Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Almeyda the best coach in MLS? A bit of a wonder San Jose grabbed him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    And this story....this is now just a legend.

Orlando fans storm a closed section to watch their team win a PK fight abetted by a running CEO telling his minimum wage security contracted yellow shirts to "Let Them In"

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/orl...-open-cup-win/
    This is actually kind of lame.

I mean, this? This is the best thing they've done?

The seat cushions were way better than this, and we did that in our 5th ever game.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Telfer scored a game winner for York9 against the Eddies. He's on a roll. I'm looking forward to when he becomes a first team regular.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/can...y-14-1.5211695

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Telfer scored a game winner for York9 against the Eddies. He's on a roll. I'm looking forward to when he becomes a first team regular.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/can...y-14-1.5211695
    TFC needs at least four wingers next year if they will play a 4-3-3. Gallardo, second TAM signing?, DP if Bradley leaves then have the Shaff and Telfer.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whitecaps now in the Western conference basement. Terrible record. Team seems to have given up. Fans demoralized.

Got rid of Robbo for not winning enough in recent years and brought in a new coach who burned down everything. It sounds vaguely familiar but worse than TFC during the Mariner era or the Preki era.

https://theprovince.com/sports/socce...rence-basement
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 07-15-2019 at 06:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see plenty of reasons to be demoralized if you’re a whitecaps fan. The owners are still too cheap to invest in the team or commit to real designated players. All the attacking signings they made in the off season have flopped in an epic fashion.

Clearly, they need to gut the front office (as if the sexual harassment scandal wasn’t enough of an incentive to begin with). Bob Lendarduzzi might actually be worse than Mo Johnston.

I think MDS is smart (and has succeeded at every level he’s coached) but something is still off.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whitecaps now in the Western conference basement. Terrible record. Team seems to have given up. Fans demoralized.

Got rid of Robbo for not winning enough in recent years and brought in a new coach who burned down everything. It sounds vaguely familiar but worse than TFC during the Mariner era or the Preki era.

https://theprovince.com/sports/socce...rence-basement
    First MLS non-TFC game I watched end to end in 3 months was that LAFC whitewashing of VWC last week. Holy crap did they look bad.

I guess LAFC, if they go the distance, are going the end the argument over best MLS single season ever.

If.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If.
    Zero reasons no to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, they lost midweek in the USOC so TFC's treble will still be the benchmark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Zero reasons no to.
    they wont get the treble and we will stop them in the playoffs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Well, they lost midweek in the USOC so TFC's treble will still be the benchmark.
    While we think this, no one else does as they don’t consider our cup a real competition even if we can’t compete in the Open Cup.

Had we beat Seattle the previous year it would have made a better case, I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    While we think this, no one else does as they don’t consider our cup a real competition even if we can’t compete in the Open Cup.

Had we beat Seattle the previous year it would have made a better case, I guess.
    not our problem
    its still a treble
    plus LAFC didnt lose out the previous year in PKs to a team with zero shots on net.
    we were 1/2" away from winning back to back

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For MLS sides the Open Cup and the Canadian Championship are about the same difficulty. The larger number of lower-league and amateur teams in the USOC doesn't matter to an MLS side as they only enter near the end of the competition.

A bigger issue is that TFC doesn't feature much in US media so most Americans aren't that familiar, except that we have 2 of the players that they blame for the USMNT failures. So more Americans will be aware of LAFC than TFC.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You’re preaching to the converted.

That said, your arguments would never sway fans of an American team so it doesn’t really matter. For them, CanChamp simply doesn’t count. Has nothing to do with the USMNT players or that Toronto was or wasn’t given enough media attention — it’s basically all centre around the fact that TFC didn’t win the Open Cup even though they can’t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For MLS sides the Open Cup and the Canadian Championship are about the same difficulty. The larger number of lower-league and amateur teams in the USOC doesn't matter to an MLS side as they only enter near the end of the competition.
    Maybe it's not a lot more difficult for the MLS sides (but I'd say it's clearly more difficult), but this is just one take of the whole picture.
    The strenghth of any competition in the world in any sport is given by the number of "strong" teams competing in it. Only one team takes the final trophy.

From the 24 MLS teams 21 are Americans.
    In the US open cup there are 21 "strong" teams competing, and in the Canadian Championship 3.
    So seriously and sadly, but the truth is that the US open cup is way more strong and prestigious from a neutral observer's point of view.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stegosaurus View Post
    You’re preaching to the converted.

That said, your arguments would never sway fans of an American team so it doesn’t really matter. For them, CanChamp simply doesn’t count. Has nothing to do with the USMNT players or that Toronto was or wasn’t given enough media attention — it’s basically all centre around the fact that TFC didn’t win the Open Cup even though they can’t.
    I’d put it this way: in the argument for greatest season ever, if the two teams are relatively similar, does anyone really think a domestic cup performance is the tie breaker?

Dominance in winning MLS playoffs, CCL record, regular season points total / dominance in regular season. I’d consider any of those more important than the domestic cup.

The question is: what do you consider the TFC CCL run? The same team or a different one?

LAFC looking good but still with lots of work to do to match 2017 TFC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The question is: what do you consider the TFC CCL run? The same team or a different one?

LAFC looking good but still with lots of work to do to match 2017 TFC
    Same team for me. That was a continuance.

LAFC (so far this season) and even NYRB last season had relative luck with injuries. We had a lot of man games lost from injury and call ups in 2017 and still chugged along.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAFC play a very pleasing game and dominate their opponents like nobody else before them. They will not be the most successful team in MLS ever. But they do remind me of Man City last season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how does adding in the CCL next year? would they be the most successful?

In league they are dominant but as C.Ronaldo said above I think they might get stopped in the final if they get there. The points total record though looks like it's about to be fully rewritten.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section_105 View Post
    how does adding in the CCL next year? would they be the most successful?

In league they are dominant but as C.Ronaldo said above I think they might get stopped in the final if they get there. The points total record though looks like it's about to be fully rewritten.
    If they win the CCL, the Shield, and the Cup, it would hard to not consider them the most successful, even though we came one sitter from winning it all.

I'm not sure they are going to even get the double though. I guess we'll see.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

people just need things to talk about, columns to write.

absurd to be talking about "best team ever" halfway though the season.

if they go on to win the MLS cup and supporters shield, then the conversation can start.

as someone noted before, TFC 2017 had a lot of injuries and still managed to get 69 points and win MLS cup.

doubtful that if vela or kaye get inured they will have the same dominance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe Bendik has been on a lot of teams today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zlatan is something else. The goal he just scored in El Traffico is insane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    Zlatan is something else. The goal he just scored in El Traffico is insane
    Meh. Slightly better first touch than Tosaint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My god man. 37 years old and he's the best striker in the league by a god damn mile.

He's too full of himself for my taste sometimes but shit I guess he should be...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a very fun match to watch. The man talks a lot of shit because he backs it up everytime. Pure entertainer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His audacity is matched only by his skill. He's on a whole different frequency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zlatan being Zlatan. Spectacular hat trick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    My god man. 37 years old and he's the best striker in the league by a god damn mile.

He's too full of himself for my taste sometimes but shit I guess he should be...
    This sadly gives a very good measure of the strength of the league compared to the best leagues of the world.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are maybe 4 leagues where Zlatan wouldn't be kicking people's butts BUT....he was disengaged for most of their last 10 games.