Page 41 of 174 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 5193
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larin's scoring for Canada has been phenomenal, but somehow I don't quite trust it with TFC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Larin's scoring for Canada has been phenomenal, but somehow I don't quite trust it with TFC.
    I was thinking this too and in some ways I think Cavallini might work better. Yeah he's a meathead but he will bang in there and get physical. We do need some of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would almost rather have Cavallini over Larin just for that enforcer role. Who's going to want to mess with the Italians if you have Cavallini there to defend them. It's like in hockey, you go after the star, they would throw the enforcer on your next shift, except here Cavs would be there in 0.5 seconds. Now that Henry's gone, Cavs could fill that role. Obviously not at DP wages, but at a reasonable rate he could offer toughness while still being able to pot in 7-10 goals

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way, Larin already chewed up MLS - 17 goals in 27 games and MLS Rookie of the Year in 2015. Having service or even poaching for LI and Bernie would be nasty. He just find spots and complete runs, he is two footed and a striker first. IMHO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know that a non Canadian club would make Larin a DP right now, and that implies to me we'd be doing it for emotional rather than rational reasons. If we're going to go cheap DP I'd so much rather go the young DP route.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    I don't know that a non Canadian club would make Larin a DP right now, and that implies to me we'd be doing it for emotional rather than rational reasons. If we're going to go cheap DP I'd so much rather go the young DP route.

I was more the Larin vs Cavallini debate (rather than DP vs Max Tam vs Tam). Also thinking who would Jesus complement. TBH I am not really sure what type of striker would work best with LI and Bernie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Geographically. Culturally, many Brazilians themselves debate this point.

https://theconversation.com/are-braz...-america-64792

It's all a bit moot to the point at hand, dude. We have evidence there are other more sane rationales for why they left/are leaving than a conspiracy about racism.
    Easy.
    I absolutely agree with you that there are better, sane, more plausible, much more reasonable and desirable rationales!
    For the record, I did not mention nor am I suggesting racism; a matter of either overt or systemic.
    Please do not attribute such to me. I do not like it. Nor feel I deserve it.
    It is an improper and unnecessary stretch and link that you have chosen to imply and state.
    Though I will concede that, by the way, and what I wrote, it may be read into as such.
    Could it not just be/entail cultural differences in styles of play and attitudes?
    A bias rationale? One even unconscious?
    Are there no leagues, clubs, corporate or managerial leadership in world football known to have them?
    Applying them in their acquisitions or releases?
    Regardless, in today's environment one can/should not discount what any of those players may have felt or perceived.
    That is the times we line in.
    If they were aggrieved and in what manner?
    Have any of them openly/truly spoken on record and in detail about the circumstance surrounding their departures?
    In the absence of clarity, perception may matter; fills that void.
    I do not know what those players felt or perceived about their situations; sane or irrational.
    Yet, what I would like to express is that it is always foolish or arrogant to think otherwise; that such possibility never exists.
    Have stated my piece. Trust we are now cool on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we all need to relax and see what happens before getting out the pitchforks for Bob Bradley and co….

with all of the cap space and decent free agent class, let’s see where this team is in January / February before calling for peoples jobs are deeming the fo to be incompetent

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t want BB fired. I do want club legend MB to go upstairs, be traded, whatever has to happen to clean that up. That I feel strongly about.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    I think we all need to relax and see what happens before getting out the pitchforks for Bob Bradley and co….

with all of the cap space and decent free agent class, let’s see where this team is in January / February before calling for peoples jobs are deeming the fo to be incompetent
    This.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    This.
    I'm expecting a flurry of transactions. I'm sure there is tons going on behind the scenes right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    No way, Larin already chewed up MLS - 17 goals in 27 games and MLS Rookie of the Year in 2015. Having service or even poaching for LI and Bernie would be nasty. He just find spots and complete runs, he is two footed and a striker first. IMHO

IIRC most of his goals in Turkey have actually been from playing FW and crashing the box. Isn’t the greatest target man, which is something to consider.

But in MLS, he’d probably still poach a ton of goals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larin was DP quality before he left and he’s still DP quality.

Just don’t think it’s worth it for a striker when Insigne and Berna are going to get the majority of goals anyway.

Cavallini on 500k with Ayo/JJ on bench would be perfect I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing not mentioned here yet is we have no wingers to properly deputize Insigne or Berna.

There’s got to be a guy on the bench that can actually contribute when either is injured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can look for players that aren't Canadian or Italian.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Former & current LAFC players are our third choice after those two.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
    I'm expecting a flurry of transactions. I'm sure there is tons going on behind the scenes right now.
    100%

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not expecting much from free agency. No idea why that idea is so popular around here.

1) Canadian teams have never done well in free agency. The reasons why Americans may not see this as a first choice have been discussed to death

2) We are not a good team that is one piece away (ie the Drew Moor calculation). We are a lot further away.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am not expecting much from free agency. No idea why that idea is so popular around here.

1) Canadian teams have never done well in free agency. The reasons why Americans may not see this as a first choice have been discussed to death

2) We are not a good team that is one piece away (ie the Drew Moor calculation). We are a lot further away.
    There are too many good options this year to not get at least a couple of good pieces. The rule changes have been around for long enough now that there's always a stable of veterans who are appealing.

I suspect we'll see a mix of promotions (Kobe Franklin, possibly Adam Pearlman, hopefully Paul Rothrock), MLS free agents (Sean Johnson would be nice and he ain't too dear), and foreign signings.

We might see a few trades. We have the pieces. But we've so far just gone for GAM and TAM, so that doesn't seem to be the trend so far.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because we have superstars that MLS players will want to play with and one of the most respected coaches in american soccer.

also there are way more free agents this year so more to choose from.

+ "one piece away" doesnt really exist in this league with so much fluctuation from year to year. in 2015 we finished 5th and got beat handily in the first round of the playoffs, hardly a bonafide contender.

+ the main free agents people have been discussing have played for NYCFC for years, so hardly averse to cold weather (a reason some people might turn down toronto).
    Last edited by leedsandTFC; 11-16-2022 at 05:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Or we can pin our hopes on Perruzza because he's both Italian and Canadian.

(Well we did ship out Petrasso who was both Italian and Canadian too)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Or we can pin our hopes on Perruzza because he's both Italian and Canadian.

(Well we did ship out Petrasso who was both Italian and Canadian too)
    Don't get me started on Perruzza... 2023 is his year

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because we have superstars that MLS players will want to play with and one of the most respected coaches in american soccer.

also there are way more free agents this year so more to choose from.

+ "one piece away" doesnt really exist in this league with so much fluctuation from year to year. in 2015 we finished 5th and got beat handily in the first round of the playoffs, hardly a bonafide contender.

+ the main free agents people have been discussing have played for NYCFC for years, so hardly averse to cold weather (a reason some people might turn down toronto).
    Unconvincing. High taxes, the border, issues with schools, other cultural things that we think are nothing and others don't… plus we are team that would have been relegated in a pro/rel system.

We'll see soon enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to be more on the cynical side with respect to our future prospects.

However, at this stage I’ve decided I just want to see the moves and watch the team play its first 5-10 games.

The waiting is just killing me in the interim.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unconvincing. High taxes, the border, issues with schools, other cultural things that we think are nothing and others don't… plus we are team that would have been relegated in a pro/rel system.

We'll see soon enough.
    Toronto is one of the most desirable cities on earth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conversely, it's easy to underestimate how wedded to their own culture some people are. And it IS very different, living here and in the U.S. The cultural/interpersonal differences get even wider across the pond.

Sometimes it's subtle but it's a real thing. We've had several players over the years, including Jacob Peterson, Ryan Richter, Conor Casey and Nick DeLeon who were honest about how uncomfortable they were living in Canada. Others, like Mark Bloom and Alan Gordon, had family reasons for wanting to live in the U.S.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Family oriented players love it here...nightlife loving types, not so much.

Edit because of what jloome just posted

Family oriented open minded people love it here

Geoff Cameron family oriented types? Not a good fit. Too many non-white people speaking different languages & not only when behind a checkout at Walmart.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 11-16-2022 at 06:52 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill Hamid is younger then Sean Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Family oriented players love it here...nightlife loving types, not so much.
    Not true. In NBA player circles they literally started calling Toronto “white Vegas” because everyone liked the nightlife here that much. It got to the point where the joke was the raptors scheduled Sunday noon games just so they could catch the opposing team on the back end of a bender.

I think what you really mean is this isn’t an attention magnet for those who have world class egos to be stroked or want to milk endorsement dollars to their highest possible level, which only comes from being in the largest markets. There are 2.5 cities where you can do that in MLS and we aren’t one of them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure I've seen any evidence that we've struggled to recruit mid level US talent. If anything we always seem to be stocked with them