0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apologists Unite!

How much slack can you cut this guy?
    .... he's playing injured
    .... he's adapting to the MLS style
    .... he's surrounded by shit players

Seriously, what's next? ...He can't understand Torsten?

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    We want JDG out because he's costing us a DP slot and cap space that we can use to get much better player or multiple of decent players.
    Sure but unless you have a legit dp that would replace him (I don't mean him but moreso the 3rd dp spot) then I don't see any rush to move him out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    We want JDG out because he's costing us a DP slot and cap space that we can use to get much better player or multiple of decent players.
    Agreed, but the chances are very slim that another MLS team will trade for him, and it's also doubtful that a foreign club would acquire him via the transfer market based on his current contract, unless TFC is prepared to pay a significant portion of his salary. The only other option is to loan him to a foreign club, but his salary would likely be a deterrent in that scenario as well.

In essence, we're probably stuck with JDG for the duration of this season, and based on that probability, I'm anxious to see if he will elevate his level of play from this point forward. In fairness to JDG, he played one of his best games in a TFC kit in his last appearance in the NCC Final.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The article basically says that Maccabi thinks the same stuff we do. They don't want him because he had knee surgery and especially because his salary is too high. The comments are funny, most people initially thought they were going to get Jonathan DeGuzman and were disappointed to find it was Julian.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NO Trades yet today? Hey Mariner...stop playing solitaire on your computer and get to fuckin work slacker!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdc 77 View Post
    I'm the other guy in that minority group.
    Count me in too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    So Griffit is match-fit then? I thought there were some suggestions coming in that he wasn't.
    That would be a nice surprise if true. Both these guys look legitimately under-utilized by Columbus.
    He may be match fit, but he's on the IR (6 game minimum) list. He's only missed two, apparently. Don't know if he can play in the Concacaf.
    Also don't know if the trade makes any difference...he was clearly IRed just to get him off the roster...

Me, too on JDG...
    Last edited by oxygenatedbrain; 07-18-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

you guys are starting to sound like the majority
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManUtd4ever View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority in that I want see how JDG will perform with his new teammates.

People that complain usually sound louder... so it can be deceiving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBOR THE GREAT ! View Post
    you guys are starting to sound like the majority
    We need a another poll for this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JDGs had one too many chances to prove himself IMO
    but if hes around hes around

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdc 77 View Post
    Sure but unless you have a legit dp that would replace him (I don't mean him but moreso the 3rd dp spot) then I don't see any rush to move him out.
    yeah thats pretty muhc it for me too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, I'll be the argument waiting to happen and point out that Julian is a decent player by MLS standards. It's his pay that is outrageous, and his play relative to his pay.

That doesn't mean our chances are good of getting someone with substantially more efficacy, short of a stud striker. Most of the DPs in this league have crapped out for entirely that reason.

That might be changing (Frings and Koevermans suggest so) but again, is a company that allegedly only makes a few million a year off MLS going to take another $5 million or so in losses to get another player of that calibre? Or do we see another player who's supposedly better than MLS.....but not really, he just gets paid that way, by a little bit.

MLSE's bottom line on salaries just went up by probably $5-7 million in the last two weeks alone.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I guess I'm in the minority in that I want see how JDG will perform with his new teammates.
    JDG's play has been lazy and uninspired ever since he got here. I don't think having a few new teammates is going to change that one bit. I'd like for him to prove me wrong, believe me, but I highly doubt he will for some reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Ah yes, couldn't have said it better myself.

" פרסום ראשון: מכבי ת"א עשויה לקב
    Sports lead: Maccabi Tel Aviv is getting....

where's the rest of the sentence?! Too bad its not happening. Ah well, back to dreaming

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see what JDG can do with decent players.

I've seen him really come to play at times, and it must be frustrating to be surrounded by people who can't see the game unfolding around them.

I suspect that his biggest problem is that the opposition does not play intelligently, either.

So, given his undoubted former abilities, I think we'd all love to have the JDG that played so well in Spain and for Canada. Let's give him to the end of the season and see if he can be the player we all hoped he would be when he signed.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Again, I'll be the argument waiting to happen and point out that Julian is a decent player by MLS standards. It's his pay that is outrageous, and his play relative to his pay.

That doesn't mean our chances are good of getting someone with substantially more efficacy, short of a stud striker. Most of the DPs in this league have crapped out for entirely that reason.

That might be changing (Frings and Koevermans suggest so) but again, is a company that allegedly only makes a few million a year off MLS going to take another $5 million or so in losses to get another player of that calibre? Or do we see another player who's supposedly better than MLS.....but not really, he just gets paid that way, by a little bit.

MLSE's bottom line on salaries just went up by probably $5-7 million in the last two weeks alone.
    An interesting angle to all of that is that in 2009, reportedly only 2 clubs in MLS turned a profit. Seattle and Toronto.

If one acknowledges the fact that this is a profit sharing league and that ticket prices have a ceiling that the league is conscious of, how much flexibility/support does TFC have to go chasing after the big names/payroll boosters?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    he wasn't playing his own position well.

it's not a matter of playing with decent players, it's a matter of improving the quality of the players around you regardless of whose around you. yes, it's true, you can polish a turd, but JDG didn't play his own position well, nor did he improve the team when he was on the pitch. he gave up way too often, and never (aside from the game where he fucked up the wall) really gave 100%. he's shit, plain and simple.

he either:

A. can't play or
    B. doesn't want to

/rant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kristian Jack's Twitter - "Just spoke to a representative of Julian De Guzman about rumored swap deal with Maccabi Tel Aviv and it is absolutely not happening. #tfc"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    An interesting angle to all of that is that in 2009, reportedly only 2 clubs in MLS turned a profit. Seattle and Toronto.

If one acknowledges the fact that this is a profit sharing league and that ticket prices have a ceiling that the league is conscious of, how much flexibility/support does TFC have to go chasing after the big names/payroll boosters?
    It's a big point. We assume freeing up another DP salary would mean another top player, but after Frings and Koevermans, you'd have to doubt whether the money is there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in this minority as well. I want to give him the one last chance. If he can't get it going with 2 other Dp's then their is no excuses anymore really.

I hope it works for him. I'd rather have three happy performing Dp's then not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really highly doubt this. That would boggle my mind if it were true. Just not possible in my humble opinion.

I would guess that they make over $20 million/yr in straight profit, at least.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    I really highly doubt this. That would boggle my mind if it were true. Just not possible in my humble opinion.

Whaaaaaa?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you come to this conclusion?

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    How do you come to this conclusion?

- Scott

Just crunching some quick numbers based on $40 average ticket price.

I have no idea how the profit sharing works so thats a huge unknown.

But I also think that their is absolutely no way in hell ML$E would spend Guessing Here:

$20 million on an Academy
    $5 Million on grass
    $15 Million on North Stands (this is out of the blue, please correct me if you know differently)
    $14 Million on salaries over the 4 years

= $54 Million in spending

if they only make a few million a year say $12 Million over the last 4 years.

Not believing that for even one second. I would assume they made at least $54 Million over the last four years and probably more.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy is incapable of making a 10 yard forward pass. I think you are being overly generous by calling him "a decent player by MLS standards" He could be getting the league average and he would still be way overpaid.

I truly believe after no interest came from Europe he consciously thought to himself he would take MLSE's offer and just focus on cruising in the Lambo and partying. This attitude has caused his skills to deteriorate dramatically. He used to be so determined, so tenacious in his game before he came to TFC. Now he is just garbage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thought he'd make the move especially if tel aviv was offering him some long-term security...owner of the team is canadian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Israel is beautiful, but not everybody wants to live there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just crunching some quick numbers based on $40 average ticket price.

I have no idea how the profit sharing works so thats a huge unknown.

But I also think that their is absolutely no way in hell ML$E would spend Guessing Here:

$20 million on an Academy
    $5 Million on grass
    $15 Million on North Stands (this is out of the blue, please correct me if you know differently)
    $14 Million on salaries over the 4 years

= $54 Million in spending

if they only make a few million a year say $12 Million over the last 4 years.

Not believing that for even one second. I would assume they made at least $54 Million over the last four years and probably more.
    Don't forget that asset costs (things like grass or the academy) aren't accounted for as $20 million up front on their balance sheet. It's 20 million divided by expected lifespan. Say that academy will be used for 20 years, then on their books it's a $1 million annual expenditure (plus whatever depreciation). Which isn't that much.

Say their expendatures anually are 6 mil payroll (with 3 DPs), 5 mil stadium costs (including stands, grass and taxes), 2 million academy, ?? marketing and they don't have THAT many real big expenses. It's not unreasonable for TFC to be bringing in 15 or 20 million bucks in revenue a year. In fact 5 or 10 more wouldn't surprise me either. yes thats verify simplified and yes I pulled the stadium costs thing out of my ass (does TFC pay annually for the stadium? or are they only on the hook for upkeep? if it's just upkeep we're looking at a MUCH lower number), but you get the point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post

I've seen him really come to play at times, and it must be frustrating to be surrounded by people who can't see the game unfolding around them.

I suspect that his biggest problem is that the opposition does not play intelligently, either.

So, given his undoubted former abilities, I think we'd all love to have the JDG that played so well in Spain and for Canada. Let's give him to the end of the season and see if he can be the player we all hoped he would be when he signed.
    Not sure what to make of this. JDG did not play well for Canada recently, and, hard to give any Canadian NT member any slack given how shitty they have been for a long time now. A good mls team would smoke the Can NT any day. I think JDG is playing as well as he can, and that is simply not very well. He was overrated for years, nobody wanted him after he left Spain, and that tells a lot about Mo's stupid scouting and team building strategy. We keep reading how he would play so much better around better players, well duh. You could say that about any player. JDG was supposed to make the players around him better, and that never happened because he was and is not better than anybody on this team, he plain stinks.