Page 63 of 191 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,890 of 5705
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Avram Grant took Chelsea to the Champions league final in 2008 only to lose on penalties when John Terry slipped
    Avram Grant is an absolute no name coach, As long as TFC bring in the these Italians that are all over the twitter universe then Bob Bradley will be just fine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Section 223 View Post
    Avram Grant took Chelsea to the Champions league final in 2008 only to lose on penalties when John Terry slipped
    They lost, didn’t win. Nah I am joking, that is a good example actually. He really was way over his head but somehow they did well. Solid roster.

… bet no one can name two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Been following Insigne on Instagram for awhile and noticed today he put up a nice birthday wish for his best buddy, Dom Criscito. Obviously it could be just a friend sharing his love for his buddy on his birthday, but those Criscito rumors make a lot more sense when you consider he and Insigne are super tight.
    With the reporting by SB that BM is heading to Italy to meet LI's agent/s, I still want to acknowledge how we may have got here.

Very, very, very, interesting. Great web sleuthing MikeForbes. Possibility to probability is the space in between that I enjoy and that makes the RPB Forum, it's threads, the comments and the speculation fun; been a lurker for about 8 years. Respect to TheGoodson for sharing IMO the second of my top three most relevant thoughts offered for this off season; for paying forward among the earliest and most relevant and plausible details to us. I dare say, more so then even many of the various and in-the-know media pundits; I believe one of his mentions may have even been used by the foreign press as the origin source as even Areathrasher may have highlighted.

Bit of a neo-luddite and won't be bothered to figure it out at this time, but maybe, if it's worthy, someone else can help and post the Facebook video of Criscito and Insigne having some fun at Balotelli's expense from a few years back. I believe there is a collegial connection between MD and MB. I believe the visit with teammate DC occurred. Now with the link between DC and LI, being good friends, this is something... real smoke if not fire. I guess the question is... was DC an intermediary for his friend given his age or did he come along with his teammate MD for himself and then said not for me or not only for me but hey LI since your getting mistreated you might be interested to know and might want to consider...? Regardless if MD and/or DC are to be out of contract or not at end of their season, it's likely Genoa FC are getting relegated and those should be automatically terminated; freeing them as long as their agents were contractually prudent. LI is representative of something; something unique and less experienced everyday in football; and yes I know he's been loaned out. It's SerieA old school. WE ARE NAPOLI. Their Ultra's recently gave the world the chant... Un giorno all'improviso... He's local; the South... a way of thinking and a way of life. It's debatable-fairly whether he's in legendary territory for the club but like Maldini or Totti, I do not think he wants to and prefers not to play for another SerieA team for his legacy. I believe he will leave the league a la Maradonna after the runs at World Cup and Scudetto are settled. Whether he stays in Europe or ends up in NA is to be seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming Soteldo and Jody out and Insigne in, is it possible TFC signs a 1.6m 3rd DP to get the three U22 spots?

I’m wondering if doing so would actually be better use of their financial muscle because they could offer a 612k wage and pay whatever in release clauses to get them as the U22 follows DP rules.

I looked at Ajax and they have several top U22 making between 500k and 2m. They’re key contributors and well regarded players like Timber, Rensch, Gravenberch, Antony. I realize there’s big difference between 2m and 612k but there seems to be several people that 612k in North America might be enticing. Just an example of competitive teams using U22 players successfully.

Is it feasible to go this route? Maybe look for 20 yr olds making 200k with a 3-5 million release as they’d likely be interested in a heighten visibility league with a 600k wage then could move from Europe but still be fully able to play immediately. Just thinking TFC may be wise to spend 20 million on 4 quality players by going DP 1.6, three u22 @ 612k each and four total transfers @ 3-5 million each. They could easily get a pretty solid ROI on this expense too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Ever since our first DP (JdG) we have always overpaid for mid/late-prime players and had one of the 2 or 3 highest payrolls in the league. Through Frings/Koevermans, Defoe/Bradley, Altidore/Giovinco, and beyond.

This isn’t going to change.

Analyze MLSE’s corporate strategy all you want, we have a decade-plus of history to point to. Whoever we sign this window is going to follow the same pattern.
    This is 100% right.
    And exactly because of this I posted at least 3-4 times through the last 2 years that compared to full payroll vs results, we are the biggest underachievers in the history of MLS.
    The reaction to my posts was always overwhelmingly negative, and I will never understand why.
    Simply it's the pure truth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    This is 100% right.
    And exactly because of this I posted at least 3-4 times through the last 2 years that compared to full payroll vs results, we are the biggest underachievers in the history of MLS.
    The reaction to my posts was always overwhelmingly negative, and I will never understand why.
    Simply it's the pure truth.
    Biggest underachievers compared to payroll, yes, but one of the biggest achievers according to ambition. Only a handful of clubs have really made an impact in the league in the last 7 years or so, and we're certainly in the top 2 along with Seattle. I'd rather us be an overpaying underachiever than a do-nothing club like Houston or SJ.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$ per point is a bad metric

MLSE has been, with the exception of the Curtis era, ambitious. And Poz, under Curtis, was an ambitious move that paid off in a MLS cup final appearance & a shield run.

2015 - success, playoffs finally

2016 - success, cup final

2017 - best team ever

2018 - crud (after CCL)

2019 - cup final loss

2020 - shield run

2021 - crud

Only Seattle beats that record & most teams don't come close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Webdogg View Post
    Assuming Soteldo and Jody out and Insigne in, is it possible TFC signs a 1.6m 3rd DP to get the three U22 spots?

I’m wondering if doing so would actually be better use of their financial muscle because they could offer a 612k wage and pay whatever in release clauses to get them as the U22 follows DP rules.

I looked at Ajax and they have several top U22 making between 500k and 2m. They’re key contributors and well regarded players like Timber, Rensch, Gravenberch, Antony. I realize there’s big difference between 2m and 612k but there seems to be several people that 612k in North America might be enticing. Just an example of competitive teams using U22 players successfully.

Is it feasible to go this route? Maybe look for 20 yr olds making 200k with a 3-5 million release as they’d likely be interested in a heighten visibility league with a 600k wage then could move from Europe but still be fully able to play immediately. Just thinking TFC may be wise to spend 20 million on 4 quality players by going DP 1.6, three u22 @ 612k each and four total transfers @ 3-5 million each. They could easily get a pretty solid ROI on this expense too.
    If Insigne is in, Soteldo is out. I like Soteldo, his hard knox life facial look at certain moments, forty yet only 24, with Maradonna physicality, those tree trunk legs that make his shorts look like a Speedo. I enjoy the way he often brays MLS defensive mules. His production has been decent, given this season, this team’s circumstances and shows potential. I get the argument of either Poz or Soteldo; I think it can be tactically overcome. I also believe something is off; parts of some of the rumors about Soteldo may hold a degree of truth. Mostly, I think any issues may have been intensified by him having been apart and too far away from his young family; one he seems to cherish according to social media and whose company likely also grounded him. Missing family, wife and kids, being nearer to them, is a theme and now all too familiar tune of some other TFC players and management; and respectfully so should be in these challenging and uncertain times.

In this moment, feasible or not, I don’t see the organization going the U22 route. Its just not in their playbook; I don't think they have really thought through and modeled out the business of selling players/assets. I think TFC operations- President Manning and down, have been authorized to use a MLSE corporate- Board down, tested template. A Leiweke tried version; a model that was dusted off for adaption by MLSE key advisors and consultants, as well as a marketing and numbers core. Whether it’s still relevant, that is... true, is the question. MLSE appears to be going all in.
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 12-31-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lorenzo Insigne and Mimmo Criscito at Toronto , both in June: the road is clear, the next few days will be important to go to the definition. Until the signing, it is right to have a minimum of prudence, as always, but this double operation can only be skipped in the event of sudden - and today not predictable - repentances of those directly involved. The Insigne operation received a decisive boost thanks to the work of the intermediary Andrea D'Amico , who has long been accustomed to closing decisive operations on the intercontinental route. While his agent Pisacane attacked De Laurentiis and memorized the alleged interests of Inter and Milan, there were those who brought the operation to an advanced stage. And Napoli has considered it appropriate - at least up to now - not to relaunch. Between Tuesday and Wednesday there will be the Toronto managers in Rome: the intention is to close now for June. The duration of the contract: four years plus one option. Let's definitively clarify the discussion on the figures: there are 10 million NET plus bonuses to get to 15. There have been a thousand interpretations, including that of Giovinco , which do not adhere to reality. As for Mimmo Criscito, we confirm our anticipation of a few days ago : he too is destined for Toronto, but from June. Now it is too important to stay at Genoaand help him to achieve salvation, but the two-year basis is valid and work will be done to refine the figures. Insigne and Criscito have made a definitive choice: we repeat, only a sensational and today unpredictable repentance could change the scenarios.

https://www.alfredopedulla.com/il-re...la-tempistica/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just so everyone knows Alfredo Pedulla who is being quoted above is a journalist for the Gazzetta Dello Sport which is the most respected sports newspaper in Italy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“There have been a thousand interpretations, including that of Giovinco , which do not adhere to reality."

Oof.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope Criscito is one of them Italian defenders that ages like a fine wine....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    Just so everyone knows Alfredo Pedulla who is being quoted above is a journalist for the Gazzetta Dello Sport which is the most respected sports newspaper in Italy
    He is also saying July, which raises a couple of concerns/comments:
    1) We may not need not worry about the National team (there is a real possibility that the Azzuri will miss again (its them or Portugal not going) and
    2) We will have neither until then, what type of football will we be playing, there is no guarantee that Akinola will be back for the start of the season so what else does Manning have up his sleeve. 17 Games is a lot.

No Jozy, No Soteldo, No Akinola …we need to shore up the defense….

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Especially as we are going to be asking that 35 year old to play another 4.5 months after a full Italian season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since we are going Italian we might as well go get old man Chiellini, line him up with Laryea and just win through pure shithousery

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Especially as we are going to be asking that 35 year old to play another 4.5 months after a full Italian season.
    Aye, it's a concern. Serie A is due to finish May 22nd. Give both of them a month off. Get them into shape in July and have em ready to hit the ground in August? Something like that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE has been, with the exception of the Curtis era, ambitious. And Poz, under Curtis, was an ambitious move that paid off in a MLS cup final appearance & a shield run.

2017 - best team ever

2018 - crud (after CCL)

2019 - cup final loss

2020 - shield run

2021 - crud

Not sure it's enough to say “only Seattle was better”. Feels like there are a cluster of teams not that different than us. It’s worth it to look at this question closely, just to remember how we got here, ie how Curtis got his job in the first place. There was obviously an idea that we could layer our spending on top of more traditional forms of MLS success, to create something new and powerful. I think that idea had merit, they just hired the wrong guy…

———-

Portland has been to three Cup finals in 6 years, winning one, and won that 2020 thing, whatever it was. They didn’t have our 2017 year but then they did not spit the bit twice like we did, they were a factor every year (I think, they might have missed the playoffs once in there, but they never cratered like we did twice)

If we are counting silverware, we have two meaningful pieces (the 2017 trophies).

- Atlanta has a an MLS Cup, a US Open Cup, and was arguably the dominant team in the league for two straight full years.

- NYRB won three SS in 5 years, starting in 2013 or 2014.

- SKC won the MLS Cup in 2013, the US Open Cup twice after that, and, like Portland and unlike us, have been consistently in it every year

- Lest we forget, Dallas won the SS and the US Open Cup in 2016. They were a model of success for a long time in this league. The “selling club” thing is pretty recent there.

Then, to be fair, there have been a couple of spending teams that have been demonstrably worse than us.

LAG. The Fire were up there in payroll for much of the period with Schweinsteiger, more than they are today. Miami probably also.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-31-2021 at 09:28 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can throw Cincinnati in for a high spending team doing shite

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Yes, for sure.

My question is: what is the lesson we should take from the Curtis debacle? MLSE are apparently going back to the long-standing game plan of spend/splash, which is fun… but how do we get better at basic MLS blocking/tackling, which we have almost never been very good at?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lorenzo Insigne and Mimmo Criscito at Toronto , both in June: the road is clear, the next few days will be important to go to the definition. Until the signing, it is right to have a minimum of prudence, as always, but this double operation can only be skipped in the event of sudden - and today not predictable - repentances of those directly involved. The Insigne operation received a decisive boost thanks to the work of the intermediary Andrea D'Amico , who has long been accustomed to closing decisive operations on the intercontinental route. While his agent Pisacane attacked De Laurentiis and memorized the alleged interests of Inter and Milan, there were those who brought the operation to an advanced stage. And Napoli has considered it appropriate - at least up to now - not to relaunch. Between Tuesday and Wednesday there will be the Toronto managers in Rome: the intention is to close now for June. The duration of the contract: four years plus one option. Let's definitively clarify the discussion on the figures: there are 10 million NET plus bonuses to get to 15. There have been a thousand interpretations, including that of Giovinco , which do not adhere to reality. As for Mimmo Criscito, we confirm our anticipation of a few days ago : he too is destined for Toronto, but from June. Now it is too important to stay at Genoaand help him to achieve salvation, but the two-year basis is valid and work will be done to refine the figures. Insigne and Criscito have made a definitive choice: we repeat, only a sensational and today unpredictable repentance could change the scenarios.

https://www.alfredopedulla.com/il-re...la-tempistica/
    At first I was thinking this is a really poetic and flowery post from Areathrasher. Not that I didn't enjoy your other posts, but seemed a bit out of the ordinary for you!
    But now I see it's a quote. Lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^Yes, for sure.

My question is: what is the lesson we should take from the Curtis debacle? MLSE are apparently going back to the long-standing game plan of spend/splash, which is fun… but how do we get better at basic MLS blocking/tackling, which we have almost never been very good at?
    Need a GM that matches the team's ambitions. Curtis was too provincial I think. Also need a coach with a very solid hand at the till.

Don't know about the blocking and tackling part. Hopefully a coach with a very good understanding of the league?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoodson View Post
    This obviously is meaningful.

I also appreciate the reporters careful phrasing, which comes through even in translation. I am guessing the Italian version of “sensational and unpredictable repentance” sounds fantastic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but how do we get better at basic MLS blocking/tackling, which we have almost never been very good at?
    By having a manager who drills that in to them which is a facet of the game we haven't focused on since Nelsen. That's not to dismiss Vanney but that wasn't his focus. I think BB will bring some of the fundamentals back. LAFC defended fairly well for having no great defenders and always shit GKs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iirc Criscito was an Andrea D’Amico client back in the Seba days. Andrea is supposedly attending the Insigne meetings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2017 - best team ever

2018 - crud (after CCL)

2019 - cup final loss

2020 - shield run

2021 - crud

some people dont want to deal with reality,they jus wanna complain and say the sky is falling every off season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call this lazy analysis but part of me wonders if part of the play here is BB raising the overall tactical acumen of a MLS team.

We’ve all seen that while the level of individual skill in this league has gone up (a lot), tactically this place is still a bit lagging.

Maybe this is a real revelation if guys still have the legs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Yes, for sure.

Here’s my takeaway:

Bez = Glen Grunwald, nice guy, makes likeable teams but perhaps not the best all around manager.
    Curtis = Rob Babcock. Tin head who makes odd ball moves to spite himself.
    Bob Bradley = Brian Collangelo or Maasai … only time will tell. One lived off their prior reputation, the other was revolutionary.

If Bradley posts to Twitter under a pseudonym and says “Bradley has got this” we’ll have our answer, hahaha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Call this lazy analysis but part of me wonders if part of the play here is BB raising the overall tactical acumen of a MLS team.

We’ve all seen that while the level of individual skill in this league has gone up (a lot), tactically this place is still a bit lagging.

Maybe this is a real revelation if guys still have the legs.
    I can imagine that being part of the calculus of the signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Criscito is definitely gonna be a huge upgrade for us. In the meantime we must continue to plug away with some combination of O'Neill, Mavinga and Lawrence at CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Iirc Criscito was an Andrea D’Amico client back in the Seba days. Andrea is supposedly attending the Insigne meetings.
    Still is per Transfermarkt