Page 31 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much official now based on precedent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Univision reporting we were willing to part with Jozy for 4 million but America balked at the figure. I highly doubt any of that happened but whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Univision reporting we were willing to part with Jozy for 4 million but America balked at the figure. I highly doubt any of that happened but whatever.
    Yeah Im calling BS that we would only want 4 million for Jozy, lol.

In the current worldwide FIFA market, with the price tags on some guys, Jozy is at his prime and coming off a championship winning season/performance. He's worth 10-20 million, minimum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post

In the current worldwide FIFA market, with the price tags on some guys, Jozy is at his prime and coming off a championship winning season/performance. He's worth 10-20 million, minimum.
    Not sure about 20 but around 10 at least

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think Jozy's market value is $10-20M, given the contract he is on. He makes big money and is an FA in two years.

I hate to say it but I believe the Jozy rumour, or at least I think they would entertain serious discussions for him. He is at his maximum value right now, and has an injury history.

This is the kind of thing that makes Bez' job so tough. He has to start managing through a looming transition in two years (all the core guys are starting to age out and will be FAs then), and the league is completely changing in terms of roster construction strategies. TFC won't just be able to reload on the next Bradey/Altidore/Gio threesome - Leiweke is long gone, that level of spend is not justifiable a second time around, and the league will be full of teams that have younger, effective DPs.

I'm glad nothing came of it, though. As a fan - let's enjoy 2018 with these guys, then start the reload for real.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-28-2018 at 08:43 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love how MLSE can leverage their NBA team like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Selling Jozy for 4 million doesn't make sense unless they think they can make better use of the DP spot. A transfer fee of less than they paid for him doesn't translate into allocation money, so from a roster building/salary budget standpoint it makes no difference if they sell him or lose him as a free agent. It's not inconceivable that they could be looking to bring in a new DP striker, maybe even a young DP, but I would be wary of the risk of replacing a solid vet with lots left in the tank with a young player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great signing. TFC may have the best defender in MLS for two years.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax TFC View Post
    Selling Jozy for 4 million doesn't make sense unless they think they can make better use of the DP spot. A transfer fee of less than they paid for him doesn't translate into allocation money, so from a roster building/salary budget standpoint it makes no difference if they sell him or lose him as a free agent. It's not inconceivable that they could be looking to bring in a new DP striker, maybe even a young DP, but I would be wary of the risk of replacing a solid vet with lots left in the tank with a young player.
    Jozy's transfer fee was zero (although Defoe's was $10M - so I suppose you could make the case that he cost something, but it sure as heck ain't close to $10M - both of them were damaged goods at the time of the swap)

Transfer values are hugely impacted by contract length

I don't know that they are exactly "looking", but I think they'd have to think about any serious inquiry.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People have been messaging VdW on instagram and he is replying! It's a clear indicator that he is going to be with the team!!!

(Source: r/tfc)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Que restless TFC fans overloading his message box*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That message is correct – so far he has been an excellent addiction for this team ... or for us, anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Jozy's transfer fee was zero (although Defoe's was $10M - so I suppose you could make the case that he cost something, but it sure as heck ain't close to $10M - both of them were damaged goods at the time of the swap)

Transfer values are hugely impacted by contract length

I don't know that they are exactly "looking", but I think they'd have to think about any serious inquiry.
    We landed Jozy despite the league wanting him to play south of the border by going through the allocation order because we had the $10 million asset Sunderland wanted in return. I don't think the league is going to forget about that when calculating how much allocation we should get for selling him.

No doubt every player is for sale for the right price. But you don't put a price tag on one of your most valuable assets unless you have a very clear vision of how you're going to replace that player.

If you come along and offer to buy my daily driver off me for fair market value, I'm not going to take that unless I already had my eye on a new car that I could turn around and buy before I have to make the next commute to work. Otherwise you're going to have to offer me enough for it to make it worth the headache of scrambling to find something else to drive to work. Banking the money from selling the car and not replacing it isn't really an option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBTFC View Post

chelsea was prepared to bid for Peter Crouch at 37. Jozy could b seriously effective for a decent Premier League team. That’s worth something considerable.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 01-28-2018 at 11:41 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    That message is correct – so far he has been an excellent addiction for this team ... or for us, anyway
    That's gold!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I love how MLSE can leverage their NBA team like this.
    Interesting that 90% of the time it's the Raptors and not the Leafs they are leveraging. Shows the global reach of basketball versus hockey. And the NHL threw in the garbage the one chance they had to make some inroads globally (Olympics obviously).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Interesting that 90% of the time it's the Raptors and not the Leafs they are leveraging. Shows the global reach of basketball versus hockey. And the NHL threw in the garbage the one chance they had to make some inroads globally (Olympics obviously).
    Agreed completely. And not to go completely OT but... I'll always remember the Hot -Not NHL-NBA SI cover which appeared back in 94. The NHL (supposedly) had everything going for it and the NBA was in the dumps. It's all been one-way since that time, in the opposite direction.

Syndey Crosby's pay packet would make him roughly the 108th best player in the NBA today. Notwithstanding different team dynamics (basketball is far more concentrated in terms of the importance of an individual vs. other team sports) it's clear who is growing and who is not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I think it's a little bit of that and a little bit of the fact that basketball is the only sport where u can pretty much sit on the playing field during the action. Like it's the only time where u can overtly flex on ppl with ur seat at a sporting event.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the Miami announcement today, I suspect any incoming player signing to be done tomorrow.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I hope Gregory is coming here to play football and not rub shoulders with stars:
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...yd-mayweather/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this would be a great pick up!.....can wait for TFC to officially announce the signing of Rose Bertram!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How safe is it to assume any transfer fee can be amortized over the length of a contract? This part of the 2017 roster rules seems to suggest otherwise:

Special Discovery Players

In general, the total amount of the acquisition cost of a player is charged against the salary budget in the year in which it is paid. For one player on a club's roster (a "Special Discovery Player"), a club is able to amortize the total amount of acquisition costs (up to $500,000) over the term of the player's contract.

• Special Discovery Players must be 27-years-old or younger during the league year under consideration.
    • There may be no more than one Special Discovery Player per number of clubs in the league (i.e., 22 total Special Discovery Players in 2017).
    • A club may have more than one Special Discovery Player on its Senior Roster at any given time if the club received the additional player(s) via trade. However, the Club trading the Special Discovery Player may not sign a new Special Discovery Player until the traded Special Discovery Player's original SPA expires, the player's contract is terminated, or all the amortized acquisition costs are accounted for in the Budget Charge.
    • Targeted Allocation Money may be used on a Special Discovery Player if he qualifies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pics from the Raptor game all but seal the deal, lol. Very exciting addition!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan View Post
    How safe is it to assume any transfer fee can be amortized over the length of a contract? This part of the 2017 roster rules seems to suggest otherwise:

Special Discovery Players

In general, the total amount of the acquisition cost of a player is charged against the salary budget in the year in which it is paid. For one player on a club's roster (a "Special Discovery Player"), a club is able to amortize the total amount of acquisition costs (up to $500,000) over the term of the player's contract.

• Special Discovery Players must be 27-years-old or younger during the league year under consideration.
    • There may be no more than one Special Discovery Player per number of clubs in the league (i.e., 22 total Special Discovery Players in 2017).
    • A club may have more than one Special Discovery Player on its Senior Roster at any given time if the club received the additional player(s) via trade. However, the Club trading the Special Discovery Player may not sign a new Special Discovery Player until the traded Special Discovery Player's original SPA expires, the player's contract is terminated, or all the amortized acquisition costs are accounted for in the Budget Charge.
    • Targeted Allocation Money may be used on a Special Discovery Player if he qualifies.
    In the case of VdW it wouldn't make much difference either way if it's a 2 year deal like it's rumored. They can use next year's TAM now if they need to. So it's either pay half the transfer fee now and half next year or all of it now with both years TAM available

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMan View Post

Almost all transfer fees are amortized. MLS has just set it so that the transfer fee is amortized over the course of the contract, with that yearly fee going towards the players cap hit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The announcement has got to be today, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    Almost all transfer fees are amortized.
    Yes, for clubs in their yearly financials.

MLS has just set it so that the transfer fee is amortized over the course of the contract, with that yearly fee going towards the players cap hit.
    Not entirely sure given publicly available evidence. How was Bradley's $10M fee dealt with? He's just got a straight up regular DP budget charge.

I think when fees are small/under DP threshold then they get added to a budget charge but how they are added depends on TAM/Special Discovery player/Regular Discovery player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I think it's a little bit of that and a little bit of the fact that basketball is the only sport where u can pretty much sit on the playing field during the action. Like it's the only time where u can overtly flex on ppl with ur seat at a sporting event.
    Wasn't the best example of this when Defoe and his mother were sitting courtside and Lebron came over to his mother and said "tell your son Toronto is a great city" or something to that effect?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hatem Ben Arfa is feeling pretty unsettled @ PSG, still just 30 years old...could he be a TAM-able winger for us? How much Garber bucks do we have anyways, anyone keeping track?