Page 187 of 193 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191 ... LastLast
Results 5,581 to 5,610 of 5785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba made an Instagram story post saying he has not returned and would return to TFC as a player if we asked him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Seba made an Instagram story post saying he has not returned and would return to TFC as a player if we asked him.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only way Seba comes back is if MLS makes an over 35 rule, where the Allocation Order no longer applies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sign him for Friday, just so that those of us who go have a reason to be interested…

btw this Juve Academy story is distressing. We have an academy problem. There is a ton of talent in the GTA and TFC is getting very little of it.

So the answer is that our most noteworthy player ever … is now recruiting young area players to skip by TFC?

Seba owns a lot of what happened here in 2019, and this past spring, but even still… this just feels of more of Bob's “my way or the highway” … and this has not landed where it should have. Seba should be in the TFC Academy setup.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-24-2022 at 11:24 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As things are currently TFC are closer to "the world's worst club" then to an MLS Cup. This next transfer window could be the most important in club history in terms of setting a direction for the club over the next 4 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    A little egg on the face of whatever journalistic integrity The Beezer- Steve Buffery has left?
    I mean the story is in his back yard?
    A basic... easy... fact to verify?
    The crux...
    "TFC’s all-time leading scorer is now reportedly officially retired and has joined the Juventus Academy in Toronto (which actually is in Vaughan)."
    IIUC, a simple google search yields no such 'officially confirmed/confirming reports'?
    Seems just one Italian web site makes some sort of mention; numero diez- report by Vittorio Mereu?
    Whom in turn offers a twitter reference by Nicolo Schira?
    Both apparently only indicating that retirement is being reflected upon or being considered by Seba?
    Maybe my understanding of this is off?
    Last edited by Mr. Inbetween; 09-24-2022 at 05:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Sign him for Friday, just so that those of us who go have a reason to be interested…

btw this Juve Academy story is distressing. We have an academy problem. There is a ton of talent in the GTA and TFC is getting very little of it.

So the answer is that our most noteworthy player ever … is now recruiting young area players to skip by TFC?

Seba owns a lot of what happened here in 2019, and this past spring, but even still… this just feels of more of Bob's “my way or the highway” … and this has not landed where it should have. Seba should be in the TFC Academy setup.
    Down with the signing idea; easy way to satisfy almost all.

His and the other academies and their implications for TFC are an intriguing story; worth following and understanding.

Not so sure how 'a lot' of what happened with TFC in 2019, and this past spring is mostly on Seba? How so?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post

Not so sure how 'a lot' of what happened with TFC in 2019, and this past spring is mostly on Seba? How so?
    Seba was, it seems to me, poorly treated by TFC in 2018 and, since they left him twisting in a contract year, he engineered his exit to Saudi. I don’t blame him for that, Manning didn’t handle that right, but Manning probably blames Seba.

Then early this year, they gave Seba a tryout and he promptly left camp to go to Sampdoria. But not before Seba tried to negotiate a DP deal in the papers. Bradley was visibly irritated when discussing this with journos- he clearly felt taken advantage of. No idea if he is right to have felt that way, he may have been… but boy, he has been irritated at an awful lot of people, when you add it up.

So that’s my view about the backdrop around why the most popular, influential player in team history is now recruiting local players for someone else.

Manning, Bradley, Seba, none of them take a back seat to anyone in the “if you diss me, I will make you pay forever” department

There are going to be kids here, like a lot of kids, that absolutely worship Seba. He is going to be good at this.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-24-2022 at 06:45 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Seba was, it seems to me, poorly treated by TFC in 2018 and, since they left him twisting in a contract year, he engineered his exit to Saudi. I don’t blame him for that, Manning didn’t handle that right, but Manning probably blames Seba.

Then early this year, they gave Seba a tryout and he promptly left camp to go to Sampdoria. Bradley was visibly irritated when discussing this with journos- he clearly felt taken advantage of. No idea if he is right to have felt that way, but boy, he has been irritated at an awful lot of people, when you add it up.

So that’s my view about the backdrop around why the most popular, influential player in team history is now recruiting local players for someone else.
    Alright, I follow your take on most of this; am mostly in agreement.
    It sure does seem TFC 'never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity'.
    Not sure though if when Seba left for La Samp he did more so because once again TFC was still 'non committal'?
    That is, about 'after' the try-out situation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The club has gone down hill ever since Tim Leiweke left.

Manning and Bob are not a Masai Ujiri type which is what we need.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

didn't he leave in 2015?

also 95% of the mess we're in is due to ali curtis.

takes time to assemble a terrible squad, and just as long to disassemble it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If only we had a guy like Lieweke we might start spending money on known DPs like Gilberto instead of penney pinching on low cost scrubs like we have on the team now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    If only we had a guy like Lieweke we might start spending money on known DPs like Gilberto instead of penney pinching on low cost scrubs like we have on the team now.
    My position for some time has been that we do have guys like Lieweke; in the corporate shadows of MLSE.

They are... The King or Kingmaker Tanenbaum and his Trusted Hand Ujiri.

I don't believe, without them, their support, the current spend...
    Whatever your take may be... choose a word... is acquiesced to, permitted, or endorsed...
    By either Bell or Rogers; given each of their own ongoing situations and strategies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Inbetween View Post
    My position for some time has been that we do have guys like Lieweke; in the corporate shadows of MLSE.

They are... The King or Kingmaker Tanenbaum and his Trusted Hand Ujiri.

I don't believe, without them, their support, the current spend...
    Whatever your take may be... choose a word... is acquiesced to, permitted, or endorsed...
    By either Bell or Rogers; given each of their own ongoing situations and strategies.
    I agree that spending money on Bloody Big Deals doesn’t seem to be the problem. It’s the harder part of MLS money ball and youth development where we absolutely suck. This all rolls back to how clueless Manning is at running an elite football club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElvistheEvilScotsman View Post
    I agree that spending money on Bloody Big Deals doesn’t seem to be the problem. It’s the harder part of MLS money ball and youth development where we absolutely suck. This all rolls back to how clueless Manning is at running an elite football club.
    Yeah. I know most of the discussion here has been on Bradley but it’s hard not to look at Manning’s body of work and think he rode someone else’s hard work to one MLS cup and has otherwise been an underperformer

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yeah. I know most of the discussion here has been on Bradley but it’s hard not to look at Manning’s body of work and think he rode someone else’s hard work to one MLS cup and has otherwise been an underperformer
    That’s stating the obvious

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning has overseen a massive decline in performance. How else could anyone account for the fact that 2018, 2021, and 2022 have seen 3 of the 4 worst goals against records since the clubs’ inception? Under four different managers, no less. Clearly there is are issues that radiate from the top all the way to the bottom and vice versa. It’s like the club is directly run by Bell and Rogers. Or it at least has the same infuriating feel to it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

luke singh just got his 2nd red card of the CPL season and is looking a lil out of his depth...

good thing ali curtis gave him a 4 year deal...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    luke singh just got his 2nd red card of the CPL season and is looking a lil out of his depth...

I still loved him on the ball. Great vision and passing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post

I felt that Luke looked like the type of player who could be eased into MLS slowly, alongside a real backline leader plus an authoritative keeper, and w/o expecting too much from him at first. I felt he was pushed into the deep end too quickly with TFC and that it really harmed him.

Thanks for the CPL update. Looks like "easing him in" might not be enough for him at this level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I felt that Luke looked like the type of player who could be eased into MLS slowly, alongside a real backline leader plus an authoritative keeper, and w/o expecting too much from him at first. I felt he was pushed into the deep end too quickly with TFC and that it really harmed him.

Thanks for the CPL update. Looks like "easing him in" might not be enough for him at this level.
    When considering some of the variables with respect to judging Bob's performance, it's probably worth considering the snow job that Curtis sold Manning with respect to the immediate talent and value of some of our prospects.

I can see Bradley having been told part of his mandate is to integrate that group into the first team, taking a lot of personnel choices away from him in the first year. I can imagine Manning seeing that as part of a multi-prong argument that he's doing a good job to the board. "Our young prospects are worth $35m! They're just ready to break out, like Alphonso Davies..."

Perhaps Bob decided to give the man what he wants and let the natural roster/role bloodletting take place as a result.

I have to keep in mind how little we actually know of the internal politics there when I get pissed at the process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    When considering some of the variables with respect to judging Bob's performance, it's probably worth considering the snow job that Curtis sold Manning with respect to the immediate talent and value of some of our prospects.

I can see Bradley having been told part of his mandate is to integrate that group into the first team, taking a lot of personnel choices away from him in the first year. I can imagine Manning seeing that as part of a multi-prong argument that he's doing a good job to the board. "Our young prospects are worth $35m! They're just ready to break out, like Alphonso Davies..."

Perhaps Bob decided to give the man what he wants and let the natural roster/role bloodletting take place as a result.

I have to keep in mind how little we actually know of the internal politics there when I get pissed at the process.
    I started having this exact suspicion about a third into the season. It certainly fits with the disfunction of the last few seasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

Makes sense. Of course, very few are privy to that knowledge but what we know - 21 players gone and a bunch of young players out there who are clearly not ready to start does seem weirdly unusual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the one hand, I don’t think Bob would miss that sort of detail re: the quality of our youth players. But then again, he was stubbornly sticking to playing them for most of the year.

Here’s my crack pot theory: we are in salary cap hell on account of a boatload of bad contracts that could only partially be un-done via trades, buyouts, and transfers.

Kids were used this year because they are cheap. And being extra frugal in 2022 means a faster path to recovery later.

Youth was never a part of the long term plan but if anyone distinguished themselves it was an opportunity for an audition.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The lack of institutional history related to

a) youth development
    &
    b) goalkeeper development

has led to a lot of really bad media takes the last few years

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the one hand, I don’t think Bob would miss that sort of detail re: the quality of our youth players. But then again, he was stubbornly sticking to playing them for most of the year.

Here’s my crack pot theory: we are in salary cap hell on account of a boatload of bad contracts that could only partially be un-done via trades, buyouts, and transfers.

Kids were used this year because they are cheap. And being extra frugal in 2022 means a faster path to recovery later.

Youth was never a part of the long term plan but if anyone distinguished themselves it was an opportunity for an audition.
    Could be. I like this one. That is a coherent theory.

I would actually feel better if I thought Bob felt he had to consciously burn the year, as you suggest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve been attributing the situation partly to the manager/sporting director role. There wasn’t time to build a better roster before Bradley put on his coaching hat full time (and man, he had a lot to do on both fronts). Even so, the full back situation was puzzling. Two useful players there shown the door for a succession of kids who had never played there. It was a clean sweep, all-in commitment thing… but somehow I’d feel better if it wasn’t Bradley’s idea to sink with a bunch of players who obviously can’t swim.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good post.

i suspect a lot of this is right, especially considering the terrible value we have with the mavinga and bono contracts (they should be top 3 in their positions in the league on those wages, not massive liabilities).

i suspect we had to give up more than we let on to get rid of jozy, dwyer and lawrence, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah... the space I enjoy in-between possibility and probability.
    I echo ensco's and others' expressed coherent theory sentiments.
    A plausible solid narrative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good theory that also echo’s Bob’s comments earlier this year about cap space.