Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So kind of what I was expecting: 5 home games (and only 1 away game) from March 31st through May 3rd, when the weather mostly sucks especially down by the lake. Partly to free up more time in the summer & fall for the Argos, plus needing to leave room for the CCL etc. I guess.

4 home games & 6 away games in July & Aug; that's not as unbalanced as I was expecting.

However 2pm home on Sunday July 30th: yuck. Most of the other summer times are not specified yet.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul-collins View Post
    Actually, I think it's just as much to respect the international window.
    Yes. There is definitely compensating going on for the Gold Cup/International break. This is pretty amazing from MLS, actually. Good on them.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
    Hotels in Montreal for August 27 are selling out fast ...1 night running at least $175+ at most places near Peel (Best Western, Travelodge, Novotel)
    I managed to book a train trip($99 return) and hotel($550 for 3 nights) yesterday. \o/

Hotel rooms are going to be scarce later on as the city of Montreal will be celebrating their 375th anniversary all year.
    http://www.375mtl.com/en/

Also the Montreal Film Festival will be on while Toronto is in town.
    http://www.ffm-montreal.org/en/home.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Yes. There is definitely compensating going on for the Gold Cup/International break. This is pretty amazing from MLS, actually. Good on them.
    Yes, this is a necessary step forward for the league (if this is in fact the motivation).

We won't be losing Bradley, Altidore, Cooper, etc for stretches of the summer to other competitions, which is huge for us. Last summer we had a makeshift midfield for a good stretch, and were able to weather the storm. (Cheyrou was massive during that time) This year we will have a better shot at keeping the team together...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But we may still be losing those guys for 8 days + travel time, for the KO & final rounds of the Gold Cup, is that correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are there so many Friday home games? Have we ever even had 5 of them in 10 years combined??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Why are there so many Friday home games? Have we ever even had 5 of them in 10 years combined??
    Because Saturday night is a disaster for TV ratings, especially in the summer.

Trying something new. Not the worst idea. It ends once the CFL season starts.

They obviously have a decision yet to be made with the September/October Saturday games, in terms of start times. I think they'd love for them all to be Saturday nights, but then they'd have several games going head to head with HNIC, which seems dumb.
    Last edited by ensco; 01-13-2017 at 09:45 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Because Saturday night is a disaster for TV ratings.
    But Shark Tank is on Friday nights!!!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    But we may still be losing those guys for 8 days + travel time, for the KO & final rounds of the Gold Cup, is that correct?
    Looks that way. It's a tough sell to take the entire tourney off with a sched this long.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    TSN new contract

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

friday night is AWESOME!!!!

gives me two full days to reocoup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to come down from up north for Friday games, but interested to see the numbers they'll get on TV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fifa breaks

March 20-28
    June 5-13
    Gold Cup July 7-26 (@NYCFC July 19; vs Colorado July 22)
    Aug 28-Sept 5 (CNE, referenced above)
    Oct 2-10
    Nov 6-14

so only 2 games during the international calendar. Nice. (of course CCL and VCup not listed yet...)
    Yes, two games overlap GC final week (as far as FIFA's listing of the GC dates is concerned). I'm sure any Americans would expect to still be playing that week in the GC.

The knockout games aren't yet announced so we don't actually know when the GC ends; I'm assuming it'll be contained in the FIFA dates, but I've seen suggestion elsewhere that it could be as late as July 30 (I hope that's not true).

The Americans kick off July 8 in group B, and we play in Orlando July 5. We shouldn't lose our Americans. Not sure about Cooper or any Canucks (or others) though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, two games overlap GC final week (as far as FIFA's listing of the GC dates is concerned). I'm sure any Americans would expect to still be playing that week in the GC.

The knockout games aren't yet announced so we don't actually know when the GC ends; I'm assuming it'll be contained in the FIFA dates, but I've seen suggestion elsewhere that it could be as late as July 30 (I hope that's not true).

The Americans kick off July 8 in group B, and we play in Orlando July 5. We shouldn't lose our Americans. Not sure about Cooper or any Canucks (or others) though.
    They will be gone before than, players will be released at least a week before as they have always been in the past.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Friday night games are fantastic for local fans but I can see why some people who live outside of the city proper would be annoyed by it given the Friday rush hour commute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just hope the Friday games kickoff are at 7:30pm or even better 8pm. 7pm kickoffs for weekday games are brutal when such large numbers of people don't Finnish work till 4pm-6pm...plus rush hour exc, it's the worst time, even those that live in Toronto 7pm can be a mad dash to make it on time. stadiums always half empty at 7pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    • For the first time MLS will not schedule any matches during the CONCACAF Gold Cup group stage from July 7 through July 17;
    ... Gold Cup July 7-26 (@NYCFC July 19; vs Colorado July 22)
    The Toronto IndyCar race weekend is July 14-16, so there would not have been a home game then anyway.
    FWIW, apparently there's a good chance the 2017 event could be the last one before it moves out to Mosport, where the track's multi-billionaire owner (Carlo Fidani of Orlando Corp.) may want to acquire it while the city and present promoters may be ready to give up.
    http://racingnorth.ca/2016/07/18/is-...s-expiry-date/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy shit, no CCL games this year? 2017-18 tournament (for which TFC has already qualified) will restart Feb. 2018?

- I wish CONCACAF would make their minds up & stick with it. Wasn't it only 2015 that the tournament format was last changed, and Vancouver qualified by way of their MLS table position as the VC was bypassed as the qualifier? Now they change it again?

- Where the hell is TFC going to play a February home game, with the Roger Centre increasingly unavailable? Unless they can avoid the Feb. matches due to the MLS participants apparently skipping the group stage & advancing directly to the 16-team knockout phase.

I believe some SSH'ers already pre-paid for CCL games for 2017, let's see how that works out. I was looking forward to CCL games again, too bad. At least we'll avoid some of the fixture congestion this summer, giving players (and the pitch) more time to recuperate.

I read about it here: http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/14...ears-mls-draft

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy shit, no CCL games this year? 2017-18 tournament (for which TFC has already qualified) will restart Feb. 2018?

- I wish CONCACAF would make their minds up & stick with it. Wasn't it only 2015 that the tournament format was last changed, and Vancouver qualified by way of their MLS table position as the VC was bypassed as the qualifier? Now they change it again?

- Where the hell is TFC going to play a February home game, with the Roger Centre increasingly unavailable? Unless they can avoid the Feb. matches due to the MLS participants apparently skipping the group stage & advancing directly to the 16-team knockout phase.

I believe some SSH'ers already pre-paid for CCL games for 2017, let's see how that works out. I was looking forward to CCL games again, too bad. At least we'll avoid some of the fixture congestion this summer, giving players (and the pitch) more time to recuperate.

I read about it here: http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/14...ears-mls-draft
    Ugh. Sounds like another CCL scheduling nightmare. Feb was for the KO portion. Now what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS teams (and others) are getting a bye for the group stage. The smaller countries are participating in group stage in the summer, still.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E...ble_new_format

In December 2016, Manuel Quintanilla, president of the Nicaraguan Football Federation, spoke of a possible new format for the competition, a statement that was later corroborated by Garth Lagerwey, the general manager of the Seattle Sounders FC.[7] The competition would be expanded from 24 to 31 teams, and would be divided into two phases: Autumn and Spring. Sixteen teams will take part in each tournament:[8]

• In the Autumn tournament (from August to October), there would be thirteen Central American clubs and three Caribbean clubs. The champion would qualify for the Spring tournament.
    • In the Spring tournament, there would be four Mexican clubs, four American clubs, one Canadian club, five Central American clubs, one Caribbean club and the winner of the Autumn tournament.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, didn't we pay (or at least have the option) for those tournament games as part of our renewal?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Orlando gets in, and we play them, does Will Johnson get to play 45 minutes for us and 45 minutes for them?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait, didn't we pay (or at least have the option) for those tournament games as part of our renewal?
    Yes, there was, and I certainly paid for it (with the 2 for 1 deal). Now it’ll be interesting to see what happens if no champions league games are played this season. My guess is either a refund for those, or a summer friendly takes place instead, and those that paid will get a credit for that game

Or maybe a credit towards playoff tickets instead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haven't seen kick off times yet so I'm guessing they haven't been nailed down....correct?
    should be pretty easy to guess, but wondering mostly if the Saturday kickoffs are going back to late afternoon or staying night games....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC Tifoso View Post
    haven't seen kick off times yet so I'm guessing they haven't been nailed down....correct?
    should be pretty easy to guess, but wondering mostly if the Saturday kickoffs are going back to late afternoon or staying night games....
    Would lean towards the Saturday games being mostly nights again (no hockey to compete against, and could manoeuvre the CFL games around it).
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sept 16th vs LA is very doable for me and son. Been wanting to go to LA for TFC game for few years now :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    Would lean towards the Saturday games being mostly nights again (no hockey to compete against, and could manoeuvre the CFL games around it).
    ya wouldn't be surprised....but I won't complain at all if they go back to afternoon....I liked those much better...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya wouldn't be surprised....but I won't complain at all if they go back to afternoon....I liked those much better...
    Just as long as there isn't anymore 2pm starts in the dead of summer I am happy.
    Damn you ESPN!
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya those were brutal....4 pm was ideal imo....were able to get out of there by 6 and home no later that 7 for people who had a bit to get home....and you could still make something out of your Saturday night....

I gave up a lot of tickets last year or just let them burn with my seats empty for too many games....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya those were brutal....4 pm was ideal imo....were able to get out of there by 6 and home no later that 7 for people who had a bit to get home....and you could still make something out of your Saturday night....

I gave up a lot of tickets last year or just let them burn with my seats empty for too many games....
    Was it the Saturday nights the caused you to bail on games?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!