying the Belotti stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if they cant move soteldo...why not keep him until june?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Depends if we need the DP slot now or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that seems most likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

January 8th for the official announcement?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    Our off-season happens to correspond with Brazil’s. More potential buyers now in this window vs. the summer.

The complication is we want to rid ourselves of two DP’s but can only use one buyout per season. Hard to tell if the league would call a contract termination of a player you paid a hefty fee for as a buy-out.

Personally, I think this gets done in some form. Just going to take some time. He seems to have more than enough interest down there. Would be crazy to wait cause if he has a bad first half of the season or if the clubs in question move on that might put our plans in jeopardy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Our off-season happens to correspond with Brazil’s. More potential buyers now in this window vs. the summer.

The complication is we want to rid ourselves of two DP’s but can only use one buyout per season. Hard to tell if the league would call a contract termination of a player you paid a hefty fee for as a buy-out.

Personally, I think this gets done in some form. Just going to take some time. He seems to have more than enough interest down there. Would be crazy to wait cause if he has a bad first half of the season or if the clubs in question move on that might put our plans in jeopardy.
    Happy New Year everyone!

Interesting thought. Does anyone know if MLS rules define the transfer fee as spread over the term of a contract or is it attached to the first year? Seems like that would be the difference maker in mutually terminating a DP contract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Happy New Year everyone!

Interesting thought. Does anyone know if MLS rules define the transfer fee as spread over the term of a contract or is it attached to the first year? Seems like that would be the difference maker in mutually terminating a DP contract.
    For salary cap purposes it's usually allocated the year it's paid. There's a few instances where the transfer fee can be amortized, but they're complex and likely don't apply to Soteldo.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    For salary cap purposes it's usually allocated the year it's paid. There's a few instances where the transfer fee can be amortized, but they're complex and likely don't apply to Soteldo.
    I think this is incorrect. My understanding is that (for budget purposes) the whole contract (salary and transfer fee) is added and averaged over the contract length. So the transfer fee does not only count in the first year. This also prevents front/back loading contracts to get around DP rules. That being said, I think you can use GAM (maybe TAM too, no idea) to bring down/eliminate the transfer fee from this equation.

Caveat - these rules change faster than I care to stay up to date, but this is my understanding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certainly not with four DPs in the picture already, unless movement is imminent. I think Destro would fit as a TAM player if the contract is long enough.

The club has surrendered all bargaining power in a Soteldo deal/Jozy buyout. Burning money this winter.

EDIT - Italian TV station Sportitalia say the deal will be announced Saturday. If true, it'll be a busy week for Manning and Co.
    Last edited by Bobo; 01-04-2022 at 11:30 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    I think this is incorrect. My understanding is that (for budget purposes) the whole contract (salary and transfer fee) is added and averaged over the contract length. So the transfer fee does not only count in the first year. This also prevents front/back loading contracts to get around DP rules. That being said, I think you can use GAM (maybe TAM too, no idea) to bring down/eliminate the transfer fee from this equation.

Caveat - these rules change faster than I care to stay up to date, but this is my understanding.
    I like when you post just so I can see a bouncing elephant....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post

"In general, the total amount of the acquisition cost of a player is charged against the Salary Budget in the year in which it is paid."

Here's where I got it:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/about/rost...nd-regulations

We also don't know how the transfer fee was structured to begin with (e.g., could be paid over multiple years). Agreed though that the rules are complex and constantly changing, so I could be wrong here too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul Tenorio did a salary cap Q&A in the Athletic ahead of the 2020 season. As far as I know nothing below has changed.

Can you restructure a contract to circumvent the DP rule, i.e. backload the deal such that you could buy down to make a player not a DP for a year?
    Lots have been trying to speculate on Josef (Martinez). Assuming this is not allowed would be nice to put it to bed! -@strweavr

The designated player charge is actually pretty simple math. The league takes the payments over the course of the entire guaranteed portion of the contract—salary plus transfer fee—and averages them to determine the budget charge. So backloading a guaranteed contract to push more money to the later years would not have an impact on the players’ budget charge at front end of his contract. If, for example, a player made $700,000 in 2019 and then $4 million in 2020, $4.5 million in 2021 and $5 million in 2022, that player’s budget charge would be $3.55 million per year, the average of those four salaries and still well over DP level.

Does a transfer fee have to be spread out over the entire contract or can it be all put in year 1? -@collinsolberg

A team can pay the full transfer fee up front in that first year, but for same reason as above, that has no effect on a player’s budget number. So even if Atlanta paid all $15 million of Barco’s fee up front, that $15 million still is divided up over the length of the guaranteed portion of his contract, not just in the first year of the deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so with LI coming in july,i guess we are saving 325k in dp charges?