Page 32 of 89 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Please show me where Plata is saying he doesn't want to be here.

Like, a handful of slots above you in this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Larson's Twitter: Mariner on signings: Looking at (players) who are ex-U.S. internationals and Canadian internationals. I watched the Honduras game closely.
    Mariner on signings: There's a number of Canada players. You always want to bring them home. A lot of very good Canadian players out there.

Who played against Honduras and was out of contract?
    Scouring the wiki pages, the only possible one I found is Ledgerwood. he looked as good as Johnson and can play multiple positions on the right side. Would be a good signing IMO. 27 years old bouncing around lower division Germany last few years.

On 12 July 2010, Ledgerwood signed a two-year contract with SV Wehen Wiesbaden.

From this June 18th article http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1589/...lett-linked-to

Nik Ledgerwood: The 27-year-old midfielder will be a free agent next month when his contract with German third division side SV Wehen Wiesbaden expires. He's said to be looking for a move back into the 2. Bundesliga.
    Last edited by SirBobSaget; 07-04-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Good for you,because his "tweaking and playing the formation that will fit the players" is joke of the year.

from today's article in the sun:
    Joke of the year that has the punchline of 4 games undefeated! If all Mariner's jokes are that good, then I'll be happy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SirBobSaget View Post
    Scouring the wiki pages, the only possible one I found is Ledgerwood. he looked as good as Johnson and can play multiple positions on the right side. Would be a good signing IMO. 27 years old bouncing around lower division Germany last few years.

On 12 July 2010, Ledgerwood signed a two-year contract with SV Wehen Wiesbaden.

From this June 18th article http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1589/...lett-linked-to

Nik Ledgerwood: The 27-year-old midfielder will be a free agent next month when his contract with German third division side SV Wehen Wiesbaden expires. He's said to be looking for a move back into the 2. Bundesliga.
    Although I wasn't impressed with Ledgerwood in the international games, I'm sure he would do a good job in the MLS and would be useful for TFC.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Ha. Try telling that to the average fan.

Mariner said at the start it would be his way or the highway, so I'm not surprised you feel that way. Personally, writing the most creative and fastest player off the team at the age of 20 seems foolish, but I didn't take Mariner at face value when he said he'd fit the formation to the players.
    the Average Joe fan still thinks DeRo is face of the club!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ledgerwood just seems like a younger Dunfield to me. He did a really good job of shadowing for the CMNT the passed two games. The effort is there and he'd give you a full 90, but there isn't much there in the way of skill or IQ going forward. Like Dunfield, he seems to be overwhelmed when he has time on the ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flamehawk View Post
    Larson's Twitter: Mariner on signings: Looking at (players) who are ex-U.S. internationals and Canadian internationals. I watched the Honduras game closely.
    Mariner on signings: There's a number of Canada players. You always want to bring them home. A lot of very good Canadian players out there.

Who played against Honduras and was out of contract?
    Tosaint Ricketts wasn't being paid for a while and I think left his club.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Tosaint Ricketts wasn't being paid for a while and I think left his club.
    Should we start dusting off our Ricketts jerseys??

I actually would really like a Tosaint signing. He's really impressed me recently. Seems like a quality character too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking Paul Stalteri, he tried to make a go of it in Bundesliga but no teams were interestd. I think his last shot for playing time is here in Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rickets doesn't solve our Defensive issues.

What about David Edgar? He's bounced back and forth on loan. Could be a similar pickup to Ecks.

Also what about Issey Morgan Nakajima-Farran? Might help our midfield a bit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KGH View Post
    Rickets doesn't solve our Defensive issues.

What about David Edgar? He's bounced back and forth on loan. Could be a similar pickup to Ecks.

Also what about Issey Morgan Nakajima-Farran? Might help our midfield a bit
    Edgar finally broke into the Burnley 1st team last season, played in 49 games.
    Nakajima-Farran is reportedly signed to a Cyprus club.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh no, more Canadians, Pookie's gonna lose his shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a huge fan of most of these prospects but David Edgar would be a very solid signing. That being said, we're not going to be competing with Championship wages and he's probably not interested in coming home too soon.

Nakajima-Farran is a poor fit for the team at this time, would have been better under Winter. I'd be worried about him handling the physical play here, considering A-league fans in australia were accusing him of being soft, and they tend to be way more on the technical end of football compared to MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of most of these prospects but David Edgar would be a very solid signing. That being said, we're not going to be competing with Championship wages and he's probably not interested in coming home too soon.

Nakajima-Farran is a poor fit for the team at this time, would have been better under Winter. I'd be worried about him handling the physical play here, considering A-league fans in australia were accusing him of being soft, and they tend to be way more on the technical end of football compared to MLS.
    Agree with AG's Assessment. Edgar wont happen at this stage in his career. The Issey shipped sailed when he signed in cyprus, but would have made a great wide forward in winters 4-3-3.

Only canuck that could raise our level atm, is Hutch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp View Post
    Agree with AG's Assessment. Edgar wont happen at this stage in his career. The Issey shipped sailed when he signed in cyprus, but would have made a great wide forward in winters 4-3-3.

Only canuck that could raise our level atm, is Hutch.
    Kevin McKenna, Josh Simpson. Marcel de Jong. Even Simeon Jackson. this DeRo guy.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Kevin McKenna, Josh Simpson. Marcel de Jong. Even Simeon Jackson. this DeRo guy.

Simeon and Dero arent gonna happen.

kevin...meh.

de jong...average!

Josh due to system is a no fit.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simeon and Dero arent gonna happen.

kevin...meh.

de jong...average!

Josh due to system is a no fit.
    If you think Ashtone Morgan is better than de Jong... well...
    Kevin McKenna does helluva better job of organizing TFC defence than Cann
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Oh no, more Canadians, Pookie's gonna lose his shit.
    Ironic considering where I am typing from. iPads are wonderful.

Actually ok with the idea of bringing in 3 of the best available CDNs considering the quota is 3. After that, best (Domestic) man for the job.

1/3 of the roster with CDN passports is both a joke and symptom of mismanagement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    If you think Ashtone Morgan is better than de Jong... well...
    Kevin McKenna does helluva better job of organizing TFC defence than Cann
    maybe he is! maybe he isnt! but ashtone hasnt done anything to lose his spot to a marginally better de jong.

and Mckenna is good yes, but I dont have the same centerback fetish as everyone else. I would prefer a midfielder of equal or greater quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe he is! maybe he isnt! but ashtone hasnt done anything to lose his spot to a marginally better de jong.
    I agree Morgan is a good bargain option in MLS. I'd like to see a player of similar quality push him for his spot, but a huge upgrade is a waste of resources IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and Mckenna is good yes, but I dont have the same centerback fetish as everyone else. I would prefer a midfielder of equal or greater quality.
    You're satisfied with our back line? REALLY?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I don't think our backline is great, but I think people under estimate how badly our midfield needs to be improved. We've collected a bunch of players who simply don't complement each other properly and aren't a good fit for MLS.

As a group they aren't very dynamic going forward, aren't very fast, and aren't very physical. I'd find one money in the bank defensive mid and one bargain one to upgrade dunfield, as well as a wide player who has speed but doesn't mind getting his nose dirty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    You're satisfied with our back line? REALLY?
    I am willing to let it gel instead of tearing it apart, every time a goal goes in. If you look at the MlS in general shoty defending is part of the league.

We should be looking at controlling play(midfield) and good team defending.

Spains back line isnt that good at defending(more attacking), but their midfield doesnt allow teams to test that theory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I agree Morgan is a good bargain option in MLS. I'd like to see a player of similar quality push him for his spot, but a huge upgrade is a waste of resources IMO
    I thought thats what Aceval was for?

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know Ricketts and Edgar have both made comments about liking the city / team.

Who knows, we will have to keep our ears to the ground and look to twitter I guess.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No chance of Edgar coming IMO. He played nearly every game for Burnley last season. He would cost a pretty penny in transfer fee alone, and then a wage that would put him in DP status, for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plata Update:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2012/...th_toronto_fc/

..."The reality of the situation is he's a Toronto FC player, he will remain a Toronto FC player during the course of that loan," Cochrance said. "I don't know what to say other than what I'm telling you is the situation...

..."You can speak to Ecuadorian news reports, you can speak to Twitter reports. What I'm telling you is the truth that we are working through the specifics of that six-month loan agreement, we think that's the best environment for Joao to continue his development and at the end of six months he will be a Toronto FC player again."...

..."I don't think he's forcing our hand or he has gone rogue or any of that sort of thing," Cochrane said. "I just think the dynamics of this situation are different...

..."I don't want anyone to think that this has been a sudden thing or that our hand has been forced in any way by any club. This has been something we've been talking about for a while."...

..."Again, we're talking about a 19-, 20-year-old player who is being pulled in a couple of different directions and one of those directions is by a former club. I don't see a problem that if it fell through that we'd have any issue bringing the player back."...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I think we forget this is a development league. Plata didn't dream of winning MLS Cups as a kid. He probably saw his future in big leagues and international competitions. As a footballer, Plata was more than happy to resign here in the offseason. He, as a 19-20 yr old had an opportunity to learn under Aron Winter. Something even JDG was ecstatic about when the announcement was made last year.

3 Months later, he's out. What's different?

Over the last month and a bit, the team is gone to a traditional model. If it that article reference's Plata not being happy with the direction of the team, who can blame him? He left his home country to learn skills to develop his career. Not chase down long balls.
    I was thinking about this over lunchtime!:

It's not as if Plata was signed with the club and Plata came knowing the system and formation. Plata was picked through the draft at a VERY low position. Plata was very lucky to be drafted at all, and in other seasons he would have been so LOW that he would have been on the supplementary draft or not on the draft at all! Plata was not originally purchased by TFC - he was offered as a draft loan player to the whole MLS league from his parent club.

So, now that Plata has got some reputation, he needs to take a reality check, if he thinks that he doesn't want to be here anymore as the "system doesn't suit him". It's NOT as though he knew the system here before he was picked in the draft. Plata could have easily been picked by any other team in the MLS and been playing any other system. TFC have put Plata's name on the map, not the other way around.

If Plata thinks that he can ONLY play for type of team, his whole career, that are playing technically superior, short passing football, then he really needs to get a grip! Every player needs to play different systems, and be able to adapt. Players who cannot do that, won't have a career and will fail (good example is Iro, good at the long ball in one team, horrible in the technical game in another team).

Plata was brought to the club as a draft player, not knowing if he would be successful or not. Other teams didn't want the guy (44th on the draft, I think? clearly other teams weren't interested!). He could have equally been signed by any of the other "kick and run" teams in the MLS, just missed out of the draft completely, or picked last (is that even being picked, that's a team who has no choice HAVING to pick the last draft number!).

If Plata was specifically scouted, and then purchased by TFC, then Plata would have every justification to throw a fit if the club changes direction. But that's not the case here. A Draft pick, at 44th, is a gamble, and he needs to realise that many other clubs turned him down. TFC gave him the opportunity, and he needs to stick it out, even with a new system.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nestease View Post
    It now sounds like this has all been going on for much longer than Mariner has been head coach? I don't think any of this is Mariner's doing at all.

Plata was dropped as first 11 choice by Winter in April/May, so this could have been all going on for a little while now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T-boy View Post
    I was thinking about this over lunchtime!:

It's not as if Plata was signed with the club and Plata came knowing the system and formation. Plata was picked through the draft at a VERY low position. Plata was very lucky to be drafted at all, and in other seasons he would have been so LOW that he would have been on the supplementary draft or not on the draft at all! Plata was not originally purchased by TFC - he was offered as a draft loan player to the whole MLS league from his parent club.

So, now that Plata has got some reputation, he needs to take a reality check, if he thinks that he doesn't want to be here anymore as the "system doesn't suit him". It's NOT as though he knew the system here before he was picked in the draft. Plata could have easily been picked by any other team in the MLS and been playing any other system. TFC have put Plata's name on the map, not the other way around.

If Plata thinks that he can ONLY play for type of team, his whole career, that are playing technically superior, short passing football, then he really needs to get a grip! Every player needs to play different systems, and be able to adapt. Players who cannot do that, won't have a career and will fail (good example is Iro, good at the long ball in one team, horrible in the technical game in another team).

Plata was brought to the club as a draft player, not knowing if he would be successful or not. Other teams didn't want the guy (44th on the draft, I think? clearly other teams weren't interested!). He could have equally been signed by any of the other "kick and run" teams in the MLS, just missed out of the draft completely, or picked last (is that even being picked, that's a team who has no choice HAVING to pick the last draft number!).

If Plata was specifically scouted, and then purchased by TFC, then Plata would have every justification to throw a fit if the club changes direction. But that's not the case here. A Draft pick, at 44th, is a gamble, and he needs to realise that many other clubs turned him down. TFC gave him the opportunity, and he needs to stick it out, even with a new system.
    I could be wrong about this, and anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Plata was still owned by Quito. So playing for TFC was actually his decision in the first place as, I would expect, having half his ownership dealt to Toronto. He could always have just stuck with Quito if he didn't want to be here (or if he was drafted by Columbus or some other long-ball playing team).